Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    boobeey wrote: »
    Hi I've also tried paleo and it worked out great for me I was able to shred 20 pounds in two months I did have dairy (yogurt) in the mornings and atleast 4 eggs a week with no yolks I'd suggest you add more lean protein such as chicken breast or a heavier lean mean such as london broil steak or even sirlon steak. I'm a cake lover so I get the whole missing carb thing. Google Pegan diet it's combo of vegan and paleo I like it so far but I do still eat yogurt

I just googled it and it seems to be based in a fundamental misunderstanding of what veganism is. This looks like Paleo with less meat and some lentils added in.

Which is a good thing, because vegan paleo sounds like the worst idea ever.

Pegan is certainly one of the worst possible labels one could choose.

It's made me happy and now I have something to tell people about at dinner, however. Trying to figure out a way to bring it up.

Also, I now want to claim to be a pagan pegan with freegan tendencies.

Get yourself a few dogs, some swine and some 90's fad memorabilia, and you could be a pagan pegan pugan pigan pogan

4688161906_acd9a5a1dc.jpg\

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Hi I've also tried paleo and it worked out great for me I was able to shred 20 pounds in two months I did have dairy (yogurt) in the mornings and atleast 4 eggs a week with no yolks I'd suggest you add more lean protein such as chicken breast or a heavier lean mean such as london broil steak or even sirlon steak. I'm a cake lover so I get the whole missing carb thing. Google Pegan diet it's combo of vegan and paleo I like it so far but I do still eat yogurt

*sigh*

another person that says they do Paleo, but is not even following Paleo by eating dairy, and is not eating anywhere close to how Paleo people ate..

You lost 20 pounds because you eliminated carbs.

For the hardcore Paleo-enthusiast, yes adding dairy and legumes is a no-no. There's something called 80/20 Paleo - that would include a dairy source like Yogurt into the mix of the diet.

What she listed above minus the dairy/legumes works. Eggs are paleo, the lean meats are paleo, just the issue of using plant-based proteins is really not Paleo.

Paleo people don't have to eat like they are some caveman from ancient times, man. Paleo people eat foods that would be considered derived from the Paleolithic era. As long as you can trace its lineage then it's considered Paleo.

You can trace everything back.

I just read an interesting fact. Blue eyes? Sorry, not Paleo.

Ut oh...I'm dead

Yeah, apparently the gene mutation for it only happened 6,000 - 10,000 years ago. Interesting stuff.

ancient aliens, that is all I am saying...

I guess they also brought all those foods that we can't track back to the Paleolithic era . . .

I'm pretty sure they brought us Keith Richards too

that was the Roswell landing when they dropped ole Keith off...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

According to many on this site, all we eat are donuts. Never have they considered looking at any of our diaries and seeing a variety of wholesome foods. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook but ice cream and muffins keep me sane.

Oh, I've done it that way too. And when 'donut hour' finally comes around and you've been thinking about it and watching the clock and digging your fingernails into the sofa all afternoon and finally finally it's time and you've been 'good' so you get your little sugary poison reward and you try to make it last as long as possible but even so it's finished far, far too soon and you lick every crumb and bit of frosting off the wrapper and then you start demonstrating your willpower again, a.k.a. counting down the days until the next one?

No thanks. I'd rather have none.

Really weak.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

*sigh*

another person that says they do Paleo, but is not even following Paleo by eating dairy, and is not eating anywhere close to how Paleo people ate..

For the hardcore Paleo-enthusiast, yes adding dairy and legumes is a no-no. There's something called 80/20 Paleo - that would include a dairy source like Yogurt into the mix of the diet.

What she listed above minus the dairy/legumes works. Eggs are paleo, the lean meats are paleo, just the issue of using plant-based proteins is really not Paleo.

Paleo people don't have to eat like they are some caveman from ancient times, man. Paleo people eat foods that would be considered derived from the Paleolithic era. As long as you can trace its lineage then it's considered Paleo.

So they must starve if they only eat things derived from a dead era that no longer exist. The whole diet is a study in flawed logic, bad science, and people who don't really follow what they claim to.
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I did the Whole30 and do a primal eating style. They say to up your carbs on active days - meaning a whole sweet potato, etc - I have even heard that they have ok'd potatoes and rice now? Check out their stuff on what to do. its pretty solid. good for you cleaning up your diet - 30 days isn't to hard - you only have 25 left to go!!!!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Why does it sound like were all putting each other down? If I 've offended anyone then I'm sorry it's not that seerious ea what I eat and you eat what you eat period. Have a great and fit day everyone

You may eat what you like, no one will call you out on doing what you feel is best for you body, honest. The trouble comes when we see the moral supriority attitude in some who espouse belief as if it were proven fact. I don't believe anyone has directly tried to attack you but just indicated that the diet you name is rather suspect. Please continue if you feel it is best for you and no one here will tell you that it's wrong for you if that's what you want to put into your body.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

*sigh*

Ut oh...I'm dead

Yeah, apparently the gene mutation for it only happened 6,000 - 10,000 years ago. Interesting stuff.

