The joys of office broscience - misguided food/nutrition advice

Options

Replies

• Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    Having trouble finding article it might be 20 years old instead of ten. :| But I found some information I think they were basing their facts on. I guys it's been a belief long before this. I'm not going to write all of it cause it's pretty long but
    Much debate and fluctuation or contratiety of opinion has existed as to whether. ..medical substances dissolved in a fat could be absorbed into and through the skin. That animal fat can penetrate the skin had been indisputably proven by a number of clinical and experimental observations....Animal fats are capable of passing into the organism by way of the skin, and influencing local, or even general nutrition.
    John Shoemaker, A.M., M.D.

My aunt will not touch raw chicken skin without gloves to this day.

This reminds me of my Grandma, I remember her buttering a pan and rubbing the extra butter into her hands. She didn't want to "waste all that good butter" because it softened her skin. I still do the same thing to this day, not just with butter but with any oil I'm using.

Maybe I should stop and then I'd lose more weight faster.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....

Ha, yeah - weird stuff.

I got diagnosed with a rare disorder that's one of those 'no, that can't really be a thing, can it?' conditions, and since then, I've found out SO many weird or rare disorders, because a number of them seem more common in people with MY disorder. Learning about these sometimes feels like you just entered Wonderland or something.

Even mine is just wackadoodle, a variety of a mast cell activation disorder. Basically, mast cells in the body are utilized when you fight off illness, heal wounds, have to elevate the heart rate, cope with toxins, cope with temperature changes, digest food, adjust to physical stress against the skin like friction or pressure, all sorts of things. But they're also involved in allergic reactions.

So with my disorder, sometimes the mast cells start releasing the substances involved with allergic reactions when they are supposed to release substances used for normal, everyday processes. Which means I can end up having allergic reactions to normal, everyday processes.

I can literally have an allergic reaction - all the way up to anaphylaxis - to things that aren't allergies. Like to my alarm startling me in the morning, or getting upset (elevated heart rate), or having a cold, or pricking my finger on a thorn, or even my pants being too tight.

How's that for wacko. Although I feel like I should start a t-shirt collection with things like 'I think I'm allergic to mornings.' ^_^

I'm just thankful my reactions are pretty mild, for most of this. There are some people with this who will go into anaphylaxis over just getting ticked off at someone or taking a too hot shower. 0.0
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    'starvation mode' ... it's only creative writing ;)

Winner, Winner, Chicken dinner!

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Hearing the 150 calories and nutrients in a Krispy Kreme are the same as a sweet potato and black beans.

• fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    Hmmm....

Ha, yeah - weird stuff.

I got diagnosed with a rare disorder that's one of those 'no, that can't really be a thing, can it?' conditions, and since then, I've found out SO many weird or rare disorders, because a number of them seem more common in people with MY disorder. Learning about these sometimes feels like you just entered Wonderland or something.

Even mine is just wackadoodle, a variety of a mast cell activation disorder. Basically, mast cells in the body are utilized when you fight off illness, heal wounds, have to elevate the heart rate, cope with toxins, cope with temperature changes, digest food, adjust to physical stress against the skin like friction or pressure, all sorts of things. But they're also involved in allergic reactions.

So with my disorder, sometimes the mast cells start releasing the substances involved with allergic reactions when they are supposed to release substances used for normal, everyday processes. Which means I can end up having allergic reactions to normal, everyday processes.

I can literally have an allergic reaction - all the way up to anaphylaxis - to things that aren't allergies. Like to my alarm startling me in the morning, or getting upset (elevated heart rate), or having a cold, or pricking my finger on a thorn, or even my pants being too tight.

How's that for wacko. Although I feel like I should start a t-shirt collection with things like 'I think I'm allergic to mornings.' ^_^

I'm just thankful my reactions are pretty mild, for most of this. There are some people with this who will go into anaphylaxis over just getting ticked off at someone or taking a too hot shower. 0.0

Oh wow. Before you the strangest allergy I heard of was a friend you was allergic to exercise. Well her doctor said her own sweat I believe.
    What do you do?
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. Before you the strangest allergy I heard of was a friend you was allergic to exercise. Well her doctor said her own sweat I believe.
    What do you do?

It's easier to cope with than you might think. You how some people do a food journal? Folks with this do a trigger journal, which is a bit more complicated, but not too hard. You just record down a symptom and then instead of food, you jot down literally everything that has happened to you in the last bit, from smells to temperatures to how you felt. Then see what correlates and work on ways to mitigate it, if you can (like you figure out strong wind against the skin is one of your triggers, or heat to the face is, or being really annoyed). Folks with this don't react to everything, but the list of what they CAN react to can be chosen everything, you know? It can change as time goes on, but in either direction, so sometimes, you stop reacting to something that you used to. That's always a nice one.

A low histamine diet helps keep histamine levels down and reactions less likely. Mast cell stabilizing nutrients help make reactions less likely. And then some folks with this have a lot of drugs - anti-histamines and mast cell stabilizing drugs and steroids and anti-inflammatories and such. They don't do anything but help some of the symptoms though, and not all of them, so mostly, you try to figure out what your body considers bad this month and stay away from it.

...which can have unexpected benefits. Like when talking to your ex and you're so annoyed that you start to trigger. Whoops, sorry, this is too annoying for me to deal with today. I'll have a bad reaction if we keep going. Buh-bye. ^_^
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I had a co-worker tell me they were allergic to water and that any time they drink it they throw up. So they can only drink soda/sweet tea now... what??? And in the same sentence they said they were allergic to vitamin supplements. I find both hard to believe, but I'm not a doctor so what do I know.
    So they can only drink flavoured/surgary water? Amazing what people can believe.

Nah, that's a real thing. Doesn't mean everyone who thinks they have it actually has it, but yeah...

The world is a strange, strange place.
  • WarningHillAhead
    WarningHillAhead Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump! These are hilarious.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    You can't bump this kind of thread, funny doesn't just happen. People actually have to encounter stuff.
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    seric2000 wrote: »
    I have a coworker who refuses to eat meat. I told her it was nice that she was a vegetarian.
    She said "no, I'm not a vegetarian. I just don't eat anything with muscles because I read that muscle weighs so much more than fat and I don't want to ingest all that heavy meat muscle". (shovels in the macaroni and cheese)
    Go ahead...be flabbergasted.

That cannot be from the same reality I exist in.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Now that is ****** funny!!!
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    My coworkers are going on one of those MLM shake diets because they need to get to 130 lbs. to be a size 6. According to them 130 always equals a size 6 regardless of height, body shape, or composition.

lmbo
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    I had a co-worker tell me they were allergic to water and that any time they drink it they throw up. So they can only drink soda/sweet tea now... what??? And in the same sentence they said they were allergic to vitamin supplements.

Hate to say it but...that's actually entirely possible, for both of those.

An allergy to water, that's an actual thing, if a really, really rare one (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2100451/The-woman-allergic-water-kiss-fiance.html ). And only being able to drink something like soda or sweet tea? That's a real thing, too. While some can drink water, some can't. They can drink fluids (or they'd die, obviously) but they have to find the fluids that their body will tolerate and not react to. The gal mentioned in the article can drink tea, too, even if plain water is bad. But there are a few others (and there are not many, world-wide) who can't drink tea or juice, but can tolerate milk, or soda...guess it shows just how little soda resembles real food, LOL.

Although honestly, unless the co-worker is getting hives from TOUCHING water, then it seems pretty unlikely. It's much more likely she's allergic to something IN the water. Sulfite sensitive people, for example, will react to water with sulfites added. Some city water supplies, and bottled water companies, put that into the water. I know someone who was allergic to something in most carbon water filters, and she was sick for years until she realized and got different filters for her house water. And corn allergic people often react to water too - water softening agents can contain corn.

