Options

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    icanplay3 wrote: »
    I wish I would've never announced that I'm starting the weight loss "journey" to my family/friends. They ALL have great advice for me. Don't eat carbs because they make you fat. Don't eat dessert because it makes you fat. Oh, you want to lose 100 pounds!? You will NEVER do that without doing EXTREME exercise! You will NEVER lose weight if you don't exercise. Then my best friend, who's also 100 lbs overweight, is on the "hcg diet" where she is consuming only about 500 cals per day, then is STARVING so she "cheats" on her diet every other day and isn't losing weight. I wonder why!? smh...I am not going to announce my weight loss plans to anyone ever again. Lesson learned. LOL

Trust me, it wouldn't have mattered. I never said a thing, and when it became obvious I had lost a bunch of weight, the questions started.

What was I doing? For how long? Did I exercise? Did I know that the only way to lose weight is to avoid X food or only eat at specific times of the day? Surely I couldn't possibly be eating that piece of pie on my diet? Etc, ad nauseum.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if they thought I had some kind of extreme lipo done since I couldn't possibly have lost weight doing the things I'd done and was still doing.

More than a year later, I still get those comments from the same people.

Trying to lose weight/get fit/get healthy is like having to live a double life or have a secret identity, I swear.

I actively avoid discussing my eating habits, my workouts, my gains/losses, because EVERYONE has some sort of opinion they want to talk at you.

Lets not even get into if you just want to lose a little excess weight if you're not extremely overweight or something. Then you have to get into the "Yes, I KNOW I'm not 'fat', I'm just trying to get in better shape NO I'm not commenting on your eating habits or calling YOU fat, oh god why are we now talking about YOUR weight I didn't even wanna talk about this in the first place NO thank you I don't really even like cupcakes honestly no SERIOUSLY it isn't because I'm trying to be 'so perfect' I just-"

I used to have co-workers asking me how I lost so much weight. My answer was always "I ate less and got up off the couch". Then they look at me as if I just cursed them.

I felt a bit odd about 3 of the women in my office asking me what is the secret to losing weight when they're all normal to rather thin weight. I told them I'd have to figure out something to claim did it before I write my diet book.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I wish I would've never announced that I'm starting the weight loss "journey" to my family/friends. They ALL have great advice for me. Don't eat carbs because they make you fat. Don't eat dessert because it makes you fat. Oh, you want to lose 100 pounds!? You will NEVER do that without doing EXTREME exercise! You will NEVER lose weight if you don't exercise. Then my best friend, who's also 100 lbs overweight, is on the "hcg diet" where she is consuming only about 500 cals per day, then is STARVING so she "cheats" on her diet every other day and isn't losing weight. I wonder why!? smh...I am not going to announce my weight loss plans to anyone ever again. Lesson learned. LOL

Trust me, it wouldn't have mattered. I never said a thing, and when it became obvious I had lost a bunch of weight, the questions started.

What was I doing? For how long? Did I exercise? Did I know that the only way to lose weight is to avoid X food or only eat at specific times of the day? Surely I couldn't possibly be eating that piece of pie on my diet? Etc, ad nauseum.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if they thought I had some kind of extreme lipo done since I couldn't possibly have lost weight doing the things I'd done and was still doing.

Trying to lose weight/get fit/get healthy is like having to live a double life or have a secret identity, I swear.

I actively avoid discussing my eating habits, my workouts, my gains/losses, because EVERYONE has some sort of opinion they want to talk at you.

Lets not even get into if you just want to lose a little excess weight if you're not extremely overweight or something. Then you have to get into the "Yes, I KNOW I'm not 'fat', I'm just trying to get in better shape NO I'm not commenting on your eating habits or calling YOU fat, oh god why are we now talking about YOUR weight I didn't even wanna talk about this in the first place NO thank you I don't really even like cupcakes honestly no SERIOUSLY it isn't because I'm trying to be 'so perfect' I just-"

I used to have co-workers asking me how I lost so much weight. My answer was always "I ate less and got up off the couch". Then they look at me as if I just cursed them.

I felt a bit odd about 3 of the women in my office asking me what is the secret to losing weight when they're all normal to rather thin weight. I told them I'd have to figure out something to claim did it before I write my diet book.

lol I wrote a long thing and posted in on FB. No-one read it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i had a guy who works at a gym and helps people-not quite a trainer but does provide some dietary advice to not know anything about the the benefits of magnesium and potassium. :heartbreak:
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I received a dietitian consult as part of getting a DEXA scan. The person recommended I try to space my protein out, basically suggesting I eat 5 or 6 small meats a day to make sure my body uses protein for building instead of using it for fuel.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I tell people it's all the gelato I eat. I figure it counteracts some of the "sugar is the worse thing for weight loss" mentality out there. Most people wander away looking confused.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

I tell people it's all the gelato I eat. I figure it counteracts some of the "sugar is the worse thing for weight loss" mentality out there. Most people wander away looking confused.

:smiley: I like your style!
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Well, I like hearing how I can't be vegetarian because all vegetarians are sickly and underweight. Ummmm, no, I really am a vegetarian, I do eat mostly vegetables, but I ate too many calories and stopped exercising. So, yep, I gained weight.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    "... as long as you eat clean you can eat as much as you want and still lose weight!" This has been told to me multiple times when I tell people I count calories to lose weight.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

:D
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    This thread has all the awesomes.

