Extra Calories At The End Of The Day -- What To Do?

Options

Replies

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I want to say thank you to everyone who has given me suggestions other than "weigh your food". While they won't all work ultimately I think I got the answers I needed.

For those of you who have been harping on me to weigh my food. For the last time it has nothing to do with my original question. I am losing without a problem. I have lost 30+ pounds twice before without ever weighing anything. Scales are the most accurate way yes but they aren't absolutely necessary. I do have one and will use it when I feel it's needed (IE: when I have less weight to lose and can't afford inaccuracy).

For those in this thread who have just been unpleasant and/or antagonistic -- this forum is and always has been for people to get help with getting healthy. Having a sh***y attitude and making rude comments is nothing but discouraging. I have a fairly thick skin but I see this crap happen all over this board and it pisses me off. For the person who said I only logged coffee and should try eating food -- do you really think I only drank coffee that day or maybe do you think I just forgot to log the rest? To the person who was pinpointing bad days in my diary...I ate Chinese food at a restaurant (where I couldn't weigh food if I wanted) on Mother's Day. So sue me. To those who have said I'm making excuses -- I've thanked several people for suggestions that I think help. Just because a couple of suggestions don't work for me (from past experience) does not mean I am making excuses. Different things work for different people.

Now how about some positivity and encouragement rather than judgement and negativity.

Backhanded thank you..

Mean people of MFP tirade..

Name calling..

Getting angry over solid advice you don't care to hear..

rDbbngf.gif

I bet people will be falling all over themselves to help you out again.

There was nothing "backhanded" about my thank you. And when did I call anyone a name?
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    As long as you're getting, at the very, very least 1000 per day you should be fine.

Wrong.
    tyismc wrote: »
    So here's my situation -- I have my calories set at 1800 per day. A lot of the time I end up only eating 1200-1400 and 8pm or so rolls around and I have 400-600 left.

Late night snacking is a problem I've always struggled with so I'm very hesitant to eat 600 calories in one sitting 2 hours after I've eaten dinner.

Is it ok to have that large of a deficit several days per week? The impatient person in me wants to do that every single day and drop a lot of weight quickly but the logical person in me wants me to do whatever is going to equal out to a permanent lifestyle change and not a "diet"
    You definitely don't want to eat 600 calories in one sitting late at night because your metabolism rate actually slows down later at night because your less active. It is also can be hard to digest properly that amount of food if your going to bed right after.

That's completely false.
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »
    This one entry also seems to dispute your assertion that what you eat is mostly meat and veggies. It looks like mostly carbs to me.

Well for one that day was Mother's Day and my mom wanted Chinese food. So yeah I'm not going to apologize for that.

Lol...You have a stalker . This is why I don't like having my diary open.

Right, the person is a stalker because they looked at the diary of a person who is asking for help with his intake. Makes no sense.

You need to shill out. I for one was joking. Have some wine and relax ;)
  • Kst76
    Options
    OP, I hope you at least got some help. These forums can be great and sometimes get pretty heated.lol
  • abetterluke
    Options
    OP, I hope you at least got some help. These forums can be great and sometimes get pretty heated.lol

Lol I agree. And yes I've gotten a lot of good answers. I think I can make my days work a bit better from now on. Thank you!
  • Kst76
    Options
    As long as you're getting, at the very, very least 1000 per day you should be fine.

Wrong.
    tyismc wrote: »
    So here's my situation -- I have my calories set at 1800 per day. A lot of the time I end up only eating 1200-1400 and 8pm or so rolls around and I have 400-600 left.

Late night snacking is a problem I've always struggled with so I'm very hesitant to eat 600 calories in one sitting 2 hours after I've eaten dinner.

Is it ok to have that large of a deficit several days per week? The impatient person in me wants to do that every single day and drop a lot of weight quickly but the logical person in me wants me to do whatever is going to equal out to a permanent lifestyle change and not a "diet"
    You definitely don't want to eat 600 calories in one sitting late at night because your metabolism rate actually slows down later at night because your less active. It is also can be hard to digest properly that amount of food if your going to bed right after.

That's completely false.
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »
    This one entry also seems to dispute your assertion that what you eat is mostly meat and veggies. It looks like mostly carbs to me.

Well for one that day was Mother's Day and my mom wanted Chinese food. So yeah I'm not going to apologize for that.

Lol...You have a stalker . This is why I don't like having my diary open.

Right, the person is a stalker because they looked at the diary of a person who is asking for help with his intake. Makes no sense.

You need to shill out. I was joking. Have some wine and relax ;)

Shill out? No idea what you're trying to say.

