Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Exacly, if you eat to much protein even more insulin is released and some of the protein will be converted in glicose by the body, the point carbs and calories are not the enemy, is the way you eat them to make your body have the best performance possible.

how should we eat them?

Everyone is different, i get lean as hell and almost never drop bellow 300 grams carbs per day, but i try to avoid bad fats, and my carbs are all complex carbs, fiber i have a lot, and in every meal. But i don't cut carbs at night, the right carbs make me burn more fat and fell better, i fell great on diet. the wrong carbs i get fat as hell in weeks

Wait, there are bad fats and right and wrong carbs??? Please expand.

Think of carbs like energy nothing more.

if you get carbs that get the energy to you slower you will have energy more time, fell better more time and will end up eating a lot more of volume, usually complex carbs and fiber foods have much more volume than simple sugars.

if you eat fast carbs, your body have that energy that cannot use all at that time, will save it for later in fat.

ROFL, no.

And you still haven't explained bad fats.

i would like to know why the "ROFL,no" have anything to say or explain?

Okay, let's say I have a can of coke. We all agree there's a decent whack of sugar in there (NZ coke actually uses cane sugar, not HFCS, but that's neither here nor there for the purpose of this example). By your rationale, since my body can't use all the energy from that delicious coke all at once, I will store it as fat. Even if I'm at a calorie deficit. Which sorry, just isn't true.

And still waiting to hear about bad fats. What did they do?? Hold up a liquor store??

http://www.helpguide.org/articles/healthy-eating/choosing-healthy-fats.htm

if all fats are equal, why just not eat engine oil....

Your engine oil analogy is ridiculous. And you may want to catch up with the latest on saturated fats. No longer the boogyman sorry.

You haven't answered my question about the can of coke.
  • portugaline
    portugaline Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    when you have less calories during the day that you used, the energy is not only taken from fat.

your muscles also get depleted, some of your organs also can store fat...

so you body have to 1st replace and recover all the glycogen needed, and then yes if you eat more sugar that you need what you want it to do? will store it.
  • portugaline
    Options
    Exacly, if you eat to much protein even more insulin is released and some of the protein will be converted in glicose by the body, the point carbs and calories are not the enemy, is the way you eat them to make your body have the best performance possible.

how should we eat them?

Everyone is different, i get lean as hell and almost never drop bellow 300 grams carbs per day, but i try to avoid bad fats, and my carbs are all complex carbs, fiber i have a lot, and in every meal. But i don't cut carbs at night, the right carbs make me burn more fat and fell better, i fell great on diet. the wrong carbs i get fat as hell in weeks

if you get carbs that get the energy to you slower you will have energy more time, fell better more time and will end up eating a lot more of volume, usually complex carbs and fiber foods have much more volume than simple sugars.

if you eat fast carbs, your body have that energy that cannot use all at that time, will save it for later in fat.

ROFL, no.

Okay, let's say I have a can of coke. We all agree there's a decent whack of sugar in there (NZ coke actually uses cane sugar, not HFCS, but that's neither here nor there for the purpose of this example). By your rationale, since my body can't use all the energy from that delicious coke all at once, I will store it as fat. Even if I'm at a calorie deficit. Which sorry, just isn't true.

And still waiting to hear about bad fats. What did they do?? Hold up a liquor store??

Your engine oil analogy is ridiculous. And you may want to catch up with the latest on saturated fats. No longer the boogyman sorry.

You have to realize that CALORIES IN AND OUT WORK, but is a guideline, not to do stupid things... if you think all it matters is calories why not eat all you need at the morning and no more during the day? just take a full pizza for breakfast and no more, i'm sure it will work great..
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

how should we eat them?

ROFL, no.

You have to realize that CALORIES IN AND OUT WORK, but is a guideline, not to do stupid things... if you think all it matters is calories why not eat all you need at the morning and no more during the day? just take a full pizza for breakfast and no more, i'm sure it will work great..

