The joys of office broscience - misguided food/nutrition advice

Options

Replies

• fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Is there any truth to touching fat with your bare hands making you fat? Something about it being able to be absorbed through the press in your hands?
  • icanplay3
    icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I wish I would've never announced that I'm starting the weight loss "journey" to my family/friends. They ALL have great advice for me. Don't eat carbs because they make you fat. Don't eat dessert because it makes you fat. Oh, you want to lose 100 pounds!? You will NEVER do that without doing EXTREME exercise! You will NEVER lose weight if you don't exercise. Then my best friend, who's also 100 lbs overweight, is on the "hcg diet" where she is consuming only about 500 cals per day, then is STARVING so she "cheats" on her diet every other day and isn't losing weight. I wonder why!? smh...I am not going to announce my weight loss plans to anyone ever again. Lesson learned. LOL
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    Is there any truth to touching fat with your bare hands making you fat? Something about it being able to be absorbed through the press in your hands?
    That's why I gained weight this winter. I put coconut oil on my skin.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I once worked with a girl that didn't like the smell of any food because she was convinced that she would gain weight from it. :s
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »

Don't know if you joking or not....I knew someone who quit working at a chicken factory because she said touching all the chicken fat caused her to gain 30lbs.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    icanplay3 wrote: »
    Then my best friend, who's also 100 lbs overweight, is on the "hcg diet" where she is consuming only about 500 cals per day, then is STARVING so she "cheats" on her diet every other day and isn't losing weight. I wonder why!?

@fr3smyl; @icanplay3; I did the HCG diet years ago. It promises 40 pounds in 40 days, and it delivered . . . I think I lost a bit MORE than a pound a day. (I stuck to it religiously, though)

When I did it, the diet was administered by a doctor, who insisted on seeing me at least once a week. In addition to eating no more (and no less!) than 500 calories, she insisted that I change all soaps, shampoos, deodorants, toothpaste, etc. to ones that have NO oils or fats. (And some of them were pretty hard to find).

I don't think I subscribe to the notion that TOUCHING fat can make you gain weight . . . at least not much. But this was at least one physician who DID subscribe to that. (Or maybe it was just a mental thing, to make sure I trimmed ALL the fat off the chicken breasts)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I wish I would've never announced that I'm starting the weight loss "journey" to my family/friends. They ALL have great advice for me. Don't eat carbs because they make you fat. Don't eat dessert because it makes you fat. Oh, you want to lose 100 pounds!? You will NEVER do that without doing EXTREME exercise! You will NEVER lose weight if you don't exercise. Then my best friend, who's also 100 lbs overweight, is on the "hcg diet" where she is consuming only about 500 cals per day, then is STARVING so she "cheats" on her diet every other day and isn't losing weight. I wonder why!? smh...I am not going to announce my weight loss plans to anyone ever again. Lesson learned. LOL

Trust me, it wouldn't have mattered. I never said a thing, and when it became obvious I had lost a bunch of weight, the questions started.

What was I doing? For how long? Did I exercise? Did I know that the only way to lose weight is to avoid X food or only eat at specific times of the day? Surely I couldn't possibly be eating that piece of pie on my diet? Etc, ad nauseum.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if they thought I had some kind of extreme lipo done since I couldn't possibly have lost weight doing the things I'd done and was still doing.

More than a year later, I still get those comments from the same people.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I rub coconut oil into my skin daily and use a homemade scrub containing either olive oil or coconut oil twice a week and have managed to hit my goal weight.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Trust me, it wouldn't have mattered. I never said a thing, and when it became obvious I had lost a bunch of weight, the questions started.

What was I doing? For how long? Did I exercise? Did I know that the only way to lose weight is to avoid X food or only eat at specific times of the day? Surely I couldn't possibly be eating that piece of pie on my diet? Etc, ad nauseum.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if they thought I had some kind of extreme lipo done since I couldn't possibly have lost weight doing the things I'd done and was still doing.

Trying to lose weight/get fit/get healthy is like having to live a double life or have a secret identity, I swear.

I actively avoid discussing my eating habits, my workouts, my gains/losses, because EVERYONE has some sort of opinion they want to talk at you.

