The joys of office broscience - misguided food/nutrition advice

Options
1293031323335»

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    rdkstar wrote: »
    I was standing in line at a restaurant waiting for my veggie omelet to be cooked. A overweight guy next to me said that I should not eat tomatos because they make you fat. I'm at my normal bmi so I just smiled and nodded.

However, the nice part is my kids keep bringing this up and laughing about it. At least my kids know better.

I promise to have faith in humanity forever and ever if we could somehow prove he was joking :laugh:
  • catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    seric2000 wrote: »
    I have a coworker who refuses to eat meat. I told her it was nice that she was a vegetarian.
    She said "no, I'm not a vegetarian. I just don't eat anything with muscles because I read that muscle weighs so much more than fat and I don't want to ingest all that heavy meat muscle". (shovels in the macaroni and cheese)
    Go ahead...be flabbergasted.

Whahahaha
  • hanksmom79
    hanksmom79 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have a FB friend (I use the term loosely) that is selling for one of the billion MLMs out there. Their flagship product is a detox tea. They claim it will cause you to PASS WORMS that are just crawling around from "eating fish, meat & sushi". WHAT??

She had another product post that claimed if you put these special drops in your water you can magically lose 30 lbs in 30 days!! Morbid curiosity and google filled in the missing pieces...You must follow their 750-1000 calorie a day diet plan. Geez! And people online are eating this stuff up

*face palm*
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    hanksmom79 wrote: »
    I have a FB friend (I use the term loosely) that is selling for one of the billion MLMs out there. Their flagship product is a detox tea. They claim it will cause you to PASS WORMS that are just crawling around from "eating fish, meat & sushi". WHAT??

She had another product post that claimed if you put these special drops in your water you can magically lose 30 lbs in 30 days!! Morbid curiosity and google filled in the missing pieces...You must follow their 750-1000 calorie a day diet plan. Geez! And people online are eating this stuff up

*face palm*

And don't forget the worms. They probably weigh a pretty penny.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Why don't I learn my lesson - I keep reading things while eating lunch :tongue: Still beats the hell out of an actual conversation - you generally don't abruptly terminate those after ten minutes ;)
  • brilliantwords
    brilliantwords Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I listened to a group of middle aged and retirement age women talk about how "fattening" bananas are, and how they're avoiding them while discussing it over tea and pie. No lie. Also, I gave up on trying to convince a couple people that the "It Works!" wraps do NOT work. It was a pointless conversation.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I was told no one could lose weight while eating dairy. It was a proven fact.
  • TinyRaccoon19
    TinyRaccoon19 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Apparently you can lose 10kg (22lb) per month simply by drinking icy water that has had a sliced up apple and a cinnamon quill soaked in it overnight. It flushes parasites and excess fat from your body. Or so an (obess, delusional, optimistic) acquaintance of mine tells her clients. She also believes coconut oil will cure everything from cancer to hormone imbalances to diabetes.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My office often has vendors onsite, can be anything really. Ive seen the book people, jewellery, the body shop..

Today is "Oregano Gold" who sell coffee and they sent this email around today to let eveyone know:
    OREGANO GOLD
    Balances pH levels
    Provides energy
    Oxygenates the body
    Boosts the immune system
    Increase stamina
    Naturally detoxifies
    192 active antioxidants

ALL OTHER COFFEE
    Dehydrates
    Raises stress levels
    Raises blood pressure
    Is acidic and toxic
    Causes caffeine crashes
    No nutritional value

I have no words
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac disease so I've been on a gluten free diet for about five years. One of my friends said that she was surprised I hadn't dropped a ton of weight seeing as I'm gluten free. Hmmm excess gluten free calories are processed just like gluten calories! Who knew???
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    My office often has vendors onsite, can be anything really. Ive seen the book people, jewellery, the body shop..

Today is "Oregano Gold" who sell coffee and they sent this email around today to let eveyone know:
    OREGANO GOLD
    Balances pH levels
    Provides energy
    Oxygenates the body
    Boosts the immune system
    Increase stamina
    Naturally detoxifies
    192 active antioxidants

ALL OTHER COFFEE
    Dehydrates
    Raises stress levels
    Raises blood pressure
    Is acidic and toxic
    Causes caffeine crashes
    No nutritional value

I have no words

Oregano Gold sounds like something you'd smoke. ;)
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

OREGANO GOLD
    Balances pH levels
    Provides energy
    Oxygenates the body
    Boosts the immune system
    Increase stamina
    Naturally detoxifies
    192 active antioxidants

ALL OTHER COFFEE
    Dehydrates
    Raises stress levels
    Raises blood pressure
    Is acidic and toxic
    Causes caffeine crashes
    No nutritional value

I have no words

Oregano Gold sounds like something you'd smoke. ;)

You are smoking a lie!

• Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    When I was working at a large electronics store I was telling a coworker about Quest bars and go the on eout of my purse to show him. Well one of the other workers grabbed it and said that is has over 20g of carbs so it was not good for you. I looked at him like he was crazy and asked him why. He then said "oh well I don't workout so I can't eat carbs". The next day a saw him chugging a 20oz coke.

I guess there are no carbs in sugar.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    When I was working at a large electronics store I was telling a coworker about Quest bars and go the on eout of my purse to show him. Well one of the other workers grabbed it and said that is has over 20g of carbs so it was not good for you. I looked at him like he was crazy and asked him why. He then said "oh well I don't workout so I can't eat carbs". The next day a saw him chugging a 20oz coke.

I guess there are no carbs in sugar.

He doesn't eat carbs but he drinks them. Duh. Try to keep up :laugh: