Why Women Should Not Run (as their only means to lose)

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    popcorn_2.gif

I've been waiting all day for a thread like this.

Did you bingo with it?

ETA:
    Wouldn't the topic be more accurate to say "people" instead of "women"?

ETAM:
    thanks for your unsolicited opinion

Time out. Did you just make an off-topic post complaining about another MFPer who provided his opinion on someone else's thread?

Maybe this thread does have potential...

ETAEM:
    also, tired of men telling me what i should be doing.

Yup...here we go.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Why does he only mention women, though? Doesn't this apply to both genders?

Yes, but generally speaking, men aren't afraid of lifting...women tend to shy away from resistance training and do **** tons of cardio. My wife is actually the only woman I personally know who actually lifts weights...all of mine and her female friends can spend hours droning away on cardio machines, which if nothing else, has to be incredibly ****ing boring.
  • AngelsWearingKneeHighs
    Options

Yeah, I'm with you on this. Gettin' real tired of yo ****, male "experts" on women's fitness.

Uhmm. Fitness is the same for everyone.
    You dissing male "experts" who talk about "women' fitness" does not benefit you or any woman in any way.
    It just helps spreading the false belief that women are some kind of special, gentle, easily hurt creatures who should train differently.

She bites...watch out.
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I run because I like running. It helps with the weight loss, but that's not my only reason for running. I still want to lose 30-35 pounds, so yes I will still do as much cardio as I want. I also include some type of strength training. It may not necessarily be lifting heavy barbells or dumbbells in the gym, but I always have some challenging resistance training in there, because I like a well balanced workout routine. My utmost concern is that my routine is enjoyable. The gym bores the s#*t out of me.

The article beats a dead horse, in my opinion.

So you agree with the article. Good to read about your great results and to recognize the benefits of a varied fitness program :flowerforyou:

Depends. If the article is giving reasons FOR WHICH women should not be running, then yes I agree that the reasons the author lists are not good reasons to run frequently.

However, I think some people here are interpreting the article as "women should not run, and this is why."
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm with you on this. Gettin' real tired of yo ****, male "experts" on women's fitness.

Uhmm. Fitness is the same for everyone.
    You dissing male "experts" who talk about "women' fitness" does not benefit you or any woman in any way.
    It just helps spreading the false belief that women are some kind of special, gentle, easily hurt creatures who should train differently.

But, but, but.

I loved my cardio-only jelly-butt.

Really.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

QFT

Walking is my main exercise. I rarely lift weights anymore.

Yep. Women are fundamentally different than men. They really shouldn't be lifting heavy weights 'cause they'll break.

savvy manufacturers who understand the fundamental differences between men and women have gone so far as to produce special pink colored weights just for women.

At my gym, when we shadow box with weights, the pink ones are for women (1lb), the blue ones are for men (3lbs), and the purple ones are for lesbians (2 lbs). Kid you not.
  • PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mln7ytuBWD1qz4rgp.gif
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    This article sounds like someone's unqualified opinion. The standard advice, for everyone, is to do cardio and strength training, and that one out of two is better than nothing at all.
  • PoopieMonster
    Options
    tumblr_mki2ysUEhE1s7osa6o1_400.gif
  • PoopieMonster
    Options
    tumblr_mgzv15aNMo1regdu0o1_500.gif
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

QFT

Walking is my main exercise. I rarely lift weights anymore.

Totally sexist. Fitness experts are fitness experts, regardless of gender.

No, it's only sexism if women are on the short end. Did you fail your women's studies classes?

Also, where's my sammich?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I run because I like running. It helps with the weight loss, but that's not my only reason for running. I still want to lose 30-35 pounds, so yes I will still do as much cardio as I want. I also include some type of strength training. It may not necessarily be lifting heavy barbells or dumbbells in the gym, but I always have some challenging resistance training in there, because I like a well balanced workout routine. My utmost concern is that my routine is enjoyable. The gym bores the s#*t out of me.

The article beats a dead horse, in my opinion.

So you agree with the article. Good to read about your great results and to recognize the benefits of a varied fitness program :flowerforyou:

Depends. If the article is giving reasons FOR WHICH women should not be running, then yes I agree that the reasons the author lists are not good reasons to run frequently.

However, I think some people here are interpreting the article as "women should not run, and this is why."

I read the article and it's implying that doing a lot of steady state cardio with no lifting might not be the best path for weight loss.

If there were more reasons that you got out of it, mention them.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I run, I think my ticker shows that it works. I don't lift.
  • PoopieMonster
    Options
    tumblr_mkbxcsi7YC1s9zd94o1_500.gif
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    popcorn_2.gif

I've been waiting all day for a thread like this.

Did you bingo with it?

Work was getting boring, and I had 1:45 in the "new cardio vs weights thread" time.
  • PoopieMonster
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mi8maoZsJV1qz4rgp.gif
  • LePetitCochon
    Options
    tumblr_m3pmdaPJgg1qgksvxo1_500.gif

:love:
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    This article sounds like someone's unqualified opinion. The standard advice, for everyone, is to do cardio and strength training, and that one out of two is better than nothing at all.

If the goal is weight loss and if it's the ONLY goal, it might be time better served by closely regulating your diet to a reasonable weight loss schedule. If the point is cardiovascular health, then you are correct. But it's my opinion that the article is concentrating on cardio as it pertains to weight loss.
  • PoopieMonster
    Options
    tumblr_mhuotoqEet1qd91qvo1_500.gif
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    i lost 100 pounds running (and doing pushup and situps) now i just run just for the love of it.
    I guess you can say i didnt lose all that weight by JUST running but it was part of a bigger picture.

now i run just cause i love it.