Sugar free detox

Options

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I did a juice "Detox" once where all you drink are these premade fresh juices for three day. They are comprised of real fruits and veggies, not one of those OTC or GNC juice detoxes. The one I ordered was from Squeezed Online. It was supposed to alleviate your food addictions (mine is sugar). I felt great after the detox, like some one had hit the reset button, but it didn't last more than a few months before I slowly started cycling artificial sugar back into my diet. This time around I'm just going to try every day to have less sugar than the previous day.

Addressing a "sugar addiction" by drinking only juice makes no sense. A juice fast is full of sugar.

It makes complete sense as long as you buy into hype over logic.
    When I want to look like either of you, then perhaps I'll take your trolling advice.
    The OP asked a question, I responded with my experience which obviously you didn't read in its entirety. Anywho, I enjoyed the juices, I bought a juicer to make my own, and I would recommend it. If you don't subscribe to that notion, more power to you. There are more than one ways to meet your fitness goals and the method I like may not be the one you like. Either way I'm happy with my body, just as I'm sure you're happy with yours. So since we've established that I feel there is nothing more to discuss. Have a great day!

You have no chance of looking as good physically or intellectually as I do. Your attempted insult is laughable. Your posts are based on drivel, not fact. If post based on fallacies and failed insults are all you have to offer, then you offer nothing of value.

You haven't addressed the very simple fact that you demonize sugar from one source, yet canonize the exact same compound from elsewhere ... it is a contradictory position.

LOL ok.
    I say I want to eat less cake, and 30 random strangers jump down my throat telling me I'll die without cake.
    You can use whatever Google search you'd like to justify being a complete DB, but the fact still remains.
    I feel like I've said all that needs to be said and you obviously understand the point I'm making, but the fact that you're just an internet troll will not allow you to admit this. It's sad that people who are probably very lovely face to face can be such jerks online just because they're unhappy with themselves.
    Oh well.
    I'm going to stick with my goal to eat less junk food. Good luck on your goals.

Who said you'd die without cake? People are just saying that you consumed plenty of sugar with your juice cleanse, so sugar likely wasn't your problem.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I did a juice "Detox" once where all you drink are these premade fresh juices for three day. They are comprised of real fruits and veggies, not one of those OTC or GNC juice detoxes. The one I ordered was from Squeezed Online. It was supposed to alleviate your food addictions (mine is sugar). I felt great after the detox, like some one had hit the reset button, but it didn't last more than a few months before I slowly started cycling artificial sugar back into my diet. This time around I'm just going to try every day to have less sugar than the previous day.

Addressing a "sugar addiction" by drinking only juice makes no sense. A juice fast is full of sugar.

When I want to look like either of you, then perhaps I'll take your trolling advice.
    The OP asked a question, I responded with my experience which obviously you didn't read in its entirety. Anywho, I enjoyed the juices, I bought a juicer to make my own, and I would recommend it. If you don't subscribe to that notion, more power to you. There are more than one ways to meet your fitness goals and the method I like may not be the one you like. Either way I'm happy with my body, just as I'm sure you're happy with yours. So since we've established that I feel there is nothing more to discuss. Have a great day!

You have no chance of looking as good physically or intellectually as I do. Your attempted insult is laughable. Your posts are based on drivel, not fact. If post based on fallacies and failed insults are all you have to offer, then you offer nothing of value.

You haven't addressed the very simple fact that you demonize sugar from one source, yet canonize the exact same compound from elsewhere ... it is a contradictory position.

LOL ok.
    I say I want to eat less cake, and 30 random strangers jump down my throat telling me I'll die without cake.
    You can use whatever Google search you'd like to justify being a complete DB, but the fact still remains.
    I feel like I've said all that needs to be said and you obviously understand the point I'm making, but the fact that you're just an internet troll will not allow you to admit this. It's sad that people who are probably very lovely face to face can be such jerks online just because they're unhappy with themselves.
    Oh well.

Nobody said that. You continue with the posts based on fallacies ... this time making up what people say so you can then argue against what you projected. You keep accompanying the fallacies and strawman arguments with attempted insults ... then laughably claim others are unhappy with themselves.

The point you keep making is flawed. You keep trying to differentiate between sugars based on your biases, not what the sugars actually are. Glucose, fructose, or sucrose in a candy bar is identical to the same compound in fruit ... there isn't a difference.

