The most important meal of the day?

Options

Replies

• CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    No breakfast IS the most important meal of the day. Without it your metabolism wont burn even half as much. Ask your doctor about stuff like skipping breakfast.

no.
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the entertainment folks!

The most important meal of my day is supper, but more because of the company than the food :smile:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    lets say you didn't, then you're a little safer than if you would have skipped breakfast, been hungrier at lunch time and ate too much to want to eat dinner 4 hours before bed...eat dinner and go to bed an hour later and allllll that food is sitting in your tummy, settling..melting into starch and sugar that your body cant burn because you're sleeping.

What if all I eat is meat? How does my 9:30 pm protein and fat meal of steak and eggs melt into starch and sugar if I go to bed at 10? Your metabolism doesn't stop or slow down at a specific time. Your body has to keep burning calories to keep your blood pumping, brain functioning and even keep you breathing. Metabolism is defined as the set of life-sustaining chemical transformations within the cells of living organisms.

I have followed a variety of eating patterns and lost weight even if I ate all my calories within an hour before going to bed.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    No breakfast IS the most important meal of the day. Without it your metabolism wont burn even half as much. Ask your doctor about stuff like skipping breakfast.

Not true. In fact, your body starts burning more calories once you pass 12 hours of not eating. It doesn't slow down until 72 hours after your last meal. FACT!

Dunn Clinical Nutrition Centre, U.K.
    uid07e1h.gif
    Science yo.
  • learninmama
    learninmama Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has their own things that work.

I personally eat breakfast because I know it will be at least 8 hours before I get another meal on days I work...I made the mistake of not eating breakfast one day & felt like total crap once I finally got to eat.

Is breakfast for everyone? Nope.. again do what works for you.

My favorite meal for me personally is dinner as it's usually the meal I have the most time to prepare or that hubby prepares for us & it's spent with my family.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Breakfast also makes me feel sick. I have no need to FORCE my self to feel like crap just to get a meal in that I'm not even hungry for. I normally just have coffee. Once in a great blue moon I'll have a banana with my coffee... but other wise I normally break my fast around 11am with some veggies. I have an office job that I do at home - so I don't need breakfast to deal with activicity since I'm sitting for most my morning. And I'm lucky enough to not have to wait for a certain time due to work to eat. I hope you figure out what works best for you!

Also - if you ever find you are feeling a bit peckish because you didn't eat breakfast start carrying around a little bag of dates as a snack. They give you energy!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It is very important to eat multiple times a day. For metabolism efficiency you should try to eat 5 small meals a day. or 5 tiems a day snacks and meals. If you are looking for a smoothie type breakfast I recommend getting some information about Shakeology. It is actually the "healthiest meal of the day" Ive been drinking it now for over 2 months and have really seen some great improvements in not only weight loss, but health in general.

That is false. Your metabolism isn't any faster if you eat 6 meals than if you were to eat two. Stop promoting a myth and stop trying to sell your horrible shake.

Because it affects you how if she does?

Because propagating a myth decreases the collective knowledge of MFP which leads the malinformed to make bad decisions.

Well, that and Shakeology is the debil.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Wow...that say you learn something new everyday...did I ever...:)

Oh...and whoever was mentioning the maple ice cream on bacon waffle is evilllll...*drool*
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    This HAD to be on myth busters!!! :laugh:
  • usmcmp
    Options
    It is very important to eat multiple times a day. For metabolism efficiency you should try to eat 5 small meals a day. or 5 tiems a day snacks and meals. If you are looking for a smoothie type breakfast I recommend getting some information about Shakeology. It is actually the "healthiest meal of the day" Ive been drinking it now for over 2 months and have really seen some great improvements in not only weight loss, but health in general.

That is false. Your metabolism isn't any faster if you eat 6 meals than if you were to eat two. Stop promoting a myth and stop trying to sell your horrible shake.

The 6 meal thing is a myth as stated by the second person. They're attempting to use the thermic effect of food to say that eating boosts your metabolism. The truth is that your metabolism increases in direct proportion to the amount and type of food you eat (carbs, protein, fat). So, your metabolism gets 6 small boosts eating 6 small meals and 3 large boosts eating 3 large meals. It's a wash and meal timing is largely irrelevant.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Not trying to sell anything. Just mentioning a product that has helped me. If you will notice I just simply mentioned get more information. Gorging a 2000 calorie meal to meat your intake requirements isnt going to help anyone. For the sake of energy, which that is the only reason to consume food to energize your body it is best to eat consistently throughout the day. I am not a doctor or saying that you HAVE to eat so many times a day. Consistency is key if you wake at 11 try to eat as soon as your body can tolerate it. Bc if you have a decent sleep/eating schedule you probably havent eating in 8-12 hours. Your body needs the energy. Eating one big meal a day can result in fluctuating blood sugar levels, which in turn can result in loss of lean body mass. Do you want to lose muscle or fat? Eating when you have low blood sugar causes you to release more insulin which results in more fat being produced. Loss of lean muscle mass, production of fat. Ill stick with eating throughout the day. Waiting for all you vultures to jump on this one!! Cant wait for the replies I get!!

this is just dead wrong ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    what is up with the breakfasts threads today....if you want to eat it, eat it...but all this "most important meal of the day" or "kick start metabolism" stuff is garbage...

I skipped breakfast for about eight months and did IF/lean gains and dropped about 1% body fat and had strength gains...I actually enjoyed training fasted...I still save my largest meal for post workout...

Meal frequency has nothing to do with metabolism..so eat 24 times a day or one times a day no difference...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Someone will soon jump in and tell you that you should eat breakfast since it starts your metabolism .. which is a total myth.

