Why Women Should Not Run (as their only means to lose)

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Is there a point with the funny pictures?

They are cardio bunnies. LOL! :laugh:
  • PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m960p43DtP1qzmhl9o1_500.gif
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Oh goody, OP. Why just have one thread about this when you can have two going at the same time? At least you have changed the tile of THIS thread so it in no way corresponds to the hyperbole of the article.

But the article is still fundamentally flawed by it's poor understanding of the science. Too large of a calorie deficit is responsible for changes in hormones, not too much cardio. How you get to the large deficit is irrelevant - be it running, lifting or simply not eating enough.

Should we educate people (men and women) on appropriate calorie intake and why too much steady state cardio may be detrimental to their goals? Yes. Should we keep spamming the same over the top anti-cardio BS? No!
  • PoopieMonster
    Options
    bunnybumpercarsftwgifs.gif
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I"m just here for the bunnies....

OMG.... I almost spit out my water!!

Hilarious....
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. I guess the fact that my last 10 lbs basically MELTED off when I started running was just my imagination? It most definitely worked for me.

Now I run for the stress relief (runners high) and for the heart-healthy benefits. Last week I read an article telling about how the hearts of lifelong distance runners who were in their 70s and 80s compared very favorably to those of healthy people in their 40s. That's reason enough for me to keep running.

I will say that once I finished losing and started reading more about fitness I added strength training to my regimen. This is to help me maintain muscle ( and weight loss) for the rest of my life. So I don't deny the benefits of lifting. And I will no longer run for the primary reason of burning calories to maintain my weight.

I do have to disagree with the OP's original premise that running will not help a person lose weight, though.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Oh goody, OP. Why just have one thread about this when you can have two going at the same time? At least you have changed the tile of THIS thread so it in no way corresponds to the hyperbole of the article.

But the article is still fundamentally flawed by it's poor understanding of the science. Too large of a calorie deficit is responsible for changes in hormones, not too much cardio. How you get to the large deficit is irrelevant - be it running, lifting or simply not eating enough.

Should we educate people (men and women) on appropriate calorie intake and why too much steady state cardio may be detrimental to their goals? Yes. Should we keep spamming the same over the top anti-cardio BS? No!

One reason for the change in thread title is to clarify the point of the article. Obviously it didn't work completely.

Is there a reason you choose to repeat the same point then? The article isn't anti cardio. Its trying to explain why someone might not be losing weight anymore despite the amount of cardio achieved.

Article's point. Too much cardio might not be the most effective way to lose weight. Might be detrimental to this goal.

If you want to discuss the dietary reasons for the same problem, then by all means post an article in the food / nutrition section
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    In for more bunny gifs. I keep spamming my husband with them.
  • PoopieMonster
    Options
    tumblr_m9wwjps8yN1qb63fco1_500.gif
  • PoopieMonster
    Options
    tumblr_met9ko19XH1qdlh1io1_250.gif
  • PoopieMonster
    Options
    kgw9y.gif
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m960p43DtP1qzmhl9o1_500.gif

a bunny...

...doing cardio.

:wink:
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options

QFT.

OP, isn't this your third thread regarding this topic?
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    *Wondering why a man would waste his time worrying about how a WOMAN should lose weight...*:noway:
  • PoopieMonster
    Options
    Fo3TP.gif
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    This is just like with new lifters. There is always an initial benefit to new activity, but as the body adjusts, the benefit decreases, and as in the case of the type of training described in the article, can become counter-productive.

In the long term, high-impact calorie burns changes the body's stored energy utilization, using stored fats for energy vs stored protein (muscle) as energy. This is highly documented. The author of the article emphasizes this well-known fact. Intense, high-impact cardio training at a deficit over the long-term is going to affect body composition negatively. That is the author's point.
  • fbranch7
    fbranch7 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I do both and am looking now to cut some cardio out and add more strength training in. Honestly, the biggest difference on my body was when I added pushups in to my routine in March.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Is there a point with the funny pictures?

Because this thread is useless and a complete waste of time without them!?

Hurray for bunnies!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

QFT.

OP, isn't this your third thread regarding this topic?

no