WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Jack and I went to Sam's Club to buy everything we'll need for the birthday party on Sunday, the 28th. I think there'll be about 17 of us. I didn't get up and go to the early water class and don't like going to the late one cuz its too crowded. I'll need to make up today up one day during the week. So we just got ready and went to Sam's.

I too am very tempted to weigh myself every day, even knowing how negatively it effects my day if I gain when I think I should have lost, or false triumph when I didn't gain when I ate over my calorie limit the day before. That's one of my goals to break the habit letting the scale be my dictator. I can some times go for a few weeks weighing once a week and then I start slipping into the bad habit. Ugh

Hot and windy here today, it drys everything out so badly. Right now everything is beautifully green tho because of all the rain we've had. I love looking out over the pecan orchard and back to the llama pasture and seeing nothing but green. We spend most of our time in our Florida room so we can see the outdoors from inside. :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,622 Member
    Options
    *Carey: Wow!-- 1500 trees? Do you live in a forest?

*Heather: "Knackered" and "nattered". Almost rhymes :)

*Pip-- You inspired me with your bike marathon the other day: I rode for 20 minutes to my son's basketball game y'day and so many friends complimented me on my effort once I got to his gym. Fun stuff, and kept the cardio going!

WE CAN DO THIS!nodding-yes-by-a-very-happy-smiley-emoticon.gif

glad to hear it! :0) keep pedaling!
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    The power at home is still out, so all 3 of "the boys" are in an uproar. My Dad can't get his car in the garage, so his car is in the street. DS can't play videogames so he is in the driveway playing basketball, which means DH also had to put his car in the street. Grandpa and DH are probably both attempting to take naps, but with the windows open, I'm sure the sound of the basketball is annoying. I'm glad I'm at work. Soon I will eat my cherries, finish my paperwork, stop at PigglyWiggly for more cherries ($1.99/pound), then finish packing for tomorrow. yay for trips that have NOTHING to do with sports. :D

I will do my best to workout and log my food, to minimize the damage over the next week, because I'm not losing fast enough to win the contest at work. Keep the good thoughts coming, so I can feel your support over all the miles (and through all the loud Country Music).

Hugs all around ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    BTW I forget who said they refer to our group as "fat chat' lol I love it, doesn't bother me and its easy to roll off the tongue :)
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke is a repeat, but it's cute and there are several new ladies who might not have seen it.

:)

Two classmates were chatting in their lunch break... "I know how to get money real quick" says one,” how?"

"go to your dad and say, "I know the truth" and he'll give you money"

So the young boy went home and said "dad, I know the truth" and his dad gave him ten dollars and told him not to tell anyone 'the truth'.

He then went to his mother, " Mom, I know the truth” he said.

"Please don't tell your dad" she said and gave him twenty dollars.

Content with thirty dollars he went outside to go to the arcade and saw the milkman. "I know the truth,” he shouted out.

The milkman replied "Well come and hug your real father then"

:D
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Good one!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,622 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    BTW I forget who said they refer to our group as "fat chat' lol I love it, doesn't bother me and its easy to roll off the tongue :)

doesn't bother me but i'm not fat, at least haven't been for a few years now :0/
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Cynthia: I’m baffled. Same horse, same saddle, same length of lesson as always BUT I did spend a lot more time posting than ever before. I’m guessing the trouble came from my backside hitting the seat in the wrong place or way. At least my knee didn’t get inflamed. I’ll talk it over with my teacher the next time I have a lesson. I’m getting two weeks off, due to a family trip and the fourth of July. I hope it is long enough to heal. :laugh:

Pip: I’m with Cynthia on the sanitary pad. I haven’t used one since I discovered tampons. Then again, I haven’t needed tampons in almost 2 decades, either. There are some very nice perks to being a post-menopausal woman. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I did buy some padded bike shorts that I haven’t used for horseback riding until now, but they may be under my jeans next time. They do a good job for me in spin class. :flowerforyou:

Had a reality check with DS earlier. He wants DH and me to get his sailboat back to the boat yard tomorrow so that shoddy work can be redone. DH said no. So then DS wanted me to do it by myself. I said DH is too sick to do the work and I’m not strong enough to do it on my own. You help, or the task has to wait. He’ll be here by breakfast time tomorrow. :grumble: :laugh:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Katla: one word: CHAFING. You do NOT want a paper sanitary pad chafing your lady bits while posting. (And the person who suggested this to me meant just using it as padding, not specifically at "that time of the month".)