And on the supplements...yeah, that's a thing, too. Although again, it's more something WITH the vitamins, not the vitamins themselves. With an allergy to just one or two things (corn, again, for example), you'll react to pretty much every vitamin supplement on the market. They all have very similar inactive ingredients, these days.

So while the person sounds like they really haven't thought some of this through, they may, in fact, at least be correct in how they're feeling when they try to consume these things.

So... how can one be allergic to a thing but fine with something that's 99.9% that thing?
  • WarningHillAhead
    WarningHillAhead Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    You can't bump this kind of thread, funny doesn't just happen. People actually have to encounter stuff.
    Ohmigosh you are so right, bro! What was I THINKING? From now on, I will check with you before every post to see if it's socially acceptable so this sort of thing doesn't happen again.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Ohmigosh you are so right, bro! What was I THINKING? From now on, I will check with you before every post to see if it's socially acceptable so this sort of thing doesn't happen again.
    Good, I'm glad you've seen my benevolent wisdom. Now go out and find people who hold funny beliefs about diet and exercise, and bring their stories unto us.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I thought you guts were joking about the blood type diet....I saw the ad on TV yesterday. I was so wrong. He didn't bring up super rare blood types though.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    My friend doesn't eat rice and banana at all as it makes her fat.Too many cals you know!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    This thread has all the awesomes.

On our first day back at work after New Year this year, the office gossips were gathered around discussing the detoxes they'd be on. I just got on with my work.

Another cow-orker is such a sweetie, but such a woo. Seeing a naturopath (sigh) for all the latest "allergies"; references Dr Oz for her citations; goji berries; is tiny, on the 5:2 diet for months but still "needs to lose weight"...

Her latest is drinking water with lemon because "it alter's the body's PH". I guess she'll be dead soon. ;)
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    icanplay3 wrote: »
    I wish I would've never announced that I'm starting the weight loss "journey" to my family/friends. They ALL have great advice for me. Don't eat carbs because they make you fat. Don't eat dessert because it makes you fat. Oh, you want to lose 100 pounds!? You will NEVER do that without doing EXTREME exercise! You will NEVER lose weight if you don't exercise. Then my best friend, who's also 100 lbs overweight, is on the "hcg diet" where she is consuming only about 500 cals per day, then is STARVING so she "cheats" on her diet every other day and isn't losing weight. I wonder why!? smh...I am not going to announce my weight loss plans to anyone ever again. Lesson learned. LOL

Trust me, it wouldn't have mattered. I never said a thing, and when it became obvious I had lost a bunch of weight, the questions started.

What was I doing? For how long? Did I exercise? Did I know that the only way to lose weight is to avoid X food or only eat at specific times of the day? Surely I couldn't possibly be eating that piece of pie on my diet? Etc, ad nauseum.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if they thought I had some kind of extreme lipo done since I couldn't possibly have lost weight doing the things I'd done and was still doing.

More than a year later, I still get those comments from the same people.

Trying to lose weight/get fit/get healthy is like having to live a double life or have a secret identity, I swear.

I actively avoid discussing my eating habits, my workouts, my gains/losses, because EVERYONE has some sort of opinion they want to talk at you.

Lets not even get into if you just want to lose a little excess weight if you're not extremely overweight or something. Then you have to get into the "Yes, I KNOW I'm not 'fat', I'm just trying to get in better shape NO I'm not commenting on your eating habits or calling YOU fat, oh god why are we now talking about YOUR weight I didn't even wanna talk about this in the first place NO thank you I don't really even like cupcakes honestly no SERIOUSLY it isn't because I'm trying to be 'so perfect' I just-"

I used to have co-workers asking me how I lost so much weight. My answer was always "I ate less and got up off the couch". Then they look at me as if I just cursed them.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I am sofaking glad I work from home! B)