WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2015

Options

Replies

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Selena: So sorry I missed your compliment from your copy editor, and it was a HUGE compliment. Congrats, here's hoping the book's a monster success!

Today's mini-success, got my flex/core work in before my run, which is the determining factor--just can't seem to convince myself to do it after. Also bumped the hand weights that I carry while I run from 2 lbs. to 3.5 lbs, and made it 2.7 miles. Now pardon me while I go get more proofing done on this book...promised myself I'd do 50 pages a day 'til it's done, and holding myself to it.

I may be the happiest person in the world about being laid off. Trying not to be, I swear. But budgets don't scare me, and I want to be writing what I want to write so much more than writing business proposals! :blush:
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Mary: Thanks for the support, you're right the first 3 goals are the most important. I have to remember that!

Selena: Congrats on the positive comments from the editor.

Heather: I look forward to the days when I can walk up and down stairs without pain. You give me hope :smile:

Lillian: Enjoy that greenhouse!

Katla: So glad that you and hubby will be at the gym together! What do you do to have fun everyday? I could use some inspiration!

Pip: Woo Hoo... I never win at anything either...maybe your luck it be a changin?

Terri: 6 lbs loss...WAY TO GO! Is the 20 lb thing going to be from everyone's original weight or weight from today?

Like Beth, I would like to make sure that I have some fun everyday. I need to find a new way to recharge and refill my tank. Any ideas would be appreciated. I need to come up with a plan so that I can set a realistic goal. Did you know that stats say that only 6 - 10 % of people complete goals that they want to do? Apparently having a plan increases the success rate. B)

Thought for the day: “You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream.” – C.S Lewis

Carey - Edmonton
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,324 Member
    Options
    Lisa - the reference is different for amazon.com, but it is easy to find

Go to Amazon, then to Books on the dropdown menu, then type in Windows Heather Eyles and that should do it. There is also an Author Page. :)
    It is Literary Fiction, so not always a comfortable read, but a chink of light at the end. :laugh:
    The ladies on here have been so kind and helped me through my considerable angst. :flowerforyou: Love them. <3

I definitely think you should go with the gastric op idea. You have the right tone for an inspirational book. :drinker: So many people will want to read it.

Heather UK
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Carey - we all got re-weighed today, so we are all starting from scratch, and that includes our newest employee (my work-out buddy). I hope this makes her more motivated, because she had a bag and iced latte from McDonalds again today. I am excited about starting from the beginning, even if my beginning is 6 pounds lighter than everyone else. Today I was able to go 8 minutes on the handbike before I could no longer tolerate the back pain, that's twice as long as yesterday.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! ! Terri in Milwaukee
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    We went to DGD's school show last evening.. It was different then I was expecting. It was grades K-6th. They did a musical of Dr Seuss. I was very impressed and you could tell they had all worked very hard on it. Meeting up with our friends didn't work out this time.

Terri--Sorry to hear about your accident. Are you ok? I pray the muscle relaxers work for you to get some rest.

Margaret--Thanks for sharing the pictures. Sounds like a nice day.

Cynthia--Sending hugs.

Lesley--Hugs!

Tina--Hope you feel better soon.

Barbie--Thanks for keeping us going with the new month. You are the BEST!!

Sylvia--I agree that space to exchange things is a great idea. More towns need to do that.

Kim--Interesting idea about the seat belt and your purse. I have to try that.

Selena--Congrates on the good review of your book.

Time to get some work done. Hope everyone is having a nice day and taking time for yourself. I am going to keep the same goals for May and take it One Day at a Time.

May Goals
    Trust God
    Log everybite- big and small
    no snaking after 8:30pm
    No computer after 9pm
    Look for Joy and Blessings each day.

together we can do this.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Lisa, you said basic training? What branch? When were you in? I was Air Force from 1973-1980.

Ok, I just read more. You were Air Force too! When did you get out?

Sylvia
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Happy first day of May! Hope it's a great month for all and that we accomplish our goals.

Somehow I missed reading the last comments for April and now I'm lost about what some of you are discussing. I know that Blaize did a puppy no-no, Terri was in a fender bender, Selena got a great message from her editor, and so forth.

Evidently, I caught a cold from my grandson who spent the night last weekend. Started with a bad sore throat and has developed into sneezing and coughing until my ribs hurt.