If all I care about is losing weight, yep, that would work just fine assuming the pizza leaves me with a calorie deficit (which the ones I get do).
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    What a flipping joke. OP obviously doesn't really care about the truth, as is evidenced by the fact that she waits and just says "thank you!" to any poster who says "You're right!" to her original post. Any of us who have given her factual information and reasoning as to why she's wrong and anyone who agrees with her is wrong are ignored or told we're fanatics.
    Portugaline, some people do only eat one meal a day. If it's below their daily calorie goals, they lose weight. some of the people I know who do this are health care workers who work 12-hours or more at a stretch. They use their time off to sleep.
    Some people only eat twice a day. Some people eat six times a day. It doesn't matter how many times a day you eat, if you are at or below deficit, you will lose weight.
    Whether or not you will be healthy depends on macros and overall nutrient intake. Which is why I was saying earlier it's not necessary to cut carbs, as a well-rounded diet is a better idea.
  • portugaline
    Options
    no it would not work, your body will realize that haves no energy during the day...

will do what it does better, will reduce your metabolism in the effort to save more energy and spend energy slower...

Can I ask you a question? how do you know the calories you need during the day?

i would like you to explain to me... just this question..
  • mccindy72
    Options
    no it would not work, your body will realize that haves no energy during the day...

will do what it does better, will reduce your metabolism in the effort to save more energy and spend energy slower...

by calculating both BMR and TDEE.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Really????
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options

how should we eat them?

ROFL, no.

If I could eat a 1700 calorie pizza in the morning and nothing else, I WILL lose weight since it's less than my TDEE. Would I be happy? Right after, yeah! Pizza is awesome. But around dinner time, I would be super hangry!

I think some goals are getting mixed up. Carbs have a rightful place in our diet, even the "bad" ones (a treat at the end of the day helps me adhere to my calorie goal). They can't make up your entire diet because we have a protein minimum to reach if we care about our body's composition (body fat vs. lean body mass). Once our nutritional needs are met, we can indulge with our remaining calories without adversely affecting our goals.

OP, you may find this simple set of guidelines helpful.

~For weight loss: calories in < calories out.
    ~For body composition: get enough protein and lift heavy (or do some other progressive resistance training).
    ~For overall health: get enough fat, micronutrients, water, rest from exercise, sleep, maybe some cardio.
    ~For your sanity: don't eliminate a whole group of foods for no medical reason. This plan is for LIFE!

Moderation, variation, and no unnecessary elimination! Good luck! :smile:

• portugaline
    Options
    BMR calculates your metabolism based on age. so is not a accurate number because the metabolism can change much from person to person. also your body composition affects your metabolism...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    No just no....
    Many people here keep just counting calories, people you don't even know for sure How many calories you burn, you can estimate but will never know.

And a calorie is not just a calorie, protein, different carbs, fat, fiber all changes the way you gain or lose weight.

1st you need to remember that fiber is counted as 4 calories, and your body cannot use most of fiber....

2nd there are hormones in our body, and the most important to "control" to lose weight is insulin..
    If you eat carbs, especially sugars, you will get an alarm inside your body to produce insulin, insulin will then be present in your body for some hours and the only thing that insulin does is keeping saving all calories, can be as glycogen to the muscles or FATTTT.

Thats why most people cut down they carbs and get good results, but people remember there are complex carbs like oatmeal, that have one king of fiber that can control your insulin levels during hours, so try to go to complex carbs, and you should even lose more weight. About calories, your body needs energy to burn more energy, it means the more you can eat and stay lean, the fastest will be you metabolism and you can eat more and lose more weight.

Count your calories but always remember from where they come from..

*smh* really????? site sources please...and not a blog or an aritcle in men's fitness please.

FIBER

FIBER HAS CALORIES?
    Some people consider fiber calorie-free, assuming that it just provides bulk to the diet, but what many people don't realize is that bacteria in your gut feed on some types of fiber. They chow down on your dietary bulk and it results in the production of short-chain fatty acids, which your body can use. So from that point of view, fiber would count as calories.

