Eating Paleo, Dreaming of Grain

Options
11415161719

Replies

  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

    ancient aliens, that is all I am saying...

    Time travellers from Montsanto, attempting to circumvent PaleoMan's total revulsion for all things SEED RELATED.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The meat section of a Paleo grocery store...

    sabre-tooth-tiger-_1117360c.jpg

    Coincidentally, that's also the treadmill section of the Paleo fitness centre.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    boobeey wrote: »
    Hi I've also tried paleo and it worked out great for me I was able to shred 20 pounds in two months I did have dairy (yogurt) in the mornings and atleast 4 eggs a week with no yolks I'd suggest you add more lean protein such as chicken breast or a heavier lean mean such as london broil steak or even sirlon steak. I'm a cake lover so I get the whole missing carb thing. Google Pegan diet it's combo of vegan and paleo I like it so far but I do still eat yogurt

    *sigh*

    another person that says they do Paleo, but is not even following Paleo by eating dairy, and is not eating anywhere close to how Paleo people ate..

    You lost 20 pounds because you eliminated carbs.

    For the hardcore Paleo-enthusiast, yes adding dairy and legumes is a no-no. There's something called 80/20 Paleo - that would include a dairy source like Yogurt into the mix of the diet.

    What she listed above minus the dairy/legumes works. Eggs are paleo, the lean meats are paleo, just the issue of using plant-based proteins is really not Paleo.

    Paleo people don't have to eat like they are some caveman from ancient times, man. Paleo people eat foods that would be considered derived from the Paleolithic era. As long as you can trace its lineage then it's considered Paleo.

    So they must starve if they only eat things derived from a dead era that no longer exist. The whole diet is a study in flawed logic, bad science, and people who don't really follow what they claim to.

    Eating veggies, lean meats, eggs, fruit - if that's flawed then you must be eating something else other than Paleo. Everyone eats Paleo of some kind.

    There's irony for ya.

    I think that's kind of the point.

    What sense does it make for me to claim I eat 75% paleo or whatever?

    Or as I prefer to think of it, I'm a meat-eating, bread-eating 65% freegan pegan who occasionally purchases my own food.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The meat section of a Paleo grocery store...

    sabre-tooth-tiger-_1117360c.jpg

    Coincidentally, that's also the treadmill section of the Paleo fitness centre.

    See mine has a zombie chasing me...it not being Paleo times n all...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,413 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

    According to many on this site, all we eat are donuts. Never have they considered looking at any of our diaries and seeing a variety of wholesome foods. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook but ice cream and muffins keep me sane.

    Oh, I've done it that way too. And when 'donut hour' finally comes around and you've been thinking about it and watching the clock and digging your fingernails into the sofa all afternoon and finally finally it's time and you've been 'good' so you get your little sugary poison reward and you try to make it last as long as possible but even so it's finished far, far too soon and you lick every crumb and bit of frosting off the wrapper and then you start demonstrating your willpower again, a.k.a. counting down the days until the next one?

    No thanks. I'd rather have none.

    That is pretty much nonsense. I don't crave sweets at all. In fact, I rarely eat doughnuts, cake or pies. I much prefer ice cream or candies. But even then, i rather have more steak or wings or other meats.
  • Ameengyrl
    Ameengyrl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Alan Levinovitz gave an interview to the Atlantic on food purity and religious thought, and it's fascinating to see it play out in this thread. For those of you who are interested, here's some of what he said:

    "Ideas about religion can be so powerful that people can't endorse them without giving up a part of their identity. It's the same thing with diets. If you've adopted a diet and it's become part of your identity, asking someone to reconsider something as simple as eating sugar or gluten is kind of like asking someone to give up their faith. To admit that the core of their identity is fundamentally mistaken."

    If you want to read the whole interview, it's here: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/05/the-puritanical-approach-to-food/392030/
    THIS EXPLAINS EVERYBODY ON MFP AND WHY THESE POSTS GO WRONG
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to figure out what this donut is she's eating where you lick frosting off the wrapper.

    Seems like she may need a better source of donuts.

