Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    sm4astan wrote: »
    Thread closed. Oops, I'm not an Admin, I can't lock a thread. Sigh....

Your last post was also common sense. Then the usual arguers showed up. I'd say please take your helpful advice to other threads where it might be appreciated!

maybe you guys should start a "helpful advice, no arguing" group....

Based on their posts here, it would lack helpful advice. It would contain nothing but admittedly willful ignorance leading to "you go girl" posts without regard to safety, logic, or reason.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options

Your last post was also common sense. Then the usual arguers showed up. I'd say please take your helpful advice to other threads where it might be appreciated!

Based on their posts here, it would lack helpful advice. It would contain nothing but admittedly willful ignorance leading to "you go girl" posts without regard to safety, logic, or reason.

You keep using that phrase, but it does not apply to me or the other poster. So judgy you are.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options

If we want to we will. We do not need your suggestion or any other input.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    qpmomma1 wrote: »
    I used to fast from food once a week for religious reasons. It won't hurt you.
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    My husband fasts occasionally for religious purposes.

This is completely different from starting a cycle of "I'm over my calories for the week, so I won't eat for a day". Please consider that before responding like this.

My point was occasional fasting is not harmful. My husband fasted 1x a week for several weeks at a time with no ill effects.

This not an uncommon practice. Many people routinely eat this way.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

You keep using that phrase, but it does not apply to me or the other poster. So judgy you are.

He admitted to not looking at the facts ... therefore it does apply. In your rush to judge you overlooked important details leading to you arguing a position based upon fallacies.

Not getting the facts first is why your advice isn't helpful.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

He admitted to not looking at the facts ... therefore it does apply. In your rush to judge you overlooked important details leading to you arguing a position based upon fallacies.

Facts? Everyone here is arguing on assumptions.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

So the OP doesn't have a daily goal of 1151 and three pounds to lose? She doesn't have days under 500 calories consumed?

See ... facts.

While your so busy supporting a fast you're missing the very simple fact that the OP is undereating when hitting her "goal".

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

So the OP doesn't have a daily goal of 1151 and three pounds to lose? She doesn't have days under 500 calories consumed?

See ... facts.

While your so busy supporting a fast you're missing the very simple fact that the OP is undereating when hitting her "goal".

IF she logs all her food, then some days are under 500. You are assuming she does. (There are also days that nearly double her goal.) You are assuming a lot based on very little unprovable information. Those ain't facts Sweetie.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options

See ... facts.

Why do you take what people put on their profiles as gospel? Any numbers can be input there, whether on purpose or in error.

You seem overly upset about this issue. Why does fasting bother you so much?
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options

He admitted to not looking at the facts correction: PROFILE... therefore it does apply. In your rush to judge you overlooked important details leading to you arguing a position based upon fallacies.

Where did I judge? OP is free to eat or not eat as she wishes. I never once said she had disordered thinking.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

See ... facts.

IF she logs all her food, then some days are under 500. You are assuming she does. (There are also days that nearly double her goal.) You are assuming a lot based on very little unprovable information. Those ain't facts Sweetie.

the only fact that matters is that she wanted to do a 24 hour water fast because she felt like she ate "too much," which is borderline disordered view of eating.

I don't understand why anyone would consider that a normal thought process.

If she said she was considering IF; 5:2; fasting for religious reasons, etc, then OK, I can see the point, but I fail to see who it is considered normal to want to do a water fast just beucase you over ate for a few days or the week, or whatever...
  • brianpperkins
    Options

See ... facts.

Why do you take what people put on their profiles as gospel? Any numbers can be input there, whether on purpose or in error.

Based on the part in bold, I now know better than to trust you.

Fasting, for those averaging a healthy amount, doesn't bother me. Advising somebody that it is ok when they are already undereating by all evidence they've provided, does. Context matters.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The problem is that things are being assumed, and until OP comes back and clarifies a few things over-reacting is way too much drama in my opinion. Is water fasting for a day every now and then harmful? No. Is it a good approach? Maybe and maybe not. I refuse to pass judgement based on her diary. She appears to be eating an average of 1200-1250 which is a valid choice, especially if she is shorter and/or has a sedentary lifestyle. Used correctly, fasting is a helpful tool that may be easier for certain individuals than alternative strategies.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

See ... facts.

the only fact that matters is that she wanted to do a 24 hour water fast because she felt like she ate "too much," which is borderline disordered view of eating.

If she said she was considering IF; 5:2; fasting for religious reasons, etc, then OK, I can see the point, but I fail to see who it is considered normal to want to do a water fast just beucase you over ate for a few days or the week, or whatever...

On what do you base the opinion that wanting to control calories through a limited fast is disordered thinking?
  • ndj1979
    Options

See ... facts.

On what do you base the opinion that wanting to control calories through a limited fast is disordered thinking?

that's not what I said.

I said it was "borderline"...

and what do you base your opinion on that overeating one day and then doing a 24 hour water fast is normal?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

See ... facts.

that's not what I said.

and what do you base your opinion on that overeating one day and then doing a 24 hour water fast is normal?

Normal? I never expressed on opinion on what is normal.
  • ndj1979
    Options

See ... facts.

that's not what I said.

Normal? I never expressed on opinion on what is normal.

is it normal or not?
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 277 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just to throw my two pence in - having looked through the OP's diary, for the last couple of weeks (apart from one or two days), she has hit between 1200-1900. Whilst 1200 is aggressive for someone only wanting to lose 3lbs, I would hardly say it rings alarm bells.

I agree that if the OP had some kind of ED, then that way of thinking would be concerning, but there are no facts to prove that, as suggested by somebody above.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options

See ... facts.

Based on the part in bold, I now know better than to trust you.

Fasting, for those averaging a healthy amount, doesn't bother me. Advising somebody that it is ok when they are already undereating by all evidence they've provided, does. Context matters.

This is just an internet site. Whom can you really trust? And why do we need to? My profile says I lost 5 lbs. but I didn't because I didn't have any weight to lose. I just input some numbers when I first set up my profile but then decided I didn't want anything in there. Haven't cared enough to fix it. My profile pics are accurate, though.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    intermittent-fasting-meme-for-weight-loss-skipping-breakfast.png