WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! We cleaned the cabin and found wood floors under the carpet. Part of the floor has been painted. My DH said he can sand them, stain and polyurethane them and they should be beautiful. We made only two trips spent most of the time cleaning.

Pip - nice house!

Barbie - your supper looked delicious!

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    I have so enjoyed everyone's beautiful family, yummy food, terrific homes and sweet puppy pics today. What fun it has been seeing them and reading about each one. Wow we are a blessed group of ladies.

Everyone thanks so much for the sweet comments on our granddaughter. We have grandkids ranging from 21 yrs to 14 mos. We so enjoy them all.

DJ - Yes Poppy loved it. Here it was Father's Day and he made French toast for all of them. What fun :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    All the charts and family, baby, dog, scenery, and house pictures are lovely <3

Rosie in So Cal
  • SlenderClassyElegant
    SlenderClassyElegant Posts: 62 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    Down 2 lbs this week. Doing a happy dance.

Yay Mia! WTG yes-fist-pump-smiley-emoticon.gif

~Jen in California
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Caught up; love all the pictures........lovely children, attractive homes, precious pets, gorgeous families, and delicious looking veggies!

DJ........Forgot to add the cals on that hot chocolate are about 85.

Bought some beets today; going to try the microwave method.......if you all hear me screaming, you know they exploded.

Sounds like everyone had a pretty good day.

G'nite all, sleep well those going to bed and good morning to the rest!

A new week ahead,
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic..........where the temp is STILL 88
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,401 Member
    Options
    a little delayed from the originals but......
    Lenora - best wishes for speedy healing for your nephew to full recovery.
    find that wearing a sports bra (cotton one) is much more comfortable for the girls.
    sassy - big wow, want to visit austria, fantastic to have smack dab in town.
    mom216 - what is your momma secret for her current state, please ask her.
    mia - thanks for explanation of ghrelin, now how to curb or turn it off. my chocolate keeps leaving the building too/with me.
    gilly - congrats on the new baby, they smell so good.
    penny - that view! how gorgeous

working this week at a camp and planning to take up food with me as not anticipating choices will be low cal/healthy. need to keep w/the smoothies.

linda in calif
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    How I am so tired, can't keep my eyes open.

Goodnight everyone, have a great week,

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    5 pages since last night! But i have read all of them. I won't comment on all of them but know that this group is so special to me and I am sure that people get so tired of me talking about my ladies over 50 group on MFP.

janetr, I'm glad your guys were almost done with her. She sounds like quite a lady! LOL! Why do people think they can act like that???

Mary, I got an email form the survey today saying thanks for doing it and I will be added to their mailing list for newsletters and I can unsubscribe if I want. And I will. They also said they do not sell emails to anyone.

Becca, what a precious letter and gift you got from your dad in that short letter. Glad you are at peace now.

Penny, you are very poetic in your description about the different kinds of trees. To me a tree has lots of leaves that fall and you have to rake them up in the fall and in the spring you have the little windmill seeds. They also have large branches that you worry whether they will fall on your house. But they do make nice landscaping.

terri, Milwaukee, when I eat out, I will sometimes really bug a waitress, she usually sends a manager, all sorts of questions about what brand of bread, how many ounces is in the dish, etc. Are you in a hotel that has a fridge that you can keep water in? $4/bottle!!!!

Janetr, what a precious little one. I just want to reach in my computer and give her a hug and smell that wonderful baby smell.

As far as houses in my city, the house that you see from the TV show RoseAnne is here in Evansville. They didn't film from inside the house, just used the front of the house as a back drop. Our big movie was League of their own, the movie about the women's softball team. It was mostly filmed here in town. We have a very old nostalgic baseball field, 100 years old now, that they filmed it in. I can tell you some real bad stories about how some of the actors like RoseAnne Barr and Madonna acted. This baseball stadium is the 3rd oldest in the US. We still use it.

My blood pressure is always up at the doctor's office. They take it the minute you walk in the room, it's right after they weigh me and I lean down with my fat body to take my shoes off, weigh and then sit down. I think the guidelines in supposed to be you sitting at least 5 minutes before taking it. They adhere to that very strictly at our cardiologist office.

Salt. I don't like the taste of it, I have gotten so used to not having it plus I wasn't raised using it. But I have a mild problem that I pass out if I am not getting enough salt. So her guidelines for me is 2000 to 2500 mg of sodium a day.

On the subject of how to determine how high your heart rate needs to go up during cardio activity. If you are taking a beta blocker for blood pressure, heart, migraine, panic, etc, you can't use any formula but an exertion scale. And please don't ask what that it. I know it is hanging on the wall at my Y! A eta blocker slows down your heart rate and believe me, your heart rate is never going to go up high. I have gotten mine up in the 90's and that is really pushing it. My normal heart rate is in the 40's now.

Had a good service today at church. Again the choir sang one of our easy peasy songs which I don't like but that's what she has us do because there are to many people doing things for the summer and gone. I think we have 15 in the choir and I can think of 5 that were gone, one was sick. We had dinner at my sister's house for the Dads. It was nice. They had bought 2 ten piece buckets of fried chicken and two huge tubs of baked beans and potato salad. and I mean huge. Then she had cheddar biscuits and she made a 7 layer salad which would have been good for me but she topped it with a huge amount of Miracle whip and cheddar cheese. She made this yesterday and put it in the freezer and took it out as we were getting there. And was surprised it was frozen!!! She also made a no bake cheesecake. Her husband is on MFP and figured out the calories per serving to be 265 but I didn't eat her graham cracker crust which has butter in it so I put in a quick calorie of 250. I took my own meal over and had a a piece of cheesecake. There was so much food left over and they weren't offering any to take home for us to take home. He paid $70 for the food, 8 of us there and I didn't eat any of the food he bought. He was going to evenly divide it, with me included in that. I'm glad he just asked us all to pay $5 including me. We didn't argue, he could have asked a lot more.

We have been watching the US Open golf tournament in Washington state. It sure is beautiful. Wonderful weather every day, That water is so blue to match the sky. Mount Ranier was gorgeous. Plus my favorite golfer won!! So it was all a good day.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Joyce - I see what you're saying about raking leaves and watching out for falling branches. Still, I think if we stuck you in a place where the tallest tree was an inch high, you might eventually start feeling poetic about your Indiana trees, too. :)

I'll be picking up my son and the grandkids at the airport in a couple hours. The kids are 3 and 4½ and full of energy. If you don't see me on the thread for a while, you know why!
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Joyce - I was in the delivery room for both of my daughter's kids. I didn' t know something could be so scary and so joyous at the same time.

Becca by the beach - That letter from your Dad is an amazing gift. I, too, am glad that your sister found it.

Sylvia - What kind of dog trainer kicks a dog. I can't believe they let her keep teaching. I'm sure it affected poor Molly.

Janet - Your granddaughter is quite the little cutie patootie.

Mia in MI - I love my "movie" popcorn.

I couldn't catch up so just started on the 20th.
    Really hoping there are some answers tomorrow. I am so tired of these chest pains , choking , vomiting and intense Charlie horses. Have had heating pads on calves , ankles and feet. Toes turning under is such a weird sensation.
    Left for camping after work on Friday. These rush jobs really don't work for me. Hurry up and have fun. I love going to Beauvais but we went with different people and wasn't our usual time there. We did have some good moments.

Ds has the court date on Tues. Afternoon . Hopefully there is some sort of resolution that will be the best for Harmony. I hope that he will soon be able to buy his own home. I can 't believe all the crap She is still putting out about all of us.

DD has been really busy between face painting and her window painting. She has really been getting out and promoting herself. So proud of her
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    DSIL is swimming at the moment, but will be back soon and we will be setting off for the station. Quite excited to be seeing my old schoolfriend I haven't seen for six years. She hasn't seen the new me! ! ! ! ! :drinker:
    At school she used to be an amazing ballerina and she kept it up in some form or another all through her life. St 66 she is still dancing with over 60s dance groups. Her daughter had encephalitis at the age of 19 and my friend was told she would be a vegetable. Her daughter re learned EVERYTHING from scratch and today, 20 years later, she is a medical doctor with a young child. :D

We are having lunch at Tate Britain, an art gallery in London, in the Rex Whistler room. Joyce, you can google it. The most amazing mural runs all the way round the room. I love the place, but the food is not up to the mural ! ! ! ! They always have fish there though, which I like.
    Joyce, did you google Stowe yesterday? Oh my word, talk about extravagance! The parkland with all the follies is extraordinary! It's in Buckinghamshire. We didn't go in the house as I wanted to walk off my hangover! Kept to my calories yesterday, despite my generous hostess pressing every treat in the book on me. Proud of myself. :bigsmile:

I am going to leave my bag in my departure station, Waterloo, so I can pick it up this evening. I have left enough time for that. That leaves us free to do what we want. Hate the cost of left luggage, but on this occasion I will bite the bullet.

Thanks for all the lovely pics. The cuddly baby was adorable, janetr. Can't wait to see mine on Wednesday.

Love to all. Hope it doesn't rain today. Heather, soon to be on her way to London. UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    went to bed early, wasn't feeling to well, much better this morning..
    Have to go for fasting bloodwork this morning at 7, so I am going to hop in the shower in a bit..
    spent time with both my DFIL and my dad yesterday.. we are so blessed..
    gave dad picture of him and my grandaughter, his great grand, and then 2 pictures of Taliah, and a picture of him, Tracy and Tal,
    I took a picture of his dog earlier in the week and framed that too. poor baby he is just hanging on, Tom and I were scratching him behind his ears, I am just waiting to hear that he has passed....still drinking water but wont eat...
    going to work at 12:30 today.. so not a long day...contractor back today, they have to get the lower cabinets in by tomorrow as they have to come measure for the countertops
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bad day yesterday, some chinese food snuck into my mouth and I chew it down. Im going to relax over it and not worry about it. Cutting some calories back for a few days should sort what I ate and not counting the calories from exercise as additional food. I do wish there was a button that didnt include the exercise calories in to normal days its so easy to go over the normal amount.
    @yanniejannie remember to prick your beets like you would baked potatoes. Then the steam can escape and they wont explode.
    Welcome to all the new ladies.
    Making 3 bean chilli for my dinner to increase my protein. Looked at making those protein balls/bars but I know Id end up eating a whole batch in one go so not going to make them.
    Off for my 4 mile bike ride.
    Kate
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    KateKyi wrote: »
    I do wish there was a button that didnt include the exercise calories in to normal days its so easy to go over the normal amount.
    Kate

That is the ONE feature of the premium MFP that I really enjoy having. So much easier than having to subtract out those calories and not go into exercise calories if you don't eat them back.

Cheri
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    KateKyi wrote: »
    b]@ Cheri[/b]@Kate

That is the ONE feature of the premium MFP that I really enjoy having. So much easier than having to subtract out those calories and not go into exercise calories if you don't eat them back.

Cheri

@KateKyi
    If you do not add your exercise until after you have added your calories eaten in the first place at the first green button you come to; and water and saved that; it won't enter your exercise as calories eaten back. Save your caloric intake at the first green button; and then enter your water intake at the next block. It will say "Edit" and after you have entered them - enter "Saved"

@Cheri What are the advantages of the Premium MFP and how much does it costs per month?

Lenora (GRITSandSLUTS)
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Good Monday Morning!

Enjoyed all the pics of houses, babies, food, and flora/fauna!

DIL cooked BBQ's pork chops on the grill last night and they were delicious. Did not overdo it on the food but did have a tiny bit of everything.

Are any of you like me? I had the sweet angle food cupcakes yesterday and immediately felt like I had swallowed a watermelon. Just can't seem to eat sweets. I notice that when I do indulge I feel very "off".....a feeling I can't really describe.

Carol ~ Peach
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Good Monday Morning!

Enjoyed all the pics of houses, babies, food, and flora/fauna!

DIL cooked BBQ's pork chops on the grill last night and they were delicious. Did not overdo it on the food but did have a tiny bit of everything.

