The Truth About Jillian Michaels

Options

Replies

• Tubtui
    Tubtui Posts: 53
    Options
    I've been a bit disappointed since I saw her in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nm51jyXuVk

I didn't expect her to win that competition but to see her struggling halfway through it was surprising. Bob is really trying to push her through it.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Envy is such a horrible thing.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I miss jack lalane
  • HealthyLeeLee
    HealthyLeeLee Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    You can tell she's pretty fake. She can't even make it through one of her whole work outs. Every second she gets she stops and starts talking about pointless and worthless commonsense "tips". blah blah. She's just really annoying and obviously skinny fat in the vids I saw.

Not to say the workouts are worthless, just that I don't think she can perform them.

While I do agree that some of her comments are pointless, I have yet to do anyone's workout video where the trainer actually did the whole entire workout. Tony Horton in the P90X videos doesn't do the entire workout either.

He does do them, as the entire video from start to finish, in select videos of other series. Ten Minute Trainer and One on One, most notably.
  • BleedsCoffee
    BleedsCoffee Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    While I enjoy her workout DVDs and I find that they've been helpful to me in trying to get in shape, I wouldn't call myself a Jillian Michaels fanatic. She has given her stamp of approval to a number of products that I find to be hinky at best. "Detoxes" and magic pills always make me cringe, but it's common for individuals like Bob Harper, Dr. Oz, Jillian Michaels, etc. who gain status as health and fitness gurus to sell out to some extent, often endorsing products that aren't entirely reliable.

That said, this video appears to be in extremely poor taste. While some of the allegations may be true, most of his statements smack of bigotry and sour grapes. He may have some valid reasons to resent Michaels, but I have a hard time buying most of what he says because of the way in which he says it. The fact that he's moderating the comments so that only those whom agree with and support him are posted strikes me as being suspect too.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I've been a bit disappointed since I saw her in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nm51jyXuVk

I didn't expect her to win that competition but to see her struggling halfway through it was surprising. Bob is really trying to push her through it.

The man had the clear advantage. The step was only 4 inches taller for the man but his legs are way more than 4 inches taller than Jillian's. Proportionally, it was an unfair match. I didn't hear them say what the weight was on the bar, if his was heavier, but the way he handled it, it didn't appear to be. And the lifts they were doing are no joke, she probably does not normally use those muscles. Being able to do endless pushups and planks is not working those same muscles. I went from doing Jillian's workouts to lifting weights, so I can verify that those lifts are not easy for women not accustomed to them.
  • nrsblc
    nrsblc Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    She CAN run. She just doesn't like it thats all. Jillian's videos are designed for ppl having problems with their body, i believe, but that doesnt mean skinny ppl cant do her workouts. If you already have a good body, go try insanity or whatever. Jillian does everything she promises to her followers, so please consider your body's state doing these comments. Everybody doing her workouts ALWAYS get results. Skinny or fat.
  • confetti_blind
    confetti_blind Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat means shes skinny but doesn't have enough muscle definition, especially in her line of work. I just think she's weak. The Idea of the work outs are great for getting most people into shape, but I'm already in shape, and I want a higher level of fitness. She hasn't obtained that higher level and I would never accept her as a coach.

She can't even run... you can watch it on youtube.

I'm betting she is a whole lot fitter than you are. I would bet my life on it. As for her running.... she can run...she just does not LIKE to do so. If you don't LIKE it then you are not going to want to be good at it. Simple as that.

I'm wondering where you get the no muscle def from..... have you seen her? Really? You must be blind.

She's not wanting to be your coach.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It's like people want to choose their trainer based on how *they* personally want to look, not realizing that their body type will never allow them to look like that. Funny how that same standard doesn't apply to the opposite sex. It's quite funny. Hahaha.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    [Skinny fat means shes skinny but doesn't have enough muscle definition, especially in her line of work. I just think she's weak. The Idea of the work outs are great for getting most people into shape, but I'm already in shape, and I want a higher level of fitness. She hasn't obtained that higher level and I would never accept her as a coach.

She can't even run... you can watch it on youtube.
    Yeah, I really hate how she has no muscle tone... :huh:
    fitness-star-jullian-michaels-gets-harley-v-rod-muscle-thumb-26840_2.jpg
  • nrsblc
    nrsblc Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I will have to say that people criticizing her are simply jealous of her beautiful body. I mean, can't you really see those abs, arm muscles popping out of her clothes and the adonis muscles and still saying she has NO definition? If you hate her so much then don't follow her videos. Jesus!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Maybe people are being "protective" because you're being an *kitten*.