Cynthia
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    The saga of the trees is that I bought 78 acres off my Dad in Rural Alberta and I'm planting trees for windbreaks, colour, interest, as well as what I affectionately call my orchard (in northern alberta...I don't think so, but at least I should get some fruit). It takes a lot of trees to make an effective windbreak, but I want to prevent as much snow drift as possible during the winter. I still have a few years til retirement (hopefully) but that's where I'll retire to.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    CynthiaT60 wrote: »
    Katla: one word: CHAFING. You do NOT want a paper sanitary pad chafing your lady bits while posting. (And the person who suggested this to me meant just using it as padding, not specifically at "that time of the month".)

Cynthia

Chafing is the absolutely right word to describe the problem. I appreciate your help and supportive advice.

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Bkrimpet- on Dr Oz they said to eat banana, nuts or seeds prior to things that contain cholesterol and it prohibits your liver from absorbing the cholesterol and it is removed from your body. It is supposed to be 100% effective. Try not to eat roasted or salted nuts or seeds. He also had a recipe for peanut butter banana flaxseed balls. There was also another thing to eat I will re watch and let you know.
    bkrimpet wrote: »
    Hi, Ladies -- Just wanted to let you know about my doctor visit with the cholesterol situation. According to his scale, I have lost 13 pounds since December -- more than since February when I started MFP. So he was able to tell me that I really am doing everything I can do help my cholesterol down, and if I cannot do it it probably just is one of those genetic things I will have to control with meds!

Genetics don't matter according to him.

Mary from Minnesota

Sorry if I am double quoting--but you are on the same wavelength as my nutritionist! She says to add tree fruits and up my fiber and add another exercise session. So I will be my own science experiment! Also what do you gals recommend for high fiber cereals? Supplements?
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Can't quite remember if any of you are from Maryland? My husband is interviewing for a job at Salisbury University on the Maryland Eastern Shore next week. Any info on the area from my pals here would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, haven't I mentioned the stress I have been under the last 4 months regarding the announcement from my husband that he thinks his job will be eliminated in the near future and that he had better start looking for a new one?! I am operating under the assumption that if I don't put it out there then I will not be under any stress. It has NOT driven me back to my overeating/binging ways of my pre-MFP life. But we are entering a much more stressful period of this process.....sigh.

Cheri currently of Fairlawn, Ohio
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Sylvia I used to be a swim instructor. When children are first learning to swim I was right there in the water with them. As they started learning their strokes I would spend more time out of the water because it was better to evaluate their technique, but if needed I would get in the water with them. Depending on the stroke some on the land practice is beneficial if working on form. At the end I would always try to come up with a game to play because to me swimming needs to be fun.
    Most of all try to find an instructor your girls like and understand her/his instruction. It is great they are learning this skill.

Last year I did post some info about drowning. Here in Minnesota we have too many preventable drownings. Learning how to swim is a valuable skill that may save your life. One of local T.V. showed that drowning are not always the typical thrashing about it the water. Sometimes what happens is head gets tipped back and their lungs fill with water so they cannot call out. Even it there are life guards on duty it is important to watch your own children or grandchildren. Every minute a child is under water in a drowning situation can be the difference between complete recovery and not so good an outcome.

:heart: MNMargaret

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,147 Member
    Options
    Bkrimpet- The key to what Dr. Oz was saying is that you have to eat the banana or nuts prior to eating things with cholesterol in it it acts as a barrier in the cholesterol is not absorbed into your bloodstream.

Cheri - i'm sorry to hear about your DH and his job situation. That can be very stressful.

Sylvia- thanks for the laugh!

Katla- I think eventually you will get used to posting just like anything else. I think the bike shorts would help more than the pad.

We are still moving things over to the cabin and garage. By Saturday evening we hope to be done. Still no news on the appraisal.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Yep, got it, Mary in MN! I will try this.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :) The best plan is the one you'll stick with. I heard that when I first started on MFP and it helped me a lot. It was also suggested that I be open minded to new ideas, so I love reading what you all have to say and trying some new things....some work and I keep doing them and some don't so I stop. If I tried to get along on the number of basic calories that MFP suggests, I would keel over. I walk for three or more hours a day, go to three 2 hour line dance classes a week, and ride my exercise bike for an hour or more most days....I need the extra calories for fuel when I am that active.

:) Mary from MN....I feel for you in your moving challenges. What worked for me is just what you're doing----stay busy, and stay in the moment.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

• cpverduce
    cpverduce Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Cindy and looking forward to getting to know you all. I'm new, 53 y.o. and need to loose 40 lbs. Lost 10 already, but ready for some motivation and sisterly advice - especially for those of us over 50!
  • cpverduce
    cpverduce Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    BTW, I'm a GRITSandSLUTS stuck in Indiana!
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Carey, my son and I planted a maple tree about 18 years ago in the back yard. It was so difficult and I do admire you. That tree and another we planted are about 3 stories high.

Carol/Peach