I'm trying to shread/ not lose muscle

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Funny because the ones you listed do not.

I was merely pointing out how easily it is to find the information. Now that you know it's out there, you can look them up. Those articles posted are written and published by doctors, certified nutrionists and/or CTPs. I usually find that they are educated in their fields and consider them reputable sources.

You can't just make claims then not back them up and keep fighting for them and expect people to take you seriously. Not a way to be credible at all. You make the claim the onus is on you to back it up.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I was merely pointing out how easily it is to find the information. Now that you know it's out there, you can look them up. Those articles posted are written and published by doctors, certified nutrionists and/or CTPs. I usually find that they are educated in their fields and consider them reputable sources.

It's not about how easy it is to find, it's easy to find UFO sightings by assumedly reputable people. It's about actual science backing up your and their claims. Studies, and not just a single one when everything else says the opposite.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I'm going to request you don't tell me to look for articles or link me to random articles, I want you to provide actual science based information to back up your claims.

Request denied. Do your own research.

challenge accepted..

here you go:

The Minnesota Study

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

Every controlled study where a deficit was created resulted in weight loss 100% of the time. Regardless of every other factor. A caloric deficit = weight loss. Always. Even in actual starvation studies like the often cited Minnesota Starvation Experiment.

In this study, 36 men were put on a 24 week long “starvation diet” consisting of two meals per day containing a total of 1560 calories, and that amount was then reduced further throughout the study to ensure weight loss kept happening

For these men, this represented a daily deficit of 50% below maintenance (compare that to a typically recommended “ideal” moderate deficit of 20%). Oh, and they all had to walk 22 miles per week as well.

Guess what happened? All of the participants lost approximately 25% of their starting body weight and reached about 5% body fat. So they were purposely (semi) starved for 6 straight months, and they all lost tons of weight/body fat.

So if you were correct the participants would of gained weight, because survival mode....
  • ndj1979
    Options

It's not about how easy it is to find, it's easy to find UFO sightings by assumedly reputable people. It's about actual science backing up your and their claims. Studies, and not just a single one when everything else says the opposite.

you mean like this..

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/vida_alien/blueplanetproject/blueplanetproject02.htm

snippet:

"There are some one hundred sixty (160) or more known types of Aliens visiting our world (Earth) at the present time, these are the most commonly seen types..."

it must be true because article on the internet...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Another thing.

http://www.cancer.net/research-and-advocacy/introduction-cancer-research/medical-news-how-know-if-its-accurate

It's about articles talking about cancer in particular but can be extended to pretty much any article talking about research.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Ray, i've done zero HIIT cardio in the last three months, but have lost 18 lbs
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Ray, i've done zero HIIT cardio in the last three twelve months, but have lost 18 100 lbs
    Fat comes off where your genetics tell it to come off, during a caloric deficit.

All other things being equal, if sprinting for 10 minutes burns X total calories and then you eat back those X calories, you won't ever lose the belly fat (while you're alive).

• erickirb
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ray, i've done zero HIIT cardio in the last three twelve months, but have lost 18 100 lbs
    Fat comes off where your genetics tell it to come off, during a caloric deficit.

All other things being equal, if sprinting for 10 minutes burns X total calories and then you eat back those X calories, you won't ever lose the belly fat (while you're alive).

Yes you will still lose belly fat (eventually) by eating back exercise calories, assuming you are in a deficit with your calorie target. That is how MFP is designed to work.

The body will choose where it comes from, but lose enough and you will lose everywhere.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited April 2015
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Yes you will still lose belly fat (eventually) by eating back exercise calories, assuming you are in a deficit with your calorie target. That is how MFP is designed to work.

The body will choose where it comes from, but lose enough and you will lose everywhere.
    "All other things being equal..."

If you burn X with exercise and eat back X, there will be no net change.
  • erickirb
    edited April 2015
    Options

Of course, but that isn't how MFP is set up or what he was talking about.

Eating 1500 and not exercising would have the same weight loss effect of eating 1900 and burning 400 cals from cardio. both net to 1500.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Eating 1500 and not exercising would have the same weight loss effect of eating 1900 and burning 400 cals from cardio. both net to 1500.
    Which is what I said about 45 posts ago.

Ultimately, the belly fat goes away because of the caloric deficit, with or without cardio.
  • erickirb
    Options

Ultimately, the belly fat goes away because of the caloric deficit, with or without cardio.

I saw that... I guess I don't get why you quoted Cap apollo and made your statement
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

i know all i'm saying is just n=1 anecdotal evidence but....

i've ate at a 1lb per week deficit January through March. i added a lot more fruits and vegetables to my diet, and cut back on alcohol. i started being much more accurate with my diet, to the point that if i couldn't find it in the database, i wouldn't eat it.

like i said, i've lost about 18 pounds.

this is a triathlete talking here, and i'm saying it doesn't matter how much cardio you do. it's all about how, what, and in some cases, when you eat.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

I saw that... I guess I don't get why you quoted Cap apollo and made your statement
    The (modified) quote was to agree with Capt_Apollo and the statement was to disagree with RayInMotion. Sorry for the lack of clarity.
  • erickirb
    Options

The (modified) quote was to agree with Capt_Apollo and the statement was to disagree with RayInMotion. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

Gotchya, sorry I missed that. Probably since he didn't quote Ray, just wrote his name. I am tracking now.
  • RayInMotion
    RayInMotion Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Complete and utter BS

Since you guys don't want to read the articles I reference or do your own research into how lower calories lower your metabolism, here's something from Oxford University on a study of reduced calorie intake, and how it reduces metabolism and causes you to lose lean body mass. Took me all of 30 seconds to find:

"Subjects lost a significant amount of weight, approximately 9% of baseline weight (95.2 ± 3.2 kg), a significant amount of fat-free mass, approximately 5% of baseline (52.6 ± 2.7 kg), and a significant amount of fat mass, approximately 15% of baseline (42.6 ± 1.8 kg). In addition to losing mass, the following significant changes from baseline measurements were reported in the post-diet assessment period: a 15% decrease in absolute resting metabolic rate (1789.8 ± 80.2 kcal/24 hours, baseline), and an 8% decrease in resting metabolic rate relative to fat-free mass (33.8 ± 0.7 kcal/24 hours/kg fat-free mass, baseline)."
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Do you think you burn 9% of your baseline weight, 5% of lean body mass, or 15% of baseline fat when you sprint for 10 minutes?

If so, I could've lost almost 100 pounds by sprinting for 30 minutes. If not, how's that relevant to not eating a handful of calories rather than sprint off those calories?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Complete and utter BS

Since you guys don't want to read the articles I reference or do your own research into how lower calories lower your metabolism, here's something from Oxford University on a study of reduced calorie intake, and how it reduces metabolism and causes you to lose lean body mass. Took me all of 30 seconds to find:

"Subjects lost a significant amount of weight, approximately 9% of baseline weight (95.2 ± 3.2 kg), a significant amount of fat-free mass, approximately 5% of baseline (52.6 ± 2.7 kg), and a significant amount of fat mass, approximately 15% of baseline (42.6 ± 1.8 kg). In addition to losing mass, the following significant changes from baseline measurements were reported in the post-diet assessment period: a 15% decrease in absolute resting metabolic rate (1789.8 ± 80.2 kcal/24 hours, baseline), and an 8% decrease in resting metabolic rate relative to fat-free mass (33.8 ± 0.7 kcal/24 hours/kg fat-free mass, baseline)."

http://m.fampra.oxfordjournals.org/content/16/2/196.full

That's extremely pathetic of you to misrepresent that study to try and back up what you are claiming.

Let's look at the stuff you just decided to leave out of quoting.

Like 1100 calorie diets and 15% protein intake. I guess you didn't think that was relevant huh?
    Subjects in all three diet groups attended a weekly nutrition class on weight loss. Subjects kept diet records that were evaluated each week. Corrections were made to facilitate a gradual and consistent weight loss of approximately one to two pounds per week. The nutrition intervention included use of a high-fibre, high-carbohydrate supplement. Based on participants' food records, there were no significant differences in nutrient intake among the three diet groups. Intakes approximated 1194 kilocalories per day, 70% from carbohydrate, 15% from protein and less than 15% from fat.

Also
    The control group showed no change in body composition over the 12-week period. All three intervention groups had a significant decline in body mass at 6 weeks, and again at 12 weeks for an average total weight loss of 6.2 kg in the diet-only group, 6.8 kg for the diet plus aerobic exercise group, and 7.0 kg for the diet, aerobic and resistance training group (standard deviations only presented graphically). By 12 weeks there were also significant decreases in percentage body fat: 5.8, 8.0 and 4.3%, respectively. However, there were no significant differences between groups. There were no significant changes in fat-free mass in any of the groups at any time period. There were also no significant changes in resting metabolic rate (measured in absolute terms or relative to body mass) within groups over time or between groups over time. Linear regression models between resting metabolic rate and fat-free mass were also tested. These models demonstrated a significant relation only in the diet and aerobic exercise group, such that resting metabolic rate increased as fat-free mass increased (at baseline, y = 442.74 + 23.00x, r = 0.89, P ≤ 0.05; at week 12, y = 88.574 + 29.77x, r = 0.79, P ≤ 0.05).

someone just got busted....