Absence Before Marriage

Options

Replies

• emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I do think this makes me a better parent than you. To subject my children to the burden of an unwanted pregnancy for the sake of a religious belief would be despicable. Sorry.
    You are far more closed minded than many of the Christians I know! Your problem is that you cannot understand how to parent a child with morals and values based on God while not "burdening" them or making them feel judged, condemned, and unloved. You do realize that many unwanted pregnancies happen to those who are educated on sex and contraception, right?

How you can believe yourself a better parent than I without knowing me or my children is mind boggling. You are far more judgy than those you've been calling out here.

You would not provide your children with birth control. I would. That is the basis of my comparison.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You would not provide your children with birth control. I would. That is the basis of my comparison.

And you believe that makes you a better parent?
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I do think this makes me a better parent than you. To subject my children to the burden of an unwanted pregnancy for the sake of a religious belief would be despicable. Sorry.
    You are far more closed minded than many of the Christians I know! Your problem is that you cannot understand how to parent a child with morals and values based on God while not "burdening" them or making them feel judged, condemned, and unloved. You do realize that many unwanted pregnancies happen to those who are educated on sex and contraception, right?

How you can believe yourself a better parent than I without knowing me or my children is mind boggling. You are far more judgy than those you've been calling out here.

That doesn't make someone a bad parent, my mom never gave me or my sister birth control either...it's not like not being on birth control is going to change anything. Honestly that's just going to make most young people think they now don't need to use condoms while having sex, because many teens don't get it
  • emergencytennis
    Options

Well, I guess I can stand to say it three times.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I was celibate until I found my ultimate partner. He is my first and my only. I chose to be celibate for spiritual reasons and not religious, so I had no issues breaking my celibacy without being married.

There needs to be a good reason or reasons to choose celibate and if the only focus is to wait to be married, the reason, I believe, is not substantial enough to make it count. Most adults, however, have good, solid reasons.

Because I was celibate, I did not date. I did not want to have to choose on a daily basis to practice abstinance. That would be a drag for me and my 'date'.
  • Cajoke123
    Cajoke123 Posts: 54
    Options
    I don't like atheists. And they don't like me. Leave it at that.

So yeah.. I shouldn't have compared it to stealing. Stealing is less of a sin, IMHO.

Thank god you aren't your God, then. He doesn't have grades of sins,

There is actually a debate about this. True the Christian God's punishment for all sin was death, no matter how small it is, but I do think that there are different levels. For example I think that mass-murdering millions of people is a worse sin then speeding. They originally had the same punishment, but I don't think they are on the same level. There are a couple verses to this effect in the Bible in Matthew.

Is that right? So, how would we go about equating shagging next-door's younger son against, say, nicking some Mentos when
    I picked up Dad's newspaper?

I think that only God knows, since he's the one who made the laws. That is, if you are a Christian.

I believe that sin is sin. He hates it all. "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God". So do levels really matter? They are forgiven if you ask and believe that Jesus died for them.

I do really agree with you here. I think there are levels, since like I said earlier murder is worse then stealing, but the bottom line is that Jesus died for all of them. I was just trying to defend another poster haha, but I definitely see where you are coming from.
  • Cajoke123
    Options

So yeah.. I shouldn't have compared it to stealing. Stealing is less of a sin, IMHO.

There is actually a debate about this. True the Christian God's punishment for all sin was death, no matter how small it is, but I do think that there are different levels. For example I think that mass-murdering millions of people is a worse sin then speeding. They originally had the same punishment, but I don't think they are on the same level. There are a couple verses to this effect in the Bible in Matthew.

Is that right? So, how would we go about equating shagging next-door's younger son against, say, nicking some Mentos when

I think that only God knows, since he's the one who made the laws. That is, if you are a Christian.

I believe that sin is sin. He hates it all. "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God". So do levels really matter? They are forgiven if you ask and believe that Jesus died for them.

So Hitler and the girl who is shoplifting makeup are on the same level?

