WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I’m having a very private Thanksgiving Celebration at this moment, because of the wonderful women in this group. I have never had a more supportive friendship group. I complained about saddle sores and got lots of good advice. Yanniejannie’s daughter recommended Anti Monkey Butt Powder or Cream. I got the next to the last tube of Anti Monkey Butt Cream in the baby section at Walgreens 10 minutes ago and I feel MUCH better now. Thanks so much—from the bottom of my :heart: (and bottom).

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    pippinc wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am new to the group. My name is Cheryl. I live in Oregon. I have over 70 pounds to lose. Just returned from a nice vacation where I can back 7 pounds heavier. Could use some encouragement and accountability.

OOOOh another Oregonian! I am on the coast near Astoria, where are you located? This is the place to be to lose weight. Any stresses, or worries, just pile on the corner there....*points to the white part in the screen*....Oh, and welcome! I have to lose a whole evil 6 yr old. They are about 70 lbs right? I fed my sons, so I can't remember! They do that, oh and I shoo'ed them into the Navy. Let the Navy feed them!
  • Annr
    Options
    shoot...I forgot to sign my name!
    Becca by the Beach that is forgetful!
  • Annr
    Options
    Sylvia I used to be a swim instructor. When children are first learning to swim I was right there in the water with them. As they started learning their strokes I would spend more time out of the water because it was better to evaluate their technique, but if needed I would get in the water with them. Depending on the stroke some on the land practice is beneficial if working on form. At the end I would always try to come up with a game to play because to me swimming needs to be fun.
    Most of all try to find an instructor your girls like and understand her/his instruction. It is great they are learning this skill.

Last year I did post some info about drowning. Here in Minnesota we have too many preventable drownings. Learning how to swim is a valuable skill that may save your life. One of local T.V. showed that drowning are not always the typical thrashing about it the water. Sometimes what happens is head gets tipped back and their lungs fill with water so they cannot call out. Even it there are life guards on duty it is important to watch your own children or grandchildren. Every minute a child is under water in a drowning situation can be the difference between complete recovery and not so good an outcome.

:heart: MNMargaret

We had that on the news too. The movies have always portrayed a drowning as thrashing, so I was educated by that. I taught all three of my sons, and they didn't even realize it. We were fortunate to live in an apartment complex that had a pool, and I remember using hotwheel cars as modivation. "Ok the wheel fixing area is on the third rung here, hold your breath and get that tire fixed." I also played the part of "momma whale".. (one of the good things of being a big mommy). So I would have them on my back and tell them to be a submarine...and close all the hatches. I would tell them if they need to resurface, just let go and float up, and they would. Sad to state and notice throughout the years is that most scared kids not wishing to swim have parents that aren't willing to get into the water. It was embarrassing to see the kids begging for them to go in. Im my head I would be screaming PUT DOWN the cell phone and pay attention!
  • Annr
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I’m having a very private Thanksgiving Celebration at this moment, because of the wonderful women in this group. I have never had a more supportive friendship group. I complained about saddle sores and got lots of good advice. Yanniejannie’s daughter recommended Anti Monkey Butt Powder or Cream. I got the next to the last tube of Anti Monkey Butt Cream in the baby section at Walgreens 10 minutes ago and I feel MUCH better now. Thanks so much—from the bottom of my :heart: (and bottom).

Ohhh anything skin related the best thing is "Bag Balm" in the green tin with cows and flowers! Its funky, and for udders, but it works on our butts tooooo. :smiley:
  • NLennon1
    NLennon1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, my name is Nora, I'm 52 years young and also need to loose 70lbs.... I blame the slow weight loss on menopause!!! I can do that can't I... :), try protein shakes w/PB2.... that seems to fill me up at least till 11am or so. Any suggestions on quick lunch ideas for work, I hate leaving the office just for fast food.... Plus it's too dang hot in Texas to just go anywhere in the middle of the day. Stay strong and carry on....
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Tuesday here and shopping day, list almost written and pensions in bank. NEED to keep eating healthy.
    I stayed warm in bed this morning, NO training only walking today so keep food cals LOW. 10 hours wonderful warm sleep.
    Sunday night I was RESTLESS and 3 hours sleep but trained really well but ate well too.
    Need to do something for husband's 71 birthday this month, no idea what, picnic with doggy I guess. He is STILL the same size and weigh he was at 17 but he is muscled and cuts down trees for our winter fires, is COLD here now
    I cook Chinese Food and Italian Food. Italian from Jamie Oliver and enjoy it
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    NLennon1 wrote: »
    Hi folks, my name is Nora, I'm 52 years young and also need to loose 70lbs.... I blame the slow weight loss on menopause!!! I can do that can't I... :), try protein shakes w/PB2.... that seems to fill me up at least till 11am or so. Any suggestions on quick lunch ideas for work, I hate leaving the office just for fast food.... Plus it's too dang hot in Texas to just go anywhere in the middle of the day. Stay strong and carry on....