However, not all the fiber that you eat meets this fate, and there's no clear consensus on fiber's caloric contribution. On one hand, the FDA estimates the amount of caloric contribution due to bacterial degradation at about 1.5 calories per gram of fiber. However, different countries and institutions have divergent ideas of what fiber is, let alone how to calculate it in any given meal. The FDA's estimate is just that, an estimate.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-macro-manager-does-fiber-count-in-calories.html

CARBS AND INSULIN
    harvard university
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/carbohydrates-and-blood-sugar/

YOU JUST NEED TO LOOK ONLINE INSTEAD OF JUST SAYING NO, YOUR BODY IS NOT SIMPLE NUMBERS.

Fiber=carb so of course it has 4 calories per gram.

but since I don't subscribe to net carbs....it's all just energy for me.

no I don't need to look online for info I go and chat with intelligent people who know what they are talking about and don't subscribe to bro science.
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

how should we eat them?

By what process are carbs converted to fat?

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/cellular-microscopic/fat-cell2.htm

when you eat carbs, you produce insulin, and insulin is the hormone that stores energy as fat.

and since I have personal experience with insulin and lack of it I can tell you this...

Insulin allows your body to use sugar (glucose) from carbohydrates in the food that you eat for energy or to store glucose for future use.

Insulin is often described as a “key,” which unlocks the cell to allow sugar to enter the cell and be used for energy.

If you have more sugar in your body than it needs, insulin helps store the sugar in your liver and releases it when your blood sugar level is low or if you need more sugar, such as in between meals or during physical activity.

So perhaps instead of browsing bodybuilding.com...you should read medical journals and talk to people who know the scoop....
  • mccindy72
    Options
    BMR calculates your metabolism based on age. so is not a accurate number because the metabolism can change much from person to person. also your body composition affects your metabolism...

lol wut? Basal metabolic rate for one individual, calculated for age right now, size, weight, height and activity level is not accurate? With body measurements? I don't know what kind of steroids you use, but I think they are affecting your thinking.....
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Now go back up to my previous longer post and answer my post to you, Portugaline. You never responded to me.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Oh good greif it would too work. If you are at a deficit you will lose weight. Time of day does not matter and type of food does not matter for weight loss as long as you are at a deficit. People like you are the type that confuse new people to the forum which is why you are getting so many responses, most of which are being said in jest in case you didn't pick up on that. You are complicating things WAY too much.

• Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Ever hear of the Twinkie Diet? I am by no means advocating just eating twinkies, or pizza for that matter, but for the sole purpose of weight loss you will lose weight at a calorie deficit doing either of those things. And you know everyone's metabolism slows somewhat eating at a calorie deficit for a prolonged period, right?
    mccindy72 wrote: »

by calculating both BMR and TDEE.

^^This. I used online calculators to estimate my calorie needs. Is it 100% accurate? No, it's an estimate. It provides a good baseline to get started from. I then subtracted 500 cals from my TDEE to create a deficit that should result in a 1lb loss per week. Now, as it turns out, I appear to be losing a little faster than that (despite eating pizza and gelato), so we could safely assume that my TDEE is actually a little higher than the estimate.
  • portugaline
    Options
    No just no....
    Many people here keep just counting calories, people you don't even know for sure How many calories you burn, you can estimate but will never know.

And a calorie is not just a calorie, protein, different carbs, fat, fiber all changes the way you gain or lose weight.

1st you need to remember that fiber is counted as 4 calories, and your body cannot use most of fiber....

2nd there are hormones in our body, and the most important to "control" to lose weight is insulin..
    If you eat carbs, especially sugars, you will get an alarm inside your body to produce insulin, insulin will then be present in your body for some hours and the only thing that insulin does is keeping saving all calories, can be as glycogen to the muscles or FATTTT.

Thats why most people cut down they carbs and get good results, but people remember there are complex carbs like oatmeal, that have one king of fiber that can control your insulin levels during hours, so try to go to complex carbs, and you should even lose more weight. About calories, your body needs energy to burn more energy, it means the more you can eat and stay lean, the fastest will be you metabolism and you can eat more and lose more weight.

Count your calories but always remember from where they come from..

*smh* really????? site sources please...and not a blog or an aritcle in men's fitness please.

FIBER

FIBER HAS CALORIES?
    Some people consider fiber calorie-free, assuming that it just provides bulk to the diet, but what many people don't realize is that bacteria in your gut feed on some types of fiber. They chow down on your dietary bulk and it results in the production of short-chain fatty acids, which your body can use. So from that point of view, fiber would count as calories.