Are any of you like me? I had the sweet angle food cupcakes yesterday and immediately felt like I had swallowed a watermelon. Just can't seem to eat sweets. I notice that when I do indulge I feel very "off".....a feeling I can't really describe.

Carol ~ Peach

We had a fish fry on Saturday night and some of the food I did not have much of; then, on Sunday we went to DnL's Mother's house who had cooked everything under the sun; I sampled everything with a tablespoon; although I did not measure it - I only added what I ate; then added a few calories and still did not go over my caloric intake for the day. I only 1/2 of my protein bar as a snack. I don't have a sweet tooth, so I only ate about 1/2 of a bite of the pecan pie and pound cake. For once I did not feel 'stuffed' like I normally do.

I normally don't have a 'sweet' tooth so just a small bit of DH's.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Pip: I love your house! It is charming. Thanks for sharing the picture. :bigsmile:

Mary: It sounds like you’re having a good experience with the cabin floors. Sanding and refinishing is a lot of work but it can really make things wonderful. We have hardwood floors. We’ll switch to ceramic tile if we ever redo the downstairs. The wood finishes haven’t held up well. The man who refinished them did a poor quality job and then he died. No way to get them fixed until we have the whole job done over again. The primary reason we’d choose ceramic tile next time is that it is easier for dogs. Wood floors are very slick and when a dog becomes an old dog, it starts to make life difficult for them. Our dog is still doing okay & turns 8 this summer. Our previous dog started having trouble after an injury when she was about 11.

I'm pretty sure I whined about saddle sores following my last riding lesson. They aren't going away very fast. DH found an article written for bicyclists about treating saddle sores. We had one of the suggested remedies on hand and I’ve smeared it on. It does reduce the discomfort a bit. I hope it aids healing. (The item we had was Preparation H.) Advice from experienced horsewomen and cyclists is welcome. We will be traveling about 400 miles to DH's 50th HS reunion later this week, and it would be nice to be more comfortable sitting than I am at this moment. :noway:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I seem to be finding a real correlation between sleep and eating. Yes, I know that's not a new concept, but the past week has really proven it to me. I had been sleeping 2-3 hours per night all week but got in 6-8 over the weekend. Made a lot of difference in my desire for junk food.

I had a quiet weekend. My shoulder is quite painful since I can't take any more anti-inflammatory drugs until after the surgery. That made me less productive than I would have liked to have been (and needed to be). Yesterday, my daughter came over and we moved some furniture around so as to be able to fit in a borrowed recliner for me to sleep in for however long I need it. Now I just need to find someone to bring it to me! The guy I was going to ask has kidney stones so I will have to find someone else.

I remembered to call my father yesterday. I had mailed a card but I'm sure it won't get there before today. Although I love my father, he was not the best dad in the world. I have a few physical scars and a lot of emotional ones from his temper.

Vent: During Sunday school yesterday, we were discussing the minor prophet, Amos, and read a portion of scripture about excessive wealth. The leader then read a quote from Pope Francis' encyclical about how people were so distracted that they didn't do what they should about the environment, etc. and then asked the class for examples of distraction. After my all well-to-do middle class classmates had described their distractions of media, technology, etc. I raised my little (not really) hand and reminded them that many people, world-wide, are distracted by life's essentials of putting food on the table and keeping a roof over their heads. Working multiple jobs, stretching every penny, and doing everything yourself instead of hiring it done or buying convenience items doesn't leave a lot of time for contemplating global warming and the rest of nature. Again, I got the look of disbelief that I had sullied their world with talk of real poverty. Disclaimer: I am definitely concerned about the environment. I love these folks but I get really tired of their insular thoughts and opinions. Done!

Barbie - Your day yesterday reminded me of our church service yesterday where we discussed "breaking bread" and when was the last time we had a meal with someone different. You broke bread (metaphorically) in a different environment with different people. And, had fun doing it!

I'm off to get some work done and take a little walk around the church to stretch my legs. I hope everyone has a wonderful day full of good choices!

Carol in NC where is is 87 degrees at 10 a.m.