Why Women Should Not Run (as their only means to lose)

Options

Replies

• Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I agree - partially. I've lost 26 pounds in 5 months running 4 x a week and doing yoga 1 x a week. I had the same routine for several years but didn't lose a pound unitl I started MFP and cut my food intake. That's the real reason why there are fat runners - they eat far more than any amount of cardio can offset. And if they're "saggy" it's because they're not smart enough to balance the cardio with any kind of strength training OR they've yo-yo dieted for so long or lost weight so quickly their skin no longer snaps back. And humans were PRECISELY designed to run. For every idiot out there who says it's "unnatural" there is voluminous data from anthropologists, sports physicians, and other scientists who all say the exact opposite.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    also, tired of men telling me what i should be doing.

^^^^ this

I love running, the calorie burn is fantastic and I love how it has changed my body....I just do weights once a week; I'd rather be outside in the countryside, breathing fresh air than in the gym breathing in sweaty body odours

So, women probably shouldn't see men doctors or trainers, right?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I completely disagree!!! I lost 90lbs doing nothing but cardio and watching what I ate. I can thank losing my *kitten* to my treadmill and walking and running every day for the last 18 months!

Lifting weights is great....for toning and strenghthening muscles. I started lifting weights when I got to the 90lb mark and I would suggest everyone lifts weights.

The article suggests combining cardio and weights.

I know what the article says but I am stating the point that I lost 90lbs doing all cardio! It worked for me so I don't want others to feel that they can't lost weight if they don't mix it all up with cardio and weights. You can.

But the article doesn't state that you can't lose weight doing strictly cardio. What it says is that you will lose muscle doing strictly cardio at a rate much greater than you will lose fat.

This is a fact.

Obese people generally have extra muscle because of the strain of carrying extra weight. But high intense cardio workouts will expend far more muscle than fat. That is a fact. Well-documented. You have decided to change gears now because you want a firmer body composition. I also did the same thing. I lost 75 lbs, but only 2 dress sizes doing strictly high-intensity cardio. When I incorporated the strength training, I only lost 20 lbs but I also lost another 4 dress sizes!

The point of this article is NOT losing weight. It's body recomposition and how some people (usually women) will continue the high-intensity cardio WITHOUT incorporating strength training and just end up a smaller size with a high percentage of body fat.

You obviously understood that at some point which is why you started lifting. People seem to be grabbing on to the snippet of sensationalism meant to grab attention and completely miss the point of the article in the first place.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    also, tired of men telling me what i should be doing.

Yeah, I'm with you on this. Gettin' real tired of yo ****, male "experts" on women's fitness.

QFT

Walking is my main exercise. I rarely lift weights anymore.

Yep. Women are fundamentally different than men. They really shouldn't be lifting heavy weights 'cause they'll break.

So you need to be the subject of your expertise for it to be legit? What about entomologists, wildlife biologists, botanist, etc? You can know about stuff without living it. It's called reading and research. There are male gynocologists out there, do you go around telling them they know nothing because they don't have their own vaginas?

Why..... yes. Yes I do.
    But purely for my own entertainment.

ETA: I want a bunneh
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    90% of the replies on here are missing the point of the article completely.

Though I did link to it on my wall a while ago, it's not very well written ---- at least in a way to not incite riot on the forums.

It speaks to people who cardio ONLY, and in LARGE quantities.

While it's not true for everyone (because everyone has their own ideal body), a HEAVY cardio only regimen isn't always the dream ticket to the hot bod some people think it is.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Also, you said that lifting is "great for toning". Toning is just fat loss/lowering of BF%.

Why isn't building muscle "toning"?
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    And I'm actually getting kind of tired of these self-proclaimed "experts" herein dictating how they think other people should diet and/or train. Everybody is different and every BODY is different. And, let's face it, what works for a man won't work for a woman. And, no offense, I quite frankly know of no woman personally who thinks chiseled gym rats who are so "buff" they can't even hold their own arms naturally are attractive. LOL.
  • DamoniqueW
    DamoniqueW Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I"m just here for the bunnies....

HA...Ditto!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Also, you said that lifting is "great for toning". Toning is just fat loss/lowering of BF%.

Probably because you can build muscle while at a calorie surplus and not look any more toned than before. But if you have a calorie deficit, you will "look" toned whether if you did any weight training or not.
  • RGv2
    Options

We're speaking in weightloss terms, correct.

Is someone trying to lose weight going to eat at a surplus to build muscle?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    And I'm actually getting kind of tired of these self-proclaimed "experts" herein dictating how they think other people should diet and/or train. Everybody is different and every BODY is different. And, let's face it, what works for a man won't work for a woman. And, no offense, I quite frankly know of no woman personally who thinks chiseled gym rats who are so "buff" they can't even hold their own arms naturally are attractive. LOL.

Oh joy! This thread was missing a little body-shaming. Kudos to you!

Actually, the kind of moderate strength training recommended by the article would not make you a chiseld gym rat so "buff" that you can't even hold up your arms. But way to go on making an ignorant generalization about other people's bodies!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Clueless poster is clueless
  • RGv2
    Options

Oh joy! This thread was missing a little body-shaming. Kudos to you!

Actually, the kind of moderate strength training recommended by the article would not make you a chiseld gym rat so "buff" that you can't even hold up your arms. But way to go on making an ignorant generalization about other people's bodies!

applauding.gif
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options

GTFO
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm a better walker anyway.
  • jinna86
    jinna86 Posts: 93
    Options
    If there's one thing I've learned from this it's.... bunnies! Bunnies everywhere!!! :happy:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

I work out "like a man," and it's worked very well for me. I'm thankful for the self-proclaimed "experts" offering advice and opinions that differed from my own, because without them, I'd be doing the same damn things I'd always done and gotten the same damn results I always got.

This is a forum. People are supposed to share information and opinions. If this site was just a bunch of people whining that they can't lose weight, I'd have jumped ship years ago.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Balanced Diet + Balanced Fitness Plan = Good Livin'

All cardio and no resistance training = stupid fitness plan; all lifting and no cardio = stupid fitness plan.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If there's one thing I've learned from this it's.... bunnies! Bunnies everywhere!!! :happy:

cardio bunnies....LOL
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    They just hatin cause us "buff" guys won't give them the time of day