Manage to walk a mile 5 days in a row. I checked on how many steps are in a mile and the article said an average of 2,000. So, I would have to walk 5 miles to do the 10,000 + that you guys do. :'(

Carol ~ GA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Carey: Regarding daily fun, I like a lot of things so I’ll give you a random sample: watching hummingbirds at my feeders, yoga, going to the gym, walking the dog, visiting neighbors, tending my tiny garden, going out to lunch with DH, horseback riding (which starts again next week), reading almost anything but especially romances, boating including the hard work of washing the boat, regularly visiting this group of women. . .There are a lot of little things so I have many to choose from every day. I can usually squeeze several into my day. Good luck with building your own list.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Sylvia, we were US Air Force at partly the same time... I was in 1979-83, got out as a Sgt, after marrying an AF Sgt in 1980. He retired in '98... we met and married at Lakenheath RAFB, then it was Montana-Malmstrom, then back to England and Greenham Common RAFB, then Colorado-Lowry AFB, then Nellis AFB in Las Vegas was our last assignment. He retired there, and I went back to school there and got my BA. Texas A&M offered me a fellowship, so we headed there afterward for my master's work.

Heather in UK, thank you for the encouragement! I'll go looking for the book. I'm an omnivorous reader, though my written "voice" probably doesn't necessarily show that. I look forward to it.

Carol - you'd be surprised how fast steps add up. I work at my desk all day, and without setting foot outside, just in my usual trying to find my coffee cup and going back and forth in the house, put in 3,000 to 4,000 steps. That said though, I'm trying really hard (and what you've said is a good reminder for me) to focus less on distance compared to other people, and just focus on going further than I did the day before, and working out five minutes more than last week. Hope you feel better soon. Colds are miserable, and coughs are just the worst. :persevere:

I, on the other hand, did NOT make my goal so far to get any proofing done today, :flushed: as my beloved took full advantage of me not working and whisked me off to town with him to get some bits and pieces he needed to fix a vehicle and a generator. The ranch owners are fine if he takes me along and I do our personal errands while he's doing ranch business.

Pretty cool that he works for people that understand that the isolation can take its toll, and bend over backwards to help make it better. They're pretty awesome folks. Of course, we're the only married couple left but one--and she lives in Amarillo (a couple hundred miles away) and he lives here. Everyone else seems to end up divorced. We started our second year here in December, and for us, it's heaven. Takes all kinds, I guess. Helps that we really like each other, as well as loving each other.

Lisa in West TX
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,132 Member
    Options
    Happy May Day ladies.

Lin
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the May start, Barbie.

We have been rainy and chilly, barely made low 50's today. They are already talking about a tropical system that may form and affect us here in the mid-Atlantic next week.........not ready for hurricanes yet!!!!

DD is working her fifth day of 12 to 14 hrs. so I have a lot of time with Gemma. Tomorrow she only is supposed to work 7am to noon.

Welcome new posters and congrats to anyone with a loss or NSV or other great news (Selena!).

I had over 200 posts to skim; been sluggish and just w/o energy, just completely drained; haven't touched the computer for days. Sleep is short and broken. My friend did head out of state to one of their other homes and that may badly affect her position in the divorce when it comes to court. We've had some long talks, all depressing. The slimeball has already moved his piece of trash in to their home. I'm still in shock, they have well over 45yrs. together and are both late 60's. She should end up a wealthy woman when it's all over, but the fight will be exhausting............hopefully more so for him.

Taking care of a neighbor's dog and cat; she's in Fl. this week.

Margaret........Thanks so much for the beautiful flower pics!!!

Cynthia..........LOVE the look on that fox's little face!!!

On Monday I ended up taking Gin's DH to his dr. appts.........not quite sure how I gained that job, but it went smoothly, although he insisted we eat lunch out which I would have been glad to skip but he's been pretty housebound so afterward took him for a little ride. He's using a cane now. Hard to believe she's been gone 6 months. Took him carrot cake and ham and bean soup.

I remember the Maypole!!!! It was a big thing to go to the football field in town as an elementary student and watch the high school girls weave around it! The tradition was gone by the time I got to h.s.

Someone mentioned Myrtle Beach, I lived in Charleston but never made it up there; now I'm too far north for a day trip. Still on my list!

