Options

Replies

• Razzaz
    Razzaz Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Razzaz wrote: »
    ok.....

i eat out all the time and lose weight. your point?

well, i dont eat mcdonalds cause gross but whatever. LOL

Fruit and salad made me gain weight. McDonald's made me loose weight. My point being this doesn't make sense

Depending on how the salad is made, a salad can easily have more calories than a cheeseburger. If you aren't correctly logging what is in the salad, you may be eating more than you think.

In a salad is lettuce tomatoes cucumber pepper spring onion beetroot wow that's more calories than a cheeseburger... don't know any low calorie foods anymore
    NO. The DRESSING is high calorie. If you only eat the vegetables that TINY salad is like 50 calories.

Or if it has a bunch of cheese or bacon or whatever in it.

Nah if I have salad it has nothing but salad no cheese or bacon or dressings. Consists usually a handful of lettuce. 3 cherry tomatoes quarter of cucumber quarter of red pepper 2 spring onions. 5 slices of beetroot... With a glass of water. Fruit wise 2 satsumas a day 10 grapes a day mixed fruit pots from tesco occasionally which can be 100 calories.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    You can eat McDonald's any time you like if it fits your calories/macros (good balance of protein, fat, carbs throughout the day). A lot of people like to fearmonger and say certain foods are 'good' and certain foods are 'bad'. Be wary of this kind of thought pattern. Of course a diet of fruits, veggies, nuts, lean meats, fewer packaged foods and more home-cooked meals will most often be more nutrient-dense and you can control what goes into it to get the best balance of calories/macros. This is the optimal way to eat. But not eating certain foods any time, ever, because they're bad, evil, full of chemicals, and it will totally derail your progress and health -- that's skewed thinking. That's how people sell books and diet plans. "For just 49.99 I will tell you the 10 foods you should NEVER eat and you can lose weight fast and easy and look 10 years younger!" ... Sounds like Food Babe. There's a reason why she takes so many tropical vacations a year - she's getting rich off of selling people bad information.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    While weight loss is about a calorie deficit i would still recommend eating fruits and veggies over a greasy, saw dust, chemical filled "meat" substitute any day. Sure you might lose weight on junk food but that does NOT mean it is good for you or your body in any way.

You say McDonald's made you loose weight and fruit and salad made you gain but without weighing the fruit and veggies you don't know how many calories you're actually consuming.

There's always one....
  • Razzaz
    Options
    You can eat McDonald's any time you like if it fits your calories/macros (good balance of protein, fat, carbs throughout the day). A lot of people like to fearmonger and say certain foods are 'good' and certain foods are 'bad'. Be wary of this kind of thought pattern. Of course a diet of fruits, veggies, nuts, lean meats, fewer packaged foods and more home-cooked meals will most often be more nutrient-dense and you can control what goes into it to get the best balance of calories/macros. This is the optimal way to eat. But not eating certain foods any time, ever, because they're bad, evil, full of chemicals, and it will totally derail your progress and health -- that's skewed thinking. That's how people sell books and diet plans. "For just 49.99 I will tell you the 10 foods you should NEVER eat and you can lose weight fast and easy and look 10 years younger!" ... Sounds like Food Babe. There's a reason why she takes so many tropical vacations a year - she's getting rich off of selling people bad information.

Thanks
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Regarding salads: I love eating them; but it's been a bit of an adjustment going from creamy-yummy dressings like ranch/blue cheese to oil & vinegar or balsamic vinaigrette. It's not a deal-breaker, though. I ate a side salad and a "artisan grilled chicken" sandwich from McD's earlier this week and still stayed will within my intake goals. It tasted pretty damn good, too.
  • Razzaz
    Options
    Regarding salads: I love eating them; but it's been a bit of an adjustment going from creamy-yummy dressings like ranch/blue cheese to oil & vinegar or balsamic vinaigrette. It's not a deal-breaker, though. I ate a side salad and a "artisan grilled chicken" sandwich from McD's earlier this week and still stayed will within my intake goals. It tasted pretty damn good, too.

Awesome
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Yeah.... when eating fruit and salad why am I gaining weight

Because there's more calories in three bananas than there is in one cheese burger.
    Agree here. It still comes down to CICO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but your "handful of lettuce" salad had to be more than your aproxx 450-500 calorie mcdonalds meal. 1300 calories of salad is no different than 1300 calories of mcdonalds, sweets, and chips, at least for weight loss. The nutrition in fresh veggies and lean protein is better macrowise, naturally.

It's perfectly okay to eat mcdonalds, i eat drive-through often. Make sure you're weighing/measuring all your food so you know exactly how many calories you are eating.
  • Razzaz
    Options
    Sorry, but your "handful of lettuce" salad had to be more than your aproxx 450-500 calorie mcdonalds meal. 1300 calories of salad is no different than 1300 calories of mcdonalds, sweets, and chips, at least for weight loss. The nutrition in fresh veggies and lean protein is better macrowise, naturally.

