Let's motivate each other! 4 week squat Challenge 6/12/13

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxBtandxdns

Jodios, I found this video of elevator squats. Is this what you're doing? I tried 10 of them and they are a challenge.

:bigsmile: Barbie from surprisingly warm NW Washington
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    95 done.........one-legged is beyond me, I think, but I did find a youtube demo by a guy named Rich Tola (#98--guess he has a whole series) and tried the elevator squats.........10 done........hmm; those are killer!!!

I think we are all hanging in there pretty well!!!
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I looked at the youtube video and those definitely look challenging. :sad:

The way I learned elevator squats is you squat down low (to the 1st floor) on 1 count then you come up a third (2nd floor), another third (3rd floor) and then press all the way up to the fourth floor (3 counts total to come back up). Then after you do 10 of those you count down 3 (1/3, another 1/3 and all the way down) and press up to standing on one count. Before and after these sets you can smooth it out going down on 2 counts and then back up on 2 counts. You can do these with or without weights. If you really want a challenge, finish by pulsing between the 2nd and 3rd floors (1st is all the way down and 4th floor is standing) or if you are a real keener pulse between the 1st and 2nd floors :noway: . The pulsing is a killer!!! :laugh: :laugh: Note these are regular squats: feet hips distance apart and facing forward.

Jodios
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,972 Member
    Options
    I did my 95 for today - 25-25-25-20. Man! you all are nuts! using hand weights, one legged squats, elevator squats?, I just barely have time to do the regular kind! My back and illiotibial syndrome don't let me get too far. I am happy just to get the squats done! Keep on trucking all you adventurous people!
  • barbiecat
    Options
    I did my 95 for today - 25-25-25-20. Man! you all are nuts! using hand weights, one legged squats, elevator squats?, I just barely have time to do the regular kind! My back and illiotibial syndrome don't let me get too far. I am happy just to get the squats done! Keep on trucking all you adventurous people!

:bigsmile: what I like about this challenge is that it allows for variations so different fitness levels can participate.....I saw another squat challenge that said the squats could be in sets but they should all be done in one session----no way could I do that, but I can do 10 at a time throughout the day and as I feel stronger try 10 of some challenging variety.....I do plie squats that allow me to balance better especially when I'm on a grassy surface with one or two dogs on leashes.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    June 30, 2013 5:10 am
    Day One---30 squats
    Day Two----35 squats
    Day Three---40 squats
    Day Four---45 squats
    Day Five---rest day from squats but lots of dog walking
    Day Six--55 squats
    Day Seven---60 squats
    Day Eight---65 squats
    Day Nine---70 squats
    Day Ten--rest from squats but 29,000 steps walking dogs and walking with a friend
    Day Eleven--85 squats----10 of them with hand weights
    Day Twelve---90 squats---30 of them with hand weights
    Day Thirteen---95 squats---30 of them with hand weights
    Day Fourteen--100 squats---30 of them with hand weights
    Day Fifteen----rest day from squats---29,000 steps and two line dance classes laugh
    Day Sixteen---75 squats---30 with hand weights
    Day Seventeen---85 squats---30 with hand weights
    Day Eighteen---95 squats---30 with hand weights --- 5 one legged squats on each leg (not with hand weights:laugh:
    Day Nineteen---105 squats--30 with hand weights--5 one legged squats on each leg---10 elevator squats (like the video)

:flowerforyou: I tried some of the regular squats with pulsing at the bottom and it was a super challenge
  • jodios528
    Options
    Day 1: 30 squats - done: 10 regular, 10 pliee (spelled wrong on purpose because autocorrect keeps changing it to "pile" , 5 one legged right side, 5 one legged left side
    Day 2: 35 squats - done: same as Day 1 + 5 more regular squats
    Day 3: 40 squats - done: same as Day 1 but 10 single leg squats on each side
    Day 4: 45 squats - done: 10 regular; 10 elevator down 1/up 3; 10 elevator down3/up 1, 10 regular slow, 5 pulses

so glad I get to rest these tired legs tomorrow!!!

Have a great day, Jodios:laugh: :love: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • kevrit
    Options
    Day 1 - 30
    Day 2 - 35
    Day 3 - 40
    Day 4 - 45
    Day 5 - Rest
    Day 6 - 55
    Day 7 - 60
    Day 8 - 65
    Day 9 - 70
    Day 10 - Rest
    Day 11 - 85
    Day 12 - 90
    Day 13 - 95
    Day 14 - 100
    Day 15 - Rest
    Day 16 - 75
    Day 17 - 85
    Day 18 - 95
    Day 19 - 105 Got these done. I could never do them all in one session. My goal for this challenge was just to get people moving at whatever level they felt comfortable at. I am glad to see everyone doing it their own way! Participation and just doing them, my goals are met! LOL. Think I will start again once this challenge is done. Anyone game? I actually did 25 - 30 - 25 with a 6 pound medicine ball today and the last 25 here at work on break.
    Day 20 - Rest :drinker:
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I like this challenge and will do it again........I have seen other challenges filled with younger people and too many rules (like do all your squats in one session, or do them a certain way)

maybe when you start the new challenge, you can post the link on women ages 50+ and maybe others will join us.