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

There is more than one way to meet your goals, but there isn't more than one set of facts.
    Take it how you want it, but I feel better when I eat less candy bars and cake. I find it humorous that you are so much of a troll that you would find something to argue about in that statement. You'd think all that junk food you're advocating would make you just a little sweeter on the inside, I guess not. :neutral:
    So like I've said over and over and over, my goal is to eat less of this stuff. Why you have such an issue with my personal fitness goals, I have no idea. I guess that's just the nature of a troll. Maybe when you start seeing the results you'd like to see, you'll be a little happier with yourself and a little less of a jerk.

Let me break this down for you. Someone disagreeing with your opinion is not a troll. Not to mention that you were the first one to start slinging insults and calling names. If you're so confident in what you know, then know it. There's no need to throw a temper tantrum because someone else thinks differently.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

LOL ok.
    Oh well.

way to move the goalposts...

you tried to distinguish types of sugar, and then got called on it; so then you tried to go the passive aggressive name calling route, and got called on that too; and then you created strawman about people saying that they would "die without cake"..

oh, and I forgot to mention the part where anyone who disagrees with you is a troll ..

let me guess what comes next, we are all mean and bullies...

• fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options

There is more than one way to meet your goals, but there isn't more than one set of facts.
    Take it how you want it, but I feel better when I eat less candy bars and cake. I find it humorous that you are so much of a troll that you would find something to argue about in that statement. You'd think all that junk food you're advocating would make you just a little sweeter on the inside, I guess not. :neutral:
    So like I've said over and over and over, my goal is to eat less of this stuff. Why you have such an issue with my personal fitness goals, I have no idea. I guess that's just the nature of a troll. Maybe when you start seeing the results you'd like to see, you'll be a little happier with yourself and a little less of a jerk.

Just because people disagree doesn't make them trolls.

I'm not arguing that you feel better when you eat fewer candy bars and cake. I rarely eat them myself, so I can understand. Nobody has an issue with your personal fitness goals. Every single statement so far (that I've seen) has been simply about the misinformation that you're attempting to spread.

I'm happy with my results. I'm not sure why you are projecting so much, but would you like to keep this conversation about the facts and leave the personal stuff out of it? Or is the personal stuff what you prefer to focus on?
    Please take a moment to review the OP's original question, and then review my response. Now please tell me how your sugar advocacy has anything to do with either of these? OP asked questions pertaining to their goal of reducing the amount of sugar they consume. OP had a goal, you don't agree with that goal because it's not your goal so you bash everyone who also shares this goal. How is that behavior you can defend?
    Nobody cares why you think eating excessive amounts of junk is just fine, because after all you're just a stranger on the Internet. OP was asking questions related to their goal, not asking you to weigh in on why you thought their goal was stupid.
    I responded with my experience related to this goal and the trolls of MFP decided to attack me for juicing and for saying next time around I'm just going to try to eat a little less sugar than the day before. Both my experiences and opinions, which are what was requested.
    I've been a member of MFP for a few years now and every time I venture into the forums I'm disappointed that they've been taken over by trolls such as yourself. It didn't used to be this way here and it's sad that this isn't the supportive environment it could be.
    The funny part is I'm a member of another popular fitness communitity with the mantra of "no excuses" where every one supports each other and there is no trolling, and guess what? Everyone is thriving and meeting their goals. Positive attitudes and support count for way more than your trolling and googling. Just because some one else is succeeding doesn't mean you're failing, you don't have to be so negative just because my methods to success are different from yours.
    Have a nice day.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You mean quitting sugar for a while?

Yup. It went fine. I didn't eat it for a very long time, but if you're looking to do it in order to cut back, it's not necessary to give it up for more than a few weeks.

It changed my taste, and I was satisfied with a much less sweet taste after that, and also with much less in the amount of sweet things it took to satisfy me.

I no longer liked milk chocolate (with an exception or two), I preferred dark chocolate.

I eat small amounts of sugary treats now in moderation.

This.

I only quit it long enough to get my sweet tooth under control. Now I eat sugar every day in small amounts.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I'm not arguing that you feel better when you eat fewer candy bars and cake. I rarely eat them myself, so I can understand. Nobody has an issue with your personal fitness goals. Every single statement so far (that I've seen) has been simply about the misinformation that you're attempting to spread.

