Carbs after lunch?

Options

Replies

• JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    wesaud wrote: »
    I agree the the OP. I dropped 30 pounds last fall with this same approach. I did no carbs after 2pm. The only carbs I would allow were dark leafy, kale, chard, greens, and Brussel sprouts. The results I gathered came from the reduction of insulin spikes caused by the carbs and their conversion to glucose. In a carb depleted state my body would use fat stores as energy. It worked for my body, glad to he someone else preaching it worked for them.

LOL, why don't you run a little experiment on yourself. Eat no carbs after two pm, but eat in a 500 per day calorie surplus, and report back with what happens. I will go with 100% certainty that you gain weight.

Where did he say he increased his calories by eating no carbs at night? Why would he? If he's losing weight I'm pretty sure he knows the amount of calories he needs to eat. If its easier for some people to lose by not eating carbs at night then why not go with that strategy?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Thanks JSurita. I am and always have been a huge believer in calorie counting. I know that 3,500 cals= a pound and approach weight loss as simple math. I mathematically would calculate my calorie defect and exercise calories and still NEVER loose what I should on the scale. At times I would loose nothing. It is not until I have cut carbs at night (while still maintaining the same amount of daily calories) that I am significantly loosing weight. I know carbs carry water but I keep dropping so I can't imagine it's all water. I was just wondering if anyone else was having positive results with this strategy?

sorry, but you do not defy the laws of physics and math.

if you are not eating carbs after 2pm and losing weight it just means that you are creating a calorie deficit, and that is why you are losing weight. Carbs after a certain time period has nothing to do with it.

I don't think they are hearing this.

probably not ...

but I just want it out there in case a newbie comes in here and thinks this stuff is legitimate...
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    I agree the the OP. I dropped 30 pounds last fall with this same approach. I did no carbs after 2pm. The only carbs I would allow were dark leafy, kale, chard, greens, and Brussel sprouts. The results I gathered came from the reduction of insulin spikes caused by the carbs and their conversion to glucose. In a carb depleted state my body would use fat stores as energy. It worked for my body, glad to he someone else preaching it worked for them.

LOL, why don't you run a little experiment on yourself. Eat no carbs after two pm, but eat in a 500 per day calorie surplus, and report back with what happens. I will go with 100% certainty that you gain weight.

Where did he say he increased his calories by eating no carbs at night? Why would he? If he's losing weight I'm pretty sure he knows the amount of calories he needs to eat. If its easier for some people to lose by not eating carbs at night then why not go with that strategy?

You are missing the point. The point is that just not eating carbs after a certain time is not changing anything.
  • JSurita2
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

You are missing the point. The point is that just not eating carbs after a certain time is not changing anything.

I got that point. I simply said, do whatever works for you. If not eating carbs at night (while still eating at a deficit) is helping her see results then keep doing it.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

If its easier for some people to lose by not eating carbs at night then why not go with that strategy?

But the question in the OP was if the timing of said carb ingestion makes a difference. If someone can go low carbs and lose weight more power to them but let's not get confused about why this works. It's not the lack of carbs or what time you eat the carbs it the calorie deficit.
  • JSurita2
    Options

If its easier for some people to lose by not eating carbs at night then why not go with that strategy?

But the question in the OP was if the timing of said carb ingestion makes a difference. If someone can go low carbs and lose weight more power to them but let's not get confused about why this works. It's not the lack of carbs or what time you eat the carbs it the calorie deficit.

I'm pretty sure I'm not confused.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    its probably more the reduction in calories and possible water retention from the carbs and not depriving yourself from the carbs in and of itself.

you're simply eating less, basically.
  • ndj1979
    Options

because that poster specifically said that carb timing lead to weight loss because of insulin spikes caused by carbs, which is nonsense. Protein spikes insult too, but no one is saying eat that before X time.

so what I am saying is that if the carb timing is leading to the weight loss, eat 500 calories over maintenance for three months and don't eat carbs after two pm, and see what happens.
  • ndj1979
    Options

pretty sure you are...
  • carmel224466
    carmel224466 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is the first post I've ever written on myfitnesspal. I honestly wanted to know if anyone else was seeing success with this method. Some people are being so combative! At no time did I say I was going to ignore what some people believed. I can't believe that you people have time to just argue on myfitnesspal! Some of you have written thousands of posts!!! Just relax, everyone seems to be doing well for their own bodies and maybe what works for some people doesn't work for others. The condescending attitudes are not necessary. I am fully aware of how calorie deficits work but I am seeing success with this method.
  • carmel224466
    carmel224466 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    FYI I'm eating the same amount of calories. I AM NOT CONFUSED EITHER
  • ndj1979
    Options
    This is the first post I've ever written on myfitnesspal. I honestly wanted to know if anyone else was seeing success with this method. Some people are being so combative! At no time did I say I was going to ignore what some people believed. I can't believe that you people have time to just argue on myfitnesspal! Some of you have written thousands of posts!!! Just relax, everyone seems to be doing well for their own bodies and maybe what works for some people doesn't work for others. The condescending attitudes are not necessary. I am fully aware of how calorie deficits work but I am seeing success with this method.

if you believe in carb timing or no carbs after 2pm then no, you don't understand how calorie deficits work. I am not being mean, that is just a fact.
  • JSurita2
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Uh, no!! I'm pretty sure you like to argue just for the sake of arguing. Go pound sand, dude. I'm not entertaining it.

pretty sure you are...

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

do you know how long some of us have been here kicking *kitten* and taking names? Thus the thousands of posts...we're talking years, not a few days or a handful of months.
  • JSurita2
    Options

Good for you! Like I said, if this method works for you then keep doing it. Everyone is different but the bottom line is truly eating less calories then you burn. Some people love to argue, not sure why.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Uh, no!! I'm pretty sure you like to argue just for the sake of arguing. Go pound sand, dude. I'm not entertaining it.

pretty sure you are...

nope, I am just correcting the record for science and what not.

and you are the one name calling, not me.

• JSurita2
    Options

pretty sure you are...

Now I'm name calling? Hmmm, I must've missed that one.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

it's not success that is going to continue for you long-term. the point we are trying to make to you is this: the weight you are seeing is water weight. When you eliminate the late-day carbs, you eliminate a food that causes you to retain water. So what you are seeing on the scale isn't fat loss, it's water that wasn't retained. This is something that happens often when people start a low-carb diet. The problem is it doesn't continue long-term, the people doing it think it's not working anymore, and give up. I'm not trying to be condescending, I'm trying to get you to understand that it doesn't matter what time you eat any of the foods you eat; as long as you are eating in a deficit, your long-term weight loss will continue at the same steady rate.
  • ndj1979
    Options

pretty sure you are...

Now I'm name calling? Hmmm, I must've missed that one.

telling someone to "pound sand" is the equivalent of telling them to F off...

funny, you don't practice what you preach.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Incorrect information needs to be corrected even if the OP'er doesnt like the response he/she gets. Even if others respond with misleading information it needs to be corrected so no one has a missunderstanding of how weight loss works and is mislead.
This discussion has been closed.