Why Women Should Not Run (as their only means to lose)

Options

Replies

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I always love it when a man starts a thread about what women should and should not do.

The recommendation was an accurate one. Moderate cardio + moderate strength training. Why should his gender diminish the quality of his advice?

why should his advice only be directed at women?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I always love it when a man starts a thread about what women should and should not do.

And writes books about it.

DSC01159_thumb2.jpg
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

The recommendation was an accurate one. Moderate cardio + moderate strength training. Why should his gender diminish the quality of his advice?

why should his advice only be directed at women?

It's actually not. He specifies that his advice is beneficial to both genders, but that women are more likely to pursue excessive amounts of cardio than men, and that is why his advice is targeted at women.
  • RGv2
    Options
    also, tired of men telling me what i should be doing.

SERIOUSLY. No uterus, no opinion. :)

why-is-this-thread-back-again.jpg

And probably shouldn't go to male doctors or personal trainers then either.

difference being when I go to a male doctor or a male trainer, I have a personal relationship with them and they know me personally. Having a professional opinion based on a consensual relationship between two individuals is really different than one man saying "WOMEN SHOULD NOT DO X, Y, or Z"

Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

You mean I shouldn't go to the female Dr when my normal family Dr isn't available....OK, you're right.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

difference being when I go to a male doctor or a male trainer, I have a personal relationship with them and they know me personally. Having a professional opinion based on a consensual relationship between two individuals is really different than one man saying "WOMEN SHOULD NOT DO X, Y, or Z"

Women should avoid not doing what they don't want to not do.

*ducks*
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

And writes books about it.

DSC01159_thumb2.jpg

Read it cover to cover. Great book! Really helped me change my body composition over the last year or so.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

Did you really search for this thread just so you could declare moral superiority? One need not have a uterus to have knowledge of the female body. That I'm quite sure of.

admittedly, I didn't go much further than the topic title.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

Women should avoid not doing what they don't want to not do.

*ducks*

*Throws a duck!*

also, for the record, I found NROLFW to be completely useless. I did have the privilege of having a Taso to talk to instead.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

You mean I shouldn't go to the female Dr when my normal family Dr isn't available....OK, you're right.

You didn't get my point... when you see the female doctor, is she not looking at your chart? Are you not talking to her face to face? Is she not giving recommendations to you based on your information, your conversation with her?

That's not the same as some woman you don't even know saying to you "Men shouldn't do X"
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    oh *kitten*! In mentioning Taso, I totally admitted I will listen to a man tell me what to do!!!!!

I"M SUCH A HYPOCRITE!
  • RGv2
    Options

You didn't get my point... when you see the female doctor, is she not looking at your chart? Are you not talking to her face to face? Is she not giving recommendations to you based on your information, your conversation with her?

That's not the same as some woman you don't even know saying to you "Men shouldn't do X"
    difference being when I go to a male doctor or a male trainer, I have a personal relationship with them and they know me personally.

^^I guess I read this and understood it as, when you go to a male doctor or male trainer you have a personal relationship with them and they know you personally, not he's got my chart.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    oh *kitten*! In mentioning Taso, I totally admitted I will listen to a man tell me what to do!!!!!

I"M SUCH A HYPOCRITE!

:laugh: :laugh: :wink: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    But I have seen a few people on the ellipticals every time I'm there and I haven't seen much visual differences. This is over the course of 6-12 months. I think they should start lifting more and do less cardio for better results.

The problem here is that you don't know what these women are going outside of the gym. Perhaps they are eating their weight in potato chips and candy bars every night and that's why they aren't losing weight.

I agree that strength training is beneficial but there isn't anything wrong with lots of cardio if you have cardio related goals.

I agree, I've seen this with my sister. She'd run a lot but when she got home, she just ate like her normal self, eating everything in site. I have a friend the same way. Exercises but constantly eats and wonders why she never loses. I calculated my sisters food one day and she had eaten 4235 calories on one day where she went running that morning and burned a little more than 200 calories.

You just don't know what those people you keep seeing at the gym on a treadmill day after day and never see a change in body shape are eating.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

difference being when I go to a male doctor or a male trainer, I have a personal relationship with them and they know me personally.

^^I guess I read this and understood it as, when you go to a male doctor or male trainer you have a personal relationship with them and they know you personally, not he's got my chart.

well it's more than just your chart, right? Like you can talk to her face to face? Or at least on the phone. You have a chance to tell her about you, and ask her about her, right? There is that whole two way communication thing that is specifically about you as an individual. And there is also the whole if you don't like their advice, you hire a new trainer/doctor.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    But I have seen a few people on the ellipticals every time I'm there and I haven't seen much visual differences. This is over the course of 6-12 months. I think they should start lifting more and do less cardio for better results.

The problem here is that you don't know what these women are going outside of the gym. Perhaps they are eating their weight in potato chips and candy bars every night and that's why they aren't losing weight.

I agree that strength training is beneficial but there isn't anything wrong with lots of cardio if you have cardio related goals.

I agree, I've seen this with my sister. She'd run a lot but when she got home, she just ate like her normal self, eating everything in site. I have a friend the same way. Exercises but constantly eats and wonders why she never loses. I calculated my sisters food one day and she had eaten 4235 calories on one day where she went running that morning and burned a little more than 200 calories.

You just don't know what those people you keep seeing at the gym on a treadmill day after day and never see a change in body shape are eating.

well and to be fair, same goes for lifters. You can lift all you want, but if you aren't doing it right (including how to eat right) you won't see the changes you want. It's not like you step into the weight room three times a week and BOOM! Look like that girl in the article with the ripped muscles.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Unless the "better results" they're looking for are running longer and faster :bigsmile:

This is funny, because that is why I started running :laugh: I just started Couch to 5K because, for some reason, I've always wanted to be a runner and run races. Running is just something I enjoy, and I know it's not great for burning calories or weight loss. That's why I do other stuff at the gym. I run just because I want to improve my running and I enjoy it as a 'release' I suppose.
  • bevtyndall
    bevtyndall Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

I"M SUCH A HYPOCRITE!

:laugh: :laugh: :wink: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:

my problem isn't with men. It's just the weird random man saying what women in general ought to do. that's all.

I actually really really love men. I'm totally boy crazy and spend about 90% of my time thinking about boys. Usually specific ones. The philosophy major. The mechanic. The auto parts sales dude. Bob Marley, The drummer of my favorite band.

There's just so much yummies out there.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    While I truly want to enjoy this article, there really should have been a counterargument saying why running (or any cardio) works for some people and not for others. I'll admit I didn't have much to lose in the beginning, but cardio is the only way I've lost weight. The author should have included alternative ways to burn fat (That is, if I didn't miss that part of the article; in that case someone help a girl out!).
  • C12254
    C12254 Posts: 198
    Options
    Why is everyone so wrapped up in other peoples gym routine? Maybe they arent there for the same reasons you are. Maybe they just want to get out of the house and be active for an hour a day. Who cares? Focus on your goals unless they ask for your help and opinions!