I'm happy with my results. I'm not sure why you are projecting so much, but would you like to keep this conversation about the facts and leave the personal stuff out of it? Or is the personal stuff what you prefer to focus on?
    Please take a moment to review the OP's original question, and then review my response. Now please tell me how your sugar advocacy has anything to do with either of these? OP asked questions pertaining to their goal of reducing the amount of sugar they consume. OP had a goal, you don't agree with that goal because it's not your goal so you bash everyone who also shares this goal. How is that behavior you can defend?
    Nobody cares why you think eating excessive amounts of junk is just fine, because after all you're just a stranger on the Internet. OP was asking questions related to their goal, not asking you to weigh in on why you thought their goal was stupid.
    I responded with my experience related to this goal and the trolls of MFP decided to attack me for juicing and for saying next time around I'm just going to try to eat a little less sugar than the day before. Both my experiences and opinions, which are what was requested.
    I've been a member of MFP for a few years now and every time I venture into the forums I'm disappointed that they've been taken over by trolls such as yourself. It didn't used to be this way here and it's sad that this isn't the supportive environment it could be.
    The funny part is I'm a member of another popular fitness communitity with the mantra of "no excuses" where every one supports each other and there is no trolling, and guess what? Everyone is thriving and meeting their goals. Positive attitudes and support count for way more than your trolling and googling. Just because some one else is succeeding doesn't mean you're failing, you don't have to be so negative just because my methods to success are different from yours.
    Have a nice day.

You are responding to a construct of your imagination. I haven't bashed anyone, I am not advocating for or against sugar.

Nobody is attacking you for juicing. What is being challenged (not attacked) is the misinformation. Juicing is no more a treatment for "sugar addiction" than bourbon is a treatment for alcoholism. And the division you recognize between "artificial" sugar and the sugar in juice is imaginary.

Your insistence that everyone who disagrees with you is a troll is nothing more than a tactic to avoid debate. And "googling"? Are you seriously saying that you'd prefer a forum where people don't check facts? Okay, well, it sounds like you have found one, a forum where "support" is king and facts are secondary. Maybe you would be happier there than a forum where assertions are expected to have a foundation in science and reality.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options

Have a nice day.

I agree with her - there might be finite details on the issue of juicing without pulp, but the fact remains that processed foods that contain sugar have less chewing resistance and therefore contribute to a higher blood sugar count - which then allows that food to be turned into fat very quickly, versus a piece of fruit.

I agree with her assertion that the forums are toxic in nature - and there are a few people who just endear themselves to not understanding the Dale Carnegie method of dealing with the world.

The issue is not whether we should all be friends. The issue here is protocol. We are all weak, I am weak and succumb to a weakened sense of civility - but overall when I see the same people responding in the same vitriolic manner over and over again, it does give me great pause and I wonder WHY.

Just be civil and move on. She deserves better treatment than that. A gentleman would most assuredly treat others with respect - not with malice, vitriol and despicableness.

I think if MFP Premium is to be introduced, anyone wishing to participate in the forums should pay a membership fee to do so. In fact, I will inquire on that - that may remove much of the vitriol that exists in the forums and allow for more discourse overall.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    OP: I skimmed this thread, 'cause I pretty much knew what I would find. Sugar is a very sensitive topic around here, as are detoxes, so the title of your thread was like dangling a nice hunk of raw meat out for some sharks.

There is some kind of prevailing belief out in the world right now that added/"refined" sugar is equivalent to poison and we all need to completely eliminate it from our diets, which is not true. It is that idea that people here oppose, because it's false and the demonization sugar is really not helpful and frankly very annoying.

HOWEVER, what a lot of the "pro-sugar" peeps, for lack of a better term, often fail to take into consideration is that a lot of foods with added/"refined" sugar are also higher in calories, and are also often very difficult for people to consume in moderation. So cutting/reducing those kinds of sweets from your diet can be beneficial if you're trying to lose weight.

So basically... you do you. Cutting out sugar is not going to hurt you any more than continuing to eat it will. So make your choices based on you.

And the reason I even commented at all was just to say - you will probably feel like crap for the first week or two. I didn't intentionally cut sugar, but a natural result of cutting calories for me was greatly reduced sugar intake and I was a raving b*tch for about two weeks.

Also, strawberries are delicious.

Okay, I'm done.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Have a nice day.

I agree with her - there might be finite details on the issue of juicing without pulp, but the fact remains that processed foods that contain sugar have less chewing resistance and therefore contribute to a higher blood sugar count - which then allows that food to be turned into fat very quickly, versus a piece of fruit.

I agree with her assertion that the forums are toxic in nature - and there are a few people who just endear themselves to not understanding the Dale Carnegie method of dealing with the world.

The issue is not whether we should all be friends. The issue here is protocol. We are all weak, I am weak and succumb to a weakened sense of civility - but overall when I see the same people responding in the same vitriolic manner over and over again, it does give me great pause and I wonder WHY.

Just be civil and move on. She deserves better treatment than that. A gentleman would most assuredly treat others with respect - not with malice, vitriol and despicableness.

