is there any ice cream that is ok to eat?

Options

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I love icecream and its hard to let it go, so is there any brand or any way to make homemade icecream that is healthier?

Natural ice cream without hardly any chemicals added. Anything that says low fat, skinny cow, WW leave in the store. Eat in moderation and enjoy.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Banana nice cream
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    All ice cream is okay, if you fit it in your calories/macros

but if you're looking for something that is easier to fit in your macros and will give you a decent amount of protein in the process, here's a recipe:

- 1 scoop vanilla flavour whey isolate powder (or another vanilla flavour protein isolate, doesn't have to be whey)

- 150g frozen fruit... berries, mango, guava and other fairly sweet fruit works well

- 100g laban (Arabic dairy product) or plain yoghurt

Whizz it in a blender, serve in a bowl, eat with a spoon.

^^^ That sounds Yummmmmmmy!!! :D Gonna try it!

Can I change frozen fruit with fresh fruits?

you can but it will be more like smoothie and less like ice cream. You could always stick the fresh fruit in the freezer for a couple of hours before making it.
  • jreckart2003
    Options
    Ice cream is my weakness and I know that I cannot deny myself my favorite food or I will fail! I just make sure to log it into my calorie count for the day. My husband son and I made a stop at McD's the other night for a vanilla cone - 170 calories. It hit the spot and I don't have it at home to tempt me :)
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    So according to the report posted Arctic Zero has from 46 to 68 percent more calories than what they claim in their label , that's mess up.

As a response to that issue, Arctic Zero had their products independently lab tested; it's only fair to check out their side of the story and what was found:

https://www.facebook.com/arcticzero/posts/10151137628042847

http://www.arcticzero.com/documents/EMSL_Results.pdf

Note that I don't work for them or anything; when I learned of the original article, I was concerned about how far off the calories might be and wanted to get to the bottom of it.
  • TLow97
    TLow97 Posts: 55
    Options
    If ice cream says "no sugar", "low-fat", "low-sugar", "no-fat", etc, I DON'T WANT IT.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    The only ice cream that isn't ok to eat....is a flavor you don't like. I don't care for Basking Robbins licorice flavor....so that is not ok on my eating plan.
  • tphil58
    tphil58 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I like the Nestle's drumstick with chocolate ice cream. I just eat it, log it and move on. As long as it is within my calorie limits I don't worry about it. Hope you find what works for you. I have come to accept that any food you like is not "bad" in moderation. My problem in the past had always been the "in moderation" part. Now that I log everything that goes in my body "in moderation" is much easier. I just needed the accountability of mfp and my friends here!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    DSC03977.jpg

Looks okay to me. :bigsmile:
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I eat the no sugar added ice creams, and skinny cow ice creams on a regular basis. They are super yummy! I personally feel that you can eat whatever ice cream you want as long as it is moderation and the numbers fit into your day.
  • lroxey
    lroxey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ALL ice cream is okay to eat! Just log it in and have it fit your daily calorie allowance. Obviously you can't eat a whole carton--who would want to?--but a bowl of any good ice cream can be worked in. Get the good stuff, don't waste the calories on "ice milk". You can buy an ice cream maker and make your own with fresh fruit, ginger, flavors you can't buy. I can't wait until the Jewel strawberries and wild blackberries are ripe!

this! there are plenty of people on this site who have lost weight and significantly decreased bodyfat (sarauk2sf comes to mind) who regularly eat real ice cream. in fact i just ate ice cream everyday this week and still lost 3 pounds. just work it into your calories and your macros.

i love the idea of making your own too. i recently had some lavendar flavored ice cream that was so good i would love to make some of that on my own. in the meantime i stick with haagen dasz or talenti brand

Where did you find it at I would love to learn how to make that!!! I grow lavender and I had heard of lavender cookies before but not ice cream.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Throw two frozen bananas in the food processor with cocoa. Yum! There's something called arctic zero, that's not really ice cream, but it's super low cal. Another fav: frozen pudding snacks.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    it tasted like friggin kisses from God but yesterday I tried frozen greek yogurt pineapple flavor and it was so yummy! Tasted like pineapple cheesecake. It's not necessarily "healthier" it just tasted good.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Healthy two ingredient ice cream that you can make at home:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbZRE6YiX68

Alternatively, you could switch to fruit sorbet. Not as creamy but just as nice!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    arctic zero - 150 calories in ONE pint
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    My friend has a banana ice cream maker and it actually makes a yummy, creamy replacement: http://www.yonanas.com/

I'm thinking of making the investment now that the summer's here, and they have TONS of flavour combos on their site, too. :)
  • JENNTF
    JENNTF Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love Kroger brand Chocolate or Vanilla frozen Yogurt. I think it is 1/2 cup for 100 calories. If I have the calories I will add in some mini M&M or peanut butter cups so it tastes like a blizzard from DQ.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I really like the weight watchers popsicles and the Fruittare fruit bars (just started with those) only about 120/cals each so you can indulge without feeling guilty. DON'T torture yourself and make yourself "give up" everything you love. Otherwise, you will gain it all back when you get tired of sacrificing!
  • TarHeelChick64
    TarHeelChick64 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Clemmy's ice cream is very delicious. it is lactose free, gluten free, and sugar free. A one-pint size costs around $4.00.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    If you eat the ice cream that you like, and be sure that you measure one serving, which is usually 1/2 cup, and account for the calories, there shouldn't be a problem.