is there any ice cream that is ok to eat?

Options
yukino3006
yukino3006 Posts: 34 Member
I love icecream and its hard to let it go, so is there any brand or any way to make homemade icecream that is healthier?

Replies

• MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    ALL ice cream is okay to eat! Just log it in and have it fit your daily calorie allowance. Obviously you can't eat a whole carton--who would want to?--but a bowl of any good ice cream can be worked in. Get the good stuff, don't waste the calories on "ice milk". You can buy an ice cream maker and make your own with fresh fruit, ginger, flavors you can't buy. I can't wait until the Jewel strawberries and wild blackberries are ripe!
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Weight Watcher and Skinny Cow make ice cream bars and sandwhiches that are between 100 and 200 calories that are super yummy
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I eat a bowl of bluebell vanilla 3 or 4 times a week. With chocolate syrup too.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    All ice cream is okay to eat, as long as it is done so in moderation.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Sorbets have a lot of sugar, just like ice cream, but no fat. Use organic fruit and raw sugar and it's not terrible, in moderation and as long as it fits in with your calories and macros.
  • suunflower
    suunflower Posts: 36
    Options
    I personally love yoplait's froyo bars! And weight watchers is amazing too! Anything single serve, really. But calcium and protein is always a plus.
  • StrongFitSexy
    Options
    There is a popsicle called edy's outshine no sugar added fruit bar its only 25 calories!
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I like Breyers double churn ice creams like the triple chocolate.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Ice cream can be difficult to replace, but today's frozen yogurts have a taste that is more and more similar to that of ice cream. Ice cream is typically made from whole cream, milk and high amounts of added sugar. All of these have been found to contain high amounts of saturated fats, which lead to the development of cardiovascular disease, stroke and even some cancers. Unlike these ingredients, today's frozen yogurt is typically just that - yogurt that has been whipped and frozen. Because of this, it is substantially lower in fat and calories. For best results, choose frozen yogurt that has been made with low or non fat dairy products.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/craving-ice-cream-3-healthy-alternatives.html#b
  • cherio256
    cherio256 Posts: 219
    Options
    I eat whatever kind I want. Just a half cup or whole cup depending on how many calories I have available
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Breyers and Mayfield have some sugar free icecreams and theres named brand and store brand fudge bars that are 40 calories each and no sugar.
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm ice cream......

Wait, what was the question?
  • froyojr
    froyojr Posts: 60
    Options
    I'm thinking of making this lower fat/slightly less sweeter than normal Matcha Ice Cream for my birthday: http://justonecookbook.com/blog/recipes/green-tea-ice-cream-matcha-ice-cream/

Seems a good compromise as long as I don't have the whole container. :)
  • jmbond06
    jmbond06 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I really like Yoplait's Honey Caramel frozen greek yogurt. Nom nom nom.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Edy's slow churned no sugar added has DELICIOUS flavors! 100-120 calories per 1/2 cup. Yummm.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ALL ice cream is okay to eat! Just log it in and have it fit your daily calorie allowance. Obviously you can't eat a whole carton--who would want to?--but a bowl of any good ice cream can be worked in. Get the good stuff, don't waste the calories on "ice milk". You can buy an ice cream maker and make your own with fresh fruit, ginger, flavors you can't buy. I can't wait until the Jewel strawberries and wild blackberries are ripe!

this! there are plenty of people on this site who have lost weight and significantly decreased bodyfat (sarauk2sf comes to mind) who regularly eat real ice cream. in fact i just ate ice cream everyday this week and still lost 3 pounds. just work it into your calories and your macros.

i love the idea of making your own too. i recently had some lavendar flavored ice cream that was so good i would love to make some of that on my own. in the meantime i stick with haagen dasz or talenti brand
  • daydream_believer
    Options
    yes I agree with the others that all icecream is okay in moderation, however I also know that skinny cow tastes ABSOLTUELY incredible.. and fits my macros a hell of a lot better than the others I would choose. so I say skinny cow all the way (I have a skinny cow sundae EVERY night! ) :)
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Ditto above on frozen yoghurt. I always have chocolate frozen yoghurt (if you're in the UK, it's Waitrose Love Life). It's so very tasty, and creamy, and chocolatey. 139cals for 100g which I think is great :bigsmile:

Ben & Jerry's also do frozen yoghurt versions of a number of their ice creams (I think they're labelled FroYo). I used to have them and remember them being less than the original ice cream. Just had a look on their website though and the nutrition info shows a serving as only having about 20cals difference...! Hm...

Another thing I do is freeze yoghurt/mousse. Eg, there are some low fat chocolate mousses that I really like, so I freeze some and it's goes ice cream-like. No work involved, just stick it in the freezer.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    It's about portion control. I don't deny myself anything as long as I moderate how much I eat. I ate eggs fried in bacon grease yesterday. Yeah, I did it, and I liked it.
  • BIGGGMOMMMA
    BIGGGMOMMMA Posts: 190
    Options
    Yesterday I went grocery shopping and spent 20 minutes in the ice cream isle checking the calorie counts. Finally I sighed and decided I could live without it.....Don't want diet ice cream, for me it was all or nothing. It was like saying goodbye to my first love...hahaha