The joys of office broscience - misguided food/nutrition advice

Options

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    amygatl wrote: »

gothchiq wrote: »
    There is now a ketchup with sriracha in it. I like the balsamic vinegar ketchup the best, but hubby loves the sriracha one!

I'll just leave this here...

ji7juk0hykrt.jpg

I'll see your mustard and raise you a beer.

rerwerr4534534.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
  • yogi323
    yogi323 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Oh! Oh! I have stories for you!

Firstly, a really good friend of mine has subscribed to the primal diet. Fine, whatever works for you, right? But, he tries to tell me that grains will slowly kill me, sugar is toxic and is automatically turned to fat because your body can't put out enough insulin, quotes marksdailyapple at me all the time, and has argued that a calorie isn't a calorie, and that sugar from fruit and sugar from table sugar is different. Quiet the fun head ache with him.

I have a second coworker who just joined the gym and told me she wants to "tone up". I asked her to clarify and she said tighten skin and "tone" everything, and that she wanted to spot reduce fat. I told her she wanted to build muscle to achieve a toned look, and she told me that she didn't want muscle, but to tone, and that lifting would make her look like a dude.

A third story for y'all isn't exactly nutrition, but it does have to do with food. I used to have a coworker who, bless her heart, probably could NOT have been any more stupid. I brought a home made chocolate cupcake into work to give to my manager because it was her birthday. The home made cupcake was in a SALSA jar, and this girl looks at me and asked if it was home made, and I told her yes. She asked me how did I make it, which, at the time, I thought she meant "How did you make it vegan?" Which was a valid question. I listed some items, sugar, soy milk, flour, coco powder, ect. And this girl looked at me and asked how did I make it chocolate. I repeated coco powder.

She actually looked at me and asked me how that made it chocolate. I explained coco powder was chocolate, and she blinked confused, and repeated AGAIN, "Well, yeah, but how does that make it chocolate?" My friend who subscribes to the primal diet looked everything up and explained, specifically, how one gets coco powder.

Just so no one worries, this girl did make it to the eleventh grade, was 18 at the time, and had a job. Oh, but she had no clue that World War 2 happened. Or world war one, for that matter. Or the Holocaust. Never heard of Hitler.

She was a hoot.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,553 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Lots of people eliminate carbs; that doesn't qualify as "broscience".

As my mother would say, "If your friends jumped off the High Level bridge, would you do it too?" Just because it's popular right now does not mean it's good science. Or even good. We have three macro-nutrients and many, many micro-nutrients. I won't find many people who would argue over the necessity of a micro-nutrient, say, Vitamin D. So why do people think that the answer to their diet woes is to eliminate an entire macro-nutrient?

Besides, chances are they'll get it wrong. They'll cut breads and pastas but keep eating yams and fruit. And wonder why their carb numbers are still so high.

When I was diabetic, a well-meaning bunkmate at a women's retreat brought me a big bag of "sugar free" candies. I took one look at the nutrition label and rejected them. First ingredient? Glucose. Her nose was seriously out of joint. Oh well. I wasn't going to flake out on a sugar high just so she wouldn't be offended in her ignorance.

Edmonton Proud!!! Well, Leduc proud, but close enough right?

Fort Saskatchewan, baby!
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    yogi323 wrote: »

Oh, but she had no clue that World War 2 happened. Or world war one, for that matter. Or the Holocaust. Never heard of Hitler.

She was a hoot.

That hurts my soul.

(I love how southerners use "bless her heart" rather than a more ... direct term. Lol)
  • yogi323
    yogi323 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Oh, but she had no clue that World War 2 happened. Or world war one, for that matter. Or the Holocaust. Never heard of Hitler.

She was a hoot.

That hurts my soul.

(I love how southerners use "bless her heart" rather than a more ... direct term. Lol)

I'm from Alabama and now live in Florida (which is geographically more Southern but culturally not so) and was having a conversation with this lady from Georgia, and when referencing another person, I said "Bless that babies heart." And she simply nodded. We both knew what we meant, but this other guy, (Not Southern) chimed in, "I thought you hated her? Why are you blessing her?" And we both giggled. Bless her heart is almost NEVER a positive thing, and it's kind of awesome when you can say it, and others have no clue what you truly mean.

