The joys of office broscience - misguided food/nutrition advice

Options

Replies

• lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    For the hot sauce eaters I have a question. :p Your use of hot sauce doesn't have any thing to do with that girlie magazine a few years back that had an article about Penelope Cruz does it?

The one that said she would drink a cup of water and eat hot pepper or cinnamon with every meal to avoid gaining weight.

I love hot sauce of various types on everything. ..but only because of flavor. Been "using " way before the cool kids did;)
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    For the hot sauce eaters I have a question. :p Your use of hot sauce doesn't have any thing to do with that girlie magazine a few years back that had an article about Penelope Cruz does it?

The one that said she would drink a cup of water and eat hot pepper or cinnamon with every meal to avoid gaining weight.

That makes sense to me. I know every once in awhile I'll go a little nuts with the peppers when making Chili, and my portion size for that batch is probably 1/2 cup. The majority of those calories are probably spent sweating and shaking too.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    DaveinSK wrote: »

That makes sense to me. I know every once in awhile I'll go a little nuts with the peppers when making Chili, and my portion size for that batch is probably 1/2 cup. The majority of those calories are probably spent sweating and shaking too.

Lol :D
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I rub coconut oil into my skin daily and use a homemade scrub containing either olive oil or coconut oil twice a week and have managed to hit my goal weight.
    We use it for the same things my house too :)
    It just makes the skin feel so guuuuud. :#

• CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I recently started working at a Physio clinic (I am a physiotherapist). The owner is also a physiotherapist and a Pilate's instructor and conducts classes . She also gives "diet" advice to her clients for weight loss. She has a scale that measures body fat % and states BMR. So recently she was telling one of her new client how her BMR was 1500 cals which means that is the amount of cals she requires to just survive a day. Then she went on to say how if she eats more than that it will be converted to fat. She explained her that to lose one lb she needs to burn 3500 cals a week or 500 cals per day. She told the client she could burn 250 cals through exercise. And then she lost the plot. She continued to tell her she has to save the other 250 cals from her diet!!! Basically contradicting herself!!!
    So anyway after the client left I explained her the whole concept of BMR and tdee and tdee- 15%. And I showed her how her client could eat 1800 cals per day and still lose 1 lb .
    So she replied, " oh OK I understand all this , but tell me they don't lose weight when they eat this much (1500) so there is no way they will lose weight if they eat 1800 cals. "
    I just nodded and and smiled weakly.
  • fr3smyl
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @bcomingfitmom they probably didn't accurately count calories like on something like MFP. I don't know why the CICO never made sense to me before.

Reading the stuff you guys say on the forums clicks more now that I've been doing it.

Before I was more likely to believe the 'eat before 8pm', 'only certain foods on certain days', and 'your body shape can't eat this' type of spill.

And if it doesn't all come off in a month, or the weight loss isn't completely linear, or you ate something not on a certain list, you anger the weight loss gods and they will curse you with the weight of their wrath sort of thing.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    @bcomingfitmom they probably didn't accurately count calories like on something like MFP. I don't know why the CICO never made sense to me before.

Reading the stuff you guys say on the forums clicks more now that I've been doing it.

Before I was more likely to believe the 'eat before 8pm', 'only certain foods on certain days', and 'your body shape can't eat this' type of spill.

And if it doesn't all come off in a month or the weight loss isn't completely linear or you ate something not on a certain list you anger the weight loss gods and they will curse you with the weight of their wrath sort of thing.

Yup. The owner gave a simple answer to something that could have a whole slew of possible answers. Heck we've had people on here say even if you're not counting accurately, why not reduce the total amount and you'll lose weight anyway.
  • athena61
    athena61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    seric2000 wrote: »
    I have a coworker who refuses to eat meat. I told her it was nice that she was a vegetarian.
    She said "no, I'm not a vegetarian. I just don't eat anything with muscles because I read that muscle weighs so much more than fat and I don't want to ingest all that heavy meat muscle". (shovels in the macaroni and cheese)
    Go ahead...be flabbergasted.

I'm mostly reading this for entertainment, but I must interrupt to say OMG (face palm). I hope she's on birth control.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    Well I tried smelling the food today. I don't know....there may be something to this. I will try smelling food over the next few weeks and see what happens. ;)
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    When I smell food I crave food.

When I crave food I eat food.

When I eat food I gain weight.

Therefore, smelling food makes me gain weight.

Q.E.D.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    All man. That's the opposite of how the technique should work. Maybe you're the exception and not the rule.
  • ihearthanson
    ihearthanson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Did you not know that if you break a biscuit in half, all the calories fall out?!

I overheard someone at work telling her friend this. I was convinced, obviously, that she knew it was a wind up. But I genuinely think she actually believed it. She wasn't the sharpest tool in the box I might add....
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    When I smell food I crave food.

When I crave food I eat food.

When I eat food I gain weight.

Therefore, smelling food makes me gain weight.

Q.E.D.

**Slow Clap**

Great job, Man. You're my hero
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    lol

kuv1946nc7cw.png
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    Did you not know that if you break a biscuit in half, all the calories fall out?!

I overheard someone at work telling her friend this. I was convinced, obviously, that she knew it was a wind up. But I genuinely think she actually believed it. She wasn't the sharpest tool in the box I might add....

Wow. That's one I have actually never heard before. I may use it.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    lol

kuv1946nc7cw.png

Hmmmm...

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

This reminds me of a few entries I've seen in the database, where an incalculable thing is changed by a user and suddenly half of the calories are gone.

• fr3smyl
    edited May 2015
    Options
    As a kid my aunt told me weight doesn't come off after you it age 30. Which completely baffled my mind when a year later my grandma (aged 62 at the time) loss 65 pounds.
    I was such a gullible kid.
  • Bobbie63
    Bobbie63 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    So, ok I haven't read much in the past few years, but, as long as I can remember, eating late was bad, and carbs (except slow) such as breads, potatoes and such were bad as they turned to sugar much faster than veggies or other things that had carbs in them. So, what is the easiest book to read to find out what all the dieting things I was told, are now not true.
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    In ye old times people did not feed according their blood type, we're unhealthier now that's why general population goes heavier. I think myths are scarce nowdays.