Why Women Should Not Run (as their only means to lose)

Options

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    also, tired of men telling me what i should be doing.

Yeah, I'm with you on this. Gettin' real tired of yo ****, male "experts" on women's fitness.

WTF? My veterinarian isn't even a dog. I'm going to start looking for one that is. Good thinking.
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical, I also love lifting weights, I did experiment for myself which caused more results or quicker results and for me personally, they were the same.

Right now, swimming is my thing and the results are awesome and I feel less worn out but I can feel it in almost all of my muscles.

For losing weight, it really doesn't matter how much you exercise if you're not burning more than you're consuming.
  • PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m4x0rbpYXz1qk6ohao1_250.gif
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly! Cardio is certainly useful but it's not the be all and end all.

Unless you're actually training for an cardio endurance based event (such as a marathon) because that's actually what you enjoy, there's a lot better ways to be spending your time. Combining a good lifting program with some CV activity however, awesome results!
  • PoopieMonster
    Options
    tumblr_mn1zp2ClPY1r7okzdo1_400.gif
  • PoopieMonster
    Options
    chasing-each-others-tails.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    popcorn_2.gif

I've been waiting all day for a thread like this.

Did you bingo with it?

Work was getting boring, and I had 1:45 in the "new cardio vs weights thread" time.

Good call. I had it much later than that...am still stuck in the past when this topic only recycled every 5-6 days. This recent batch of repeat posters are really messing up the predictors.
  • PoopieMonster
    Options
    cute-bunny-walk.gif
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Is there a point with the funny pictures?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I run because I like running. It helps with the weight loss, but that's not my only reason for running. I still want to lose 30-35 pounds, so yes I will still do as much cardio as I want. I also include some type of strength training. It may not necessarily be lifting heavy barbells or dumbbells in the gym, but I always have some challenging resistance training in there, because I like a well balanced workout routine. My utmost concern is that my routine is enjoyable. The gym bores the s#*t out of me.

The article beats a dead horse, in my opinion.

So you agree with the article. Good to read about your great results and to recognize the benefits of a varied fitness program :flowerforyou:

Depends. If the article is giving reasons FOR WHICH women should not be running, then yes I agree that the reasons the author lists are not good reasons to run frequently.

However, I think some people here are interpreting the article as "women should not run, and this is why."

Honestly, I always find myself irritated in these discussions. I want to jump up and down and scream at people only doing cardio without strength training. I have too many male friends that do this and several can't do 10 pushups and look like crap. They're awesome runners though and I love running. On the other hand, as I said, I love running and I like the way it affects my energy levels and resting heart rate. My advice is to do both and keep both reasonably short.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m4x0rbpYXz1qk6ohao1_250.gif

bunnehs!!!!!!!!!
  • PoopieMonster
    Options
    tumblr_lq8ktkI1jl1qcn3jyo1_500.gif
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Can't we all just agree that as much as we need a well balanced diet we also need a well balanced fitness routine and stop talking about it? I know plenty of people who have lost over 100lbs doing just cardio - so it does work for some. If it works for you go for it. If not try something new. And really - I don't think much people on here need to be told that.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Yeah, I'm with you on this. Gettin' real tired of yo ****, male "experts" on women's fitness.

WTF? My veterinarian isn't even a dog. I'm going to start looking for one that is. Good thinking.

LOL discrediting someone's expertise based on their gender...

...under the impression that this somehow empowers women.

(Pro tip: It doesn't...and if you think it through to its logical conclusion, you'll see the hypocrisy in the position.)
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

i recommend Dr. Spot.

493946_Chocolate-lab-in-surgeon-coat.jpg
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Can't we all just agree that as much as we need a well balanced diet we also need a well balanced fitness routine and stop talking about it? I know plenty of people who have lost over 100lbs doing just cardio - so it does work for some. If it works for you go for it. If not try something new. And really - I don't think much people on here need to be told that.

For every article like this trying to tell everyone the importance of weight lifting, I see a post about not wanting to lift because of the fear of becoming too bulky
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I run because I like running. It helps with the weight loss, but that's not my only reason for running. I still want to lose 30-35 pounds, so yes I will still do as much cardio as I want. I also include some type of strength training. It may not necessarily be lifting heavy barbells or dumbbells in the gym, but I always have some challenging resistance training in there, because I like a well balanced workout routine. My utmost concern is that my routine is enjoyable. The gym bores the s#*t out of me.

So you agree with the article. Good to read about your great results and to recognize the benefits of a varied fitness program :flowerforyou:

Depends. If the article is giving reasons FOR WHICH women should not be running, then yes I agree that the reasons the author lists are not good reasons to run frequently.

However, I think some people here are interpreting the article as "women should not run, and this is why."

Honestly, I always find myself irritated in these discussions. I want to jump up and down and scream at people only doing cardio without strength training. I have too many male friends that do this and several can't do 10 pushups and look like crap. They're awesome runners though and I love running. On the other hand, as I said, I love running and I like the way it affects my energy levels and resting heart rate. My advice is to do both and keep both reasonably short.

Unless, of course, their chosen goal is to compete (or better themselves) at longer distances (which is totally fine, at least with me)...

...and then they should run longer (and accept the diminishing impact on their overall health).
  • PoopieMonster
    Options
    tumblr_meryc7JT6f1rle8elo3_250.gif
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I"m just here for the bunnies....
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Unless, of course, their chosen goal is to compete (or better themselves) at longer distances (which is totally fine, at least with me)...

...and then they should run longer (and accept the diminishing impact on their overall health).

The article defines the goal as weight loss.