On no, did I pick the wrong Greek Yogurt? :(

Options

Replies

• jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    bgorum wrote: »
    Ok. So, I have just one more suggestion, then I'm out. Writing everything down seems like a hassle to me, but if it works for you great. If you have access to a computer at least once per day, do this:

Pre plan your meals and snacks, and I agree with the person who said to eat more frequent small meals. If you pre-plan and plug it all into MFP, you'll know ahead of time if your macros are off and you can tweak it to get to your goals. Then eat according to your plan. I do this as much as possible. If you look at my diary for today, I've already entered everything even though I've just gotten through lunch. And I did have to change a few things to get to the macros I was aiming for.

Even if you don't have access to a computer and you're going to write it all down anyway, you can still do the same pre-planning. Might seem like a bit of a hassle to pre-plan, but it is very useful and effective.

Best of luck.

Thank you for the suggestions. I actually know almost all the calories already from the meals I eat since I eat a lot of the same things every day. I know all the calories, but not the macros completely. It's hard for me to find out all the macros of my meals since at dinner every night, someone else cooks something. So it would be hard to find out the macros because I dont know every single item that was used in the food. I could estimate breakfast, lunch, and my snacks, but I would miss out on dinner which is a huge meal since I always save 700-900 calories just for dinner. The calories are easier to estimate for dinner and I always leave a lot of calories left over for dinner to make sure. :)

I usually do pre-plan all my meals and snacks. I do eat a lot of frequent and small meals, but I always find myself starving and I usually eat a lot at dinner because of it. So I usually save a lot of calories at dinner because of this. I'm not sure why I'm always so hungry though since I think I eat well and give myself plenty of food.

Here is what I ate today besides dinner:
    Greek Yogurt with berries: 185 calories, 1 banana: 110 calories, turkey sandwich: 160 calories, 1 apple: 110 calories, 1 cucumber: 55 calories, 1 tomato: 30 calories, old cheese sandwich: 200 calories, Special K cookie: 100 calories. Total: 950 calories without dinner. Dinner was 2 big bowls of chicken soup which I'm estimating around 700-750 calories. :) It could be way less, but I always prefer to over estimate.

I might have another piece of fruit or a veggie later if I'm hungry. But what do you think of my meals? Do you think I should add or take away anything?
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, food is a personal choice. If that were my menu for the day (excluding dinner), I would ditch the bread from both sandwiches and the special k cookie. I would use those saved calories to add in more protein and fat. The bread and cookie just aren't worth it to me as they aren't very filling for the number of calories. Others will disagree.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Fruit always winds up being calorie expensive for me- so if you're finding you need a place to cut- cut the fruit down.

But it's looking well rounded and solid. nothing stands out.
  • jenniator
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ultimately, food is a personal choice. If that were my menu for the day (excluding dinner), I would ditch the bread from both sandwiches and the special k cookie. I would use those saved calories to add in more protein and fat. The bread and cookie just aren't worth it to me as they aren't very filling for the number of calories. Others will disagree.

Thanks for your opinion! The bread I eat is only 115 calories and it's whole-grain. :) It actually has a lot of protein in it as well! I find it satisfying and more filling, so I always keep it :) The bread I eat is really just a small roll, but I find it delicious and it satisfies my need for a sandwich without as many calories as other bread is. I was craving chocolate horribly, so I had to have that chocolate cookie ha ha! Pretty well for me since I would eat the whole box before.
  • jenniator
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Fruit always winds up being calorie expensive for me- so if you're finding you need a place to cut- cut the fruit down.

Thanks :D As you can see, every meal I eat doesn't really contain a lot of calories. So I think it's alright. I think it's better to eat fruit since there are a lot of worse things and honestly, I'm not sure what else is healthy that I could have as a snack. Do you have any recommendations? I also have used boiled eggs as snacks, but they satisfy me as much as a apple does. I find a apple can satisfy me more than a whole cucumber, although the cucumber is a lot less calories. The sweetness of a apple also satisfies my sweet craving.
  • cioube
    cioube Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Low fat gree yogurt isn't as nice as the full fat yogurt (I find). The fact it's full fat is generally more filling too, it's just more nutrient rich and "hard" to digest (this may also be my opinion).
    In France, it's so hard to find low fat and the only nice one that is low fat is Fage. But it's like 2€ for a 170g pot ... no thank you ! I get four full fat ones for that price.
    Don't eat what you don't like.
    For protein, make an egg muffin, have scrambled eggs, with a little bit of ham or whatever. It takes some getting used to but I find salty breakfasts are far more satisfying and filling.
  • jenniator
    edited April 2015
    Options
    cioube wrote: »
    Low fat gree yogurt isn't as nice as the full fat yogurt (I find). The fact it's full fat is generally more filling too, it's just more nutrient rich and "hard" to digest (this may also be my opinion).
    In France, it's so hard to find low fat and the only nice one that is low fat is Fage. But it's like 2€ for a 170g pot ... no thank you ! I get four full fat ones for that price.
    Don't eat what you don't like.
    For protein, make an egg muffin, have scrambled eggs, with a little bit of ham or whatever. It takes some getting used to but I find salty breakfasts are far more satisfying and filling.

If full fat yogurt is more filling than the 0% yogurt, I will be extremely happy. :D I really am just trying to find foods that are the most filling. I know how you feel :( Here in the Netherlands, Fage is the only 0% one we have and it's so expensive! I did have scrambled eggs before, but I couldn't have it too often since the grease was to much for my stomach in the morning. So I'm thinking about boiled eggs maybe. :)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »

Thanks :D As you can see, every meal I eat doesn't really contain a lot of calories. So I think it's alright. I think it's better to eat fruit since there are a lot of worse things and honestly, I'm not sure what else is healthy that I could have as a snack. Do you have any recommendations? I also have used boiled eggs as snacks, but they satisfy me as much as a apple does. I find a apple can satisfy me more than a whole cucumber, although the cucumber is a lot less calories. The sweetness of a apple also satisfies my sweet craving.

The small calories aren't the issue- I eat small meals a day as well.

merely pointing out that- fruit adds up. If you like it- eat them.

I just would rather eat more steak than more fruit- was merely an additional thought like bgorum said. If you're happy with it go for it.
  • jenniator
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »

The small calories aren't the issue- I eat small meals a day as well.

merely pointing out that- fruit adds up. If you like it- eat them.

I just would rather eat more steak than more fruit- was merely an additional thought like bgorum said. If you're happy with it go for it.

Your absolutely right! I do get 220 calories just from 1 apple and 1 banana. But I don't mind since there healthy calories and have lots of vitamins. :D I find it better to eat fruits and veggies since it helps me not go overboard for dinner. It's better to eat 110 calories in a piece of fruit than to eat a extra 600 calories of another plate of dinner. :) But I do save more calories for dinner so I can eat a bit more ha ha. But that's just me. But like you said, everyone has their own strategy and preference.
  • BABetter1
    Options
    220 calories for an apple or 100 calories for a cup of egg whites or 120 calories for 4 oz of 99% lean turkey breast cutlets . . . . protein keeps me from getting hungry, which is what you are complaining about throughout this thread.

No offense, but what I see you saying is: I need to change something because of this issue I'm having, but I really don't want to change a single thing I'm doing.
  • jenniator
    edited April 2015
    Options
    220 calories for an apple or 100 calories for a cup of egg whites or 120 calories for 4 oz of 99% lean turkey breast cutlets . . . . protein keeps me from getting hungry, which is what you are complaining about throughout this thread.

No offense, but what I see you saying is: I need to change something because of this issue I'm having, but I really don't want to change a single thing I'm doing.

The apple I eat is 110 calories. I also ate a banana for 110 calories, so 220 calories for 1 apple and 1 banana. I do eat eggs and egg whites, but I like to eat other things as well. Are you serious? If I didn't want to change anything, then why am I asking for opinions and even using them? I tried greek yogurt with berries for the first time today because it was recommended to me and I thought it would be fun to try. Just because I don't want a chicken or turkey for breakfast doesn't mean I don't want to listen to anyone's advice. I have IBS, so I can't handle heavy meals or meats early in the morning. I always wait to have meats at night because my stomach is usually able to handle heavier meals at night due to eating small meals from the day. I also have to be careful because the butter or oil the meat is cooked in can upset my stomach, especially if it's earlier in the day or even afternoon. I can't even eat scrambled eggs because the grease from the oil or butter is to much for my stomach even though I love scrambled eggs with veggies. So someone recommended boiled eggs to me a while back and I have been having them ever since because they have a lot of protein and are light enough for me.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I eat full fat greek yogurt on a regular basis. It is more filling. My favorite way to eat is in overnight oatmeal.

