How can I get toned with strength training without looking bulky?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    And here's my contribution again.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/511229/bulky-vs-muscular-the-real-definition/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,459 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    e8aef07b28042338b1e578db698ed748.jpg

Hey, I can do that since I gained some useful muscles! Plus a lot of other, more useful things.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Oh geez! Again! I can't believe this is still an issue. Yeah, all I did was LOOK at a dumbbell and I just bulked up like you won't believe.
    I am pretty new at this. I usually have more common sense and assume correctly. I'm only human. I didn't know I wasn't allowed to make mistakes or be a bit ignorant once in a while. No need to be sarcastic.

Definitely don't feel bad! It's a common misconception! I spent years doing the calorie counting/cardio thing and kept failing because I just couldn't maintain it. It sucked. It's because of MFP and posts such as this one that I learned how wrong I'd been. Have started lifting- and am only in my sixth week of it- and have seen amazing results already. When I tried to tell my husband I'd like to purchase the next weight level up in dumbbells (I like to have some at home for if I can't get to the gym), he said, "I don't know why you'd ever need anything more than what you have now. I can't see you ever need anything that heavy. What, do you want to be bigger than me?" He's still caught in that mindset, and I've only just gotten out of it (and am still adjusting to it, TBH). We all have that moment where we don't know... and then we do. No need for people to be rude about it. I get where they're coming from because it can be SO super frustrating to have to correct the same misinformation over and over again; however, at the same time, it's such a common misconception that we have to expect that it's going to be around for quite some time, yet. :)
  • dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It is kind of hard to keep my level of 'this is just a sarcastic skit' up and not get offended by the ongoing sexist, stupid crap in that video

so chuckling .. nah

a couple of vague smiles perhaps

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,459 Member
    Options
    I just want those 7 minutes of my life back. I was hoping it gets funny, but it doesn't.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Nerdycurls wrote: »
    Yes, I do believe a certain layer of fat is required if you're interested in a physical ideal. I'll own that...but I am not really interested in looking like Madonna or having Jessica's arms because that's not appealing to me. The "stacked" look or high muscle definition if you will. Personally, I find a physique like Maria Menounos to be appealing because she has muscle without it being obvious.

http://www.spyghana.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/maria-menounos-body-diet.jpg

Yes i agree.
    Maria has a very good physique and Rhianna in the photo below as well.
    But that's my opinion.
    Some women with Muscles do look great,...i'd actually love to have slightly more muscular Legs tbh.
    But i just think some people can overdo it.

ya5q2rd5y53r.jpg
    4z555ybxgrnu.jpg

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    So she was lean and shredded in this picture. I don't see a lot of muscle mass though which is what bulky is.

She looks bulky to me in the image above (the jogging one). Sorry if my opinion bothers some of you :p

But I agree, there's also the whole 'low body fat' thing (which I'm definitely not afraid of getting, because that's not gonna happen). But it's a good point. And that's the problem with lifting, you can't decide where you lose the fat, so you might end up with arms more defined than you'd like just to get a flat belly.

It doesn't bother me that you find her low body fat% a problem. Calling it bulky is the problem because she is not bulky in those pics.

If your body fat drops to low than you can switch to eating in surplus and gain more fat to cover the muscle definition.

I don't see the point. And I don't understand why it's so hard for some people to get that some women don't necessarily want more muscle anyway?
    mantium999 wrote: »
    So she was lean and shredded in this picture. I don't see a lot of muscle mass though which is what bulky is.

She looks bulky to me in the image above (the jogging one). Sorry if my opinion bothers some of you :p

But I agree, there's also the whole 'low body fat' thing (which I'm definitely not afraid of getting, because that's not gonna happen). But it's a good point. And that's the problem with lifting, you can't decide where you lose the fat, so you might end up with arms more defined than you'd like just to get a flat belly.

You don't just "end up with arms more defined than you'd like", while eating in a way that will provide a flat belly. Just, flat out, ain't gonna happen. If, while losing weight, and lifting, you find your arms, or legs, or pinky muscles to be progressing toward a look you find unappealing, simply change your method of exercise. But nobody accidentally turns out bulky, lean, defined, fat, or obese.

Actually, yeah. I like my arms right now. I don't want them more defined. But if I start focusing more on lifting to lose more fat in my midsection, I will probably end up losing fat in my arms too, which is what I don't want.
    Emilia777 wrote: »

You’re more than welcome to your opinion, even if our opinions are different. One thing I don’t get though is what people who think that’s bulky (i.e. yourself) consider to be an ideal look. Can you post some photos/links? I’m actually curious.

@HeySwoleSister Glad you enjoyed it! And lol @ the name, that’s pretty funny.

Sure.

Rose-McIver-2014-CW-Network-Upfront-03.jpg

There's just no way I could get there because my arms look like hers, but I still have fat in my midsection because genetics. So again... either it's more muscular arms (because lower body fat on them) or a flat belly (ok, if I didn't have loose skin) for me.