Hope everyone has a very successful May!!!

yanniejannie

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!son took his fiance`s mom ,her brother and myself to lunch.her mom has the same birthday as I do-May 2.
    We went to Buffalo wild wings,not my choice,but it was about the people there.Had a nice time.
    Tomorrow is Violet`s birthday party,she said we can share birthdays,even tho her actual b/day is on the 5th.She invited her friends in her class to a skate party,this grandma is NOT skating,just watching from the sidelines.My daughter and GD from In are coming in and my son with the 2 girls will be there.so ill see all my kids for my birthday.Daughter`s prom is tomorrow too.Busy busy .
    Talked to mom today,sounds good.Hope to see her someday soon.
    In case I get busy with the celebrations,Have a great week-end.
    hugs jane
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    jane.........A very happy birthday to you and the wonderful Violet!!!!! Hope your DD has a great time at prom!
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Saturday and woke to rain. Fruit trees losing all their leaves now it is autumn
    Food cals HIGH at 2066. Pizza for lunch and home-made pasta bolognese for dinner. Choc treat this evening
    Training is JJ Cardio Dance, Day 3 of 3 day weigh split (arm and shoulders) JJ Belly Blast this morning. Walk this afternoon in rain gear. Will log later.
    I NEED 10,000+ steps a day from now on
    This morning Blaize's tail hit the tree indoors and he was just about to snap at it, oh dear.
    Car was only $225.65, less than the quote
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

the elimination diet:
    "Remove anger, regret, resentment, guilt, blame, and worry.
    Then watch your health, and life, improve."

Dr. Charles, CoachMD

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Walking with my frisky poodles is always fun for me even when they find too many things to bark at.

smiley-happy110.gif Line dance class was great fun today. There were several brand new dancers and they all had great attitudes and a willingness to learn. We did both easy dances and hard ones and laughed a lot.
    smiley-cool05.gif Selena, congrats on the good words from the editor. Good work is its own reward but good words from others makes it even better.

smiley-bounce013.gifJake finished making the plans for our trip that's coming up. We're going to North coastal California where we used to live and will see friends and kids and grandkids. He just decided that we would take our time driving home and go up the Oregon coast and enjoy the scenery. I have been grieving missing four line dance classes, but as the time gets closer, I'm feeling better about the trip.

smiley-bounce015.gif.Linda, thank you for all you are sharing about your journey with weight loss surgery.....I think writing a book about your experience would be awesome.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif17,000 steps today--two hours of dog walking, line dance class, an hour on the exercise bike194904olsgis3xqe.gif
    smiley-sleep012.gif Early to bed tonight to be up extra early in the morning.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif

Resolutions for May
    *walk at least 15,000 steps a day
    *strength training twice a week
    *act the way I want to feel
    *work in the yard 30 minutes three times a week
    *write the two letters I've been putting off for too long

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

146200.png
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,775 Member
    Options
    Jane ... Happy Birthday!

Selena ... wonderful news from your editor!

Terri ... glad you weren't seriously hurt!

Pip ... I thought I'd look up May Pole history to share with you and then got more of an education than I bargained for. It seems our innocent little dance has Celtic pagan origins. Read that the May pole was representative of a phallic symbol??? And the female dancers weaving around it .... ok ... I can't go any further ... did NOT learn this in 4th grade!

Today I met my goals ... which was an NSV since BJs Wholesale had a sample vendor at the end of every aisle ... passing up the Magnum bars and the brownie samples took all my willpower!

Katla ... thanks for the "fun" suggestions ... I was without responsibilities this afternoon and enjoyed my time shopping two estate sales. Beautiful day just driving to parts of town I usually don't go.

Beth in WNY
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    4 Ride hm 2 gym- 13.28min, 13.1amph, 2.9mi = 91c
    stair climber- 20min, 170aw, 4.7floors per min, 853feet, 95floors, Trans America Bldg in SF = 137cal
    Ride gym 2 wk- 52.35min, 12.9amph, 11.3mi = 440c
    Ride dome 2 hm- 15.23min, 10.1amph, 2.6mi= 181c
    total cal 849
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did 50 minutes of Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Jari Love's Extremely Ripped 1000 DVD

Sylvia - when they put my preying mantis into the kiln the last time, it came out where the paint (it looked like) chipped off in places. I had to touch up those places with acrylic paints, then they sprayed it and I could take it home. They called it "shaking". What a great idea to have a public exchange area! We have ants outside between where the driveway starts and the walkway to the front door ends. I didn't have garlic cloves, put I did have some garlic powder so I put that down. I wonder if it'll work to keep those ants away? My worst fear is that they'll find someplace else to inhabit

prarie - I so agree with katla and janet. Weigh yourself so you can brag how much you lost! That'll give you incentive to continue losing. Besides, it give us reason to celebrate, and you wouldn't want to deny us, would you?