1/2c old fashioned oats, 1/4 c milk, 1/4c greek yogurt and I add either a tsp of honey or maple syrup, a splash of vanilla extract, and some cinnamon.

You mix it up and put it in the fridge before bed. The next morning you just heat in the microwave. After I heat it I add some walnuts or blueberries. Its pretty light at 300 ish calories but keeps me full until lunch time. I think its the protien, fiber, carbs, fat mix that works.
  • BABetter1
    Options
    Not trying to tick you off. Please take this in the gentlest tone, as it is meant. Just throughout the thread, the suggestions being made are met with "I can't" or "What I'm doing works for me." I understand "I can't because of IBS". I don't understand the other. If it was working for you, would you be asking for advice?
  • jenniator
    Options
    I eat full fat greek yogurt on a regular basis. It is more filling. My favorite way to eat is in overnight oatmeal.

1/2c old fashioned oats, 1/4 c milk, 1/4c greek yogurt and I add either a tsp of honey or maple syrup, a splash of vanilla extract, and some cinnamon.

You mix it up and put it in the fridge before bed. The next morning you just heat in the microwave. After I heat it I add some walnuts or blueberries. Its pretty light at 300 ish calories but keeps me full until lunch time. I think its the protien, fiber, carbs, fat mix that works.

That is wonderful! I'm glad to hear the full fat greek yogurt is more filling. :) I had it today with berries and thought it was delicious! I never heard of overnight oatmeal, but your recipe sounds delicious! If you don't mind me asking, what is the point of putting it in the fridge over night? Does it add more flavor or do something else?
  • jenniator
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Not trying to tick you off. Please take this in the gentlest tone, as it is meant. Just throughout the thread, the suggestions being made are met with "I can't" or "What I'm doing works for me." I understand "I can't because of IBS". I don't understand the other. If it was working for you, would you be asking for advice?

Sorry, it's just a sensitive subject for me since I had to change my whole life style and eating habits because of my condition. It's not that I don't want eat those things, in fact I would love too, but I have to be careful with my stomach. Trust me, it's not fun having to run to the bathroom constantly. What did people suggest that I said I can't or I don't want to besides the chicken, turkey, or other things that were to heavy on my stomach? People said oatmeal, but I already eat oatmeal. People said eggs and egg whites, I eat both already. Some people also recommended protein powder, but it's not worth it to me if it doesn't fill me up at all and it adds extra calories. My main goal isn't primary protein. I just am trying to find more protein based items since I heard protein and fiber is what fills you up the most.
  • BABetter1
    Options
    Again, it's not an argument. Just a recurring theme I perceived. There are other sources of protein, and if you need more protein and fat (based on what you said about trying to get in more protein and fat) but stay within the same calorie range, then you are going to have to swap out something . . . If plant based foods are more digestion friendly for you, maybe look into some good plant based sources of protein. There are lots of vegan folks in these forums who might have some suggestions.
  • BABetter1
    Options
    Oh, and I poach my egg whites with cheese and veggies and whatever the heck I want for flavoring except oil or butter. You could do scrambled whole eggs the same way. I just prefer the whites.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Oh, and I poach my egg whites with cheese and veggies and whatever the heck I want for flavoring except oil or butter. You could do scrambled whole eggs the same way. I just prefer the whites.

Thats a good idea, although I'm not sure how to not get the egg whites or eggs to not stick to the pan without using butter or oil. I tried using a spray here in the Netherlands, but it didn't work at all.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    cast iron and bacon grease.
  • jenniator
    Options
    cast iron and bacon grease.

ha ha thank you! But I'm trying to avoid any grease, oil, or butter in the morning since my stomach can't handle it :)