All I'm saying is that no, it's not always possible to get the look you're looking for depending on your genetics. I'd probably end up with arms like Madonna before I lose the rest of my belly/hip fat... which looks 'muscular' and 'bulky' to me. I think it's what people mean when they say that they don't want to get bulky by lifting... I don't want arms like that. Legs I don't care, but they're pretty lean and muscular already as well (because again, all my fat is in my midsection, lol).

I guess we all have different ideas of what we want and what we find attractive.
    JenSD6 wrote: »
    evileen99 wrote: »
    weights_zps77901ae3.jpg

I think the woman in green in this image looks absolutely AMAZING! I would really love to have her physique.

She does but again, everyone who lifts won't end like that. My arms would look way more defined than hers by the time I get her belly.

Interesting the unknown drive you to be where you are. I would understand if you said my body fat got too low for my stomach to be flat and my arms were too defined. You saying probably makes this funny to me.

You don't understand that using wrong terminology is a problem?

I don't see why it's such a big deal... because again I'm quite sure that for a lot of women, Madonna DOES look bulky.

She does well lets see.

I have no idea what you mean. You're bothering me about using the wrong terminology but some of what you says make no sense at all. Whatever...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10178908/ladies-does-she-look-bulky#latest
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

edited bc I just don't care anymore. Good day people
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    This thread will never turn out well no matter what people say because it's just a bunch of opinions. There's nothing wrong with opinions but I need a topic like this it will divide everyone. We will all prefer to look a certain way and be attracted to a certain look on the opposite sexton and that's fine. I can guarantee you that what I'm attracted to is not what a bunch of guys are attracted to. I know one guy though that probably would be somewhat agreeing with the preference and that's the fool yoyo right above me. :D But that's because he's voiced it here in the past. Don't worry bro, I'm a fool too :/

I don't know man, that seems to be a very limiting pool of potential mates.

kb0o4ig865qs.jpg

[I know that was a typo / autocorrect :p ]

• lindseyyoungg
    lindseyyoungg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a 12 were bikini body guide that's 28 mins 3 times a week, then walk for 30 mins the other 3. Sunday's are off days. Message me if you're interested, it's amazing and really tones the body with only the small weight you mentioned and stuff you can use around the house. Most of the exercises don't require more than that... Although you do use a jump rope sometimes! I got mine at Walmart for $5!!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    K well, I think that if you don't want the "obvious muscle" look, but want to be at a healthy BMI, then if you maintain at, say, approx. 25% body fat, you will be where you want to be. Women's bodies tend to look shapely but also smooth at this %. It's not THAT precise but they do make those Tanita body fat scales which could be a tool for you to use. All you need for the aesthetic purpose is to get a decent ballpark idea of body fat %. Weigh first thing in the AM, after using the bathroom, before consuming any food or liquids so that your measurements will be as consistent and accurate as possible.

I would love to save up the money for one of those scales myself. I haven't had my body fat checked since November 2014 because in January my job changed our insurance to one of those cheapskate plans that doesn't pay for nutritionists or dietitians, and my regular doctor measures pounds only and not lean body weight, body fat, etc. I have changed my appearance for the better since then while not changing my weight or clothing size, and would like to know... well, what's what! lol
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    K well, I think that if you don't want the "obvious muscle" look, but want to be at a healthy BMI, then if you maintain at, say, approx. 25% body fat, you will be where you want to be. Women's bodies tend to look shapely but also smooth at this %. It's not THAT precise but they do make those Tanita body fat scales which could be a tool for you to use. All you need for the aesthetic purpose is to get a decent ballpark idea of body fat %. Weigh first thing in the AM, after using the bathroom, before consuming any food or liquids so that your measurements will be as consistent and accurate as possible.

I would love to save up the money for one of those scales myself. I haven't had my body fat checked since November 2014 because in January my job changed our insurance to one of those cheapskate plans that doesn't pay for nutritionists or dietitians, and my regular doctor measures pounds only and not lean body weight, body fat, etc. I have changed my appearance for the better since then while not changing my weight or clothing size, and would like to know... well, what's what! lol
    If you keep your hydration and time of weighing the same, the electronic pulse scales can kind of, sort of, almost maybe tell something about how your body fat is changing.
    As for accurate - I'm 5'7.5" (adding the half inch to be nice to the scale, really!), 203.7, and somehow 24.8% BF. I have a hard time imagining my bones are dense enough to put me at over 150 pounds of LBM. I've had others tell me my LBM was over 165 pounds at times ... that isn't really possible at my height naturally.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    2 looks:

SWOLE

NOT SWOLE

choose wisely
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    2 looks:

SWOLE

NOT SWOLE

choose wisely

SWOLE
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »

If you keep your hydration and time of weighing the same, the electronic pulse scales can kind of, sort of, almost maybe tell something about how your body fat is changing.
    As for accurate - I'm 5'7.5" (adding the half inch to be nice to the scale, really!), 203.7, and somehow 24.8% BF. I have a hard time imagining my bones are dense enough to put me at over 150 pounds of LBM. I've had others tell me my LBM was over 165 pounds at times ... that isn't really possible at my height naturally.

Huh?
    Your LBM cannot be at 165 naturally for your height?