is there any ice cream that is ok to eat?

Options

Replies

• primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Coconut Bliss is a great alternative.
    They have a variety of flavors and it does not taste like coconut.
    I have made zucchini mint ice cream, which is just frozen zucchini, banana and mint flavoring blended together.
  • dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132
    Options
    I usually go with Arctic Zero, as there's only 150 calories per pint. Taste good, and I can eat as much as I want with zero guilt.

Most of the flavors I have tried (Mint Chocolate, Peanut Butter) taste great. Except for the coffee flavor, which for some reason tastes like boiled hot dogs.
  • jonnathan500
    Options
    Hi,

I am a yoga instructor and have some background in yoga perspectives in food. Here is my thinking on ice cream:

Cold food dampens the digestive system. So best to eat it in the afternoon when the digestion is strongest.
    Foods with as little ingredients is best. We like Breyers vanilla; one of their vanilla's have 5 ingredients.
    Making your own is best esp. when you use less processed ingredients such as cane sugar, agave or maple syrup. Also, you have control over how much sugar you use. (less is better of course)
    Probably not combining it with other foods is good to increase digestion power...for that matter, what else can you do it heat up digestive energy? Pro-biotics, etc.

Hope this helps!
  • jonnathan500
    Options
    Very good idea.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    the homemade kind.

the kind you get at a little shop in town where they make their own with local ingredients (offering 3 flavors today).

the kind with 5 ingredients only and no weird stuff added.

the kind you get at a maple sugar shack (where they make their own using their own maple syrup).

At least those are the types that are more than just okay to eat. To the point where I have trouble eating ice cream filled with fake crap and chemicals.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Hi,

I am a yoga instructor and have some background in yoga perspectives in food. Here is my thinking on ice cream:

Cold food dampens the digestive system. So best to eat it in the afternoon when the digestion is strongest.
    Foods with as little ingredients is best. We like Breyers vanilla; one of their vanilla's have 5 ingredients.
    Making your own is best esp. when you use less processed ingredients such as cane sugar, agave or maple syrup. Also, you have control over how much sugar you use. (less is better of course)
    Probably not combining it with other foods is good to increase digestion power...for that matter, what else can you do it heat up digestive energy? Pro-biotics, etc.

Hope this helps!

See my examples. They are not made in a factory using non-organic and hormone filled (and possibly antibiotic filled milk). I know for sure the example you gave...Breyers...is made in a factory and is not using local organic dairy. Try to find a little ice cream shop (or make your own). The ice cream that's not from a factory is so much better for you and more delicious too!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I usually go with Arctic Zero, as there's only 150 calories per pint. Taste good, and I can eat as much as I want with zero guilt.

Most of the flavors I have tried (Mint Chocolate, Peanut Butter) taste great. Except for the coffee flavor, which for some reason tastes like boiled hot dogs.

Sounds super processed. :huh:
  • Onesnap
    Options
    A McDonald's ice cream cone is only 170 calories. I'm sure you could work that into your calories.

I don't think that's actually real ice cream.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Banana.... cut it up & freeze it. Then once frozen put it in a food processor...... 90 cals of yummy ice-cream.

No. That's just a frozen banana not ice cream.

It baffles me that people think 'No Sugar Added" means it's better for you. Only reason to waste your time cutting sugar is if you have a medical reason to do so.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just eat the good stuff in small amounts.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    edit: pic isn't working :(

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3usn1d/
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Banana.... cut it up & freeze it. Then once frozen put it in a food processor...... 90 cals of yummy ice-cream.

No. That's just a frozen banana not ice cream.

It baffles me that people think 'No Sugar Added" means it's better for you. Only reason to waste your time cutting sugar is if you have a medical reason to do so.

Agree x2! People also mention solutions on here that are filled with chemicals, thickeners, and fake sugars. Many of the ingredients in ice cream (factory made) are actually banned in other countries (thickeners, various sweeteners) because they are considered not to be safe. Ice cream should have 5 ingredients or less and not have anything artificial. You can add something like real maple syrup if you want something natural and sweet. Skinny Cow is one example of chemical stew and it causes digestive issues (warnings on many of their products).
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I really like Yoplait's Honey Caramel frozen greek yogurt. Nom nom nom.

I agree absolutely fantastic!

Their yogurt is not really Greek yogurt. It's Greek style yogurt. Many flavors of Yoplait have more sugar than Lucky Charms or a Hershey Bar.
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Yep. In moderation.
  • dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132
    Options
    Sounds super processed. :huh:

The list of ingredients are pretty straight forward and look okay. But... it probably is.
  • stephgella
    stephgella Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A mini milk ice lolly is 30 calories!
  • Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    we live right down the road from an ice cream shoppe. i usually get either dole whip or yo cream (frozen yogurt) in a waffle cone.
  • elizabethmchenry9
    elizabethmchenry9 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love ice cream- but now I am getting onto the frozen greek yogurts :-)
  • cjenkins91
    cjenkins91 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    all kinds! in moderation of course :)
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Edy's slow churned no sugar added has DELICIOUS flavors! 100-120 calories per 1/2 cup. Yummm.

THIS!!!!
    So now you can go out and Buy ALL THE ICE CREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tongue: