is there any ice cream that is ok to eat?

Options

Replies

• yashualie
    yashualie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out this link:

http://blog.recipeforfitness.com/2011/07/protein-powder-ice-cream-recipes.html

or Google "zip lock ice cream" - the possibilities are endless and portion control is built in!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Edy's slow churned no sugar added has DELICIOUS flavors! 100-120 calories per 1/2 cup. Yummm.

THIS!!!!
    So now you can go out and Buy ALL THE ICE CREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tongue:

There's additives in there. Thickeners and things like that that are illegal outside of the US. So we eat them and go oh my goodness nomnomnom when in fact it's not considered safe.

Just have regular ice cream for goodness' sake and measure out your serving. People also find it helpful to freeze individual portions in ziplock bags or glass storage containers. :)

Can you please list some of the evidence supporting that these ingredients are not safe, also what dosages were these compounds found not to be safe for human consumption?

I don't have to list evidence. In Edy's Slow Churned (see below) comes with a poo waring and contains carrageenan. This is a thickener that is illegal in many countries.

Product Ingredients
    Skim milk, cream, chocolaty chips, maltitol syrup, maltodextrin, polydextrose, glycerin, milk minerals concentrate, cellulose gum, natural flavor, mono and glycerides, salt, Yellow 5, Sorbitol, guar gum, Splenda Brand Sucralose, Blue 1, carrageenan, citric acid, vitamin A, palmitate, and acesulfame potassium.

Caution: Eating too much Lactitol or Sorbitol could cause a laxative effect in some people.

Burden of proof is on the claim maker

Here you go, Chicago Tribune: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-03-18/health/ct-met-carrageenan-0318-20130318_1_doubts-surface-fda-scientists-u-s-food

There's also artificial sweeteners that are illegal in other countries. This thickener is illegal in other countries, so it is just one example.

Just eat real ice cream and ice cream made with local ingredients and not in a factory if you're looking for something super tasty.

Or eat the Edy's Slow churned and risk having a poop accident. There's a poop warning with Edy's Slow Churned in particular (Skinny Cow has the same warning). Just eat real food.

Did you even read the article you posted? So we're still at baseless claims with nothing to support them

It's outlawed in other countries. That was enough information for me. I don't run screaming from a lot of things but I don't see poo warnings on my bowl of salad (you used the fiber example).

That is certainly strong logic, chewing gum sales are outlawed in Singapore therefore it must be bad. Non conservative clothing and PDA is outlawed in Dubai, therefore those things must be bad.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You guys are having an argument about ice cream.

Think about that :laugh:

I'm happy to argue with anyone that thinks it is a good idea to put foods in their bodies that come with warnings about digestive issues. My purchases at the farmer's market last week did not come with warnings like that. All I heard was: "hey, this chicken was slaughtered on Monday and this fish was swimming in the ocean this morning." Not: "yeah, so this thickener here is outlawed in every country in the world except the US of A and also this ice cream comes with a warning about digestive issues--eat up!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

That is certainly strong logic, chewing gum sales are outlawed in Singapore therefore it must be bad. Non conservative clothing and PDA is outlawed in Dubai, therefore those things must be bad.

You decide what sort of chemicals and additives to put in your body and I will do the same. Both Skinny Cow and Edy's Slow Churned sugar free come with warnings on the products. I don't want to chance it. I'm often on the road for work and we're away from home 2 weekends per month (lots of miles on highways, time on planes etc.) I don't eat something that could possibly cause me to have digestive issues. I also find (because I have tried it) that Skinny Cow tastes like chemicals (you should see the mile long ingredient list). So again, you can go ahead and enjoy your fake ice cream.

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my hand made ice cream this summer (in Maine) that is made by this really nice couple that also makes their own maple syrup. You know, from a tree.

