The joys of office broscience - misguided food/nutrition advice

Options

Replies

• JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Morning coffee tends to bring out the WTFs in our office.

We have three contenders from today:-

1. The group of three young women currently doing a "cleanse". No caffeine, no added sugar. Nothing but water until lunchtime, when they have a protein shake, then nothing but water until dinner which is veggies. Apparently they do it for nine days every few months.

2. One of the older women in the office came to me and said "I was making food for a shout this morning, and I remembered you like pate, so I made some". I responded with "that's lovely, thank you very much" and went back to my protein cookie. A few minutes later she had actually spread pate on a cracker and was trying to feed it to me...

3. The stick-thin 20 year old guy saying "I never got the whole diet thing". Then when he got jumped on by most of the women, tried to get our resident ironman to support him. Response:- "I'm always on a *bleep* diet". OK - that was more amusing than WTF :smiley:
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    Morning coffee tends to bring out the WTFs in our office.

We have three contenders from today:-

1. The group of three young women currently doing a "cleanse". No caffeine, no added sugar. Nothing but water until lunchtime, when they have a protein shake, then nothing but water until dinner which is veggies. Apparently they do it for nine days every few months.

2. One of the older women in the office came to me and said "I was making food for a shout this morning, and I remembered you like pate, so I made some". I responded with "that's lovely, thank you very much" and went back to my protein cookie. A few minutes later she had actually spread pate on a cracker and was trying to feed it to me...

3. The stick-thin 20 year old guy saying "I never got the whole diet thing". Then when he got jumped on by most of the women, tried to get our resident ironman to support him. Response:- "I'm always on a *bleep* diet". OK - that was more amusing than WTF :smiley:

Ooops - just mentioned the cleanse that the young'uns are doing to an older, fitness fanatic, colleague. She rolled her eyes and said that they're young and don't understand nutrition etc... so I made a comment about wondering whether I should point out to them that their liver and kidneys do a fantastic job at detoxing, so they don't need to help them along.... fitness fanatic got all in my face because she has a detox shake every morning.

Head... meet desk.
  • serasmommy
    serasmommy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    Has anyone else been told that smelling food will take away the craving for it? If so and it worked for you how long did you smell the food before your craving was satisfied?

I don't know about this, but I have found that I can derive a certain amount of satisfaction from watching other people eat foods I'm choosing not to.
    Fair warning: people find this creepy.

Lol I'm a waitress and. ..yeah. I creepily enjoy my customers enjoying their meals. Yeah. ....
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I got a Twizzler from the break room and got the old, "Are you ALLOWED to eat that?"
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    I got a Twizzler from the break room and got the old, "Are you ALLOWED to eat that?"

The only answer to that is a paranoid and wild eyed, "NO! SO, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T TELL MY MOM!"
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    (alternatively, adjust a tin foil hat and whisper, "what THEY don't know, won't hurt them!" and scamper off mysteriously....)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    yogi323 wrote:
    he tries to tell me that ... sugar from fruit and sugar from table sugar is different.
    Wellllll.... they are.
    Table sugar is fruit sugar (fructose) + blood sugar (glucose).

Wikipedia at least links to decent sources.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar
    "The table or granulated sugar most customarily used as food is sucrose, a disaccharide.
    (In the body, sucrose hydrolyses into fructose and glucose.)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucrose

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose
    "Sucrose is a compound with one molecule of glucose covalently linked to one molecule of fructose."
    "Fructose ... is a simple ... monosaccharide ... It is one of the three dietary monosaccharides, along
    with glucose and galactose, that are absorbed directly into the bloodstream during digestion."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago two women in my dance class told me they had heard that you shouldn't drink any water while exercising or immediately afterward, because it was dangerous--as in it could kill you. I didn't argue, just tried to let my doubt show on my face and in my voice when I asked why, but they didn't have an answer. I mean, if they had said don't drink a lot of water, that would have been one thing, but no water....?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago two women in my dance class told me they had heard that you shouldn't drink any water while exercising or immediately afterward, because it was dangerous--as in it could kill you. I didn't argue, just tried to let my doubt show on my face and in my voice when I asked why, but they didn't have an answer. I mean, if they had said don't drink a lot of water, that would have been one thing, but no water....?