I drink 2 protein shakes and eat 1 protein bar and then have to keep my other meal below 550 calories.

Suggestions made to me are: 4-5 oz grilled chicken, 1 cup grille vegetables, salad (only vegetables), 1 medium baked potato, 45 calories added fat (for salad or cooking). and one piece of fruit (75 calories). You'd have to cut a banana in 1/2 to get this as low as 75 calories.

4-5 oz. hamburger (90% lean beef; large salad, 1 whole wheat roll 45 calories (for salad or cooking); 1 piece of fruit.

5 egg whites or eggbeaters (I've never tried this; I' rather have 1 whole egg); 1 cup vegetables (can sauté and put in omelet; 2 slices diet bread; 100 calorie yogurt; 1 piece of fruit (75 calories). 45 calories of fat (for salad or cooking).

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich - 1 Tbsp peanut butter 2 slices of diet bread, 100 calorie yogurt, carrot sticks or grape tomato, 1 piece of fruit.

4-oz tuna or other grilled fish, 1 cup of cooked vegetable, salad, 45 calories of fat (for salad or cooking). 2/3 cups of brown rice, 1 piece of fruit (75 calories). Salad dressing usually is 45 calories for 2 Tbsp.

4-5 oz cooked shrimp, 1 cup pasta (whole wheat best), 1 cup steamed vegetables (like broccoli), 1/2 tomato sauce, 45 calories of fat (for salad or cooking), 1 piece of fruit (75 calories). I usually will use 'venison' for making spaghetti and Ragu spaghetti sauce - and portion out 1 cup of mixed sauce and noodles. Portion control on eating anything is very important and key to success.

2 eggs, 1 slice Low Fat American Cheese (I grate my cheese - into 28 oz. which is 1 ounce). Seems to make it go further. 100 calorie yogurt, 1 cup vegetable(s). 1 slice light bread, 45 calories (for salad or cooking).

3-4 oz lean steak, 1 medium baked potato, 1 cup string beans, 45 calories fat (salad or cooking), salad, 1 piece fruit (75 calories). When I go out to eat somewhere I usually cut my order in 1/2 and take home the other half for the next day or day after that. I eat slowly and lay my utensils down while I am doing so.

Med. Baked potato, 3 oz low fat cheese melted, large salad, 45 calories of fat (for salad or cooking), 1 piece of fruit.

1 slice of pizza (this is one of my downfalls; but 1/2 of an individual pizza is about what I usually eat (and it is over the 550 calories for the meal. Large salad, 45 calories fat (for salad or cooking). 1 piece of Fruit (75 calories). Occasionally a friend and I will go to a local Italian restaurant and split the individual pizza and each of us get a salad on the side - I get my salad dressing on the side instead of pouring it on the salad. Usually comes in a small container and by dipping it I use less of it.

Restaurant grilled chicken salad on whole wheat roll wit no sauce, 45 calories fat (for salad dressing or cooking). Large salad, 1 piece of fruit (75 calories.

4-5 oz. broiled flounder, 2/3rd cup of brown rice, 1 cup carrots, Salad, 45 calories of fat (for salad or cooking), 1 piece of fruit.

4-5 salmon with herb rub (or 1 salmon croquette), 1 cup of mixed vegetables (broccoli, mushrooms, etc.) 1 cup whole wheat pasta, 45 calories fat (for a stir fry with pasta and vegetables), 1 piece of fruit.

Homemade Chinese food, 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce, Sesame seeds, 1tsp. sesame oil, mixed frozen vegetable, 1 chicken breast cut up. 2/3rd cup for brown rice, 1 piece of fruit (75 calories)

*** all salads may include lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, celery, onions and peppers ***

Measurement of meats is before cooking, too.

I've tried some of these and they are really 'filling'.

Hope this helps you.

