Why Women Should Not Run (as their only means to lose)

Options

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    also, tired of men telling me what i should be doing.

Yeah, I'm with you on this. Gettin' real tired of yo ****, male "experts" on women's fitness.

how dare they! how dare they!! it's those uppity y chromosomes i bet!!! :angry:

pitchforks.jpg
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm with you on this. Gettin' real tired of yo ****, male "experts" on women's fitness.

QFT

Walking is my main exercise. I rarely lift weights anymore.

Yep. Women are fundamentally different than men. They really shouldn't be lifting heavy weights 'cause they'll break.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

QFT

The article also states that the author is not referring to low-impact cardio and specifies walking as not being the type of cardio he is referring to.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

As a feminist, I tend to agree with you. However, I see nothing wrong with an article pointing out the SCIENCE behind running and weight loss, and advising women to stop doing so much excessive cardio. This article has tons of useful information, and like it or not, the fact is that a lot of women COULD benefit from reading it and changing up their routine.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Disagree. Cardio is great for leaning out. Just look at marathon runners. You just have to do a **** ton of it and resist the strong increase in appetite it's going to give you. I used to run 7-10 miles every day for years and years, and I was skinny as hell (and not the least bit flabby), but I was SUPER hungry all the time, and sick a lot.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

QFT

Yep. Women are fundamentally different than men. They really shouldn't be lifting heavy weights 'cause they'll break.

<
    My uterus fell out.
  • AngelsWearingKneeHighs
    Options

QFT

Lmfao :flowerforyou:
  • AngelsWearingKneeHighs
    Options

QFT

<
    My uterus fell out.

Ok that one made my stomach hurt, i cant breathe this thread is great.
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options

QFT

So you need to be the subject of your expertise for it to be legit? What about entomologists, wildlife biologists, botanist, etc? You can know about stuff without living it. It's called reading and research. There are male gynocologists out there, do you go around telling them they know nothing because they don't have their own vaginas?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    "I won’t name names, but I’ve seen amazing displays of gluttony from some small, trim women. Entire pizzas disappear, leaving only the flotsam of toppings that fell during the feeding frenzy. Appetizers, meals, cocktails and desserts—4000 calories worth—vanish at the Cheesecake Factory. There are no leftovers, and there are no crumbs. Some women catch this in time and stop the devastation, but others quickly swell, realizing that this supposed off-season look has become their every-season look.
    And guess what they do to fix it? Double sessions of cardio."

It's sections like this that make this article not even worth reading. It assumes that those women running on the treadmill are doing so because they just gorged themselves the day before on thousands of calories worth of food and now they're trying to make up for it. Maybe they are actually working toward fitness goals like a faster PR time or longer distance, etc. And not all people who run are miserable and hate their life while running lol.

I'm one of those people- training for a half marathon in September. Am I miserable? No. Do I order extra cheese on my double cheeseburger at Red Robin and then expect to run 7 miles the next day and melt the fat off? No. I also weight train. I think putting a blanket statement on women who run and the reasons they do so is ignorant and a tasteless way to present your argument.

The article also has an extremely sarcastic tone aimed at those who participate in running events such as charity 5k's, team relays, etc. Have you really ever seen an obese marathon runner? Running is not making these people fat. Running never MADE anyone fat. It's an illogical argument.

To say that running isn't the best form of exercise to lose weight could be correct and I wouldn't argue that. Weight training is important, I think everyone on this site can agree. But to argue that running actually causes weight gain and obesity is ridiculous. This article left a bad taste in my mouth the first time I read it.

Being able to run a marathon isn't necessarily connected to weight. I know people that are actually considered overweight that have completed marathons. Oprah comes to mind.

I'll read the article again but I didn't see obesity mentioned in there.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Disagree. Cardio is great for leaning out. Just look at marathon runners. You just have to do a **** ton of it and resist the strong increase in appetite it's going to give you. I used to run 7-10 miles every day for years and years, and I was skinny as hell (and not the least bit flabby), but I was SUPER hungry all the time, and sick a lot.

Were you obese before you started this regimen?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

QFT

Totally sexist. Fitness experts are fitness experts, regardless of gender.
  • AngelsWearingKneeHighs
    Options

QFT

So you need to be the subject of your expertise for it to be legit? What about entomologists, wildlife biologists, botanist, etc? You can know about stuff without living it. It's called reading and research. There are male gynocologists out there, do you go around telling them they know nothing because they don't have their own vaginas?

Sometimes, usually only when he is done and im like "thats it? Your wifes cheating on you just an fyi!"
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I run because I like running. It helps with the weight loss, but that's not my only reason for running. I still want to lose 30-35 pounds, so yes I will still do as much cardio as I want. I also include some type of strength training. It may not necessarily be lifting heavy barbells or dumbbells in the gym, but I always have some challenging resistance training in there, because I like a well balanced workout routine. My utmost concern is that my routine is enjoyable. The gym bores the s#*t out of me.

The article beats a dead horse, in my opinion.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

QFT

INORITE? I freakin HATE it when the women break all the weights.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I run because I like running. It helps with the weight loss, but that's not my only reason for running. I still want to lose 30-35 pounds, so yes I will still do as much cardio as I want. I also include some type of strength training. It may not necessarily be lifting heavy barbells or dumbbells in the gym, but I always have some challenging resistance training in there, because I like a well balanced workout routine. My utmost concern is that my routine is enjoyable. The gym bores the s#*t out of me.

The article beats a dead horse, in my opinion.

So you agree with the article. Good to read about your great results and to recognize the benefits of a varied fitness program :flowerforyou:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

QFT

savvy manufacturers who understand the fundamental differences between men and women have gone so far as to produce special pink colored weights just for women.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options

Uhmm. Fitness is the same for everyone.
    You dissing male "experts" who talk about "women' fitness" does not benefit you or any woman in any way.
    It just helps spreading the false belief that women are some kind of special, gentle, easily hurt creatures who should train differently.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

QFT

INORITE? I freakin HATE it when the women break all the weights.

Stop dropping 'em. They're fragile!!!!! :sad: