WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2015

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
jp6obnvqkhhf.jpgkphmletvioz2.pngddcj2wpuehjp.jpgj2uc9ww0g2bt.jpgbu1km2ioya6t.jpg

It's a brand new month for all of us who are committed to making healthy eating and exercise a way of life.

The name of the thread is Women ages 50+ but all women are welcome to be part of this supportive and encouraging community.

If you had goals for April, how did you do?

What goals have you set for May?

This thread has been around for a long time and there are many of us who have changed our lives as the result of reading and being part of this community.

Please sign your post with your name or alias and your geographic location so we can get to know each other better.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif smiley-happy093.gif

April Resolutions(with end of the month comments)
*15,000 steps a day--fewer than before so I can spend more time with strength training and garden puttering)---successful....my average was higher but on the days when my steps were just over 15,000, it was a relief to not have to push to reach a higher goal
* strength training twice a week- smiley-sport017.gif--better than last month but not twice a week
*finish sorting the slides--finished---I'll make a plan for turning them into digital files next fall or winter
*don't take things personally--this saved my sanity on a regular basis

Resolutions for May
*walk at least 15,000 steps a day
*strength training twice a week
*act the way I want to feel
*work in the yard 30 minutes three times a week
*write the two letters I've been putting off for too long

Replies

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Another fine day here ladies! My class took its final today and that is always exhausting. I’m about as stressed as they are. Did the grocery shopping and for some reason my leg was killing me, so ace wrap, copper fit, 4 motrin, 2 tylenol, ice, elevate….the only thing that helps is to bend my knee severely with my heel up against my butt. 10 minutes of that and it’s fine. Weird.

Lhannon: great nsv for you!

Janet: it’s a good thing that some of us care about where we live!

Naoimi: good news about the cyst

Kim: I didn’t own jeans til I went to college either

Joyce; funny about your daughters. Mine were raised to be very proper in public, but omg DD#1 has no issue walking around in public, in crowds, farting and belching. So yes girls can do it too

Heather; hope you had fun with the friends

Gilly: have a great trip

Lisa: I love the book title

Lisa: my sil is the retired state of TN historical librarian. I can’t think of the exact title

Katla: I saw a documentary a couple of years ago about the premier sushi chef in Japan, he has the title “Living Legend”. His tiny restaurant is in the subway station in tokyo and you need to make reservations a year in advance. It was a great movie….[name] Dreams of Sushi…can’t recall his name

Carol: cute story!

Jane when is your bday? Mine is coming right up…the 8th

Terri: there is hope for your back. I had 2 bulging discs in the early 90s and today they rarely bother me…no treatment other than pt, and the occasional muscle relaxer, especially for long plane trips like to Russia! Lots of crunches are what really did the best

Vicki: sounds like you have a couple of busy days coming up

Mary: I was jus about to sign up for lessons when my knee issue happened. You should have seen the look on the ortho doc’s face when I told him I wanted to try it!

Margaret: great pics!

Lind: I didn’t read about your situation but do think when one spouse doesn’t want to go with the other that compromise is best, but if that’s impossible…go anyway and have a blast!

Sylvia: not quite the same thing but my mom used to have an antique shop and she specialized in depression glass which we packed, unpacked, and hauled all around to shows

Tina: feel better soon

Well tomorrow is our graduation so I’ll be home later and may not get on so see you Saturday at the least. My only new goal for may is to increase my steps to 8,000/day. At this point that will require planning; I can usually get to 7500 so I’ll have to work for this one.
    Take care, Meg from Omaha

PS State Historian Archivist...that was her title!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Transform Your Body by Brooke Burke DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones DVD.

Meg - I can't help but wonder where Tanya was taught to feed the baby flat. Well, asking her you're not going to get anywhere so just pray for the baby. That's probably about all you can do. happy early birthday. Have fun at the graduation.

Put a load of laundry in to wash, now it's in the dryer. I volunteer at the Green Room later and then I want to go to IGA to get one package of silken tofu. Update: they didn't have the silken, hope they haven't discontinued it but are just out of stock right now

lhannon
    - I didn't realize when you had WLS that there are foods that you can never eat again, I always thought it was that it had to be in moderation. What kinds of foods can't you ever eat again? Why doesn't your NP want you in the "normal" BMI range? Do we have another writer amongst us?

pip
    - you never cease to amaze me. I know that I couldn't run a marathon (the knees wouldn't take it). Good for you!

Kim - but if I use the silken tofu in the pie, will it firm up enough? That's my concern. Now the firm tofu will.

Joyce
    - I HATE jeans with an elastic waist all the way around. One time I bought a pair of shorts (only because I had to) but I've since cut them down so I can use them as "work" shorts. However, I like jeans that come up to my waist, I just feel so uncomfortable in jeans that are low rise. I need shirts in petite sizes and they usually aren't long so I want to be sure that my stomach is covered.

Last night got the second coat of paint on the shell of the snail.

naiomi - feel better fast

Yesterday Vince and I cut down this crepe myrtle tree that was by our garage. I really want something that blooms early in the season, not late. Then today we took down this rose bush that was next to the garage. Why someone would put a rose bush next to a garage is beyond me. Well, I guess if you liked rose bushes you'd like seeing them. To me, rose bushes have thorns. These thorns can scratch my car, and I don't feel like having my car scratched up. So for years I've wanted to get rid of that bush. Well, today we cut it down, then tonight we went to Lowe's Hardware and got some Ground Clear and some RoundUp. Tomorrow we'll probably drill a hole in the base of this bush and put some of the ground Clear in it. There are some weeds around where the bush was so we'll probably use the RoundUp there because we don't want to kill another bush near there. Then we went to WalMart, I only needed a few things.

prarie
    - welcome! You might want to weigh yourself so that you have a base from which to keep track

Kim - you truly touched my heart.

Linda from GA
    - we're so glad you found us. Just jump right in

Sylvia - what causes "shaking". My praying mantis had it the last time it was fired. What causes that?

Tina from MD - hope you feel better fast. Sending virtual chicken soup your way

Michele in NC

ln6wpi7ammsk.jpg
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie! My April goals were,
    April goals :
    Make healthier food choices
    Stronglift 5x5, 3 times / week
    Move more sit less
    Drink 8 glasses of water
    Decrease cardio to 0 - 45 minutes on stronglift days
    Decrease cardio to 0 - 60 minutes on non-stronglift days
    Coconut oil pulling 4-7 days /week
    Word - prioritize
    Quote - I - Know - I - Can

I accomplished all of my goals except decreasing cardio to only 60 minutes on non-stronglift days. If I go swimming I don't feel it is hard enough to count, so I do another exercise. I'm afraid I will gain weight!

I'm going to keep these goals for May. I think I will have success if I am consistent.

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Meg, I think hauling depression glass around to shows is exactly the same thing. Heavy stuff!

Michele, I've never heard the term "shaking" in ceramics. What do you mean?

For those of you who were discussing the dangers of selling/buying on Craigs List, I saw this on our local facebook. The police station set up a special place for those kind of transactions. Great idea! It might be hard if you were dealing with furniture though.

dk2gr0i3jgf4.jpg

Sylvia
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    ns78kya7bt2g.jpg
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    q64qb8dcmm3n.jpg

You ladies are going to be sorry that I learned how to take a picture off Facebook!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Margaret: The photos at the museum are wonderful and I enjoy all of them but the green horse is my favorite. Is it I'm guessing it is bronze. Is it Chinese?. Thanks for sharing.

Cynthia: Sending hugs and support. I’m sorry your last day wasn’t better. Mine wasn’t a thriller, either, but that was several years ago and I like retirement.

Kim: I miss my dad, too. He also died with heart disease, but it wasn’t an attack that killed him. His heart had a hole next to a valve and they didn’t have the ability to fix it surgically back then. It was a long time ago. The Berlin wall came down the summer after he passed.

Prarie: Weigh yourself so you can brag later on about how much you’ve lost. :wink: You don’t have to share the starting weight with anyone, but you’ll be thrilled when you can say I’ve lost xyz pounds. Being able to see progress helps you to believe in yourself and stick with it.

Mary: I bought my last iphone from the telephone company, and they tried to talk me into less memory because that is what they had in the store. I made them order me the one I wanted and ship it to my house. I prefer to deal with Apple when possible.

Notfbam: Welcome to a great group.

Sylvia: Good luck at the pottery show. I hope you enjoy your friends and sell every pot you take.

Tina: Feel better.

Thanks for starting our new thread, Barbie. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Here are my April goals, with comments:

April Goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow. Doing great.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength. Exceeded since I started going to Zumba two days a week with my neighbor. I actually ride a spin bike while she dances, so I’m up to Cardio exercising 5 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day. I love this goal. It has improved my whole life and I make it 99.9% of the time.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more! Still flaky, but I make 3 glasses most days. I tend to drink soft drinks too much of the time.
    5. Eliminate alcohol. Done. This is under control.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly. I make this goal nearly all of the time and it has really made my life better.

My goals for May are below my signature. They may seem familiar. :laugh: If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol. Accomplished but here as a reminder.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Happy May Ladies,

Barbie, thank you for the new month and for the continuation of a wonderful group of ladies.

Carol, that is cool that you saw the church friends on your walk. I know that sometimes I’m just not in the mood to cook, so I understand about last night. I’m picturing you “speed walking” on your way home.

Lisa, you aren’t alone on the pear shape. I just don’t really think it’s fair that some have great shapes and some of us don’t. Just like some have oversized boobs and some of us are undersized. I mean I don’t want everyone to look alike but it could be spread out a little more evenly.

Jane, I hope you enjoyed your lunch. When day is the big day?

Heather, welcome home. I hate that your friend kept putting her hubby down. That does make you feel uncomfortable. Grungy or not, good that she noticed what a sexy and glamorous woman you are.

Terri, sorry about the rear end. Were you hurt? And how is the car? You know we want more details than where you phone was. Thanks for the reminder about the alternator and yes it’s all been checked out.

Vicki, I hope you enjoy the concert and visiting with your friends. I used to get up at 5:00 when I worked, but gosh 4:30 sounds early.

Prarie, welcome. This is a great place for support and lots of information. Now (this is support) get on that scale, so we can all celebrate with you when you start to lose. (And “ditto” to what Pip said.)

Margaretturk, I love the pictures of the flowers with the statues. Glad you had a nice day.

Linda, sorry you got the response from hubby. It would be nice if he would “get a life”, but really ashamed that he doesn’t want you to have yours. You go girl.

Lesley, I’m glad you remembered that Blaize is just a puppy, because I wouldn’t want him to get in the dog house.

Mary, I’m going to give you my DH’s nickname: Poor Devil. Can anything else go wrong while you try to get a phone. Good Grief, Charley Brown. I hope you like the phone.

Allison, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you on the kitchen reno. It sounds like a nice but very busy day.

Linda, welcome. Yes this is a great group of very supportive women. Join right in and keep up the good work.

Maryann, glad you have found a workout that you enjoy. I may check it out to do on alternate days. Thanks.

Sylvia, I loved your whole post. The joke was funny but you and your steam and mirror and deodorant are even funnier. Thanks. I wish you great success at the show. It is a lot of work to not have a good turnout. (fingers crossed for scattered showers) Also glad to know the garlic works. We haven’t had any ants this year (knock on wood) but now I know what to do if they appear.

Tina, sending healing wishes your way. I hate it when my head is so clogged I feel like I’m in a cloud.

Meg, I hope your leg gets better fast. Try not to work too hard tomorrow. Hopefully after that you will be able to relax a bit.

Michele, why do you buy shirts in petite if they aren’t long enough? Are the misses sizes too long? Are you going to plant something new where the roses were? If it’s where you pull the car in, I don’t know that I would want any plants there.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

DH took me to lunch today. We ate at Moe’s and I have to say it was delish! I had the taco salad without the shell, but pretty much everything on it. When I calculated it, I think it came to over 600 calories. So, I will just have a light dinner, no biggie. I did savor every bite. It is still quite cool out, so don’t think I’ll be sunbathing this afternoon. I did actually want to get a bit before the cruise so I won’t burn. I always use sunscreen so I’m sure I’ll be okay.

Since we’ve had such mixed reviews about Vegas, how would everyone like to come to Myrtle Beach? It has miles of beach to walk on, pools at every resort and tons of shopping for those that are into that. Just a thought.