    Also, thinking of it as "being good" is really part of the problem, not the moderate approach, IMO.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    boobeey wrote: »
    Hi I've also tried paleo and it worked out great for me I was able to shred 20 pounds in two months I did have dairy (yogurt) in the mornings and atleast 4 eggs a week with no yolks I'd suggest you add more lean protein such as chicken breast or a heavier lean mean such as london broil steak or even sirlon steak. I'm a cake lover so I get the whole missing carb thing. Google Pegan diet it's combo of vegan and paleo I like it so far but I do still eat yogurt

    *sigh*

    another person that says they do Paleo, but is not even following Paleo by eating dairy, and is not eating anywhere close to how Paleo people ate..

    You lost 20 pounds because you eliminated carbs.

    For the hardcore Paleo-enthusiast, yes adding dairy and legumes is a no-no. There's something called 80/20 Paleo - that would include a dairy source like Yogurt into the mix of the diet.

    What she listed above minus the dairy/legumes works. Eggs are paleo, the lean meats are paleo, just the issue of using plant-based proteins is really not Paleo.

    Paleo people don't have to eat like they are some caveman from ancient times, man. Paleo people eat foods that would be considered derived from the Paleolithic era. As long as you can trace its lineage then it's considered Paleo.

    So they must starve if they only eat things derived from a dead era that no longer exist. The whole diet is a study in flawed logic, bad science, and people who don't really follow what they claim to.

    Eating veggies, lean meats, eggs, fruit - if that's flawed then you must be eating something else other than Paleo. Everyone eats Paleo of some kind.

    There's irony for ya.

    I think that's kind of the point.

    What sense does it make for me to claim I eat 75% paleo or whatever?

    Or as I prefer to think of it, I'm a meat-eating, bread-eating 65% freegan pegan who occasionally purchases my own food.

    That's exactly MY point. Who cares! To say Paleo is to identify a specific form of nutritional profile. I am not the one denigrating it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Why is a certain someone suddenly flagging posts he disagrees with?

  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    boobeey wrote: »
    Hi I've also tried paleo and it worked out great for me I was able to shred 20 pounds in two months I did have dairy (yogurt) in the mornings and atleast 4 eggs a week with no yolks I'd suggest you add more lean protein such as chicken breast or a heavier lean mean such as london broil steak or even sirlon steak. I'm a cake lover so I get the whole missing carb thing. Google Pegan diet it's combo of vegan and paleo I like it so far but I do still eat yogurt

    *sigh*

    another person that says they do Paleo, but is not even following Paleo by eating dairy, and is not eating anywhere close to how Paleo people ate..

    You lost 20 pounds because you eliminated carbs.

    For the hardcore Paleo-enthusiast, yes adding dairy and legumes is a no-no. There's something called 80/20 Paleo - that would include a dairy source like Yogurt into the mix of the diet.

    What she listed above minus the dairy/legumes works. Eggs are paleo, the lean meats are paleo, just the issue of using plant-based proteins is really not Paleo.

    Paleo people don't have to eat like they are some caveman from ancient times, man. Paleo people eat foods that would be considered derived from the Paleolithic era. As long as you can trace its lineage then it's considered Paleo.

    So they must starve if they only eat things derived from a dead era that no longer exist. The whole diet is a study in flawed logic, bad science, and people who don't really follow what they claim to.

    Eating veggies, lean meats, eggs, fruit - if that's flawed then you must be eating something else other than Paleo. Everyone eats Paleo of some kind.

    There's irony for ya.

    Vegetarians? Vegans?

    ALL THE LEGUMES!

    And, for those of us who can/want to, all the soy!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Why is a certain someone suddenly flagging posts he disagrees with?

    mad because no one accepts their ridiculous view points...?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm just trying to figure out what this donut is she's eating where you lick frosting off the wrapper.

    Seems like she may need a better source of donuts.

    Also, thinking of it as "being good" is really part of the problem, not the moderate approach, IMO.

    I think it's actually a baggie of crack. See, what's gone wrong in this conversations is what we're talking about food and she's talking about drugs. It's the only way I can wrap my head around this.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    boobeey wrote: »
    lol true so maybe I'll say I borrow some of the paleo tips

    I like your thinking
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    boobeey wrote: »
    Hi I've also tried paleo and it worked out great for me I was able to shred 20 pounds in two months I did have dairy (yogurt) in the mornings and atleast 4 eggs a week with no yolks I'd suggest you add more lean protein such as chicken breast or a heavier lean mean such as london broil steak or even sirlon steak. I'm a cake lover so I get the whole missing carb thing. Google Pegan diet it's combo of vegan and paleo I like it so far but I do still eat yogurt

    *sigh*

    another person that says they do Paleo, but is not even following Paleo by eating dairy, and is not eating anywhere close to how Paleo people ate..

