Eating Paleo, Dreaming of Grain

Options

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Maggieba wrote: »
    ...if it doesn't work for you, it's not a sustainable thing. And ultimately, we all need to craft a personalized diet for ourselves that sustains us, body and soul.

This.

I think it's all about food that makes you feel good. And what is right for you will be different for others.

I had a very positive experience with a short term elimination diet. When nursing my second child, it was clear early on that she was sensitive to something in my diet (exorcist vomit). So I cut out the usual suspects: dairy, gluten, and soy. I followed a paleo-esque diet for 30 days, and the baby explosives stopped. I slowly started to add the above foods back in and found that dairy was causing her issues. But as a side effect, I noticed what a difference cutting out dairy made for my digestive system: gone were gas pains and bloating, and for the first time ever I had daily movements. I played around with dairy some more and found I can eat certain types of yogurt and hard cheeses. But ice cream and I are now frenemies: it has to be really good for me to eat it bc I know how I'll feel after.

So, figure out what works for you. As others have responded, there are plenty of ways you can add more carbs if you need them.

My daughter is lactose intolerant and she's the same way-yogurt and processed American cheese don't bother her. Ice cream takes her out though :/

What about coconut milk ice cream or soy ice cream? It's actually pretty delicious.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    The British Dietetic Association named the paleo diet as among the five worst celebrity-endorsed diets of 2015, saying it risks being "unbalanced, time consuming, [and] socially isolating" and so "a sure-fire way to develop nutrient deficiencies".

A ranking by U.S. News & World Report, involving a panel of experts, evaluated the diet based on factors including health, weight loss, and ease of following. In 2014, it tied for last place out of 32 with the Dukan Diet.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    ...if it doesn't work for you, it's not a sustainable thing. And ultimately, we all need to craft a personalized diet for ourselves that sustains us, body and soul.

This.

I think it's all about food that makes you feel good. And what is right for you will be different for others.

I had a very positive experience with a short term elimination diet. When nursing my second child, it was clear early on that she was sensitive to something in my diet (exorcist vomit). So I cut out the usual suspects: dairy, gluten, and soy. I followed a paleo-esque diet for 30 days, and the baby explosives stopped. I slowly started to add the above foods back in and found that dairy was causing her issues. But as a side effect, I noticed what a difference cutting out dairy made for my digestive system: gone were gas pains and bloating, and for the first time ever I had daily movements. I played around with dairy some more and found I can eat certain types of yogurt and hard cheeses. But ice cream and I are now frenemies: it has to be really good for me to eat it bc I know how I'll feel after.

So, figure out what works for you. As others have responded, there are plenty of ways you can add more carbs if you need them.

My daughter is lactose intolerant and she's the same way-yogurt and processed American cheese don't bother her. Ice cream takes her out though :/

What about coconut milk ice cream or soy ice cream? It's actually pretty delicious.

she likes coconut ice cream, hasn't tried soy yet :)
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

This.

I concur about coconut milk ice cream. I bought some to give to my dairy allergic toddler as a treat.

Ate most of it myself...
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    1217ckCOMIC-charley---plio-diet.png?1418183173

This made me laugh haha
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the pages yet but a lot of people that eliminate items on the paleo diet (dairy, wheat, etc) might be feeling somewhat better because they are eating more low fodmap items in their diet, and less high fodmap items that might make us feel pretty crappy. There's some science behind it too :)

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    I haven't read all the pages yet but a lot of people that eliminate items on the paleo diet (dairy, wheat, etc) might be feeling somewhat better because they are eating more low fodmap items in their diet, and less high fodmap items that might make us feel pretty crappy. There's some science behind it too :)

For people who have issues with those things, yes indeed. It doesn't apply to everyone though :)
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

For people who have issues with those things, yes indeed. It doesn't apply to everyone though :)

You are correct. But when it applies to people like myself, make some room please. I think that's the issue. Too much CICO, not much about metabolics, macros, good eating habits, and not outrunning a bad diet. Being healthy is two things - diet and exercise. 80% diet + 20% exercise. If you eat like crap, exercise means nothing - maybe if you are young you can get away with it. For us old farts, that's NOT an option. Old guys damage their metabolics enough in their life during their "I can get away with it" phase and denial phase. Once you accept, you realize what you really have to do.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

You are correct. But when it applies to people like myself, make some room please. I think that's the issue. Too much CICO, not much about metabolics, macros, good eating habits, and not outrunning a bad diet. Being healthy is two things - diet and exercise. 80% diet + 20% exercise. If you eat like crap, exercise means nothing - maybe if you are young you can get away with it. For us old farts, that's NOT an option. Old guys damage their metabolics enough in their life during their "I can get away with it" phase and denial phase. Once you accept, you realize what you really have to do.

I am well versed in making allowances for medical issues, and I never said people should only eat 'crap'. I do, however, believe that if you have no extenuating circumstances you can make room for treat items as part of an overall healthy diet. That's actually what I see most people who don't believe in the need to eliminate entire food groups for no reason saying.

