is there any ice cream that is ok to eat?

Options

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Edy's slow churned no sugar added has DELICIOUS flavors! 100-120 calories per 1/2 cup. Yummm.

THIS!!!!
    So now you can go out and Buy ALL THE ICE CREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tongue:

There's additives in there. Thickeners and things like that that are illegal outside of the US. So we eat them and go oh my goodness nomnomnom when in fact it's not considered safe.

Just have regular ice cream for goodness' sake and measure out your serving. People also find it helpful to freeze individual portions in ziplock bags or glass storage containers. :)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    So if you eat Edy's Slow Curned no sugar here's what to expect. Make sure you are near to a bathroom!

What is a "choclaty chip"???????????

Product Ingredients
    Skim milk, cream, chocolaty chips, maltitol syrup, maltodextrin, polydextrose, glycerin, milk minerals concentrate, cellulose gum, natural flavor, mono and glycerides, salt, Yellow 5, Sorbitol, guar gum, Splenda Brand Sucralose, Blue 1, carrageenan, citric acid, vitamin A, palmitate, and acesulfame potassium.

Caution: Eating too much Lactitol or Sorbitol could cause a laxative effect in some people.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Edy's slow churned no sugar added has DELICIOUS flavors! 100-120 calories per 1/2 cup. Yummm.

THIS!!!!

There's additives in there. Thickeners and things like that that are illegal outside of the US. So we eat them and go oh my goodness nomnomnom when in fact it's not considered safe.

Just have regular ice cream for goodness' sake and measure out your serving. People also find it helpful to freeze individual portions in ziplock bags or glass storage containers. :)

Can you please list some of the evidence supporting that these ingredients are not safe, also what dosages were these compounds found not to be safe for human consumption?
  • Onesnap
    Options

THIS!!!!

Can you please list some of the evidence supporting that these ingredients are not safe, also what dosages were these compounds found not to be safe for human consumption?

I don't have to list evidence. In Edy's Slow Churned (see below) comes with a poo waring and contains carrageenan. This is a thickener that is illegal in many countries.

Product Ingredients
    Skim milk, cream, chocolaty chips, maltitol syrup, maltodextrin, polydextrose, glycerin, milk minerals concentrate, cellulose gum, natural flavor, mono and glycerides, salt, Yellow 5, Sorbitol, guar gum, Splenda Brand Sucralose, Blue 1, carrageenan, citric acid, vitamin A, palmitate, and acesulfame potassium.

Caution: Eating too much Lactitol or Sorbitol could cause a laxative effect in some people.
  • Acg67
    Options

THIS!!!!

I don't have to list evidence. In Edy's Slow Churned (see below) comes with a poo waring and contains carrageenan. This is a thickener that is illegal in many countries.

Product Ingredients

Burden of proof is on the claim maker
  • Onesnap
    Options
    but since you asked, here's one article in the Chicago Tribune.

Many of our artificial sweeteners are also illegal in other countries.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-03-18/health/ct-met-carrageenan-0318-20130318_1_doubts-surface-fda-scientists-u-s-food
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Portion control and moderation should be applied here- Don't cut something out that you love!

When I was preggers, I was eating cookies and/or ice cream every night- that was my craving! Now that I am trying to get back to a "hot" mama body, I know I can't eat like that. I do eat ice cream and cookies, but not every night. And I use one of my kid's cereal bowls......much smaller so I automatically am putting in a smaller portion. If I feel I overdid it, I just do some jumping jacks while watching TV, lol!

Now I just need to get my hubby to stop eating it out of the carton!
  • Onesnap
    Options

THIS!!!!

Product Ingredients

Here you go, Chicago Tribune: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-03-18/health/ct-met-carrageenan-0318-20130318_1_doubts-surface-fda-scientists-u-s-food

There's also artificial sweeteners that are illegal in other countries. This thickener is illegal in other countries, so it is just one example.

Just eat real ice cream and ice cream made with local ingredients and not in a factory if you're looking for something super tasty.

Or eat the Edy's Slow churned and risk having a poop accident. There's a poop warning with Edy's Slow Churned in particular (Skinny Cow has the same warning). Just eat real food.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

THIS!!!!