    You lost 20 pounds because you eliminated carbs.

    For the hardcore Paleo-enthusiast, yes adding dairy and legumes is a no-no. There's something called 80/20 Paleo - that would include a dairy source like Yogurt into the mix of the diet.

    What she listed above minus the dairy/legumes works. Eggs are paleo, the lean meats are paleo, just the issue of using plant-based proteins is really not Paleo.

    Paleo people don't have to eat like they are some caveman from ancient times, man. Paleo people eat foods that would be considered derived from the Paleolithic era. As long as you can trace its lineage then it's considered Paleo.

    So they must starve if they only eat things derived from a dead era that no longer exist. The whole diet is a study in flawed logic, bad science, and people who don't really follow what they claim to.

    Eating veggies, lean meats, eggs, fruit - if that's flawed then you must be eating something else other than Paleo. Everyone eats Paleo of some kind.

    There's irony for ya.

    Vegetarians? Vegans?

    ALL THE LEGUMES!

    And, for those of us who can/want to, all the soy!


    MMMMMMMMM... Ancient alien protein food!!!!

    I'm going to give it a go again in case I had an accidental gluten exposure and mistook it for reacting to soy.

    I got this awesome sriracha roasted BBQ sauce to have with my tofu.

    Can I trace that back to Paleo?

  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    boobeey wrote: »
    Hi I've also tried paleo and it worked out great for me I was able to shred 20 pounds in two months I did have dairy (yogurt) in the mornings and atleast 4 eggs a week with no yolks I'd suggest you add more lean protein such as chicken breast or a heavier lean mean such as london broil steak or even sirlon steak. I'm a cake lover so I get the whole missing carb thing. Google Pegan diet it's combo of vegan and paleo I like it so far but I do still eat yogurt

    *sigh*

    another person that says they do Paleo, but is not even following Paleo by eating dairy, and is not eating anywhere close to how Paleo people ate..

    You lost 20 pounds because you eliminated carbs.

    For the hardcore Paleo-enthusiast, yes adding dairy and legumes is a no-no. There's something called 80/20 Paleo - that would include a dairy source like Yogurt into the mix of the diet.

    What she listed above minus the dairy/legumes works. Eggs are paleo, the lean meats are paleo, just the issue of using plant-based proteins is really not Paleo.

    Paleo people don't have to eat like they are some caveman from ancient times, man. Paleo people eat foods that would be considered derived from the Paleolithic era. As long as you can trace its lineage then it's considered Paleo.

    So they must starve if they only eat things derived from a dead era that no longer exist. The whole diet is a study in flawed logic, bad science, and people who don't really follow what they claim to.

    Eating veggies, lean meats, eggs, fruit - if that's flawed then you must be eating something else other than Paleo. Everyone eats Paleo of some kind.

    There's irony for ya.

    No claiming that you are eating things that no longer exist, that's the irony. Everything these days is neo not Paleo so everything you claim to be eating because of this or that is flawed.

    Funny stuff. Do you think this matters to me? LOL!

    You are oblivious to truth.

    ETA, and how about acting like you and I are the same age and can carry on a conversation with out churlish remarks.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    boobeey wrote: »
    Hi I've also tried paleo and it worked out great for me I was able to shred 20 pounds in two months I did have dairy (yogurt) in the mornings and atleast 4 eggs a week with no yolks I'd suggest you add more lean protein such as chicken breast or a heavier lean mean such as london broil steak or even sirlon steak. I'm a cake lover so I get the whole missing carb thing. Google Pegan diet it's combo of vegan and paleo I like it so far but I do still eat yogurt

    *sigh*

    another person that says they do Paleo, but is not even following Paleo by eating dairy, and is not eating anywhere close to how Paleo people ate..

    You lost 20 pounds because you eliminated carbs.

    For the hardcore Paleo-enthusiast, yes adding dairy and legumes is a no-no. There's something called 80/20 Paleo - that would include a dairy source like Yogurt into the mix of the diet.

    What she listed above minus the dairy/legumes works. Eggs are paleo, the lean meats are paleo, just the issue of using plant-based proteins is really not Paleo.