I hope we all have a happy and successful Month of May. <3

The thought for the day:
    Success is a state of mind. If you want success, start thinking of yourself as a success.
    - Dr. Joyce Brothers

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Yes I think I will just start right here.... Didn't have time to check all last weekend - busy scrapbooking Yes it was a blast. Then came three days of work. Today ...company books and a hair cut....walk my dog..

Now I am off to find my May calendar and set my goals for the month

Good night ladies

Lillian in west Central Saskatchewan
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Wow - so many posts the last two days!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,637 Member
    Options
    So I forgot to mention about the phone and where to put it when driving... I had a friend in a roll over accident, she walked away but the car caught fire and everything was gone... the fire fighter told her that they suggest putting the seatbelt through the handles of your purse then it is right there, doesn't go flying if you step on the brakes and no one can reach through a window and take it... I have been seat belting me and my purse together for a couple of years now and it has been so convenient so many times.

smiles Kim
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,637 Member
    Options
    PS thanks Barbie for getting us started again!!!!!!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Janet - I would love to go to Myrtle Beach! I've always wanted to visit there. I don't want to try the phone until I get the OtterBox because with the way things are going I would probably drop it! Lol

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Sylvia - I meant to tell you to have fun at the show! Thanks for the humor!

Mary from Minnesota
  • SelenaP63
    SelenaP63 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    OK... I hope you don't mind me sharing this but I'm excited and it's late and who else can I tell?

It was a long day and even though I was away from home, I had a really good day as far as staying on track with eating & such.

Well, got home tonight just before 10pm and checked my email. Copy editor sent part of the book for us to proofread but his opening comment was, "I've been thoroughly enjoying this story. I sometimes have to remind myself to edit it!"

Yay!

Thanks all for listening :)
    Selena
    Utah

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie!

My goals for May are

Keep on logging and exercising to stay on maintenance.
    Attack the pile of admin in the office and file it. Do my rental accounts.
    Do something for publicity 3 times a week.
    Decide on a new writing project.
    DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD! (Had to remind myself of that one during a few sleepless nights this month! ! !) :laugh:

OK my lovely ladies who have read my book and enjoyed it - would you go back onto Amazon and write a nice review for me. A couple of lines would be hugely appreciated by me. :flowerforyou:
    I think some of my neurosis around the book is subsiding. Most of you have survived it and lived to tell the tale. <3 Today I got a nice email back from my old line manager at City Lit, an adult education college where I taught creative writing. She is still there and is circulating the news. The other colleges I taught at haven't replied yet, but I left 10 years ago to get married.

Looking forward (¿¡¿¡¿¡) to getting back to my exercises today. My friend in Nottingham was barely shuffling about and just wanted to sit by the radiator. Sad. I was very conscious of being able to walk and get about easily even with luggage. And I do moan a lot about minor aches and pains. It's things like going on a journey, rushing through tunnels dragging luggage, climbing up steps with bags and the long drag uphill go the hotel that make me realise how far I've come! The newer ones amongst you don't know that I was virtually crippled and largely immobile with my weight and joint pain. This is nearly 3 years ago now. My life is transformed. So every morning when I moan about "torturing an old lady" I must remember how far I have come and how it is immeasurably worth it!

Love to all. Must take DH up a cup of tea!

Heather UK

27681614.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Lisa, I have been sitting here thinking about possible names. The I read your song for the day. Here are smome suggestions, 'GBS, victory over obesity, a fight to win', 'GBS, taking back my life'. 'GBS, it's my life and I will win', 'GBS, the good the bad and the ugly'. Good luck on all your books you have on the back burner. I learned more in your short post than I ever did from my SIL and my daughter's friend. From what you said my SIL had the lap band. She followed the diet religously at first and really lost the weight. Then she gradually lost eh desire. She drank a lot of soft drinks, ate junk food, stopped taking her supplements and gradually starved herself although she was eating. She ended up at about 70 pounds, bed sores, skin and bones and metabolically she was in critical condition. The doctor gave her about a 40% chance to live. So they had to take the bank off and she weighs more now than she weighed before her surgery. But she did it to herself. Daughter's friend looks and feels great. She is cold a lot, are you?

Selena, will these people be graduating from your program? If so it is a time of celebration and you will be seeing them in your daily lives now because they are rehabilitated.

Heather, it sounds like your friend has some self esteem problems given the way she dresses and treats her husband.

