Self Diagnosed Sugar Addicts Sure Do Lie A Lot

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Just to stir it up a bit - I'm pretty sure when people say they're "addicted" to something, they don't mean it literally and in fact are not trying to offend a recovering alcoholic by using the A-word. The word has simply become common in conversation. I say I'm addicted to coffee all the time: I'm not implying that I need an intervention or rehab.

I think. Or maybe I'm wrong. Carry on.
    I do think it's entertaining that a lot of people who freak out about the "sugar addict" threads had no problem (and many post in) the coffee addict threads.

Is caffeine not addicting?
    theres the problem, its not by most definitions. addiction has no hard and fast definition

It's a CNS stimulant that users develop a tolerance to and a mild dependence (complete with withdrawal symptoms) can develop. Honest question: what would be the argument against caffeine addiction being real?
    People rarely eat coffee right out of the bag?

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Careful there, though. There is a subset of people for whom food addiction might be an appropriate way to phrase what's going on, and for them, it would be a clinical diagnosis of Binge Eating Disorder. This would not be just someone who says they eat a box of cookies, mind you.

There's current literature to support this thinking and way of phrasing things, and again, it's not something that's really up for self-diagnosis.

As someone in recovery from BED, I can say that I never, ever considered it a food addiction. The behaviour was an addictive process for me, and I definitely have certain types of food that I am more vulnerable to binging on, but I would never, ever say I have a food addiction. If anything, an eating addiction is more appropriate.

If I'm not mistaken, it's a subset of people with BED, so you may have not fit the profile.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Just to stir it up a bit - I'm pretty sure when people say they're "addicted" to something, they don't mean it literally and in fact are not trying to offend a recovering alcoholic by using the A-word. The word has simply become common in conversation. I say I'm addicted to coffee all the time: I'm not implying that I need an intervention or rehab.

I do think it's entertaining that a lot of people who freak out about the "sugar addict" threads had no problem (and many post in) the coffee addict threads.

theres the problem, its not by most definitions. addiction has no hard and fast definition

It's a CNS stimulant that users develop a tolerance to and a mild dependence (complete with withdrawal symptoms) can develop. Honest question: what would be the argument against caffeine addiction being real?

That's a good point. I had always heard that caffeine was addictive, never really thought about it that much.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I only saw that in one circumstance...in the military out in the field...we didn't have time to brew any coffee so some of the boys dumped a packet of instant coffee, creamer and sugar in their mouth and took a big drink of water at 4am...I almost gagged...

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

That's a good point. I had always heard that caffeine was addictive, never really thought about it that much.
    Although, chocolate-covered espresso beans...

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    ladybird89 wrote: »
    sugar is addictive in the sense that the more you consume it on a regular basis, the more you crave it and feel like you need it just to feel "normal." this is a fact.

No, it's not. Some of us who thought this was the case have been able to conquer this belief, eat small amounts of sugar without craving for further amounts, and walk away satisfied.

This is just some of the BS that goes around in pop culture about sugar masquerading as "science".

A lot of things taste good. That doesn't mean your body CRAVES them and makes you want more than you should eat. It just means they taste good. Heck, my lentil stew tastes delicious to me too. I eat my portion, then I'm done.

People who overeat ANYTHING will find so many ways of telling themselves that the food made them do it. It's really absurd.

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options

This is my point. The average person doesn't know the definition of addiction. For most, an addiction means something they don't want to live without, and that causes unpleasant feelings if they stop using/ eating. Hence, addiction.

Sugar/ caffeine
    Po-tay-to/ po-tah-to

I think everyone is just getting too riled up by semantics. IMHO.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

They aren't writing angry letters to HGTV to demand Rehab Addict be taken off the air, either.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options

If I'm not mistaken, it's a subset of people with BED, so you may have not fit the profile.

Huh! Interesting. I misunderstood your original post. I'll definitely have to look that up.

Options

Although, chocolate-covered espresso beans...
    Yes. OMG they are amazing.

• PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Is it getting riled up by semantics OR

Is it not wanting to foster a way of thinking that's ultimately detrimental to weight loss?

I personally think that saying one is addicted to sugar is blame shifting. I don't think that meaningful progress with any sort of ongoing weight problem can be made until one is able to accept responsibility for their own behavior with food.

If you're still finding ways to blame the food, you're still going to fail in the end.

I know that sounds cold, but that's been my experience, and that's been what I've observed over time with other dieters.

This is NOT to say that one cannot be cognizant of the fact that sugar is a problem for them and chose to give it up while owning responsibility for their behavior. The two positions aren't mutually exclusive. I don't think people doing this generally go around saying they're addicted, though.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ok so I would chance to guess when someone says they are addicted to sweets (sugar) that maybe its not the sugar itself as much as it is the junk food with all the added sugar.
    Maybe they are very much drawn to sugary drinks abnd cakes, cookies, pies, pudding, candybars, hard candies, peeps, ya know, that sort of thing. Maybe its not so much the sugar itself,,,maybe its the processed carbs.......maybe? Is that crickets i hear?

Processed carbs is the addictive substance? Sadly that is also as silly as being addicted to "sugar"
    Options

Is it not wanting to foster a way of thinking that's ultimately detrimental to weight loss?

I personally think that saying one is addicted to sugar is blame shifting. I don't think that meaningful progress with any sort of ongoing weight problem can be made until one is able to accept responsibility for their own behavior with food.