Product Ingredients

Eating too much fiber could cause a laxative effect in some people, too. Eating peanuts is potentially deadly for some people.

Do you think those are unfit for human consumption?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    None...ice cream is the devil!!!!

3341572173_fd7293cb99.jpg

Seriously though...just get your nutrition on and your fitness on and enjoy some ice cream.
  • mosy04
    mosy04 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    muller light yog frozen . defrost for 30 sec better than ice cream and low fat enjoy :drinker: :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    ALL ICE CREAM IS GOOD!!!! I even have a slice of bacon with mine every once in awhile!

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
  • Acg67
    Options

THIS!!!!

Product Ingredients

Here you go, Chicago Tribune: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-03-18/health/ct-met-carrageenan-0318-20130318_1_doubts-surface-fda-scientists-u-s-food

There's also artificial sweeteners that are illegal in other countries. This thickener is illegal in other countries, so it is just one example.

Just eat real ice cream and ice cream made with local ingredients and not in a factory if you're looking for something super tasty.

Or eat the Edy's Slow churned and risk having a poop accident. There's a poop warning with Edy's Slow Churned in particular (Skinny Cow has the same warning). Just eat real food.

Did you even read the article you posted? So we're still at baseless claims with nothing to support them
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    You guys are having an argument about ice cream.

Think about that :laugh:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    All ice cream is evil and if you ever eat another scoop of it you will gain 10 pounds and never lose any weight ever again...

Just kidding of course. As most have mentioned, as long as it is within your calorie goal AND you are getting the nutrition you need, go for it... A scoop or two of ice cream won't hurt you. Personally, I like frozen yogurts BUT it is just a preference.. not that it is really any healthier than the rest. Sometimes, I eat regular ice cream... good stuff.
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want if it works into your calorie plan. Here's my favorite, though:
    Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom Fat Free No Sugar Added Fudge Bars 35 calories per bar and they taste just like a regular Fudgsicle.

It's easier to work in something that's delicious and lo-cal vs something delicious and hi-cal (and hi-fat, lo-nutrition, etc)

All the discussion about real ice cream vs "chemicals" etc. misses the point that real ice cream contains lots of stuff that isn't good for you either. High butterfat? High sugar? Pretty much poison but OK, once in a while. But I'd rather have 300 calories of good nutrition than 300 calories of achingly delicious fat and calories, especially if there is a lower-cal option that is also achingly delicious!
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am having success with regular consumption of blue bunny sweet freedom ice cream (1/2 - 1 cup per episode). They have vanilla, chocolate, mint chocolate chip, cherry vanilla, bunny tracks, pralines and cream, rocky road, strawberry, and banana split. Though some of the more exotic flavors are hard to find.
  • Onesnap
    Options

THIS!!!!

Product Ingredients

Did you even read the article you posted? So we're still at baseless claims with nothing to support them

It's outlawed in other countries. That was enough information for me. I don't run screaming from a lot of things but I don't see poo warnings on my bowl of salad (you used the fiber example).
  • Onesnap
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want if it works into your calorie plan. Here's my favorite, though:
    Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom Fat Free No Sugar Added Fudge Bars 35 calories per bar and they taste just like a regular Fudgsicle.

It's easier to work in something that's delicious and lo-cal vs something delicious and hi-cal (and hi-fat, lo-nutrition, etc)

All the discussion about real ice cream vs "chemicals" etc. misses the point that real ice cream contains lots of stuff that isn't good for you either. High butterfat? High sugar? Pretty much poison but OK, once in a while. But I'd rather have 300 calories of good nutrition than 300 calories of achingly delicious fat and calories, especially if there is a lower-cal option that is also achingly delicious!

Well I've always been a healthy weight and I don't eat fake ice cream (nor does my husband, and he's also a healthy weight). Just read the labels and figure out what you want to feed your body with. We prefer regular ice cream. Locally made and natural if possible. If not, the closest thing to that. We have found over the years that the stuff made with love and by hand has a superior flavor. Decide for yourself what you want to do but the full fat regular ice cream has not led us down a bad path as of yet.