WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2015

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did 1-1/4 hr Jari Love Extremely Ripped 1000 DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Powerhouse Pilates DVD that I got for free (well, I had to pay the shipping). The box says that it's 30 minutes long so I'll probably do it twice.

Went to the post office, then Vince needed to activate his ATM card so did that. Came home and finished sweeping out the garage that I could. As I was pumping up the tires to my bike, the thing that went across my mind was "now I'm a bit like pip"

Sylvia
    - what a creep of a hubby you had there. Glad you got rid of him. Was for the best, so glad you have such a wonderful hubby now. So sorry the pottery show didn't pan out

Kim
    - my purse has a zipper compartment where I keep my phone, too. I don't think it can hold the charger, tho. Anyway, when it's in my pcketbook Vince says that I don't hear it. Sometimes I do...sometimes I don't. I have one pocketbook that has a cell phone compartment on the outside. The bad thing was that I must have put the phone in facing outwards, then threw it in the car (or somewhere). The case cracked. Of course, by then that case was no longer being made.

Mary - when we were looking for our house, we saw some houses that, to me, were like a museum. Some of them had this classical music playing which to me was really stupid. One thing I looked for was a clean house that was, yes, "lived in". When we saw this house, there was a ladder in the foyer. Silly things like that attracted me to the house. Also, the fact that it had about 95% of what we were looking for. So glad your showing went so well. Good for you getting those cookies out of the house

yaniejannie
    - thanks for telling me about Kate and William's baby. I was thinking about it just the other day

Mary - I've had the Arctic Zero ice cream. Vince, who is a confirmed chocoholic, even said that it's very chocolatey. But it isn't creamy. Well, it's made for the lactose intolerant. Has good taste, just not the creamy texture.

Heather
    - The cake is adorable Thanks for posting the pic

Carey - love your quote of the day

lhannon - sounds like you have a good plan for the future in place.

Gin in CA - so sorry about your back. Is the REALLY you in the second picture????

Mary from TX
    - welcome back! Do you mean delete posts on the forum or on the homepage? I have no idea how to do it on the forum but there's a way to do it on the homepage.

Alison - of course you can't move! What with all you do/did

Kim - NP = Nurse Practioner. Have a great time on your vacation

Mary from MN
    - we are in Newton NC, which is at the foothills of the mountains. It gets hot, that I will admit. but it almost never gets humid. As a matter of fact, one time we were moving things into storage and it was 102. I was afraid we'd die (we were moving from PA and at 102 the humidity is unbearable). But we were able to move things because the humidity was so low

Michele in NC
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    [Payne in his catchers uniform. I'll try to catch up with you all in the morning Hugs from Terri in Milwaukee ]https://us.v-cdn.net/5021879/uploads/editor/ks/lk00s3rljz76.jpg[/img]
    9jpfgpd9eyhe.jpg
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Atypicalsmith, I don't know what you mean. I don't have any trouble reading this thread, and don't have to scroll horizontally. What device are you using? I'm on ipad and it works just fine, as do my desktop and phone.

And I like the big pictures.

Sylvia
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the birthday wishes.Violet enjoyed her skating party with her classmates.I enjoyed spoiling my 2 grand daughters,Jaelyn-3 months and Kenzie almost 2 months.Leah who is 2 sang happy birthday grandma.Violet,wouldn`t eat the 1st piece of cake,wanted grandma to have it,since it was my real birthday(her`s is the 5th).Nice time,til DIL fell and broke her wrist.
    One tired grandma.
    hugs jane
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Michele, I talked with my friends about it, and none of us have ever heard of "shaking" in ceramics. There is a thing, however, called "shivering" which sounds a lot like what you describe. Shivering is what happens when the glaze is not compatible with the clay body, and they don't shrink at the same rate and something has to give. Usually the glaze pops off in small sections leaving sharp edges. If it is shivering, then they need to change either the glaze or the clay that the piece is made of so they fit properly. A poor glaze fit can do strange things. I once had a glaze that looked wonderful when it was fired, but months later the bowl split right down the middle, just as it was sitting on the shelf. And that was because it didn't fit the clay. That was not shivering, of course.

http://lakesidepottery.com/HTML Text/Tips/Shivering.html

If there were sort of rounded bare spots that are softer on the edges, it might just be that there was dust on the surface when you painted it and the glaze didn't stick well. I always wipe the piece with a slightly damp sponge to remove any dust, especially if it's been sitting on the shelf for a while.