No, I don't think so, but both sinned, and both need to be forgiven.
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Back in to see if my suspicions on where this thread was headed were confirmed... lol.
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Tbh would be ideal if she's a heavenly blessed beauty

That feel knowing ur wife isn't a sloot
    You can always teach her the physical stuff nomsayin ;)
  • Cajoke123
    Options

My church taught me that God doesn't hate, that He can't hate so I pretty much just blacked out the rest of what you said.

Well the Bible says that God hates sin...Hosea 9:15
    “Because of all their wickedness in Gilgal, I hated them there. Because of their sinful deeds, I will drive them out of my house. I will no longer love them; all their leaders are rebellious.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

If you know your child is having unprotected sex and you refuse to provide contraceptives because of your own personal religious belief, then yes it kind of does make you the worse parent. You don't have to like or approve of it -- but if your minor child is engaging in irresponsible behavior and you do nothing about it... yeah. Not good.
  • LibertyBelle89
    Options
    that was my original goal when I was a teen...then at 15 I met my boyfriend (going on 9 years next month!) & we dated for about a year and half & lets just say, i eventually caved in & threw that goal out the window at 17 lol, & i dont regret it at all.......& we're still not married!

but I have the utmost respect for women who choice to do that!!!!!!
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Tbh would be ideal if she's a heavenly blessed beauty

That feel knowing ur wife isn't a sloot
    You can always teach her the physical stuff nomsayin ;)

No, I have no idea what you are saying. Could you please explain further?
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options

My church taught me that God doesn't hate, that He can't hate so I pretty much just blacked out the rest of what you said.

Oh honey you need to read your Bible. God hates all sin. It says it all over the Bible. I can give you some examples in private if you need them. He loves US but (use whatever word you like) He abhors, hates. dislikes all sin. Hate means to 'dislike intensely, loathe' and despise something and if you don't think God hates sin then I would dig into the Word and do some research dear one.
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Oh honey you need to read your Bible. God hates all sin. It says it all over the Bible. I can give you some examples in private if you need them. He loves US but (use whatever word you like) He abhors, hates. dislikes all sin. Hate means to 'dislike intensely, loathe' and despise something and if you don't think God hates sin then I would dig into the Word and do some research dear one.

I read it as them saying He hated the sinner not the sin itself my apologies but don't you ever talk down to me like I'm stupid. I know what hate means.
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    I think this whole name-calling is ridiculous, why can we not have an adult conversation without resorting to second grade tactics?

You just called me a second grader? Reported.

Do you need to go to the Principle's office?
  • LibertyBelle89
    Options

If you know your child is having unprotected sex and you refuse to provide contraceptives because of your own personal religious belief, then yes it kind of does make you the worse parent. You don't have to like or approve of it -- but if your minor child is engaging in irresponsible behavior and you do nothing about it... yeah. Not good.

^^^agree 1000000% kids are gonna do what they want to do regardless (doesnt mean you justify it) so why not at least help them be protected?? My mother put me on BC when I was 17 not because she was giving me permission to have sex but she knew that i was gonna do what i wanted anyway & she knew she didnt want to be a grandmother in her early 40's....
  • LibertyBelle89
    Options
    I am all for waiting. My husband and I are each others only lover. We feel its a very special gift to each other and have never regretted it.

If someone won't wait for you then they are in the relationship for the wrong reason.

Good luck to you dear. This is a tough time to hold true to your values but you can do it! God bless you.

^^ this!!! we're each others first (& only!) too...& we feel its a special gift we've given each other also :)
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I can't remember what page it was on (it was lost in the madness), but I'm really not digging the implication that I'm not "pure" because I've had sex outside of marriage. While I know and respect women who choose to wait (even if I don't understand it), I really have to wonder about people who define purity of self in this way.

Some of these definitions of purity seem to be wrapped in religious workings. That's great for you, but I'm going to continue to be a godless heathen.

Also, this thread is really making me appreciate my hippie mother who helped me get birth control. It was initially for reasons other than controlling birth, but she didn't turn all judgmental when I started having sex.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

So Hitler and the girl who is shoplifting makeup are on the same level?

No, I don't think so, but both sinned, and both need to be forgiven.

So how many Hail Marys does Hitler say versus the shoplifting girl?