Why Women Should Not Run (as their only means to lose)

Options

Replies

• clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Naaah
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Is there a point with the funny pictures?

Because this thread is useless and a complete waste of time without them!?

Hurray for bunnies!

It is? How?
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    In for the bunny gifs!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I run because I like running. It helps with the weight loss, but that's not my only reason for running. I still want to lose 30-35 pounds, so yes I will still do as much cardio as I want. I also include some type of strength training. It may not necessarily be lifting heavy barbells or dumbbells in the gym, but I always have some challenging resistance training in there, because I like a well balanced workout routine. My utmost concern is that my routine is enjoyable. The gym bores the s#*t out of me.

The article beats a dead horse, in my opinion.

So you agree with the article. Good to read about your great results and to recognize the benefits of a varied fitness program :flowerforyou:

Depends. If the article is giving reasons FOR WHICH women should not be running, then yes I agree that the reasons the author lists are not good reasons to run frequently.

However, I think some people here are interpreting the article as "women should not run, and this is why."

Honestly, I always find myself irritated in these discussions. I want to jump up and down and scream at people only doing cardio without strength training. I have too many male friends that do this and several can't do 10 pushups and look like crap. They're awesome runners though and I love running. On the other hand, as I said, I love running and I like the way it affects my energy levels and resting heart rate. My advice is to do both and keep both reasonably short.

Unless, of course, their chosen goal is to compete (or better themselves) at longer distances (which is totally fine, at least with me)...

...and then they should run longer (and accept the diminishing impact on their overall health).

Of course. That is obvious I think and I agree with it, but I hear the weight loss discussions all the time from friends who regularly run marathons. Comments like, "I'm hoping if I run [insert figure of 50+ miles a week] then I won't have to worry about what I eat and I'll finally get that six pack." One or two finally started strength training and it made a huge difference. They still run marathons because they love them and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Not to mention I'd love to have their resting heart rates.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Humans were not meant to run kind distances every day,it's too tough on the joints for both men and women
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I run because I like running. It helps with the weight loss, but that's not my only reason for running. I still want to lose 30-35 pounds, so yes I will still do as much cardio as I want. I also include some type of strength training. It may not necessarily be lifting heavy barbells or dumbbells in the gym, but I always have some challenging resistance training in there, because I like a well balanced workout routine. My utmost concern is that my routine is enjoyable. The gym bores the s#*t out of me.

The article beats a dead horse, in my opinion.

So you agree with the article. Good to read about your great results and to recognize the benefits of a varied fitness program :flowerforyou:

Depends. If the article is giving reasons FOR WHICH women should not be running, then yes I agree that the reasons the author lists are not good reasons to run frequently.

However, I think some people here are interpreting the article as "women should not run, and this is why."

Honestly, I always find myself irritated in these discussions. I want to jump up and down and scream at people only doing cardio without strength training. I have too many male friends that do this and several can't do 10 pushups and look like crap. They're awesome runners though and I love running. On the other hand, as I said, I love running and I like the way it affects my energy levels and resting heart rate. My advice is to do both and keep both reasonably short.

Unless, of course, their chosen goal is to compete (or better themselves) at longer distances (which is totally fine, at least with me)...

...and then they should run longer (and accept the diminishing impact on their overall health).

The article defines the goal as weight loss.

Sorry. I was pursuing a branch offered by the post to which I was responding where he suggested one should "keep both reasonably short".

One could say I was guilty of chasing bunnies...

I will now return to discussing only the initial OP...

...with the external link...

...that I did not click through to read.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m3pmdaPJgg1qgksvxo1_500.gif

:flowerforyou:
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    also, tired of men telling me what i should be doing.

Yeah, I'm with you on this. Gettin' real tired of yo ****, male "experts" on women's fitness.

WTF? My veterinarian isn't even a dog. I'm going to start looking for one that is. Good thinking.

i recommend Dr. Spot.

493946_Chocolate-lab-in-surgeon-coat.jpg

Wrong breed. That retriever isn't working on my Bernese Mountain Dog.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I do elliptical (and I do a stairclimb up our city's tallest building every year, lift heavy and yoga. My BMI is 21.

I think it takes a mix. For me, the "core" is weight training cause muscle "burns fat" even when I'm at rest, but my heart /lungs benefit from high velocity elliptical. The yoga is to stay limber.

Most of the runners I know are not running to lose weight, they run to stay fit (they are usually fit to begin with) and for stress release.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I run. I run a lot. But I don't run to lose. I run because it's AWESOME.

P.S. I've been a runner for decades and lifted weights for years, and I've never had anything but good come of it. I have a fitter, healthier, and stronger body than most people half my age.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    4tYWAea.gif

cardio bunneh haz a tyrd.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Humans were not meant to run kind distances every day,it's too tough on the joints for both men and women

:noway:

Pray tell, what exactly were humans MEANT to do. Life is tough on joints.
  • PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-10299-1357421821-1.gif
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I run. I run a lot. But I don't run to lose. I run because it's AWESOME.

P.S. I've been a runner for decades and lifted weights for years, and I've never had anything but good come of it. I have a fitter, healthier, and stronger body than most people half my age.

Right on!
  • PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-13870-1357421910-0.gif
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Another good point. This is my biggest reason for NOT running. But I do walk. But as previously mentioned, the article isn't talking about low-impact cardio.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Oh goody, OP. Why just have one thread about this when you can have two going at the same time? At least you have changed the tile of THIS thread so it in no way corresponds to the hyperbole of the article.

But the article is still fundamentally flawed by it's poor understanding of the science. Too large of a calorie deficit is responsible for changes in hormones, not too much cardio. How you get to the large deficit is irrelevant - be it running, lifting or simply not eating enough.

Should we educate people (men and women) on appropriate calorie intake and why too much steady state cardio may be detrimental to their goals? Yes. Should we keep spamming the same over the top anti-cardio BS? No!

QFT.

OP, isn't this your third thread regarding this topic?

Someone sounds like a stalker :wink:
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

This.
    also, the advice about lifting vs. cardio applies to both genders.

and don't spout some **** about women this or women that to defend yourself because last I checked, not all women are the same.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

This.
    also, the advice about lifting vs. cardio applies to both genders.

and don't spout some **** about women this or women that to defend yourself because last I checked, not all women are the same.

Did you read the article? The author says that the effect he is referring to impacts both genders, but that women tend to fall in this trap more often than men. It was a good read. Why stop at the title?
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Running makes my legs look fabulous!!!!!! And it wont make me hungry. Why is it that whenever I lift weights I feel like I can never get enough to eat? Lifting makes me hungry all day!!!