And yeah, she hurt my soul also. I work in the snack bar of a indoor amusement park, and our POS systems have labeled buttons you press for items (I.e. "Soda" "Pizza"), and it tells you the total. You then press the total they give you, and it tells you the change to give them. The same girl would manage to get to the part where it told you what the change should be, (An example of this happening is total was 2.15, girl was given a 5$, and change would have been 2.85$) and she would look at the bill, look at me, then throw the bill down and walk away, proclaiming that she couldn't do it. She would give people 8 dimes and a nickel, instead of 3 quarters and a dime, because she honestly didn't know how to count quarters. I could go on for DAYS about her silliness.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    A random stranger on a train once stopped me and told be that I wouldn't
    be so fat if I just ate more cucumber, because of the 'essential minerals'.
    Had a naked lady sit beside me and proceed to tell me that I wasn't really
    overweight, my body was just full of yeast and if I just cut out yeast and
    did some kind of cleanse I would be miraculously trim and fit!
    I've lost over 100 lbs. You can't walk across the parking lot.
    Tell me again what I should be eating.
    Completely aside from the lack of understanding of nutrition shown,
    I am more & more annoyed/upset/enraged (it's getting worse) at the practice of making comments
    & giving unsolicited advice to complete strangers about their bodies. (Usually women, though fat men
    are fair game too.)
    I think an appropriate response is something along the lines of, "I don't remember asking for your advice".
    (Unless it's a fairly elderly person; they're allowed to get away with pretty much anything.)

1 Calorie to heat 1 liter of water by 1 degree Celsius
    Almost... a kilocalorie (kcal) would heat 1 liter of water by 1 degree C.
    (And yes, some people use Calorie for kcal, but most people don't understand that.)
    A calorie (cal) would heat 1 milliliter the same amount.

RAinWA wrote:
    I have been banned from climbing on the counters after dislocating my
    shoulder falling off the counter. (In my defense, the cat had a hand paw in that.)
    FTFY. :wink:
    And I'm sorry, but I chuckled when I read this.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I sent this in a PM, but thought it could benefit others, so am including it here...

For the people looking for good brats (and yes, that means bratwurst),
    you definitely need to come to Wisconsin.
    Lots of Germans settled here, lots of good German food traditions remain.

Here are 2 commercial brat-makers which are local to Milwaukee:
    http://www.usinger.com/ They ship, and are in many stores, at least over here.
    http://www.klements.com/ Not sure if they ship, but they are in stores.
    (If they don't ship, and you're willing to cover the costs, I'd be willing to buy, pack, & ship them to you.)

And this is a small one-off place in a northern suburb of Milwaukee. They ship.
    Awesome delicious wonderful fresh yummy noms.
    And did I mention that they're really really _really_ good?
    http://www.houseofhomemadesausage.com/

You're welcome. :D
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    A random stranger on a train once stopped me and told be that I wouldn't
    be so fat if I just ate more cucumber, because of the 'essential minerals'.
    Had a naked lady sit beside me and proceed to tell me that I wasn't really
    overweight, my body was just full of yeast and if I just cut out yeast and
    did some kind of cleanse I would be miraculously trim and fit!
    I've lost over 100 lbs. You can't walk across the parking lot.
    Tell me again what I should be eating.
    Completely aside from the lack of understanding of nutrition shown,
    I am more & more annoyed/upset/enraged (it's getting worse) at the practice of making comments
    & giving unsolicited advice to complete strangers about their bodies.
    (Usually women, though fat men
    are fair game too.)
    I think an appropriate response is something along the lines of, "I don't remember asking for your advice".
    (Unless it's a fairly elderly person; they're allowed to get away with pretty much anything.)

(And yes, some people use Calorie for kcal, but most people don't understand that.)

RAinWA wrote:
    I have been banned from climbing on the counters after dislocating my
    shoulder falling off the counter. (In my defense, the cat had a hand paw in that.)
    FTFY. :wink:
    And I'm sorry, but I chuckled when I read this.

They're running out of smokers to advise, they had to move on to a bigger pond.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Here's a calc I just did the other day . . .

Yes, we all know that 1 calorie will heat 1 mL of water 1 degree C. But convert that to dietary terms, and it quite interesting that approximately:

1 kcal (or 1 Calorie, or 1 food Calorie) will heat 1 fluid ounce of water from 32F to 98F.

Therefore, you burn 1 Calorie for every fluid ounce of ice water you drink (because your body expends energy raising the temperature of that water). I'm not saying anybody's getting skinny by drinking 5 gallons of ice water instead of going for a run. But every bit counts, right?
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Yes, we all know that 1 calorie will heat 1 mL of water 1 degree C. But convert that to dietary terms, and it quite interesting that approximately:

1 kcal (or 1 Calorie, or 1 food Calorie) will heat 1 fluid ounce of water from 32F to 98F.

Therefore, you burn 1 Calorie for every fluid ounce of ice water you drink (because your body expends energy raising the temperature of that water). I'm not saying anybody's getting skinny by drinking 5 gallons of ice water instead of going for a run. But every bit counts, right?

So if I put ice in my wine it has less calories? Result!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I thought it's rather that your body transfers its own heat to the water because of heat transfer, and uses energy to get itself back to body temperature.
    Same thing in the end but your body isn't actively trying to heat up the water.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    A lady I know won't buy any more fresh farm eggs from us because most of them are double yolkers. Double yolkers are bad because they have double the cholesterol and so they are bad eggs. She had to throw away half of the eggs last time. Seriously....that's what she told me.

They're the best ones!

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

She was a hoot.

That hurts my soul.

I'm from Alabama and now live in Florida (which is geographically more Southern but culturally not so) and was having a conversation with this lady from Georgia, and when referencing another person, I said "Bless that babies heart." And she simply nodded. We both knew what we meant, but this other guy, (Not Southern) chimed in, "I thought you hated her? Why are you blessing her?" And we both giggled. Bless her heart is almost NEVER a positive thing, and it's kind of awesome when you can say it, and others have no clue what you truly mean.

And yeah, she hurt my soul also. I work in the snack bar of a indoor amusement park, and our POS systems have labeled buttons you press for items (I.e. "Soda" "Pizza"), and it tells you the total. You then press the total they give you, and it tells you the change to give them. The same girl would manage to get to the part where it told you what the change should be, (An example of this happening is total was 2.15, girl was given a 5$, and change would have been 2.85$) and she would look at the bill, look at me, then throw the bill down and walk away, proclaiming that she couldn't do it. She would give people 8 dimes and a nickel, instead of 3 quarters and a dime, because she honestly didn't know how to count quarters. I could go on for DAYS about her silliness.

It took me a few years of living in Alabama before I figured this one out. I'm a Yankee living in Dixie. :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    A lady I know won't buy any more fresh farm eggs from us because most of them are double yolkers. Double yolkers are bad because they have double the cholesterol and so they are bad eggs. She had to throw away half of the eggs last time. Seriously....that's what she told me.
    She should have sent them to my house. A hawk got my mom's chickens so no more fresh eggs

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

If you were in my neck of the woods I would constantly buy eggs from you. I love yolks so much.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So not to be argumentative, but I think it's interesting that people seem to be thinking that we should EAT our sign (i.e., Pisces eats fish, Taurus eats beef). As a Sagittarius, I'm not really into this idea (although I guess it goes back to how as a Type B I should be drinking the kumis), but my initial assumption was that we would eat as our sign would eat.

Not that that helps me a lot! ;-)

How can I get a conclusive answer on this very important question?

I am wholeheartedly against this idea.

Because I'm a Libra, and scales don't eat anything. But, if Libras can eat all of the food that we weigh on scales ... I'm sooo in.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options

As my mother would say, "If your friends jumped off the High Level bridge, would you do it too?" Just because it's popular right now does not mean it's good science. Or even good. We have three macro-nutrients and many, many micro-nutrients. I won't find many people who would argue over the necessity of a micro-nutrient, say, Vitamin D. So why do people think that the answer to their diet woes is to eliminate an entire macro-nutrient?

Besides, chances are they'll get it wrong. They'll cut breads and pastas but keep eating yams and fruit. And wonder why their carb numbers are still so high.

When I was diabetic, a well-meaning bunkmate at a women's retreat brought me a big bag of "sugar free" candies. I took one look at the nutrition label and rejected them. First ingredient? Glucose. Her nose was seriously out of joint. Oh well. I wasn't going to flake out on a sugar high just so she wouldn't be offended in her ignorance.

Fort Saskatchewan, baby!

I was born in The Fort! :-D
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,553 Member
    Options

Fort Saskatchewan, baby!

I was born in The Fort! :-D

I wasn't, but lived there from age 5 to 20. Attended the ooooold school downtown that they tore down to build the freakin' Safeway. Then Rudolph Hennig. *grins*

Btw, I am 35 now, have lived in the US for 15 years and Alabama for almost 12 and I still refer to it as "The Fort".
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options

I thought it's rather that your body transfers its own heat to the water because of heat transfer, and uses energy to get itself back to body temperature.
    Same thing in the end but your body isn't actively trying to heat up the water.

Okay - I suppose that's true. In the end, it's all thermodynamics, and the Universe just trying to get to the state of highest entropy.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    She should have sent them to my house. A hawk got my mom's chickens so no more fresh eggs

Birds eat birds????? :o