Chill out then. Sorry, that second language thing hunting me again.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    it's not a popular answer but I say add more fat to your foods, although I won't lie I haven't looked at your diary and from some of the quoted comments, I don't wanna read the drama fest. If you got good answer, go with them and ignore the rude people.
  • poppitron
    poppitron Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eat some breakfast my friend.
  • abetterluke
    Options
    it's not a popular answer but I say add more fat to your foods, although I won't lie I haven't looked at your diary and from some of the quoted comments, I don't wanna read the drama fest. If you got good answer, go with them and ignore the rude people.

I'm not opposed to adding more fats. I don't cut my fat very low as it is but I could ease up a bit and use a bit more oil or eat butter a little more often. Thanks!
  • Kst76
    Options
    Op. No. Don't eat more butter!
    Must be better choices. I don't think you should worry about it. You are losing just fine and you feel good.. right? But don't be worried about eating. Eat if you are hungry.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Did you cut out all calorie dense foods? Cook with a little oil, butter and mayo. Eat some peanut butter.

Not all. I eat peanut butter a couple of times a week for lunch. I also cook with oil and use butter and mayo from time to time. Not a daily occurrence though. Even when I do use those things I don't use very much....except butter...i might as well be paula deen.

Do you weigh your foods on a food scale? If not you could be eating more than you think & already be satiated by eating an amount higher than 1400-1600.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Did you cut out all calorie dense foods? Cook with a little oil, butter and mayo. Eat some peanut butter.

Not all. I eat peanut butter a couple of times a week for lunch. I also cook with oil and use butter and mayo from time to time. Not a daily occurrence though. Even when I do use those things I don't use very much....except butter...i might as well be paula deen.

Do you weigh your foods on a food scale? If not you could be eating more than you think & already be satiated by eating an amount higher than 1400-1600.

This has been suggested numerous times. The OP thought it ridiculous...
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I did not see anywhere how much you are losing and how overweight you are, OP. I have a different suggestion for you - go by how much you lose and not how many calories you *think* you have left as long as you're estimating.

The reason people get into your diary is not to be mean but because they don't want to completely derail you with the wrong advice. I.e. You think you eat 1400 and have 400 left (random examples) but in reality you eat 1750 and have 50 left. That's very possible with eyeballing and if that is the case, all the advice about eating more would be as likely to be wrong as right.

So if you want to eye all, fine, it's up to you. But then don't treat the calories you see in your diary as anything other than a running trend, and even that will be iffy at best. Look to your scale instead (or belt or whatever you prefer to measure progress). If you are losing about as much as is expected based on your weight, pounds left to lose, TDEE etc then no, you don't really have 400 calories left. If you are losing more, than you need to increase your food to prevent muscle loss and not look all squishy when you're slimmer. If you are losing much less then expected, then decrease food or increase exercise. Let your progress be your guide, it will be more accurate than any theory...

I see you're very defensive about advice but I'll offer one more: start working out and do strength training. It's a great way to preserve muscle. I can promise you if you're overweight you have a lot more muscle mass than you think based on how you look (it's hidden under the fat) and if you do the work to preserve it, you'll be amazed how good your body begins to look in just a couple of months and how amazing you'll feel.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I did not see anywhere how much you are losing and how overweight you are, OP. I have a different suggestion for you - go by how much you lose and not how many calories you *think* you have left as long as you're estimating.

The reason people get into your diary is not to be mean but because they don't want to completely derail you with the wrong advice. I.e. You think you eat 1400 and have 400 left (random examples) but in reality you eat 1750 and have 50 left. That's very possible with eyeballing and if that is the case, all the advice about eating more would be as likely to be wrong as right.

So if you want to eye all, fine, it's up to you. But then don't treat the calories you see in your diary as anything other than a running trend, and even that will be iffy at best. Look to your scale instead (or belt or whatever you prefer to measure progress). If you are losing about as much as is expected based on your weight, pounds left to lose, TDEE etc then no, you don't really have 400 calories left. If you are losing more, than you need to increase your food to prevent muscle loss and not look all squishy when you're slimmer. If you are losing much less then expected, then decrease food or increase exercise. Let your progress be your guide, it will be more accurate than any theory...

I see you're very defensive about advice but I'll offer one more: start working out and do strength training. It's a great way to preserve muscle. I can promise you if you're overweight you have a lot more muscle mass than you think based on how you look (it's hidden under the fat) and if you do the work to preserve it, you'll be amazed how good your body begins to look in just a couple of months and how amazing you'll feel.

^^I agree 110%. Spot on!
  • crispaholicshaz
    crispaholicshaz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i have noticed that when u enter exercise into the diary it then frees up more calories.. so maybe that's why u end up with so many left at night.. Also are your portions measured or guessed... i was cheating myself cause i was guessing, instead of weighing, or measuring. having too much fruit cause the apple was bigger etc....