Do you know if you were using glazes or underglazes? If they were underglazes you normally put a clear glaze over the top. Underglazes wouldn't be shiny and glassy when they are fired. Do you know if they mixed their own glazes or if they used commercial ones? Did they glaze the piece with clear after you finished painting it with underglazes? I don't know how those paint-your-own places work, and I'm curious.

Off to bed now! Good night!

Sylvia
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Katla, so happy that your DH is participating in his health and fitness. I agree that it needs to become a habit.

Pip, it does sound like a busy month for you. Early Happy Birthday, in case I forget. (Like I could. LOL) Way to go on winning your bag of goodies. I don’t care what it is, I just think it’s fun to win.

Terri, I’m just thankful that you weren’t seriously hurt in the accident. Yes, strapping in your purse is a good idea. Way to go on that increased exercise.

Lisa, I guess congratulations are in order for getting laid off? That just sounds so funny. But it is wonderful that you can now do what you want and work on your book.

Carey, I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with to do for fun. I guess dessert is out??

Carol NC, I think it’s great that you are walking a mile at a time. Just because we have some overachievers among us (hee hee) does not diminish what you are doing. I think it’s great and you should be proud.

Jane, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear J a n e. Happy Birthday to you,

Gin, Welcome and congrats on your loss. Fantastic before and now pictures. Come often and keep us posted.

Heather
    , I think the cake is precious. What a grandma!!!

Mary fr Tex, welcome. You will find this a very supportive group of ladies. You just can’t let what hubby or anyone else eats determine or affect what you eat. Would you rather eat or not be fat? Most of us can’t have both unfortunately. Just put your mind to it and don’t think about how hard it is. There is enough low cal food that you won’t have to be hungry. It feels great to go down size after size. Just keep your eyes on the prize. You can do this.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Sorry, ladies but I just can’t respond to the rest of the posts. I did get them all read but I’m about to fall asleep at the keyboard. I love you all and offer congrats to those that have victories and hugs to those that need them. We worked outside today cleaning the screened porch and some of the siding. It was a beautiful day. But I’m wiped out and going to bed.

I wish you all a fantastic day tomorrow. <3

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • SelenaP63
    SelenaP63 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Happy, happy birthday Jane!

Gin, you look great and your new 'do' is adorable :)

Carey - I also appreciated the quote.

Heather - What a fun cake. Sadly, as creative as I am in other areas, I can say in all honesty, that I am the most abysmal cake decorator this side of the Pecos! I so admire anyone who can decorate a cake and make it look lovely.

Katla - Thanks for the info on the mammagram. I had a scare a couple of years ago... long story short, I have cysts. And my lumpy breasts caused me quite a bit of anxiety and I confess that I am reluctant to go back for another because of the Hollywood production that was made last time over the dang things. But I suppose my NP will prevail and I'll have another this year. Now that I'm losing weight and I can tell they're shrinking (picture balloons deflating now) so I'll need to make sure they know about that.

Sylvia - I'm glad you have a fun husband this time around. Got a giggle out of trying to imagine something phallic on his 'hat'.

I've been having trouble with my computer and so put my FitBit in the drawer because computer wasn't cooperating and I've noticed without it I've been floundering. I'm digging it out right now and getting it charged and start again. Thank heaven tomorrow is another day, eh?

And thank you ALL for being so sweet and supportive about all my news! You're the best :)

Selena
    Utah
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I love this group <3

I am 54 and this happened yesterday:

Byrren-and-Roberta-PCSO-Del-Oro-with-Marines-Pullups_zpsscbdphsv.jpg

I was working with my patrol partner and we decided to stop by and chat with the local Marines that had a recruiting booth setup. They had a pullup bar.

My partner and I did pullups with our 35 pounds of gear on. He did around 15. I could do 5 pullups and 10 chinups with my gear. Chin ups are like with an under hand grip and you use more of your biceps and arms. Pullups (pictured) are usually harder and use more of your back muscles.

Anyway I was proud to set the example since 7 years ago I was obese and I've spent most of my life over weight.

Not only that, but I feel my partner and I set a good example for the crowd of high school kids watching us.