However, not all the fiber that you eat meets this fate, and there's no clear consensus on fiber's caloric contribution. On one hand, the FDA estimates the amount of caloric contribution due to bacterial degradation at about 1.5 calories per gram of fiber. However, different countries and institutions have divergent ideas of what fiber is, let alone how to calculate it in any given meal. The FDA's estimate is just that, an estimate.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-macro-manager-does-fiber-count-in-calories.html

CARBS AND INSULIN
    harvard university
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/carbohydrates-and-blood-sugar/

YOU JUST NEED TO LOOK ONLINE INSTEAD OF JUST SAYING NO, YOUR BODY IS NOT SIMPLE NUMBERS.

Fiber=carb so of course it has 4 calories per gram.

but since I don't subscribe to net carbs....it's all just energy for me.

no I don't need to look online for info I go and chat with intelligent people who know what they are talking about and don't subscribe to bro science.
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

how should we eat them?

By what process are carbs converted to fat?

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/cellular-microscopic/fat-cell2.htm

when you eat carbs, you produce insulin, and insulin is the hormone that stores energy as fat.

and since I have personal experience with insulin and lack of it I can tell you this...

Insulin allows your body to use sugar (glucose) from carbohydrates in the food that you eat for energy or to store glucose for future use.

Insulin is often described as a “key,” which unlocks the cell to allow sugar to enter the cell and be used for energy.

If you have more sugar in your body than it needs, insulin helps store the sugar in your liver and releases it when your blood sugar level is low or if you need more sugar, such as in between meals or during physical activity.

So perhaps instead of browsing bodybuilding.com...you should read medical journals and talk to people who know the scoop....

No mate, more sugar more insulin your pancreas produces, not the other way around.

using the exemple of bodybuilders, if they inject more insulin than the carbs they need they end up in hyperglycaemia, comma and death.

• portugaline
    Options

lol wut? Basal metabolic rate for one individual, calculated for age right now, size, weight, height and activity level is not accurate? With body measurements? I don't know what kind of steroids you use, but I think they are affecting your thinking.....

once again i have been polite to everyone, don't know you from anywhere please responde polite or no need to talk.
  • mccindy72
    Options

once again i have been polite to everyone, don't know you from anywhere please responde polite or no need to talk.

Please scroll back to my longer post above and answer my post to you.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    ChrisManch wrote: »
    When scientists measure the calories in food what they do is dry out out completely in an oven and then burn it in an oxygen atmosphere and measure how much heat it produces.

However this is not how your body digest foods, it is much more complex than that. You can't get MORE calories out of the food, but you can get less.

Your digestive system detects when food is present, and then release enzymes to break it down. It evolved for a mixed diet of fat, protein and carbs and it works very efficiently for that.

However they way it detects "food" is to detect carbs, so when carbs are present in food it releases enzymes, including those that break down fat. If you don't have carbs in your meal then much less of the fat enzymes are released and you absorb less of the calories from the fat. It takes a few hours for the fat enzymes to stop working.

So if your evening meal calories are coming from fat and protein, with less carbs, you'll absorb less of the energy from the fat in that meal. This is how low carb diets work.

It doesn't take many carbs to turn on the fat enzyme production, the odd cookie (biscuit) can undo any benefit.

Fat and Protein also make you less hungry.

So eating carbs and protein for half the day, and protein and fat for the other half can mean you absorb less of the calories in the food overall. But you must have a gap of about 5 hours between the 2 sets of meals for it to work.

This is the most eloquent and cogent argument on losing fat weight I've seen on this thread - no offense to the others who have tried but this explains it fully. There's ways to monkey with this (pre and post workout as an example) but overall the principles remain the same. This is the trick.

BTW - when I lost all my weight, I never felt hungry. Not one bit. I was exercising, eating the right foods, timing the food's nutritional profile to certain periods of the day - making tweaks, and it worked. There's no question that a nutrient-dense diet that eliminates the body's ability to store fat over several hours works.

Good post man. Appreciate it - many on here do.
This discussion has been closed.