Why Women Should Not Run (as their only means to lose)

Options

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    also, tired of men telling me what i should be doing.

This.
    also, the advice about lifting vs. cardio applies to both genders.

and don't spout some **** about women this or women that to defend yourself because last I checked, not all women are the same.

It most certainly does pertain to both. But I think this particular problem might be more common with women.
  • PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    1276201232_bunny-humps-balloon.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I run because I like running. It helps with the weight loss, but that's not my only reason for running. I still want to lose 30-35 pounds, so yes I will still do as much cardio as I want. I also include some type of strength training. It may not necessarily be lifting heavy barbells or dumbbells in the gym, but I always have some challenging resistance training in there, because I like a well balanced workout routine. My utmost concern is that my routine is enjoyable. The gym bores the s#*t out of me.

The article beats a dead horse, in my opinion.

So you agree with the article. Good to read about your great results and to recognize the benefits of a varied fitness program :flowerforyou:

Depends. If the article is giving reasons FOR WHICH women should not be running, then yes I agree that the reasons the author lists are not good reasons to run frequently.

However, I think some people here are interpreting the article as "women should not run, and this is why."

Honestly, I always find myself irritated in these discussions. I want to jump up and down and scream at people only doing cardio without strength training. I have too many male friends that do this and several can't do 10 pushups and look like crap. They're awesome runners though and I love running. On the other hand, as I said, I love running and I like the way it affects my energy levels and resting heart rate. My advice is to do both and keep both reasonably short.

Unless, of course, their chosen goal is to compete (or better themselves) at longer distances (which is totally fine, at least with me)...

...and then they should run longer (and accept the diminishing impact on their overall health).

Of course. That is obvious I think and I agree with it, but I hear the weight loss discussions all the time from friends who regularly run marathons. Comments like, "I'm hoping if I run [insert figure of 50+ miles a week] then I won't have to worry about what I eat and I'll finally get that six pack." One or two finally started strength training and it made a huge difference. They still run marathons because they love them and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Not to mention I'd love to have their resting heart rates.

Fair point. I was simply alluding to the fact that there is a point of diminishing returns with increased mileage, and then negative returns. This differs for each person, and even differs over time for any one person, but is there nonetheless. I think many people fall into this "if some is good, then more is better" mentality of running (and fitness in general).

But as was pointed out earlier, it was too far from the OP for OPer's liking so I have stopped all discussions on this errant bunny/red herring/wild goose chase.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    1276201232_bunny-humps-balloon.gif

That's my favorite bunny gif EVER!! LOL!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    tumblr_me8ug12pHZ1qaesp7o1_400.gif
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options

Yeah, I'm with you on this. Gettin' real tired of yo ****, male "experts" on women's fitness.

QFT

Walking is my main exercise. I rarely lift weights anymore.

Yep. Women are fundamentally different than men. They really shouldn't be lifting heavy weights 'cause they'll break.

Very true, we are delicate flowers, fine bone china, century's old books....... yadda yadda yadda..

But strong enough to kick men in the nuts and not break :flowerforyou:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    bunny-gif-21.gif
  • DancingDreams1234
    Options
    I feel like it's important to have a combination of different exercise to challenge your body and use your muscles in a different way.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I didn't even click on it..
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

Fair point. I was simply alluding to the fact that there is a point of diminishing returns with increased mileage, and then negative returns. This differs for each person, and even differs over time for any one person, but is there nonetheless. I think many people fall into this "if some is good, then more is better" mentality of running (and fitness in general).

But as was pointed out earlier, it was too far from the OP for OPer's liking so I have stopped all discussions on this errant bunny/red herring/wild goose chase.

Actually I don't think that's the case. That is a fair point.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    This is why I am going back to the gym. I considered sticking to running for my workouts after my membership expired. But not only does it get boring, I just don't "trust" it. I liked the progress I made when I was lifting about 3x/week. But I have lost weight in the past during strictly cardio. Personally, I'd rather spend less time exercising and still get great results. And then there are the benefits of burning more calories from muscle building...it's a no brainer.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Awww...there, there. :flowerforyou:

There_there_robot.gif
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    But I have seen a few people on the ellipticals every time I'm there and I haven't seen much visual differences. This is over the course of 6-12 months. I think they should start lifting more and do less cardio for better results.