I think there's a tad of a difference between me having an opinion about a celebrity trainer and you being personally abusive to another user, don't you?
    But good news MsPudding, the odds of you somehow accidentally getting Jillian's body are nil.

....and another person who responds to an opinion about a celebrity with personal abuse.

Interesting. Still, nevermind, that's why the forum comes with a 'Report Post' feature I guess :smile:

Perhaps you need some assistance with reading comprehension. The poster who said the above about you not being able to accidentally get Jillian's body was not a slam or derogatory comment to you. The comment said there was no way for you to "accidentally" get her body. Meaning, that you wouldn't be able to look like Jillian simply by happenstance - you would actually have to try to look like her. If you don't want to have her shape, good news! You won't have her shape unless you try to have it. I fail to see how that violates the TOS of the forums.

I don't understand the comments about Jillian looking masculine - hello? Boobs! LOL Also, she talked on her podcast about her face being too thin when she was working out a lot and that it was suggested to her that she either have some plastic surgery like procedures (fillers and the like) or gain 5 pounds, so she gained 5 pounds.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Guy claims to have had his movie script Green Lantern stolen in another video. Anyone see a pattern?

Anyway, excess growth hormone does not cause a huge jaw line. There isn't any drug on the market that makes jaw bone huge. That's complete nonsense. Surgery to fix all these problems that he's claiming would have left scars somewhere on the face to shave down her jaw line and cut out her Adam's apple.

• ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I don't give Jillian Michaels much thought. I did perk up my ears one day when somebody brought one of her 'kickboxing' tapes into Fairtex and put it in the VCR. We all sat and watched it for a few minutes. The unspoken understanding in the room was that by the standards of a Muay Thai camp Jillian Michaels, well, doesn't know much and definitely hasn't ever been hit before. But we were all kind of waiting to see what Bunkerd (350 fights, 5 time Thai champion) and Ganyao (332 fights) had to say. Ganyao just kinda got up, snorted and left the room. But Bunkerd was quite kind. He said: She helps spread the name of Muay Thai and awareness of the art to the farang (foreign people) that would otherwise know nothing at all about it.

As a postscript, there are a couple of claims Ms. Michaels makes that, while they may appeal to Americans who don't know any better, appear silly to an expert. For example: claiming to be a black belt in Muay Thai is a bit like claiming to be a black belt in jazz piano. There are no belts, except for a title belt, and you get that in the ring. There are many women who can reasonably claim to be an expert in Muay Thai, but Jillian Michaels is not one of them.
  • zazielascaux
    zazielascaux Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So she's not some squeaky clean angel. I don't think she has ever made herself out to be. She's been pretty open about her own struggles and challenges.

She has never hidden the fact that she has a fairly passionate temper. I think it's kind of refreshing to see a successful woman who doesn't conform too much to stereotypes of what the feminine figure or personality SHOULD be.

She is strong willed, tends to know what she wants and goes after it. And she displays the whole range of human emotions doing so. For which she gets a lot of flak that I don't think an expressive man in a similar position would get.

I think a lot of people respond to her because she is open about her emotions- negative and positive- and that is fairly reassuring. She is pretty consistent and doesn't bottle stuff up. That's kind of easy to read.

Yes, she has slim hips, but I don't think that makes her a man. It does look she has had some cosmetic surgery the last few years, but a lot of high profile women in the media do that.

Bit silly to release a high caffeine pill, but it's not really equivalent to being a murderer.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Guy claims to have had his movie script Green Lantern stolen in another video. Anyone see a pattern?

Anyway, excess growth hormone does not cause a huge jaw line. There isn't any drug on the market that makes jaw bone huge. That's complete nonsense. Surgery to fix all these problems that he's claiming would have left scars somewhere on the face to shave down her jaw line and cut out her Adam's apple.

Run an image search on "acromegaly" to see what excess growth hormone after puberty can do to the jawline. Not that it proves anything about Michaels, of course, but it has been known to happen to bodybuilders who abuse growth hormone.
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't care if it's true. I don't like her. I've never liked her. Her approach to training is awful.