Mary, Minnesota, my husbands ego would be forever injured if I had some one from my church or anyone help with yard work. He can still do it. And he feels anyone who goes to church is a hypocrite because they are still sinning although they go to church. He has some bad feelings regarding 'church people'. We have talked about it and he knows the time may come when he can't do the yard work due to progression of his Parkinson's. But until that time he will still do it. We do hire out for home repairs, etc.

Lesley, so sorry about Blaize and Mildreds bench. He is a puppy and he didn't know. When we had a puppy, we never knew what he would do. One day I came home and he had removed the heel off of every single pair of high heels. One day it was the skirt off of our couch. That was when we bought a crate for him for when we were gone. He grew to love that crate. If there was an arguement in the house he would go get in it. At 11 PM, he would put himself to bed.

Allison, I would have been tired after just the first paragraph. Then you went on!!!

maryanne, on the issue of what fitbit to buy. Money may be an issue. But I guess for me it would be whether or not you take any medicine that lowers your heart rate. It doesn't matter what kind of cardio you do, you are not going to get that heart rate enough to warrant buying one of the HRM. Good luck.

So Sylvia, you are not only an ant watcher but you are such a hot momma that you steam up a mirror just by looking at it!!!!! Glad you hav erealized that you need to have some Sylvia time. Good luck on your ceramic meet.

Meg, is this a big enough college you have to wear your own schools gown and gown and whatever the thing is you wear. I know it's not called a sash but you put it around your shoulders. Or is it just PHD professors that have to wear that. Or can you just sit and enjoy seeing your students graduate knowing you have made a difference in thier lives and they willl continue your legacy by making a difference in other peoples lives.

Michele, I don't like the low rise either. I do like the midrise, of course I have to buy undies that fit the midrise. My dress slacks are all waist high.

Kim, seat belting the purse and phone. That is a great idea. I know when my daughter was in a rollover wreck, that was the first thing my now teenage grand daughter thought. Oh, I have lost my phone!

Speaking of graduation, my sister's grandson is graduating form high school at the end of the month. It is a big school, will be held outside in the football stadium and his last name starts with a W. That will be one long wait. my back is better today but I hadn't been able to fine tune my house cleaning for my brother coming. So I have done that now. My sister and her husband wants to go to Cheddar's tomorrow night for supper. I really don't want to but I know my husband loves that place. I will probably get a grilled chicken strips childs plate.

Joyce, Indiana

• Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Friday and been a GOOD Day
    Food = 1773
    Training: JM BR cardio, BFFM 2nd day of 3 day split (legs) BH Ripped core and walk dog 2 miles this afternoon = 610 cals
    We called into Susan's for Blaize to play with her 2 dogs, ran him ragged. Hope he sleeps well.
    Stan has gone to pick up our car from garage, needed some repairs, we had a loan car.
    My training schedule for Tom/s 98 day May challenge
    TRAINING
    before breakfast Cardio
    1 hour aftyr breakfast Cirtuit and/or
    Weights and/or
    Core
    Afteroon 1 hour dog walk

Lesley in Tasmania
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi everybody, ate too much yesterday and went to bed too late, but I'm here!

Meg: hope your leg is better. Your sil was the TN historical librarian?? <antennae up>

Katla: thanks for the kind words. There's some kind of party at the end of the month for me and one other person, but it was very strange to put my few personal items in a bag and just leave. Luckily the new job still seems good.

Kim: what a great idea to put the seat belt through the purse strap. (Hopefully the purse doesn't hit you in the face.) I usually have my phone in my coat pocket, but in the summer I'd need something else. Maybe a small purse or something. My dog sometimes sleeps in my bed too, if my guy's not there. It's especially cozy on cold nights. :)

I may go order new prescription sunglasses later; the ones I have are with my previous prescription. And I think I need a couple of tops for work, unfortunately in the larger size for now. I do notice I need to dress "neatly" more often, now that I'm working more in the city instead of at home.

Hope we all have a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,734 Member
    Options
    morning friends~working 9-5 today, so will have tot take the boys out right before I leave..Tom leaves after about 10 this morning for his ride back home. should be home sometime tomorrow night..
    alot to do before then, have to have the house in good shape before he gets home,plus mow the front lawn..