I'm proud of who I have become in my 50's!

It's an ongoing lifestyle, like paying a little daily rent every day. Gotta keep it up.

Roberta in California

• californiagirl2012
    Options
    SelenaP63 wrote: »
    OK... I hope you don't mind me sharing this but I'm excited and it's late and who else can I tell?

It was a long day and even though I was away from home, I had a really good day as far as staying on track with eating & such.

Well, got home tonight just before 10pm and checked my email. Copy editor sent part of the book for us to proofread but his opening comment was, "I've been thoroughly enjoying this story. I sometimes have to remind myself to edit it!"

Yay!

Thanks all for listening :)
    Selena
    Utah

This is awesome Selena, both eating and such and hard work on your book with "results" <3<3

• sperrygrass
    sperrygrass Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm Sheila and I'm new to MFP. This looks like a fun place to be. Hope I can join you and keep up lol. I'm 53 and have over 100 pounds to lose. I've done the weight loss thing many times but I'm hoping this time I'll stick to it and keep the weight off. Really feeling it at this age.

My goals will be small to start.

May Goals:
    Track my food.
    Don't beat myself up for not being perfect with this.
    Go up and down my stairs instead of asking my kids to do it for me.
    Walk 10 minutes 3 x a week. (I want to start with more but for now this may be doable).
    Get off my computer and get outside every day.

Glad to meet you!

Edited to add: I love friends so please add me if you want!

Sheila in the Chicago Suburbs
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm Sheila and I'm new to MFP. This looks like a fun place to be. Hope I can join you and keep up lol. I'm 53 and have over 100 pounds to lose. I've done the weight loss thing many times but I'm hoping this time I'll stick to it and keep the weight off. Really feeling it at this age.

My goals will be small to start.

May Goals:
    Track my food.
    Don't beat myself up for not being perfect with this.
    Go up and down my stairs instead of asking my kids to do it for me.
    Walk 10 minutes 3 x a week. (I want to start with more but for now this may be doable).
    Get off my computer and get outside every day.

Glad to meet you!

Edited to add: I love friends so please add me if you want!

Sheila in the Chicago Suburbs

Those are perfect goals Sheila! <3<3<3

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    !WARNING! I went on to this site using my computer at around 1 o'clock this afternoon there was an envelope at the top of the screen on MFP that had a number one flashing. I thought I had a message from someone here. instead it was a scam virus. it locked my computer, it made a loud warning sound and the screen flash said to call this secure number for help. that was the scam. when I called my husband talked to a man and he took over our computer by remote control, we were trusting him he was the scam. he said we needed to purchase malware for security we started to get suspicious. my husband turned off the internet on that computer while talking to him and the man seemed to start to get irate my husband told him that we would have our daughters boyfriend who fixes computers look at it. we did that for the last two hours he took remote control over our computer to remove the virus. if you see an envelope at the top of the MFP screen do not click on it. that is a virus. I will report this and hopefully they will be able to take care of it. Our daughters boyfriend Paul said that this happened quite often. And people give them their credit card number over the phone. They are not really buying security they are losing money off of their credit cards.

I hope this gets to people in time so that you do not go through the same thing I just did.

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    WARNING make sure you read the above message it is a warning about a computer virus scam that I got on this site

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Roberta in CA: I love the picture of you and your partner on the pull up bars. You are a heroine! I can’t pull myself up in my street clothes, much less with 35 pounds of gear on. Welcome to a great group of women. I hope we hear from you often.

Sheila: Welcome to a great group of women. Best advice for success: 1. Log every bite and swallow even if you go over on a day. 2. Move more. This takes time but it works and perfection is not required. It looks like you have the right idea already. Stop by often and participate in the conversation.

Tomorrow is Opening Day in the boating world. Our sailing club will be meeting at an Island across the channel from us, and bringing food to celebrate the start of the boating season. We’re taking fruit and veggie trays, while others will bring their favorite snacks to share and the club will be providing burgers. A few years ago everyone brought chicken. One young girl brought animal crackers and the adults were begging for some. :laugh: We’re better organized now.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back
    strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol. Accomplished but here as a reminder.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Good evening friends -

It is so exciting to see some newbies jump right in and join us! Please keep coming by for a chat when you are celebrating, ranting, or want to encourage others.

