Eating Paleo, Dreaming of Grain

Options

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    boobeey wrote: »
    Hi I've also tried paleo and it worked out great for me I was able to shred 20 pounds in two months I did have dairy (yogurt) in the mornings and atleast 4 eggs a week with no yolks I'd suggest you add more lean protein such as chicken breast or a heavier lean mean such as london broil steak or even sirlon steak. I'm a cake lover so I get the whole missing carb thing. Google Pegan diet it's combo of vegan and paleo I like it so far but I do still eat yogurt

I just googled it and it seems to be based in a fundamental misunderstanding of what veganism is. This looks like Paleo with less meat and some lentils added in.

Which is a good thing, because vegan paleo sounds like the worst idea ever.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi I've also tried paleo and it worked out great for me I was able to shred 20 pounds in two months I did have dairy (yogurt) in the mornings and atleast 4 eggs a week with no yolks I'd suggest you add more lean protein such as chicken breast or a heavier lean mean such as london broil steak or even sirlon steak. I'm a cake lover so I get the whole missing carb thing. Google Pegan diet it's combo of vegan and paleo I like it so far but I do still eat yogurt

I just googled it and it seems to be based in a fundamental misunderstanding of what veganism is. This looks like Paleo with less meat and some lentils added in.

That's where you just sit and watch people eat until you finally die.
  • boobeey
    boobeey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Why does it sound like were all putting each other down? If I 've offended anyone then I'm sorry it's not that seerious ea what I eat and you eat what you eat period. Have a great and fit day everyone
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »

According to many on this site, all we eat are donuts. Never have they considered looking at any of our diaries and seeing a variety of wholesome foods. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook but ice cream and muffins keep me sane.

Oh, I've done it that way too. And when 'donut hour' finally comes around and you've been thinking about it and watching the clock and digging your fingernails into the sofa all afternoon and finally finally it's time and you've been 'good' so you get your little sugary poison reward and you try to make it last as long as possible but even so it's finished far, far too soon and you lick every crumb and bit of frosting off the wrapper and then you start demonstrating your willpower again, a.k.a. counting down the days until the next one?

No thanks. I'd rather have none.

Really wish you'd quit projecting your own insecurities on the rest of the MFP population.

The Cubs will win the World Series before that happens.

Oh no you didn't!!

Look you even made Obama sad

obama-sad-face.jpg
  • girlviernes
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Why does it sound like were all putting each other down? If I 've offended anyone then I'm sorry it's not that seerious ea what I eat and you eat what you eat period. Have a great and fit day everyone

I don't think you've offended anyone, at least not me, but the idea of vegan + paleo offends my sensibilities as someone who cares about peoples' health. I dislike overly restrictive plans especially with no scientific leg to stand on.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

*sigh*

another person that says they do Paleo, but is not even following Paleo by eating dairy, and is not eating anywhere close to how Paleo people ate..

You lost 20 pounds because you eliminated carbs.

For the hardcore Paleo-enthusiast, yes adding dairy and legumes is a no-no. There's something called 80/20 Paleo - that would include a dairy source like Yogurt into the mix of the diet.

What she listed above minus the dairy/legumes works. Eggs are paleo, the lean meats are paleo, just the issue of using plant-based proteins is really not Paleo.

Paleo people don't have to eat like they are some caveman from ancient times, man. Paleo people eat foods that would be considered derived from the Paleolithic era. As long as you can trace its lineage then it's considered Paleo.

You can trace everything back.

I just read an interesting fact. Blue eyes? Sorry, not Paleo.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

*sigh*

another person that says they do Paleo, but is not even following Paleo by eating dairy, and is not eating anywhere close to how Paleo people ate..

For the hardcore Paleo-enthusiast, yes adding dairy and legumes is a no-no. There's something called 80/20 Paleo - that would include a dairy source like Yogurt into the mix of the diet.

What she listed above minus the dairy/legumes works. Eggs are paleo, the lean meats are paleo, just the issue of using plant-based proteins is really not Paleo.