I guess they also brought all those foods that we can't track back to the Paleolithic era . . .

You mean lentils, beans, dairy = ALIENS?

DANG! I'm on the alien diet!!!!

I found a new name for the way I eat!!!! COOL!!!!!!!

• PeachyCarol
    Options

*sigh*

Ut oh...I'm dead

I'm pretty sure they brought us Keith Richards too

Definitely Bowie.

• Wheelhouse15
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    @Nony_Mouse thank you for bringing some much needed sense to this thread. It was quite a wild ride until you showed up :smile:

Aw, thanks :). There were several others who were doing a good job of debunking while us NZers slept though. Also, I can call it work, cos archaeology ;) (which I never get sick of talking about). Who should I send the invoice to do you think?

Would you say that for the majority of human history, humans have had an intimate understanding of where our food sources come from?
    A quote from a noted evolutionary diet researcher:
    99.99% of our genes were formed before the development of agriculture. -S. Boyd Eaton, M.D., MEDICAL ANTHROPOLOGIST
    Please share your thoughts on this statement.

Um, not seeing the connection between the quote and you question frankly. Srsly sweetie, walk away.

Feel free to answer the question and/or comment on the quote. There need not be a direct connection between them. They are two topics that I'm interested in your thoughts on.

Humans have the most adaptable digestive system around. Genes are not a perfect adaptation to the environment but give us the ability to live, adapt and thrive within it and we are constantly adapting and evolving due to enivornmental pressures etc. We have already adapted to startches by creating an enzyme in our saliva, as well as the ability to drink milk past the natural weening age, these are adaptations that came rather recently in our evolutionary history. Also, many of our genes are turned off anyway. So really, talking about genes and diet is rather fruitless. We survive, we thrive, and we even live longer and healthier lives these days so we are doing well in the overall.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

According to many on this site, all we eat are donuts. Never have they considered looking at any of our diaries and seeing a variety of wholesome foods. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook but ice cream and muffins keep me sane.

Oh, I've done it that way too. And when 'donut hour' finally comes around and you've been thinking about it and watching the clock and digging your fingernails into the sofa all afternoon and finally finally it's time and you've been 'good' so you get your little sugary poison reward and you try to make it last as long as possible but even so it's finished far, far too soon and you lick every crumb and bit of frosting off the wrapper and then you start demonstrating your willpower again, a.k.a. counting down the days until the next one?

No thanks. I'd rather have none.

This post raises all sorts of red flags-this is not normal, healthy behavior. It may be time to get some professional help, to deal with your food issues, which seem to go way deeper than your ideas about sugar. A counselor can give you some guidance on how to have a healthy relationship with food, as well as other things you may have going on with your life. There's nothing wrong with seeking help and it may be a big help for you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    good for you cleaning up your diet

Why assume her diet was in need of "cleaning up"?

She explained why she's doing the Whole30, and that's not it.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options

*sigh*

So they must starve if they only eat things derived from a dead era that no longer exist. The whole diet is a study in flawed logic, bad science, and people who don't really follow what they claim to.

Eating veggies, lean meats, eggs, fruit - if that's flawed then you must be eating something else other than Paleo. Everyone eats Paleo of some kind.

There's irony for ya.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

*sigh*

Eating veggies, lean meats, eggs, fruit - if that's flawed then you must be eating something else other than Paleo. Everyone eats Paleo of some kind.

There's irony for ya.

No claiming that you are eating things that no longer exist, that's the irony. Everything these days is neo not Paleo so everything you claim to be eating because of this or that is flawed.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

*sigh*

There's irony for ya.

Vegetarians? Vegans?

ALL THE LEGUMES!

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

*sigh*

There's irony for ya.

no, that is back you know what backwards...

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

*sigh*

There's irony for ya.

Everyone is eating vegan of some kind too. Myself I'm the type of vegan who hasn't given up animal products or meat.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

*sigh*

There's irony for ya.

No claiming that you are eating things that no longer exist, that's the irony. Everything these days is neo not Paleo so everything you claim to be eating because of this or that is flawed.

Cosigned.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

*sigh*

There's irony for ya.

So bread is Paleo...I knew it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

*sigh*

Eating veggies, lean meats, eggs, fruit - if that's flawed then you must be eating something else other than Paleo.

That's an awesome way to eat.

It's just not Paleo, in any meaningful non-marketing sense of the word.

Everyone eats Paleo of some kind.

Other way 'round - nobody eats Paleo of any kind. Those foods are gone, gone gone....and that's not even touching the microbial issue...
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options

*sigh*

There's irony for ya.

Funny stuff. Do you think this matters to me? LOL!
This discussion has been closed.