Had a productive day working on cleaning out and organizing part of the garage. My husband's grandmother built this old wooden cupboard ( 3' x 6 1/2') I was letting a teacher at school use it but will need to bring it home this May. Now I have room to use it in our garage! YEAH!

Terri -so sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad you're okay. Were you alone in the car?

Sylvia - so the beautiful weather is nice unless you have an art show?!? Too bad it was a low turnout. The desk for your DGS sounds nice. What a good find!

Selena - wonderful news about your book!

MNMary - I made May baskets as a child. We would put in lilacs and other spring flowers, candy, gum, etc. It was always so fund to leave them as a surprise for the neighbor friends. I would have my elementary students make them, too, in my early years of teaching.

Lisa - such a good idea to have hubby hide the scale. My DH hides my small candy stash and when I just have to have a piece he will get one for me!

Heather - the cake is so cute and he will love it!

Katla - glad to hear hubby is going to the gym!

Janet - Did someone say beach trip? Now that I could go for!

Carol - Congrats on all that walking.

MaryAnne - My nephew teaches English over seas. He was in Japan for about 9 years and has been in Hong Kong for about 10. He has taken a year or two off along the way. He loves it but his mom and dad miss him. I don't get to see him much. About 10 years ago he came to visit us and spent a week with me in my 3rd grade classroom. He shared all about his work in Asia and had fun working with my students. At the time he was considering getting his U.S. credentials but nixed that idea.

Cindy - You have come a long way. I like your goals and your outlook. Keep up the good work.

Gin - Welcome! Great before and after pictures.

Jane - Did I remember to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY earlier? If not I am saying it now! Hope it was a great day for you.

Pip - The auction sounds fun. You and K were very generous.

Well, must go. Bed and my book are calling me......

TNToni

• SelenaP63
    SelenaP63 Posts: 61 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks Mary for the heads up! Technology is wonderful but there is so much I don't know, it can be intimidating at times. Hope you got your computer all sorted out!

Sure do appreciate your positive attitude and example Roberta... thank you for your kind remarks, too :)

katla - Your sailing club sounds like a really neat hobby. You must have so much fun out on the water. I'm a Pisces and yet, I think I might be a little *cough* scared *cough* to be out there. Have fun tomorrow!
  • naiomi2015
    naiomi2015 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    HI Everyone,

Back home. Tried to save 1k calories for tonight's reception. I did ok until I got home and DH had brought me a treat. I thought I would eat half but finished it all. Well tomorrow is another day.

exermom Sounds like you do get a good deal of physical exercise. Hope you enjoy your bike.

terri_mom Is this a city or town league. The players look to be adults or young adults.

mollywhippet I don't have any problems w/ pics whether on my phone or laptop. - both are apple products though.

californiagirl Good for you... Looks like you are really enjoying the new you.

sperrygrass Welcome :)

fancy0626 Thanks for the heads up.

Time to call it a night.

Naiomi2015 an a 42F night w/ a full moon in Massachusetts
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Oh, I have a lot of notes tonight!

Heather, I will go with you to France!!!! We will just let your husband stay back home, watch and tend the garden and enjoy his football. Just name the date!!! If I were struggling with icing, I would just give up and eat it all You just have to step back and think if that 4 year old cares whether it is perfect or not. Added......it's perfect. Yes, those pirate candles are small. But they aren't intimidating to a little boy. Pirates can be scary things. Love the palm tree on top that your husband made

Maryanne, I bought my last fitbit at Kohl's and got $20 Kohl's cash. Last night i got an email that I had $5 in Kohl's reward buck so I went today and bought a purse that was 40% off and used my $25 in Kolh's rewards, og the purse for $17!!!!

Lisa, I love your attitude towards life and all of it's challenges. You should be an inspirational speaker. I have asked my husband many times to help me in all the struggles I have such as diet, getting up early enough to get to Sunday School and church and the answer is a big NO. He said the motivation needs to come from within me. He loves to sabatoge my diet also. My family doctor has about 5 NP now. He sued to have just 1 who was a big help but with the emergence of Obama care he had to increase his staff. They are so respectful, are good listeners and just good people. They do pretty much anything he does, physicals, nerve injections, etc. I have never had to have anything removed as in simple office surgeries with them so I don't know if they do that or not. I do like to see him once a year though. He was a family practice resident when I was a nurse so I like to think I helped raise him. When he finished his residency, the hospital was changing their insurance plans and quite bit of the staff chose him as a doctor. That was quite a statement as to what we thought of him a a person and doctor. We can even read his writing! What kind of weekly article do you write for the newspaper?