And then.....
    Breakfast IS the most important meal of the day....b/c it jump-starts your metabolism. I used to get sick from eating breakfast, but I quit my belly-aching and just did it. I eat breakfast faithfully and it's been a year since I started doing so...I just eat something small: granola bar, dry cereal, fruit, etc. Anything is better than nothing. Your body will get used to your routine.

(No pun intended...that's just how I referred to myself. lol)

a prophet in our midsts!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Have you ever heard anyone say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day? Well, if you have, know that they were right! Breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day. Here are five reasons why you should join the millions of people who eat breakfast each and every morning!

Reason Number One...
    There is a brand new day ahead of you each morning. Eating breakfast can help you to have a great day. Our bodies cannot run on empty until lunch time. How many people eat a really healthy lunch? When our bodies do not have proper nutrition they do not function to their fullest. We will not feel good if we do not eat breakfast. Noone wants to not feel good half the day. We are not as productive when we don't feel well.

Reason Number Two...
    Our energy level. Breakfast gives our bodies nutrition and substance. This is where our energy comes from. People who do not eat breakfast have considerably less energy than people who do. Think about it. Breakfast is the meal after dinner. We eat dinner then sleep through the night. That's eight or more hours with out eating. Our bodies need to be nourished in the morning. They've gone without for hours. If we do not eat in the morning our bodies will not be able to produce the energy we need for the day.

Reason Number Three...
    Concentration. People who do not eat breakfast often have a hard time concentrating. They also have difficulty learning because they are scatterbrained. People who do eat breakfast tend to be much more focused on the task at hand. They do not have trouble concentrating nearly as much as those who do not eat breakfast. We think a lot each day. This is really something to think about!

Reason Number Four...
    Your mood. Did you know that hunger can cause mood swings and irritability. So can running on empty. Your body is lacking something. This affects your whole system. People who do eat breakfast tend to be much less irritable than those who do not. They tend to be in a better mood. Noone around you wants you to be irritable. Noone likes it when people mood swing. DO yourself and those around you a favor each day, eat breakfast :)

Reason Number Five...
    Breakfast is at the very beginning of the day. Families can sit down and enjoy this meal together, grasping a little bit of quality time each morning. See, breakfast can help you to have a great day in more ways than one! What better way to start your day :)

Breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day. There are many more reasons why. Start your day off right, as a family. It is especially important for kids to eat breakfast. What better way to set a great example than you eating breakfast with them?

Actually, these are five reasons that you are dead wrong...

I skipped breakfast for months and had no issues with concentration, energy levels (trained fasted), mood, or any of the other myths contained in your original quote...
  • Katieweso
    Katieweso Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is only the most important meal of the day for people who need to eat it for medical or for personal preference/energy reasons.

If you are not hungry and it does not impact your energy levels, don't eat it and save your calories for when you are hungry.

Meal frequency only really matters if it impacts adherence and energy levels.

Completely agree.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    The most important meal of the day, servin' it up Garry's way!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Every meal is important! don't skip meals, it only backfires in your face (or butt or stomach or thighs) the next day, when it's most unhealthy to eat..right before bed aka midnight snacking.
    I'm the same way when it comes to not being very hungry in the morning. But think about it, you're cutting calories. My calorie goal is right at 1600, because I'm a breastfeeding mama. I stay pretty active all day...where do I get my energy? Breakfast, when do I burn it off? I have aaaalll day to do it! Figure 1600 calorie limit. A hard boiled egg and a greek yogurt...little over 300 calories. Not counting your cup of coffee (not starbucks, homemade) so theres already down to say 1100 left to consume. Don't get a chance to excercise yet...so the calories sit. You have lunch. Even a simple salad with lite dressing and limited garnishments can put you around 3/400 calories. plus some water (calorie free, drink lots!!) and maybe some lowfat baked crackers/chips..you're around 500 calories, so you have 700 calories left to consume for the day before you go over your limit! Let's say the day gets busy and you don't get a chance to work out after lunch or before dinner...what are you going to make thats healthy, filling, quick and easy that's under 700 calories??!?!?! trust me, not much. Chicken, lean steaks, fish, pork, any of it will just about set you over your limit with your salad and veggies and fruit (gotta have fruit!) and a glass of skim or 1% milk. BAM! you're cut off...That's how easy it is to reach your limit! And did you get a chance to excercise? lets say you didn't, then you're a little safer than if you would have skipped breakfast, been hungrier at lunch time and ate too much to want to eat dinner 4 hours before bed...eat dinner and go to bed an hour later and allllll that food is sitting in your tummy, settling..melting into starch and sugar that your body cant burn because you're sleeping. This is what I think of every day. Part of dieting is timing too :)

can we get some paragraph separation here????

And anyone care to translate...I am seeing a lot greek yogurt, fruit, exercise, a bam mixed in with skim milk, and a bunch of other crap that is giving me a headache...
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    The most important meal of the day, servin' it up Garry's way!

Yeah!! I eat breakfast sometimes. Sometimes I don't. I think the most important meal is the one you eat.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Thinking back now I started eating Breakfast in my mid 20's then noticed the weight moving upwards for the first time in my lifetime that is also when my struggle with weight begun. Only now im starting to retrain the brain to eat when Im hungry not what the general consenus seems to be breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    What is most important is that you consume bacon and avocado, diced and fried up together, at least once per week. Ever since I read this advice from another MFP poster I believe I have found my miracle diet or possibly religion. I'm thinking of becoming a bacon and avocado consultant.

:)

Seriously though if you need something quick and small hard boiling a bunch of eggs on the weekend and grabbing one out of the fridge for breakfast on weekdays works for me.