    Paleo people don't have to eat like they are some caveman from ancient times, man. Paleo people eat foods that would be considered derived from the Paleolithic era. As long as you can trace its lineage then it's considered Paleo.

    So they must starve if they only eat things derived from a dead era that no longer exist. The whole diet is a study in flawed logic, bad science, and people who don't really follow what they claim to.

    Eating veggies, lean meats, eggs, fruit - if that's flawed then you must be eating something else other than Paleo. Everyone eats Paleo of some kind.

    There's irony for ya.

    Vegetarians? Vegans?

    ALL THE LEGUMES!

    And, for those of us who can/want to, all the soy!


    MMMMMMMMM... Ancient alien protein food!!!!

    I'm going to give it a go again in case I had an accidental gluten exposure and mistook it for reacting to soy.

    I got this awesome sriracha roasted BBQ sauce to have with my tofu.

    Can I trace that back to Paleo?

    I have no idea, but sriracha roasted BBQ sounds heavenly.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm just trying to figure out what this donut is she's eating where you lick frosting off the wrapper.

    Seems like she may need a better source of donuts.

    Also, thinking of it as "being good" is really part of the problem, not the moderate approach, IMO.

    I think it's actually a baggie of crack. See, what's gone wrong in this conversations is what we're talking about food and she's talking about drugs. It's the only way I can wrap my head around this.

    Oh, it's a "donut", not a donut! I totally get it now.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm just trying to figure out what this donut is she's eating where you lick frosting off the wrapper.

    Seems like she may need a better source of donuts.

    Also, thinking of it as "being good" is really part of the problem, not the moderate approach, IMO.

    I think it's actually a baggie of crack. See, what's gone wrong in this conversations is what we're talking about food and she's talking about drugs. It's the only way I can wrap my head around this.

    this made me LOL at my desk. It also makes sense of that post. Thanks for clarifying!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm just trying to figure out what this donut is she's eating where you lick frosting off the wrapper.

    Seems like she may need a better source of donuts.

    Also, thinking of it as "being good" is really part of the problem, not the moderate approach, IMO.

    I think it's actually a baggie of crack. See, what's gone wrong in this conversations is what we're talking about food and she's talking about drugs. It's the only way I can wrap my head around this.

    that would explain a lot
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    boobeey wrote: »
    Hi I've also tried paleo and it worked out great for me I was able to shred 20 pounds in two months I did have dairy (yogurt) in the mornings and atleast 4 eggs a week with no yolks I'd suggest you add more lean protein such as chicken breast or a heavier lean mean such as london broil steak or even sirlon steak. I'm a cake lover so I get the whole missing carb thing. Google Pegan diet it's combo of vegan and paleo I like it so far but I do still eat yogurt

    *sigh*

    another person that says they do Paleo, but is not even following Paleo by eating dairy, and is not eating anywhere close to how Paleo people ate..

    You lost 20 pounds because you eliminated carbs.

    For the hardcore Paleo-enthusiast, yes adding dairy and legumes is a no-no. There's something called 80/20 Paleo - that would include a dairy source like Yogurt into the mix of the diet.

    What she listed above minus the dairy/legumes works. Eggs are paleo, the lean meats are paleo, just the issue of using plant-based proteins is really not Paleo.

    Paleo people don't have to eat like they are some caveman from ancient times, man. Paleo people eat foods that would be considered derived from the Paleolithic era. As long as you can trace its lineage then it's considered Paleo.

    So they must starve if they only eat things derived from a dead era that no longer exist. The whole diet is a study in flawed logic, bad science, and people who don't really follow what they claim to.

    Eating veggies, lean meats, eggs, fruit - if that's flawed then you must be eating something else other than Paleo. Everyone eats Paleo of some kind.

    There's irony for ya.

    Vegetarians? Vegans?

    ALL THE LEGUMES!

    And, for those of us who can/want to, all the soy!


    MMMMMMMMM... Ancient alien protein food!!!!

    I'm going to give it a go again in case I had an accidental gluten exposure and mistook it for reacting to soy.

    I got this awesome sriracha roasted BBQ sauce to have with my tofu.

    Can I trace that back to Paleo?

    I have no idea, but sriracha roasted BBQ sounds heavenly.

    I left out the word garlic! It's sriracha roasted garlic bbq sauce! It's vegan. I appreciated so much that they used GF, vegan Worcestershire sauce in it.
This discussion has been closed.