Believe what you want and eat what you want but I go for this tasty ice cream over a chemical stew over any day of the week! (did I mention it's made with love and the other examples are made in a factory?)
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I have recently switched from regular ice cream to yogurt ice cream. Tastes almost the same, fewer calories, and is a little bit healthier. I love ice cream and would never give it up...and this way, I can eat twice as much for the same amount as calories...YUM!
  • oliviacheyenne
    Options
    I like Magnum mini's
  • Butterfly_emerging
    Options
    Hey have you tried the new frozen GREEK yogurt?? It has the creaminess of ice cream but still relatively low in cals and fat and plus it's got a lot more protein. :) My new fave is Black Cherry! I'm an ice cream gal too but I'm so converted now! I used to find normal frozen yogurt had a funny taste but this stuff doesn't seem to at all. Oh and you can get the all natural versions at the natural food markets so no nasty chemicals either! Good luck! :)
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Ice Cream is Ok! Moderation is the key. Is there really an 8 page thread of ice cream arguments here? Hello its ice cream, it only makes you fat if you eat copious amounts of it, so don't eat a lot and enjoy!
    A world without Chunky Monkey would be a sad world! Just Sayin.
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I really like Yoplait's Honey Caramel frozen greek yogurt. Nom nom nom.

ooooh that sounds yummy :love:
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I like Magnum mini's

Magnum's are my absolute favorite bars.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Lots of good homemade recipes for ice cream that are fresh and healthy too! Enjoy and don't let ice cream haters rain on your ice cream parade!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

You decide what sort of chemicals and additives to put in your body and I will do the same. Both Skinny Cow and Edy's Slow Churned sugar free come with warnings on the products. I don't want to chance it. I'm often on the road for work and we're away from home 2 weekends per month (lots of miles on highways, time on planes etc.) I don't eat something that could possibly cause me to have digestive issues. I also find (because I have tried it) that Skinny Cow tastes like chemicals (you should see the mile long ingredient list). So again, you can go ahead and enjoy your fake ice cream.

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my hand made ice cream this summer (in Maine) that is made by this really nice couple that also makes their own maple syrup. You know, from a tree.

Believe what you want and eat what you want but I go for this tasty ice cream over a chemical stew over any day of the week! (did I mention it's made with love and the other examples are made in a factory?)

Way to actually substantiate your claims

And good thing maple syrup and homemade ice cream are not chemical stews, oh wait they are...
  • meadowsmummy
    meadowsmummy Posts: 108
    Options
    Take the skin off 4 bananas and freeze them for about 2 hours - blend-add 2 tbsp of peanut butter-blend - freeze for 2 hours - so good!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I looked up carageenan and found out it's the same thing as irish moss - i used to love the irish moss drink at the jamaican restaurants - can't remember if it messed up my belly. there was a soy drink i used to get at a vietnamese joint that i loved, but that always made me sick. i wonder what was in that?
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    http://www.sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/coconut-milk-frozen-desserts

So delicious is amazing and made from coconut milk, almond or soy :) These are yummy and quite a bit healthier than dairy but still a naughty treat ;)
    They have small bars, sadwich bars and fudge bars at about 100 to 150 cals.
    At least you are eating something without fake sweeteners
    I am vegan for a number of reasons both for health and I am an animal lover but even friends who eat dairy love this product.
  • Tanana66
    Tanana66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    We have ice cream almost every day. I make my own in a blender with low fat creme fraiche and frozen berries, cherries, mango, peaches, baked plums, PB, bananas, chocolate, coconut, vanilla, pear.....

For people in UK - Sainsbury's be good to yourself creme fraiche has only 80cal per 100g.
    You get HUGE portions of creamy frozen deliciousness for 150-200 calories ready in 2 min and no chemicals.
    (but that is optional, if you really like chemicals you could add them, it's your choice :laugh: )
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have not read all 8 pages of this but I love ice cream. I eat it probably one or twice a week and I fit it into my macros. Sometimes when I don't have ice cream I take a frozen banana and put it in the blender with a bit of milk and peanut butter and it's like ice cream, but I prefer the real stuff.
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I eat weight watchers, and skinny cow, but you can have any ice cream as long as you allow for it in your cals for the day...
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    when i want ice cream, i eat:

Haagen Dazs
    Breyer's
    Blue Bell

there is nothing wrong with eating REAL ice cream. just don't eat too much in one sitting and make sure you are eating a balanced diet of other foods.

ETA: frozen mashed bananas cannot be called ice cream any more than ground soy beans can be called filet mignon.
  • yacapraro5
    yacapraro5 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather have a bit smaller amount of something I REALLY love vs a bunch of something mediocre. I'd rather have my 1 serving of Graeters black raspberry chip after a really great workout and not feel deprived or guilty. Its not about cutting out all ice cream, nor is it about having to settle for something as a substitute. Everyone has different things they would like to keep within their diet. Its a lifestyle. You have to make it work for you. You don't have to be deprived of anything.