The problem here is that you don't know what these women are going outside of the gym. Perhaps they are eating their weight in potato chips and candy bars every night and that's why they aren't losing weight.

I agree that strength training is beneficial but there isn't anything wrong with lots of cardio if you have cardio related goals.

Yup! I was one of those people. On the elliptical every day then eating pizza, ice cream, chips, etc. at home. Now I eat right and do cardio five times a week. I've lost almost 50 pounds and have not touched a weight. I wanted to get a good routine established before I started branching out.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Humans were not meant to run kind distances every day,it's too tough on the joints for both men and women
    Human beings were also not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    QFT?

Vas ist das?

Great article-- women are generally too sensitive. And why would any woman care WHO shares wisdom? Feminist dopes, I swear.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm with you on this. Gettin' real tired of yo ****, male "experts" on women's fitness.

QFT

Walking is my main exercise. I rarely lift weights anymore.

Yep. Women are fundamentally different than men. They really shouldn't be lifting heavy weights 'cause they'll break.

Very true, we are delicate flowers, fine bone china, century's old books....... yadda yadda yadda..

But strong enough to kick men in the nuts and not break :flowerforyou:

Here's to hoping you speak sarcasm . . .
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I run because I like running. It helps with the weight loss, but that's not my only reason for running. I still want to lose 30-35 pounds, so yes I will still do as much cardio as I want. I also include some type of strength training. It may not necessarily be lifting heavy barbells or dumbbells in the gym, but I always have some challenging resistance training in there, because I like a well balanced workout routine. My utmost concern is that my routine is enjoyable. The gym bores the s#*t out of me.

The article beats a dead horse, in my opinion.

So you agree with the article. Good to read about your great results and to recognize the benefits of a varied fitness program :flowerforyou:

Depends. If the article is giving reasons FOR WHICH women should not be running, then yes I agree that the reasons the author lists are not good reasons to run frequently.

However, I think some people here are interpreting the article as "women should not run, and this is why."

Honestly, I always find myself irritated in these discussions. I want to jump up and down and scream at people only doing cardio without strength training. I have too many male friends that do this and several can't do 10 pushups and look like crap. They're awesome runners though and I love running. On the other hand, as I said, I love running and I like the way it affects my energy levels and resting heart rate. My advice is to do both and keep both reasonably short.

Unless, of course, their chosen goal is to compete (or better themselves) at longer distances (which is totally fine, at least with me)...

...and then they should run longer (and accept the diminishing impact on their overall health).

Of course. That is obvious I think and I agree with it, but I hear the weight loss discussions all the time from friends who regularly run marathons. Comments like, "I'm hoping if I run [insert figure of 50+ miles a week] then I won't have to worry about what I eat and I'll finally get that six pack." One or two finally started strength training and it made a huge difference. They still run marathons because they love them and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Not to mention I'd love to have their resting heart rates.

Agreed. Though the thread I started to discuss the mere possibility of negative returns didn't go over so well . . .
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Human beings were also not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements.

I'm motivated to work just hard enough not to get fired.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Total tripe; I guess I'm fat and getting fatter? B/c I run 15-30 miles a week..but not on a dreadmill...outside where I get some air.

And I despise team sports; that is not an alternative for me. I don't belong to a gym, have a team of friends to go play soccer, volley ball, etc nor do I care to. I enjoy running, swimming, hiking, biking and I am UN-convinced any of those things will make me "fat"...sorry not buying that load of BS.

Oh, but I don't just "cardio" all the time; I weight train (circuit with plyometrics..but I suppose he'll say I'm going to get fat and slow my metabolism from that too?) and I don't shovel 4000 calories worth of food into my gullet during a day let alone a meal.

Maybe I'm missing the point to the article?
  • Bean515
    Bean515 Posts: 97
    Options
    I think I love bunnies now.