It's perfectly okay to eat mcdonalds, i eat drive-through often. Make sure you're weighing/measuring all your food so you know exactly how many calories you are eating.

Ah right a little gem is 15 calories I had less than a little gem... The buggers must have added calories in my lettuce
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Basically I think our bodies just fluctuate. Sadly that doesn't mean that McDonalds is good for us.

You might eat healthy food for a week and lose no weight, then eat a cheeseburger and lose weight the next day. It doesn't mean that cheeseburgers make you lose weight. The week of healthy eating probably still had an impact and the cheeseburger didn't make much difference, particularly as you still weren't over your calories.

Don't over analyse it. We all know how to eat healthy and what is good for us vs. what isn't! ;) You can't cheat biology!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    spyro88 wrote: »
    Basically I think our bodies just fluctuate. Sadly that doesn't mean that McDonalds is good for us.

You might eat healthy food for a week and lose no weight, then eat a cheeseburger and lose weight the next day. It doesn't mean that cheeseburgers make you lose weight. The week of healthy eating probably still had an impact and the cheeseburger didn't make much difference, particularly as you still weren't over your calories.

Don't over analyse it. We all know how to eat healthy and what is good for us vs. what isn't! ;) You can't cheat biology!

Nor is it bad... it's just food with macro-nutrients like any other food.
  • Razzaz
    Options
    spyro88 wrote: »

Thank you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    This thread if frackin' hilarious...
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    No, silly, it's rocket surgery! LMAO.
  • Razzaz
    Options
    Okay so my verdict is my salad had too many calories. The calories on lettuce packets lie and are actually 500 calories not 15 calories

nah

It was probably water weight....

My salads are never 200 calories they are wayyy less

I don't weigh salad but on the packet it says how many calories are in 3 cherry tomatoes or in 2 spring onions etc etc and on my plate it's less than 100 calories apparently so if I say it's 150 calories that's overestimating but that is less than a 300 calorie cheeseburger

I'm guessing the weight loss had nothing to do with the mcdonalds the weight loss was either water weight or I was going to loose it anyway...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Estimate calories a day I consume is 1300
    Had a cheeseburger and salad at McDonald's and lost weight... also ate crisp and sweets that day... I just skipped dinner and my calories were roughly the same

There is nothing special about McDonald's that is leading to your weight loss, and nothing special in the fruit that is leading to weight gain. In fact, I would guess natural fluctuations are at play here and you are seeing it as fat gain/loss.

Eat within your calorie goals to lose weight and you will...lose weight.

When you eat at home, do you weigh your food? Never use generic entries for fruit (1 medium banana, small apple, etc) because they can vastly vary in calorie content. On Monday, my banana was about 175 grams, one this morning was 120 something. That's a big calorie difference.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    ok.....

i eat out all the time and lose weight. your point?

well, i dont eat mcdonalds cause gross but whatever. LOL

Fruit and salad made me gain weight. McDonald's made me loose weight. My point being this doesn't make sense

Depending on how the salad is made, a salad can easily have more calories than a cheeseburger. If you aren't correctly logging what is in the salad, you may be eating more than you think.

In a salad is lettuce tomatoes cucumber pepper spring onion beetroot wow that's more calories than a cheeseburger... don't know any low calorie foods anymore
    NO. The DRESSING is high calorie. If you only eat the vegetables that TINY salad is like 50 calories.

Or if it has a bunch of cheese or bacon or whatever in it.

Nah if I have salad it has nothing but salad no cheese or bacon or dressings. Consists usually a handful of lettuce. 3 cherry tomatoes quarter of cucumber quarter of red pepper 2 spring onions. 5 slices of beetroot... With a glass of water. Fruit wise 2 satsumas a day 10 grapes a day mixed fruit pots from tesco occasionally which can be 100 calories.

If you have PCOS you may also have insulin resistance. Your body's reaction to the carbs in fruits and vegetables can be less positive than to a meal containing lots of protein. PCOS people don't necessarily have to eat less calories than others, they just need to eat high protein and combine protein with the food they do eat. There is a book The Insulin resistance diet by a couple of Mayo Clinic doctors that covers it nicely.
  • Razzaz
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Had a cheeseburger and salad at McDonald's and lost weight... also ate crisp and sweets that day... I just skipped dinner and my calories were roughly the same

There is nothing special about McDonald's that is leading to your weight loss, and nothing special in the fruit that is leading to weight gain. In fact, I would guess natural fluctuations are at play here and you are seeing it as fat gain/loss.

When you eat at home, do you weigh your food? Never use generic entries for fruit (1 medium banana, small apple, etc) because they can vastly vary in calorie content. On Monday, my banana was about 175 grams, one this morning was 120 something. That's a big calorie difference.

Think it must have been water weight. Nah I dont weigh foods.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Think it must have been water weight. Nah I dont weigh foods.

And, end thread.