Paleo people don't have to eat like they are some caveman from ancient times, man. Paleo people eat foods that would be considered derived from the Paleolithic era. As long as you can trace its lineage then it's considered Paleo.

BRB drawing a timeline every time I want to eat something.

please pm that to me when complete...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

*sigh*

Eh, not really. The 80/20 thing is supposed to account for the fact that life doesn't allow perfection and you might eat at a friend's place or slip up or have a very special holiday dinner or some such, not the intentional inclusion of off plan foods on the regular.

Of course the fact is that the vast majority of people who eat "paleo" only eat sort of paleo after the beginning, IME (based on people I know, so not scientific).

Not so much. Eggs without yolks and seeking out chicken breast (skinless, no doubt) rather than eating the whole chicken is contrary to the spirit even without getting into sourcing and the fact the chicken/eggs are products of agriculture as much as wheat is.

I like some things that paleo people tend to promote (without thinking they are exclusive at all to paleo). Eating the whole animal (including organs), game, being concerned with how the animal is raised, and of course eating the whole egg and not being scared of fat are all part of that, but for some who claim to be "paleo" it's just a way to cut out some carbs, it seems.

If that's what you want why bother? Just cut carbs. Or grains, specifically, if that's your preference. I barely ever ate grains when I was keeping my carbs at 100 grams, because they are not among my favorite carbs.

(None of this relates to OP any more, of course.)
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

*sigh*

Ut oh...I'm dead
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    *sigh*

As long as you can trace its lineage then it's considered Paleo.

You can trace the lineage of a donut...that doesn't make it Paleo.

• lemurcat12
    Options

Pegan is certainly one of the worst possible labels one could choose.

It's made me happy and now I have something to tell people about at dinner, however. Trying to figure out a way to bring it up.

Also, I now want to claim to be a pagan pegan with freegan tendencies.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

It's made me happy and now I have something to tell people about at dinner, however. Trying to figure out a way to bring it up.

Get yourself a few dogs, some swine and some 90's fad memorabilia, and you could be a pagan pegan pugan pigan pogan
  • girlviernes
    Options

hahahha I want to be at that dinner. lol
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

*sigh*

Ut oh...I'm dead

Yeah, apparently the gene mutation for it only happened 6,000 - 10,000 years ago. Interesting stuff.

• lemurcat12
    Options

I'm not meaning to put you down. I think you should eat what makes you happy. We just have different ideas about labels relating to how one eats, probably.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    @Nony_Mouse thank you for bringing some much needed sense to this thread. It was quite a wild ride until you showed up :smile:

Aw, thanks :). There were several others who were doing a good job of debunking while us NZers slept though. Also, I can call it work, cos archaeology ;) (which I never get sick of talking about). Who should I send the invoice to do you think?

Would you say that for the majority of human history, humans have had an intimate understanding of where our food sources come from?
    A quote from a noted evolutionary diet researcher:
    99.99% of our genes were formed before the development of agriculture. -S. Boyd Eaton, M.D., MEDICAL ANTHROPOLOGIST
    Please share your thoughts on this statement.

Um, not seeing the connection between the quote and you question frankly. Srsly sweetie, walk away.

Feel free to answer the question and/or comment on the quote. There need not be a direct connection between them. They are two topics that I'm interested in your thoughts on.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

*sigh*

Ut oh...I'm dead

Yeah, apparently the gene mutation for it only happened 6,000 - 10,000 years ago. Interesting stuff.

ancient aliens, that is all I am saying...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

*sigh*

Ut oh...I'm dead

I guess they also brought all those foods that we can't track back to the Paleolithic era . . .
  • girlviernes
    Options
    WELL IF IT IS ALIEN FOOD I AIN'T EATING IT, TALK ABOUT POISON!!!
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

*sigh*

Ut oh...I'm dead

I guess they also brought all those foods that we can't track back to the Paleolithic era . . .

I'm pretty sure they brought us Keith Richards too
This discussion has been closed.