:drinker: :bigsmile: Barbie
  • jodios528
    Options
    I'm game for the challenge
    Barbie I think your idea of posting it on the women 50+ is great. That's how I found Renny's fruit and veggie challenge :bigsmile:
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Just seen this..... Am gonna start tomorrow though so will finish way after you guys :p do u do them with or without weights?
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Just seen this..... Am gonna start tomorrow though so will finish way after you guys :p do u do them with or without weights?

we'd love to have you join us........we do squats all sorts of ways......read through the posts to see all our variations......I think the challenge started with the idea of just doing squats and different people have added their own touches.
  • kevrit
    Options
    It's never too late to start! Welcome and start wherever you are comfortable. This challenge is pretty lenient. You can do your squats however you want and throughout the day if you want. The idea is just to do them! Good luck and Welcome to the group! :smile:

I will definitely post the new link in the 50 + group as most of us are there! Good idea ladies! This is becoming fun to see all the different way you can do squats! :happy:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    105 done..........50 at gym this am during exercise class with a 3lb weight in each hand; the rest through the day, 10 of those elevator done to jodios instructions (thank you!!!), not the guy on youtube. In to do this again!

Started my elephant lift today..........lifted .8,100 lbs...........I have lifted 2 lions, 5 zebras, and 6 horses!!!! Will lift again Wednesday.
  • beckieboomoo
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
  • jodios528
    Options
    Day 1: 30 squats - done: 10 regular, 10 pliee (spelled wrong on purpose because autocorrect keeps changing it to "pile" , 5 one legged right side, 5 one legged left side
    Day 2: 35 squats - done: same as Day 1 + 5 more regular squats
    Day 3: 40 squats - done: same as Day 1 but 10 single leg squats on each side
    Day 4: 45 squats - done: 10 regular; 10 elevator down 1/up 3; 10 elevator down3/up 1, 10 regular slow, 5 pulses
    Day 5: was suppose to be a rest day but the DVD I got from the library probably had me doing over 100 squats/Plies many with weights

So here are some new squat ideas I got from today's exercise DVD:
    Using a hand weight resting on the front of your right thigh and feet in a close stance, squat down and as you rise up lift your right leg up in front of you about 45 degrees (repeat 10 times)
    Move the hand weight to the outside of your thigh and widen your stance, squat down and as you rise up lift your right leg straight out to the side about 45 degrees (repeat 10 times)
    Move the hand weight to the corner of your right thigh (about half way between the front and the outside sitting on the bulgey part of your quad), squat down and lift your leg out at an angle (about half way between forward and to the side - keep the knee turned in and down). (repeat 10 times)
    Go back to the narrow stance, weight in front of the right thigh and repeat that first set again for 10 reps.
    Repeat the whole thing on the left

That was 80 just for that section and there were lots of other sections with squats :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Have a great day. Jodios :bigsmile:
  • kevrit
    Options
    Holy cow Judios! What was the name of the video?
  • jodios528
    Options
    Believe it or not it was Jazzercise Live!!! I did the interval option and they stick strength training sections in between the cardio numbers. I never did Jazzercise before. I always like to try out new DVDs at the library. I really sweat to this one.
  • beckieboomoo
    Options
    day one done :D
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Day One---30 squats
    Day Two----35 squats
    Day Three---40 squats
    Day Four---45 squats
    Day Five---rest day from squats but lots of dog walking
    Day Six--55 squats
    Day Seven---60 squats
    Day Eight---65 squats
    Day Nine---70 squats
    Day Ten--rest from squats but 29,000 steps walking dogs and walking with a friend
    Day Eleven--85 squats----10 of them with hand weights
    Day Twelve---90 squats---30 of them with hand weights
    Day Thirteen---95 squats---30 of them with hand weights
    Day Fourteen--100 squats---30 of them with hand weights
    Day Fifteen----rest day from squats---29,000 steps and two line dance classes laugh
    Day Sixteen---75 squats---30 with hand weights
    Day Seventeen---85 squats---30 with hand weights
    Day Eighteen---95 squats---30 with hand weights --- 5 one legged squats on each leg (not with hand weights:laugh:
    Day Nineteen---105 squats--30 with hand weights--5 one legged squats on each leg---10 elevator squats (like the video)
    Day Twenty---rest day except for 22,000 steps walking dogs
    Day Twenty-one---125 squats--30 with hand weights and the rest with pulsing at the bottom

1433479le3q4a7az6.gif