Lets not even get into if you just want to lose a little excess weight if you're not extremely overweight or something. Then you have to get into the "Yes, I KNOW I'm not 'fat', I'm just trying to get in better shape NO I'm not commenting on your eating habits or calling YOU fat, oh god why are we now talking about YOUR weight I didn't even wanna talk about this in the first place NO thank you I don't really even like cupcakes honestly no SERIOUSLY it isn't because I'm trying to be 'so perfect' I just-"
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I was told today that I should never allow my heart rate to go above 120 while exercising. I replied that I lost most of my weight (down over 110 pounds) was with cardio and weight lifting. She told me to stop because it does not work. Mmmmm.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Trying to lose weight/get fit/get healthy is like having to live a double life or have a secret identity, I swear.

I actively avoid discussing my eating habits, my workouts, my gains/losses, because EVERYONE has some sort of opinion they want to talk at you.

Lets not even get into if you just want to lose a little excess weight if you're not extremely overweight or something. Then you have to get into the "Yes, I KNOW I'm not 'fat', I'm just trying to get in better shape NO I'm not commenting on your eating habits or calling YOU fat, oh god why are we now talking about YOUR weight I didn't even wanna talk about this in the first place NO thank you I don't really even like cupcakes honestly no SERIOUSLY it isn't because I'm trying to be 'so perfect' I just-"

Yep.

It got worse when I started lifting (that was after I hit goal weight), and now that I'm running as well ...

People clearly think I'm silently passing judgement on them. I just don't say anything about any of it unless asked directly. And even then, I keep it as close to a monosyllabic response as I can.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I'm actually really glad that I never said anything. People of course noticed and some asked questions, but that was after it was established that I knew what I was doing, so I didn't have to deal with the well-meaning advice and judgments (you can't eat that when dieting! you must go low carb!) before I felt confident in what I was doing. By the time they noticed I was pretty secure in my choices.

Also, maybe I'm just lucky in my social circle, but while some asked me about it many others did not bring it up assuming I was private about it, and I heard that a few others had asked about it of mutual friends to whom I am closer, basically to make sure it was a good thing and not the result of illness before bringing it up.

I mentioned this in another thread, but our office cleaning woman is super tactless (last time she "complemented" me on a haircut she basically said that I'd looked terrible before and let it go too long, she told me I look 30 years younger with the weight loss and keeps asking me how much I've lost and asked a male co-worker to comment on how great I look (to both of our extreme embarrassment), she has tried to set another co-worker up with various people, numerous other stories).

Anyway, she would not give up on asking me how I lost the weight "so fast" and did not buy exercise and eating less, kept asking about special diets and blah, blah. I had no idea where her mind was until finally she asked me straight out if I'd had surgery. I denied it--since it's not true--but acknowledged that I'd cut carbs some which seems to have finally helped her get over it.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »

Ah, but if you believe some of the broscience I've seen on MFP, coconut oil is a MAJICKAL SUPERFOOD that KICK STARTS YOUR METABOLISM for FAT BURNING.

So, really, you should have lost weight, if we are riding that train.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    cblue315 wrote: »
    I was told today that I should never allow my heart rate to go above 120 while exercising. I replied that I lost most of my weight (down over 110 pounds) was with cardio and weight lifting. She told me to stop because it does not work. Mmmmm.

Haha
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    My family always says eating after 8pm guarantees weight gain. They had a tough time in Europe.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    @Lizzy622 , Yeah I use it a lot too but people have told me stories....stories they believe.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My family always says eating after 8pm guarantees weight gain. They had a tough time in Europe.

Is that 8PM where you ARE, or where you LIVE? I'm getting really confused.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »

Is that 8PM where you ARE, or where you LIVE? I'm getting really confused.

Oh sorry. They believed that if you ate after 2000hrs in the time zone you were staying in that you woke up heavier.

When they begin to travel and meet other cultures they found a world of people that are after that time and never woke up h heavier than when they went to sleep.
    They found it baffling and said the 8pm weight thing may just apply to family members.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    I rub coconut oil into my skin daily and use a homemade scrub containing either olive oil or coconut oil twice a week and have managed to hit my goal weight.

We use it for the same things my house too :)
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    For the hot sauce eaters I have a question. :p Your use of hot sauce doesn't have any thing to do with that girlie magazine a few years back that had an article about Penelope Cruz does it?

The one that said she would drink a cup of water and eat hot pepper or cinnamon with every meal to avoid gaining weight.