Also, I'm only three years younger than you, but I don't consider myself an 'old fart' ;) (and trust me, I have done wicked damage to my metabolism at times).
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    @Nony_Mouse thank you for bringing some much needed sense to this thread. It was quite a wild ride until you showed up :smile:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    @Nony_Mouse thank you for bringing some much needed sense to this thread. It was quite a wild ride until you showed up :smile:

Aw, thanks :). There were several others who were doing a good job of debunking while us NZers slept though. Also, I can call it work, cos archaeology ;) (which I never get sick of talking about). Who should I send the invoice to do you think?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

This.

Are you sure she is lactose intolerant and not casein intolerant? Because if it is a casein intolerance, casein breaks down when making yoghurt or cheese, so for mild intolerances, she should be able to eat these products.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    BramageOMG wrote: »
    The British Dietetic Association named the paleo diet as among the five worst celebrity-endorsed diets of 2015, saying it risks being "unbalanced, time consuming, [and] socially isolating" and so "a sure-fire way to develop nutrient deficiencies".

A ranking by U.S. News & World Report, involving a panel of experts, evaluated the diet based on factors including health, weight loss, and ease of following. In 2014, it tied for last place out of 32 with the Dukan Diet.

And yet a couple I know did the Dukan Diet around ten years ago and lost around 25 pounds each and have maintained their weight loss to this day. Apparently they particularly liked it because it allowed them to eat a lot of smoked salmon.

And here's the Mayo Clinic's rather neutral assessment of the Paleo Diet:
    There is little clinical research on the benefits of paleo diets. A few clinical trials lasting 12 weeks or less have been conducted with small groups of participants.

These trials suggest that a paleo diet may provide some moderate benefits when compared with diets of fruits, vegetables, lean meats, whole grains, legumes and low-fat dairy products. These moderate benefits may include:

More weight loss
    Improved glucose tolerance
    Better blood pressure control
    Better appetite management

However, longer trials with large groups of people randomly assigned to different diets are needed to understand the long-term, overall health benefits and possible risks of a paleo diet.

So, basically, the "best" diet is the one you like and can stick to.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

This.

Are you sure she is lactose intolerant and not casein intolerant? Because if it is a casein intolerance, casein breaks down when making yoghurt or cheese, so for mild intolerances, she should be able to eat these products.

are you sure about that statement? if yes, can you please provide a source? thank you.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

This.

are you sure about that statement? if yes, can you please provide a source? thank you.

I am 100% sure of this because my husband is casein intolerant and two of my kids were born casein intolerant, one outgrew it completely after the first years, the other only partially. At first I also was not aware of casein and lactose intolerance being different, but our pediatrician explained the difference and gave us reading material and instructions. Unfortunately, this all happened several years ago, so I no longer have links to research. But, casein intolerance or other milk protein intolerances are rather common in babies, so a lot of information will come up if you google it in association with babies, elimination diets for breastfeeding mothers or infant formula with hydrolyzed proteins.
    According to our pediatrician, which was verified in practice for us, milk proteins partially break down by the process of fermentation (which occurs when making cheese or yoghurt). So, when a person is not allergic, but only mildly intolerant to milk proteins, it is possible to enjoy these foods without reactions, while milk will cause pains, diarrhea, bloating etc. Protein also breaks down to a lesser extent when cooking milk, so it might be possible to also consume in moderation foods with cooked milk, such as custard or custard-based ice cream.
    In our family, my husband can eat dairy, but not drink milk. He can drink small amounts of goat milk but is in pain if he consumes cow milk. One of my kids is at this point fine, but could not tolerate any dairy (except breatmilk) the first years. Then he was gradually able to eat first yoghurt and cheese, then also milk. My other kid, can drink only small amounts of cow milk or ice cream made with raw milk with mild discomfort, but can eat yoghurt without side-effects.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Not quite sure what your point is. I'm older than you, with probably many more health issues than you -- health issues that arose while I was eating elimination diets. You can indeed "get away" with a balanced diet of nutrient dense food with the occasion treat, exercise, and lose weight. Even when you're older than you and have multiple medical conditions. There are men on these boards who I've seen rocking enviable physiques who are in their 50's, and they all do IIFYM. No denial of any food.

And your statement "too much CICO, not enough metabolics"? is a tautology. CICO includes metabolics on the CO side.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I love when people say 80% diet and 20% exercise because it means they have no clue what they are talking about and get their information from bumper stickers. And don't start with the old farts garbaage, it's not and excuse for believing in crap science.

ETA btw you are a year older than me, so when do I have to worry about my metabolism? Next year?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

LOL so much rubbish ..

how can you have too much CICO???

and no one is arguing that you can be over eating and exercise will magically cure it. Don't we hear over and over on here that "you can't out exercise a bad diet"…?

you really just need to stop with the nonsense….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    JordisTSM wrote: »

co sign
  • ndj1979
    Options

I love when people say 80% diet and 20% exercise because it means they have no clue what they are talking about and get their information from bumper stickers. And don't start with the old farts garbaage, it's not and excuse for believing in crap science.

ETA btw you are a year older than me, so when do I have to worry about my metabolism? Next year?

your metabolism is already dead ….
This discussion has been closed.