From a size 20 to a size 8 with strength training, in one year! PICS!

Replies

• SagarikaBedi
    SagarikaBedi Posts: 15 Member
    bloating after lifting weights..anybody noticed that
  • michelle24p
    michelle24p Posts: 23 Member
    Truly amazing progress! An inspiration.
  • GenElizabeth
    GenElizabeth Posts: 291 Member
    Thank you, ladies. Strength training for the win! :heart:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    SweetAzn wrote: »
    You look amazing! May I ask what a typical strength training workout looks like?

That's a hard one to answer because my workouts change daily!!! I tend to do upper and lower in one workout (just prefer it like that for me) with 4-5 exercises for each.

Here are some example exercises I would do, for about 30-45 mins:

Squats 3x10 at typically 30lbs (using either barbell, dumbbells, kettlebell, etc)

Walking lunges 3x10 with 15lb dumbbells each side

Hip thrusts off bench 3x10 at 25lbs

Step ups with milk crate 3x10 at 32lbs

Clean and press 3x10 at 32lbs

Overhead press 3x10 at 30lbs

Bicep curls 3x10 at 15lbs each side

Tricep kick backs 3x10 at 10lbs each side

As you can see, I don't lift too terribly heavy when I lift at home but it's heavy enough for me and as long as I'm seeing strength improvements, I'm happy and will keep doing it. I enjoy it so much!

Thanks for taking the time to list some of your go to exercises. I was imagining you lifting Really, really big things, that I wouldn't be able to do. However, these are weights I can do now... You are awesome!
  • GenElizabeth
    @spicy618 : Thank you! I encourage you to start and you will also see strength improvements if you stick to it. Best of luck to you! :smile:
  • evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    Great video. He is adorable...congrats!
  • GenElizabeth
    @evesmom2 : Thank you :smile:
  • GenElizabeth
    There are so many good exercises that can be done with just dumbbells... It's been such a long time since I've worked out so I was trying to think back about some of the others things I did as well.

About a year ago, just before I got pregnant, I started doing "reverse pyramid" style lifting. Reverse pyramid is when you lift your heaviest weight first for fewer reps, then lighten the weight and increase the reps for next sets. Last night I finally got a chance to work out at home with my dumbbells. Here's what I did for 30 mins that had a focus on glutes and shoulders.

Bicep curl to OHP (each side):
    5 reps at 25lbs
    8 reps at 15lbs
    10 reps at 7lbs

Chair push up:
    3x10

OH Tricep Ext:
    5 reps at 25lbs
    8 reps at 15lbs
    10 reps at 7lbs

Squats:
    5 reps at 25lbs
    8 reps at 15lbs
    10 reps at 7lbs

Glute bridge:
    5 reps at 25lbs
    8 reps at 15lbs
    10 reps at 7lbs

Donkey kicks:
    3x10 (each side)

My buns were feeling it today!! Just gotta get creative and make sure you have a challenging weight. ;)
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Wow so excited for you. In 11 years times I went from 290 pounds wearing a size 28 to 225 and wearing a size 12 and working on getting back to a size 10 and weiging 163 is my goal
  • GenElizabeth
    @mmjclark04: Of course you can friend me! :wink: I love your response and I'm excited for your life change! Great job so far, I love it! :heart:
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Thanks a million everyone, it's hard work but it's worth it!

Here is a very humble photo of what I use in my home, right where I use it, for those asking what my set up looks like. I have a nice, big window, my milk crate, a basic bench and some free weights! Just start picking up heavy stuff and do it consistently! :blush:

n3g8yz2l0s3d.jpg

I just started weight training at home, and seeing your "set up" made me feel like I'm on the right track, because it looks exactly like mine!!

You look so fantastic. It just motivates me to keep going. Thank you, thank you.
  • claudPolo
    claudPolo Posts: 20 Member
    I've seen a lot of questions about the training so I'd like to ask what your nutrition looks like Ina typical day! :)
    Wonderful job!
  • glfernandes828
    glfernandes828 Posts: 101 Member
    Wow you look incredible! Definitely an inspiration. I love weight training but I only do it 1-2x per week because I'm trying a low carb diet so I try only to eat carbs on the day I weight train. Otherwise I stick to a high protein/fat and low carb meal plan. What do you think about that? Is that a good idea or should I switch to weight training more and eat more carbs in general? I'm currently 117 lbs and 5'1 and only want to lose about 4 lbs but I want to tone, like your legs and abs! Advice?
  • sufiingenuous
    sufiingenuous Posts: 4 Member
    Hi! That's amazing....I just checked out your success story....I m 38 and 5'7" tall..... N I weigh 211 pounds.... I have lost weight successfully many times in past but get back to becoming careless and without workout I manage to get back to current weight.... now I m.trying to do it slow n.gradual so it can be a regular habit n.part of lifestyle for life rather then short term goal. But now I seriously need help. I want to know more about strength training not from a gym or anybody using it for commercial purpose but from someone who did it n was successful at it.... I m a surgeon too n.now though I am on.vacations but I.have while working huge problem.to.find time..... time s a,luxury in my profession. So I need your honest advice and help. I m already doing calorie counting n trying to create a,deficit with one in four days a chest day...but I guess it's easier n.better in.long term to incorporate exercise in creating calorie deficit.... need help..... need sound advice.... help
  • DanniPants6
    DanniPants6 Posts: 51 Member
    Way to get it girl, woooooow .
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    I am just in awe of your success. I have gone through many of your posts a few times just to right down some of your tips. I am 300+ lbs. and have been for half of my life. I am now 46 and want to live the rest of my life in a healthy body. I want to be able to keep up with my grandkids, I want to where a nice dress without a cover up over it. I want to wear nice heels, I want to be able to breath normally after a flight of stairs, I want to be able to tie my shoe laces in one try, I want to be able to put my socks on without sweating, I want to walk a marathon, I want to run, I want to live a happy life. Thank you for posting any advice will be greatly appreciated. Congrats you look awesome :D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!