If you're still finding ways to blame the food, you're still going to fail in the end.

I know that sounds cold, but that's been my experience, and that's been what I've observed over time with other dieters.

This is NOT to say that one cannot be cognizant of the fact that sugar is a problem for them and chose to give it up while owning responsibility for their behavior. The two positions aren't mutually exclusive. I don't think people doing this generally go around saying they're addicted, though.
    Agreed.

• JPW1990
    Options

This is NOT to say that one cannot be cognizant of the fact that sugar is a problem for them and chose to give it up while owning responsibility for their behavior. The two positions aren't mutually exclusive.

Realistically, that would require someone to be psychic. The assumption in any thread where the word "addiction" is used in correlation to "sugar" is that the person means it literally and clinically. They are never given the benefit of the doubt that it's a colloquial use, just like when people say OMG I'm addicted to Quest bars or coffee.

You can pretty much forecast it down to the post:
    I want to cut sugar because I'm so addicted to it, any pointers?

Addiciton not real n00b

Stop being mean

Stop policing the forums

Stop moving goalposts

OMFG DID YOU KNOW FRUIT HAS SUGAR IN IT??? OMG NOBODY HAS EVER MENTIONED IT BEFORE!

hehehe are you going to stop eating apples? How could you not eat apples?

***generic mod warning***

I'm so offended you dared to compare my drug/alcohol/sex addiction to your Dunkin Donuts habit, How very dare you?!?!?!?!?!

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

This is NOT to say that one cannot be cognizant of the fact that sugar is a problem for them and chose to give it up while owning responsibility for their behavior. The two positions aren't mutually exclusive.

Realistically, that would require someone to be psychic. The assumption in any thread where the word "addiction" is used in correlation to "sugar" is that the person means it literally and clinically. They are never given the benefit of the doubt that it's a colloquial use, just like when people say OMG I'm addicted to Quest bars or coffee.

Addiciton not real n00b

Stop being mean

Stop policing the forums

Stop moving goalposts

OMFG DID YOU KNOW FRUIT HAS SUGAR IN IT??? OMG NOBODY HAS EVER MENTIONED IT BEFORE!

I'm so offended you dared to compare my drug/alcohol/sex addiction to your Dunkin Donuts habit, How very dare you?!?!?!?!?!

It's not the semantics of the word addicted, it's if you claim to have an issue with a substance, shouldn't you know what that substance is? Sugar takes many forms but so called addicts only focus on very few of them and only when in certain products, meaning they don't actually have an issue with sugar at all
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If I ever overdo it on something, I know that it's my fault. It's not the foods fault. I was the one who didn't have the self control to stop. I don't get why we blame so many things on foods. Weight loss is a mental battle more than anything, I think.
  • JPW1990
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Addiciton not real n00b

Stop being mean

Stop policing the forums

Stop moving goalposts

It's not the semantics of the word addicted, it's if you claim to have an issue with a substance, shouldn't you know what that substance is? Sugar takes many forms but so called addicts only focus on very few of them and only when in certain products, meaning they don't actually have an issue with sugar at all

Then shouldn't you also be lecturing the people who are addicted to cookie dough quest bars but don't like the lemon ones?
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    ladybird89 wrote: »
    sugar is addictive in the sense that the more you consume it on a regular basis, the more you crave it and feel like you need it just to feel "normal." this is a fact. also, i've never heard anybody say "i'm addicted to sugar, therefore i'm giving up on losing weight. i'm addicted and always will be, brb gotta go eat two dozen donuts now." to the contrary. being self-aware enough to recognize that your body has become dependent on a certain substance (whether its for "comfort," for "energy," etc) is the first step to undoing that unhealthy habit.

The link between consumption and increased craving is true for some. All the "..ose" chemicals hit fast, depending on what else is consumed that might slow them down (pectin, for ex) and have an immediate effect on brain function - lights up receptors in the brain in the same place that is activated when people addicted to alcohol crave substance or drink, spikes dopamine (more so than puppies? maybe), increases presence of serotonin. Many people experience a crash afterwards ... which is alleviated by more sugar .... the alleviation of "crash" is experienced subjectively as a return to normal.

Whether or not you view the process judgmentally as an "excuse" ... why you would says more about you than anything; if the person you are judging is you, just say no? ... understanding it and being curious about how it plays out for you, individually, can be helpful in moderating a habit if that is what you want to do.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well Im gonna gO ahead and say this. I dont consider myself an "addict" but I love sugar. Plain ole white sugar. Leave a box of sugar cubes anywhere near me and I will eat the entire box. As a kid I would snag sugar packets from the target food court and suck on them in the store through the package!!! I Would shove the whole pack in my mouth. I actually told my mother in law about this a few months ago and funny enough at Christmas after 14 years of regular sugar in a container she suddenly had a box of sugar cubes. Of course I went straight for them. Im 99% sure she set me up.
  • Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Processed carbs is the addictive substance? Sadly that is also as silly as being addicted to "sugar"

Nope, I didnt say addictive substance, you did. I said drawn to. Some people think their so called Addiction is to sugar,,maybe they just really like all the processed junk food, cakes, cookies, etc and they tend to eat that because, it tastes good. Its not an addictive thing. Its about what they like and enjoy eating. They crave it and to them it feels like they cant go another minute without it. So when they ask about it on these boards they say they are addicted to it, and want advice.
    Just dont buy junk food, to me its simple, ya cant eat what ya dont buy.

This discussion has been closed.