Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    kyleh206 wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Yeah people need to cut down on their sugar. I liked the show.

Eating crap like a processed to heck Snickers bar and 3oz Coke will destroy your efforts. That's like 600 calories added with a bunch of sugar.

I've cut WAAAYY down on sugar (in turn calories in general) and have lost almost 40 lbs.

No kidding a Snickers and a coke would carry calories. It's about knowing how to fit them into your day, week, or month.

600 calories?

A full snickers and a whole 3oz of coke would be about 300 calories. If you decided to drink the whole can...than ya it's about 400.

I'm not sure why you quoted or replied to my post. Do you even realize what I was getting at?

You stated that food "processed to heck" like a snickers bar and 3oz of coke will destroy your efforts. I'm saying no it won't if you know how to plan it into your diet........that and your estimate is basically double how many calories are actually in said example.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Fell asleep the first time I tried watching it because it was ridiculous then watched it again to have some knowledge of what was in it. All I really took away from it is people need to take responsiblity for their own actions- overeating is no one's fault except your own.
  • kyleh206
    kyleh206 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Eating crap like a processed to heck Snickers bar and 3oz Coke will destroy your efforts. That's like 600 calories added with a bunch of sugar.

I've cut WAAAYY down on sugar (in turn calories in general) and have lost almost 40 lbs.

No kidding a Snickers and a coke would carry calories. It's about knowing how to fit them into your day, week, or month.

600 calories?

A full snickers and a whole 3oz of coke would be about 300 calories. If you decided to drink the whole can...than ya it's about 400.

I'm not sure why you quoted or replied to my post. Do you even realize what I was getting at?

You stated that food "processed to heck" like a snickers bar and 3oz of coke will destroy your efforts. I'm saying no it won't if you know how to plan it into your diet........that and your estimate is basically double how many calories are actually in said example.

I mean 32oz.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I had a pretty good outcome eating snickers bars, fast food, pizza, chips, desserts etc etc-lost almost 60lbs and got my glucose number out of the pre-diabetic range and into the normal range (where its stayed for two years now). It was like magic, or maybe it was that calorie deficit thing I did ;) And look-you did the calorie deficit thing too! Wonders never cease-we both lost weight doing that. Go figure!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I'm actually watching it right now. I think it's very accurate. When I review my diet for the weeks when I haven't lost weight, I'm usually under my calories every day, but over on fat and sugars.

From what I understand every gram of fat is 9 calories and every gram of sugar is 4 so if you went 30 over on fat and 25 over on sugar you would have consumed 370 extra calories, so in actuality it's the calories in the fat and sugar that aren't being counted that might be screwing you up not the actual fat and sugar themselves

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I stay away from processed foods.

Most people who claim this don't, so I'm curious how you define processed foods.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options

600 calories?

I mean 32oz.

3 oz or 32 oz it doesn't matter, if you can work it in and meet your goals then it wont destroy anything. Some people calorie intake is higher than other people so they get to enjoy a bit more food.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Watched the movie but it was hard to take it seriously when one of the opening statements in the beginning was, "... not all calories are equal..."

.... I use to be 100% paleo and in the end I started gaining weight. I now do CICO and eat potato chips, chocolate chip cookies, bbq ribs, and anything I want. I'm loosing about a pound a week... but according to the logic, "a calorie is not a calorie," I should be fat now and I should have never gained weight when I was, "eating clean,"

I think it misrepresents the truth to say that it is calories that aren't equal. A calorie is just a unit of measurement, so they'd better be equal or it doesn't make sense. But I don't think we're correct to ignore the thermogenic effect of food, especially when we have people weighing their food to get the calorie content correct.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    i am watching it now, I am 15mins in, so what's the problem with this documentary?

ETA: More and more of these "sugar" type documentaries are coming out, they all say pretty much the same thing. If anyone can provide a link to a documentary that suggest, "we eat all the processed carbs/sugar we're fine." it will be appreciated.

A fun one is Fat Head-a comedian decides to take on the documentary Super Size Me and only eats fast food-ends up not only losing weight, but also improves his blood panels in the process ;)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    i am watching it now, I am 15mins in, so what's the problem with this documentary?

ETA: More and more of these "sugar" type documentaries are coming out, they all say pretty much the same thing. If anyone can provide a link to a documentary that suggest, "we eat all the processed carbs/sugar we're fine." it will be appreciated.

C'mon. You know quite well that that's not fear-mongery enough to sell.
  • Lukyanenko
    Lukyanenko Posts: 65 Member
    Options

A fun one is Fat Head-a comedian decides to take on the documentary Super Size Me and only eats fast food-ends up not only losing weight, but also improves his blood panels in the process ;)

Fat head was pushing limiting carbs.

Fed Up, thus far is pushing reducing sugar(which is a carb).

So it's pretty much the same thing.

And that's the thing. If you are making a documentary about food, or anything else, then you have an agenda. I mean why else make the documentary if not to highlight some perceived injustice or wrongdoing? And food documentaries are the worst of the bunch. For a great, and horrible at the same time documentary try 'fat, sick & almost dead' or the no-fact based 'GMO OMG' (and isn't that the best title ever?)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Lukyanenko wrote: »

And that's the thing. If you are making a documentary about food, or anything else, then you have an agenda. I mean why else make the documentary if not to highlight some perceived injustice or wrongdoing? And food documentaries are the worst of the bunch. For a great, and horrible at the same time documentary try 'fat, sick & almost dead' or the no-fact based 'GMO OMG' (and isn't that the best title ever?)

I am well aware of "Fat Sick And Nearly Dead" documentary. That mostly pushes a vegan diet.

No. It doesn't. It pushes a "juice cleanse" and jucing.

He wants people to join his site and buy his juicers and recipe books for juice. He also does a 15 day and 30 day juice cleanse you can buy to get tips/recipes...

http://shop.rebootwithjoe.com/collections/juicers

duh.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen the documentary. What happens if I don't reduce my sugar intake?

Eventually...you die
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

We can predict, with 100% certainty, that you will die someday.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options

You will live forever, never get cancer and never age.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

you get da beetus
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Lukyanenko wrote: »

I am well aware of "Fat Sick And Nearly Dead" documentary. That mostly pushes a vegan diet.

No. It doesn't. It pushes a "juice cleanse" and jucing.

He wants people to join his site and buy his juicers and recipe books for juice.

http://shop.rebootwithjoe.com/collections/juicers

duh.
    ha I was going to say at the end of my post... "it has a while since I seen fat sick and nearly dead, but this is what i remember of it." But from your post, there is obviously an agenda.

yep. Atleast in this other documentary they aren't blatantly selling a physical product.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    edited May 2015
    Options

It's been a while since I've watched it but if I remember correctly-he tracked both calories and carbs. I'll have to re-watch it to make sure though :)

eta-about the documentary, from Wikipedia- During the film, Naughton goes on an all-fast-food diet, mainly eating food from McDonald's. For his daily dietary intake, he aims to keep his calories to around 2,000 and his carbohydrates to around 100 grams per day, but he does not restrict fat at all. He ends up eating about 100 grams of fat per day, of which about 50 grams are saturated. He also decides to walk six nights a week, instead of his usual three. After a month eating that way, he loses 12 pounds and his total cholesterol goes down. His HDL does go down, often thought to be undesirable.

So yes, he does track his calories throughout the experiment, as well as his carbs. And he also doubles the amount of exercise he was doing, which burned more calories....
This discussion has been closed.