Janet - I have to buy petite size shirts so that they fit me under the arms and across the bust. Occasionally I can get a misses shirt, but they are usually too baggy under the arms. And there is NO WAY I can get a sleeveless shirt in anything other than a petite. When they make petite shirts, everything (including the length) is made a bit smaller. You're wise to get some sun before your cruise. I'm a big one for sunscreen. If you want a hot stock tip, invest in a company that makes sunscreen. It goes thru the roof with me alone. Myrtle Beach certainly works for me. Do you know that that's one place I've never been to? One of the reasons is because Vince is on one medication where he's not supposed to be in direct sunlight

Kim - thanks for telling me about the seatbelt thru the pocketbook. I never thought of that, but it certainly makes sense. I know someone posted on facebook about how your pocketbook can get taken while you are out pumping gas and I've always thought of that when we go to FL (my gas tank is on the passenger's side). I can just imagine someone sneaking over to my car and taking my pocketbook. That's one reason I keep all my doors locked. But it certainly makes good sense to seatbelt your pocketbook, especially when traveling alone. I have a question...when we drive to FL I many times have my phone out of my pocketbook on the charger on the seat next to me. What would the firefighters recommend so that the phone doesn't fly around in the car? I was thinking of putting it on top of my pocketbook, but then the pocketbook would have to be open.

Selena - what a wonderful comment!

DeeDee
    - after this month, you'll certainly have time to drive to Newton....just sayin'. Just think...we can lounge around the pool.

Mary - when we were showing our (second) home, I happened to make some cupcakes right before the realtor got there. In talking to her, she said that one of the best things to do is to have made some cake/cookies/cupcakes. Give the house a "homey" smell. Best of luck to you.

Lisa - thanks so much for answering my questions. Very informative, that's for sure

pip - congrats on winning the raffle bag. You deserve it! Are you going to have a party for yourself, or just the "combined" party?

Went to Rack Room shoes and Vince got 4 pairs of sneakers, then to Aldi while Vince went to PetSmart, then to Food Lion. Home and Vince drilled holes in the stump of the rose bush and I put Ground Clear in it. Then some RoundUp on the weeds around that area. Also put more Ground Clear into the stump of the tree. Hope this works. A landscaper who I thought was taking down a crepe myrtle but turns out he was just trimming it said that's what he does. Hope it works, or at least makes it plyable enough for me to dig around and get the ball up.

Was chilly here today, chillier than I had expected. I was going to wash my car but decided instead to start cleaning the garage out.

jane - happy birthday! You mean to tell me that you DON'T want to go skating for your birthday???? Why in the world wouldn't you????lol

Michele in NC
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    marking my spot. Hugs to all. Will update later.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Lisa, I was stationed at Lowry as my first base after tech school. That was early 1974. There I met my horrible creep of an ex husband. We were transferred back to Lackland for about three years, then to Athens, Greece for 18 months or so. There the ex threatened to divorce me if I didn't get out of the Air Force and be a "real wife". I out ranked him and he didn't like it. So, he wanted me to get out on the overweight program so I wouldn't have to pay back the reenlistment bonus. I was a SSgt when I got out, with a line number for Tech. He was a Sgt. He promised to help me lose it after I got out. So, I gained 60 pounds in one month. After my discharge he continually sabotaged every effort to lose weight. We were transferred to Tucson Arizona, where he began an affair with another woman who outranked him. He divorced me to marry her when she was pregnant. I asked him why, and he said "just look at you!" If I had not married him, I probably would have stayed in for 20. After that my weight just continued to climb. I was so depressed and miserable.

But it has a happy ending, because I eventually met a WONDERFUL man who loved me either with the extra weight or without it. I was lucky to be in when we got the old GI Bill, so I got four years of college, but never quite managed to graduate. Sometimes I think about going back to finish, but it's too much trouble.

Today the pottery show was a total bust. It was such a beautiful day, we didn't have a chance. The whole weekend is supposed to be nice. Oh well. I had a good time with my friends.

I'm going to bed early. Have a great evening everyone!

Sylvia