On our first day back at work after New Year this year, the office gossips were gathered around discussing the detoxes they'd be on. I just got on with my work.

Another cow-orker is such a sweetie, but such a woo. Seeing a naturopath (sigh) for all the latest "allergies"; references Dr Oz for her citations; goji berries; is tiny, on the 5:2 diet for months but still "needs to lose weight"...

Her latest is drinking water with lemon because "it alter's the body's PH". I guess she'll be dead soon. ;)

I change my body's pH in cycle with phases of the moon. It is a much more effective cleanse.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    I thought long and hard about it and I'm only going to long the calories I put in my mouth. It's seems too hard to log the ones I touch. I'm not even sure the calorie count of lotion.
    I guess it depends on the brand and how much you use.

Well, if you really want to kick logging accuracy to the curb and totally sabotage your entire fitness journey then go for it. You gonna pretend those calories you inhaled sniffing the office donuts didn't happen either?

I'm dying. :D That's how I started losing weight recently. I had to start logging it all.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    An acquaintance who needs to lose over 100 lbs. claims she was told by her physician (!) to start a low-carb diet, but not to start exercising yet, because exercise would cause her blood to 'hold on to sugar'.

You started this as though it's not a fact. Those are greedy little hoarders.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me the weird "don't eat past 9pm" thing? I've heard that a few times and I'm feeling search engine lazy right now.

I had a pretty drunken/intense discussion with my friend about this, and she went home and emailed me these studies at like 3 am. I didn't get too into them, but you might find something fun in there.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25707276
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25711020
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25665169
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25707277

Were these people high when they did these studies?

These studies are valid in terms of looking at the role of food in the sleep entrainment of animals, particularly in the laboratory. I've got a sleep disorder, so I'm a bit more "up" on this, as hocus-pocusy as it seems. (Most people who have my disorder are obese, BTW. :P )

TL;DR: If your late-night snacking isn't messing with your sleep schedule, does not apply to you.

All my food is in one "meal" because, as a result of my messed up sleep, my meals are messed up, too. You can also see that my intake varies DRAMATICALLY. I don't do hunger--this reflects actual changes in the level of my hunger on different days. A lot has to do with my messed-up sleep.

But for some people, messing with meal-timing can mess with sleep cycles, which in turn usually changes total amount of calories consumed.
  • DeeKayElle
    DeeKayElle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I object to the character assassination of Adipose.

I have one on fb who sells one of those herbalife type things. She's courteous enough that she keeps 99% of her sales pitches to a business page, but once a month she'll post before and after pics of her clients to her personal page. I can never tell which is the before and which is the after.

• DeeKayElle
    Options
    WHAT A wonderful thread. It's such a relief. Food regimens are the cults of the day and everyone feels they must enlighten you. I mostly just nod. It's exhausting to "engage."

• DeeKayElle
    Options
    DeeKayElle wrote: »
    WHAT A wonderful thread. It's such a relief. Food regimens are the cults of the day and everyone feels they must enlighten you. I mostly just nod. It's exhausting to "engage."

I'm in for the zodiac diet because I'm a Gemini and I think it will mean two lunches for me

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

On our first day back at work after New Year this year, the office gossips were gathered around discussing the detoxes they'd be on. I just got on with my work.

Another cow-orker is such a sweetie, but such a woo. Seeing a naturopath (sigh) for all the latest "allergies"; references Dr Oz for her citations; goji berries; is tiny, on the 5:2 diet for months but still "needs to lose weight"...

Her latest is drinking water with lemon because "it alter's the body's PH". I guess she'll be dead soon. ;)

I change my body's pH in cycle with phases of the moon. It is a much more effective cleanse.

Nice. But do you follow David Avocado Wolfe's recommendation (wear an amethyst) or Food Babe's (coconut oil in green tea)?
  • fr3smyl
    Options

Nice. But do you follow David Avocado Wolfe's recommendation (wear an amethyst) or Food Babe's (coconut oil in green tea)?

I don't wear an amethyst, but an opal. I had to use the jewel of my astrological sign it syncs the body more effectively.
    I have not read up on those two...but sounds interesting.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    cblue315 wrote:
    I was told today that I should never allow my heart rate to go above 120 while exercising.
    I replied that I lost most of my weight (down over 110 pounds) was with cardio and weight
    lifting. She told me to stop because it does not work.
    o.O
    I always wonder how people reconcile things like that in their minds, or are they even listening
    to what you say, seeing your success, etc.?

Did you not know that if you break a biscuit in half, all the calories fall out?!
    In the 80's I had a cartoon from the comic strip Cathy showing her pulverizing cookies with a
    rolling pin, and the caption was something like 'broken cookies have no calories', or 'if you
    break a cookie, the calories leak out'.
  • rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I was standing in line at a restaurant waiting for my veggie omelet to be cooked. A overweight guy next to me said that I should not eat tomatos because they make you fat. I'm at my normal bmi so I just smiled and nodded.

However, the nice part is my kids keep bringing this up and laughing about it. At least my kids know better.