I think if MFP Premium is to be introduced, anyone wishing to participate in the forums should pay a membership fee to do so. In fact, I will inquire on that - that may remove much of the vitriol that exists in the forums and allow for more discourse overall.

Who are you talking to here? All the insults have been made by the person you are defending. She made factual errors, which people tried to address. She then made it personal.

What statements, specifically, do you find toxic? Because I think the assumption that anyone who disagrees with the facts in your post is a troll who is failing to meet their own goals is a pretty toxic one.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Have a nice day.

ironic post is ironic...
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Have a nice day.

Who said eating excessive amounts of "junk" is fine? All anyone has said is that a sugar detox, or any other detox, is not necessary for results. And also that 'detoxing' from sugar by drinking juice is funny...because it is.

All of the negative connotations in this discussion are your own, and you're the only one throwing "troll" "DB" and "jerk" around, because those aren't insults, amirite?

Perhaps it's time for you to get back to that other popular fitness community where everyone tells you how awesome you are all the time and no one dares to try and stop the spreading of misinformation.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Sugar to survive? Really? LOL

Yes, your body requires glucose to function. This is biology 101.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Do-not-think-it-means.jpeg
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Have a nice day.

I double checked the posts, most of the insults started from her. The first thing I can see on the subject that would be classed as an insult is 'It makes complete sense as long as you buy into hype over logic', followed by 'The logical inconsistencies in your post are astounding', both against her. Ok, first one's a bit sarcastic, but they're both making points, they're not just pure insults. She responds by calling them trolls, people say again that sugar is sugar regardless of where it's from, and she again says they're trolls, jerks and 'You'd think all that junk food you're advocating would make you just a little sweeter on the inside, I guess not.' After that it descends more into insults and anger.

So I guess it depends how bad you think the first couple of comments are, but I'd hardly call them 'toxic'. Toxic is when someone says they hope you die, that they have no time to explain why you're wrong because they need to hire someone to kill you as quickly as possible, that you're a plague on humanity and they hope you get cancer, all of which I've been told before on other websites. I wouldn't say that being told your argument is illogical qualifies as toxic.

Also requiring MFP premium in order to post on the forums would suck for the new people who needed help.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Have a nice day.

Toxic is when someone says they hope you die, that they have no time to explain why you're wrong because they need to hire someone to kill you as quickly as possible, that you're a plague on humanity and they hope you get cancer, all of which I've been told before on other websites. I wouldn't say that being told your argument is illogical qualifies as toxic.

Darn, girl. You hang out in some rough places. :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

Have a nice day.

so you agree with person posting pseudo science and insulting everyone else...

why do I not find that surprising...

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I dont eat purified sugar... I cook from scratch and when I rarely bake I use fruits or a little honey to sweeten

I don't have a sweet tooth, already liked dark chocolate like to eat iwth with a bit of salt on it :)

I do eat refined sugar in baked goods / foods ... I cook from scratch and when I bake I use the recipe

I don't have a particularly sweet tooth either and I like dark chocolate .. and salted caramel and ice cream bars omnomnom

what I do is watch my overall calories, my protein intake and my fibre .. the rest can just fall where it falls ... weight loss and maintenance should be how you can live for life

Neither the OP nor the poster you quoted ever mentioned their worries about "weight loss" or "maintenance"

Isn't it cool how we always assume people must be concerned about certain things when they aren't?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Juice is basically pure sugar, without even the fiber that people always says makes fruit different.
    These juices were made of only fruits and veggies. Look up the website and you will see what I mean. Obviously my goal was to reduce the amount of artificial sugar, not natural sugars.

The sugar is the same. Juice has some additional nutrients, but it's like the worst thing in the world if you are really trying to cut sugar or think you react to sugar somehow.

Fruit has fiber that slows overall digestion, but juice does not.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I dont eat purified sugar... I cook from scratch and when I rarely bake I use fruits or a little honey to sweeten

I don't have a sweet tooth, already liked dark chocolate like to eat iwth with a bit of salt on it :)

I do eat refined sugar in baked goods / foods ... I cook from scratch and when I bake I use the recipe

I don't have a particularly sweet tooth either and I like dark chocolate .. and salted caramel and ice cream bars omnomnom

what I do is watch my overall calories, my protein intake and my fibre .. the rest can just fall where it falls ... weight loss and maintenance should be how you can live for life

Neither the OP nor the poster you quoted ever mentioned their worries about "weight loss" or "maintenance"

Isn't it cool how we always assume people must be concerned about certain things when they aren't?

isn't it cool how some people love to referee the forums...

last time I checked you were allowed to express an opinion in an open, public, forum, regardless of topic...