Print this and give it to them next time:
    http://www.mlive.com/health/index.ssf/2012/08/football_players_urged_to_be_c.html
  • irunforpizza
    irunforpizza Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I was given a detox-diet pamphlet and it says that the macro-nutrients are carbohydrates, sugar, and fat.

Apparently, sugar isn't a carbohydrate and protein is a micro-nutrient.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    yogi323 wrote:
    he tries to tell me that ... sugar from fruit and sugar from table sugar is different.
    Wellllll.... they are.
    Table sugar is fruit sugar (fructose) + blood sugar (glucose).

Wikipedia at least links to decent sources.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar
    "The table or granulated sugar most customarily used as food is sucrose, a disaccharide.
    (In the body, sucrose hydrolyses into fructose and glucose.)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucrose

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose
    "Sucrose is a compound with one molecule of glucose covalently linked to one molecule of fructose."
    "Fructose ... is a simple ... monosaccharide ... It is one of the three dietary monosaccharides, along
    with glucose and galactose, that are absorbed directly into the bloodstream during digestion."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose

And fruits often come with a mix of all of the above.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    A person in my life is of firm core belief that NO woman despite height age activity level etc should eat over 1200 calories. Somewhere along the line they got that number as the absolute for all.
    Sigh

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Today, a co-worker comes into the break room and asks me why peanut butter is considered junk food. I said it's not. Then she tells me that she and her daughter are going to be doing this 21-day no junk food challenge and that the list of prohibited foods includes peanut butter, Nutella, and other spreads like that. I told her I could understand maybe the Nutella because there's a lot of sugar in it. She asked what was in peanut butter. I said fat. Then she said that must be it and walked out. All I can do is shake my head.

Most supermarket peanut butter has a lot of added sugar. It's nothing like the 'real' stuff. That's probably what they were referring to but it's easier just to ban peanut butter altogether.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options

This goes right along with the older guy at the gym who has taken an interest in my weight loss journey and progress. I've told him I'm in maintenance. He says I must weigh 120lbs. I tell him no, I weigh 153. He's shocked any woman could weigh that much and be so small. Three months pass. I've lost a size while maintaining my weight. He tells me how wonderful I look, teases that I must be getting ready for a show, and then asks how much I weigh. I tell him 153. He's shocked! I really think he thinks all women weigh 120.[/quote]

I'd disappear at side view at 120, hey maybe we on to something; )
  • alibanjo
    alibanjo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I really struggle to know what I should believe when it comes to nutrition. Broscience does seem to infect most websites, even ones I'd consider informative. I've taken to hunting down actual studies done on nutrition whenever I read an article that I'm not sure about.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options

I think that was a common belief sometime in the 1950s. My dad, who is in his 70's, has told me about having 2 a day football practices in August and not being allowed to drink water during practice because they thought it was bad for you. Apparently they took salt tablets to help retain water and hurried to the corner store after practice where they guzzled juice and Cokes.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    Has anyone else been told that smelling food will take away the craving for it? If so and it worked for you how long did you smell the food before your craving was satisfied?

I don't know about this, but I have found that I can derive a certain amount of satisfaction from watching other people eat foods I'm choosing not to.
    Fair warning: people find this creepy.

Lol :D
  • fr3smyl
    Options

JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Lizzy622 wrote: »

Birds eat birds????? :o
    The hawks like my ducklings better than my chickens.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So not to be argumentative, but I think it's interesting that people seem to be thinking that we should EAT our sign (i.e., Pisces eats fish, Taurus eats beef). As a Sagittarius, I'm not really into this idea (although I guess it goes back to how as a Type B I should be drinking the kumis), but my initial assumption was that we would eat as our sign would eat.

Not that that helps me a lot! ;-)

How can I get a conclusive answer on this very important question?
    I don't think I'd mind eating horse but that's illegal in the US.

"Pet broscience" is a whole other can of worms

It's illegal... what... why... how...

It's a damn good meat, and I say that as a horse lover. I don't see how a country can outlaw specific meats (other than human of course). As long as it is killed according to law then it really shouldn't matter.

It's not illegal to eat horse in the US. It's illegal to produce for sale, because they've defunded horse slaughter inspections, and you can't sell meat without USDA inspection. You can import it from other countries if you want it. or kill your own horse and eat it. It's not as simple as going to Aldi for ground beef and getting a bonus, though.
    true very true.

• fr3smyl
    Options

:D