Gin, are those two pictures really you???? Sure made a difference. Congrats. Good luck with your back

Mary in texas, welcome. Can your trainer of gym not recommend another trainer? It sounds like that if is quitting the profession that he is not happy in it anymore. I think as far as editing your post, it can only be edited within one hour of posting. I just clicked on 'post' to see what it looks like and there is a big looks like what a nut bolt at the top of your post. Click on that and you can edit. I do believe you can not completely erase it or just backspacing, or cut copy delete.you have to leave something. I leave a period or 'oops' or something.

Naomi, what in the world is wrong with a darling little pea????? LOL

Mary Minnesota, an oreo back pack, how heavenly, or is it devilish? Nice of your husband to leave it in the car.

Meg, the graduation ceremony sounds nice. It makes the students feel like they have done something that is special to have it a formal graduation like that. When I graduated from nursing school it was held in a local church that the hospital was affiliated with. We wore uniforms and I can't really remember what the teachers wore. I flunked OB so I couldn't graduate with my class. If you hadn't been able to finish a course due to surgery or an illness you could graduate with your class. You would jsut get an unsigned diploma. I was the first student form the school though that had flunked a course and continued on so they didn't know what to do with me. So I finished up after the next fall semester, even took my boards and was an RN when I graduated the next year after spring semester. Neither the class I started with or the class I actually graduated wanted to claim me as part of their class when it came to reunions. I think that hurt more than having to actually take a course over. Neither of my daughters graduated form college but my son in law did. Him and my daughter went to a small little school in Kentucky called Georgetown College. When you graduated, you all filed through the main building flanked by all the professors. They all knew you by name whether you were in their class or not. Every professor shook your hand and said your name. The President even knew everyones names and would say hi to you by name. It was a good school. My daughters went there also but didn't graduate.

Barbie, I bet your feet were moving along with those cloggers. I can just see you!!!

Sylvia, we are just all going to hop over to your studio and you help all of us make something.

Roberta, you sure don't look like you are in your 50s!!!! Congrats to all you have accomplished. Hope you can get us all looking like that.

Congrats to all the Brits here on the birth of the little Princess. A bit about the journey we are taking'. When you decide to go somewhere, you don't jsut get out of your house, get in the car and go hoping that you will get to the right destination. We plan, map out a route, if we are using a GPS it will tell us 'recalculate' all the time. anyway, there are many stops in our destination. We have to stop and refuel, recheck our map, see if we are going the right way. We even have fun sometimes at each stop. It takes a long time to get there. And there are many menacing voices saying 'are we there yet?' Some of us finally get there and while we are there, we plan on how we are going to stay there. As to the route, some take the interstate, some take the scenic route, but we don't all go the same way. We just want to get to the same place.

Joyce, Indiana, tired, really tired today. Ate so badly I didn't even bother to log it which is so not me.

• fanncy0626
    Options
    WARNING! I got a virus scam on this site. Please read the following post!

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    !WARNING! I went on to this site using my computer at around 1 o'clock this afternoon there was an envelope at the top of the screen on MFP that had a number one flashing. I thought I had a message from someone here. instead it was a scam virus. it locked my computer, it made a loud warning sound and the screen flash said to call this secure number for help. that was the scam. when I called my husband talked to a man and he took over our computer by remote control, we were trusting him he was the scam. he said we needed to purchase malware for security we started to get suspicious. my husband turned off the internet on that computer while talking to him and the man seemed to start to get irate my husband told him that we would have our daughters boyfriend who fixes computers look at it. we did that for the last two hours he took remote control over our computer to remove the virus. if you see an envelope at the top of the MFP screen do not click on it. that is a virus. I will report this and hopefully they will be able to take care of it. Our daughters boyfriend Paul said that this happened quite often. And people give them their credit card number over the phone. They are not really buying security they are losing money off of their credit cards.

I hope this gets to people in time so that you do not go through the same thing I just did.

Mary from Minnesota