bio_fit wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    what the hell would be wrong with cheese?

and what is "processed cheese"? Isn't all cheese processed????

Cheese itself is processed milk - but I see where you're coming from :)

Processed cheese is where cheese is taken and additional ingredients are added to make a cheese product - for example, Kraft singles and Dairylea.

but you could not make cheese without processing, right?

Of course. But the resulting product (i.e. cheese) is processed milk, not processed cheese. Cheese itself is processed from milk. The term 'processed' is used to describe products where the base ingredient (in this case, cheese) has been blended with additional ingredients. So processed milk = cheese. Processed cheese = Kraft singles. Processed grapes = wine. Processed wine... oh god, I don't even want to think about that :D

As I said, I see where you are coming from and why you might consider it that way, but in this case it's the wrong way of using it. It is perfectly acceptable to say that all cheese is processed. But 'processed cheese' is a specific term. English is an *kitten* of a language :s

so all cheese is processed, right?

Yes, all cheese is processed from milk. But 'processed cheese' is specific terminology with refers to the post-processing product. i.e. Cheese that has had things added.

it is a simple question.

is all cheese processed yes or no???

you seem to be saying yes,but you keep wanting to add a but …

Yes. all cheese is processed.

But not all cheese is 'processed cheese'. That is a specific term that refers to a product where additional ingredients are added to cheese.

The OP was discussing 'processed cheese' and people were struggling with the terminology. I hoped this explanation has helped.

good, so OP eats cheese that has been processed; even though she thinks she does not.

and how do you make any cheese without adding an ingredient to it?????

Correct, she eats cheese that has been processed. But, given the phrasing of her post, I suspect she does not eat 'processed cheese' (description above).

You don't - you add the ingredients to the milk. Then you get cheese.

so then by your own definition of processed cheese being things with "ingredients added" then all cheese is processed, right?

How to up your post count: start a semantic argument on Every. Single. Thread.

hang around here for five years, and you can get your post count up too ..

maybe one day you can play with the big boys.

I was simply pointing out that when OP says "she avoids processed cheese" she is not, because she eats cheese, which is processed.

I'm a HE, by the way. Thanks for all of your help! .....

Well, your profile pic is of two women, and your profile is completely hidden, so I don't think you can blame anyone for that assumption.

Also, you weren't particularly clear in your original post. Basically you just asked for people's 'thoughts about cheese in the diet', and never replied when asked what these 'mixed reviews' were. So people replied, 'yes, eat the cheese'. We gave you lots of thoughts about cheese. Question answered.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Th
    gothchiq wrote: »
    The questions about pasteurized processed cheese food product have been answered. If the answers are ignored, that is not the problem of those who provided them. Some of us do not LIKE that stuff. Therefore we are not going to eat it.

all cheese is processed so you are eating processed cheese. To say anything else is just a ridiculous statement…

so you don't like processed cheese, but you eat processed cheese…?? OK ...

The term "processed cheese" is defined in the random house dictionary as: A mass produced product made of one or more types of cheese that have been heated and mixed with emulsifiers, colorings flavorings etc primarily to retard spoilage and enhance spreadability at reduced cost. Since the term means something I think it is fine to use and the OP has my blessings to not like it.

I personally enjoy both traditional and processed cheeses regularly.