Lenora
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Greetings earthlings and fellow MFP-ers! It started out horribly hot and humid this morning, but then a breeze came up and blew the humidity away and now it’s actually nice! Just had an office day today and two on-line meetings for my on line course that started today. I’m anxious to see how the students do; it’s a new course for me to teach…history of nursing.

Poor hubby. He has these really nice, expensive Echo sandals with a rectangular piece right on top of the front of his ankle. Last year some of you might remember he had the chigger infestation from hell…lasted nearly 6 months and rounds of steroids. Well during that time, he got a really bad weepy rash thing right under this piece of material. So we left the shoes out in the sun after rinsing them off and put them away. Well he wore them Saturday and OMG you should see the front of his ankle area. HUGE blisters, weepy skin, very red, peeling, etc. so those shoes went in the trash despite their cost! He got into the dr. and got both oral and topical steroids and an antihistamine. It was funny because he saw the same PA he saw several times with the chiggers. Apparently she looked at him and said what the hell is with you and these skin issues! She actually remembered because their computer system was down and she didn’t have his chart.

Sylvia: hilarious! Can’t wait to hear about the court decision. What an awful swimming teacher!

GRIT: a good day reading is marvelous! I don’t know where the training story got started from, but for a long time I thought it was a person in a fitness class who got kicked and thought…oh my now that’s motivation! Are you the one in Austria? Sprechen sie Deutsch?

Pip: congrats on your losses! OUCH on the nail. I hate that and mine don’t break often but when they do, it’s about halfway down the nailbed. Who are the handsome faces at your door?

Barbie: good job at the restaurant!

Renny: you have been on a long journey! Happy summer solstice to you too my friend!

Cheryl: welcome!

Miriam: what a wonderful and charming house!

Katla: feel better soon! DEFINITELY do not wear a sanitary pad when biking! I had a friend do that and OMG her lady bits were literally chafed down by layers, swollen and bleeding to the point she had to take a week off from work because she couldn’t walk!

Michele: I don’t subscribe but I do love to read Cat Fancy at the vets! Makes me want more cats!

Cheri: great photos!

janetR: beautiful baby!

Miriamwithcats: I’m a crazy-about-cats person too

Charm: glad the horse is being cooperative!

Lori: beautiful lighthouse!

Mia: I’m doing a happy dance with you!

MaryMN: I love wooden floors. What a find!

Joyce: you are right about waiting 5 minutes before taking the BP. I always refuse to let them take it before then. I ask sweetly “Don’t you follow the national guidelines? You need to wait 5 minutes” then I put my arm down by my side. Never had an argument LOL

Dreamwriter: I hope you get some answers soon!

Heather; enjoy your trip!

Grandmallie: is that remodel ever going to be done? LOL

Carol: I’m not much of a sweets person, but I do find I feel “off” after having them too

Carol: I join you in your rant. Some people are so oblivious

Carey: a pox on water leaks! We had two floods in the basement due to pipes breaking IN side our house! Thank goodness insurance covered it both times!

Teri: I m with you on taking care of and pampering ourselves! I’m glad fathers day went well. I can see you lurking around trying to find a place to hide a t bone!

Bkrimpet: about 80% of your cholersterol is genetic; only about 20% is what you eat. Sad but true. Your body will make cholesterol even if you could cut it all out.

Terri: glad you survived the storm but hope the power is on again soon

Cheri: good for you to not stress eat! Stay strong

Cindy: welcome!

Nora: welcome to you too

OK I need to work on the menus then get up for the next 10 minute walk! Take care all Meg from Omaha where the college world series continues!

Uh oh do we have two Carols now?
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,622 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 10.57min, 16amph, 2.9mi = 103c
    spin- 40min, 83ar, 89aw, 10-13g, 16.3mi = 310c
    ride gym 2 dome- 5.43min, 14.3amph, 1.3mi = 66c
    ride dome 2 tan- 17.29min, 10.1amph, 2.9mi = 183c
    ride tan 2 hm- 5.40min, 11.1amph, 1mi = 67c
    total cal 729
  • pipcd34
    Options
    megblair - on the left thats bullwinkle, middle is youngster who is yogi, then floyd :0)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Sylvia I used to be a swim instructor. When children are first learning to swim I was right there in the water with them. As they started learning their strokes I would spend more time out of the water because it was better to evaluate their technique, but if needed I would get in the water with them. Depending on the stroke some on the land practice is beneficial if working on form. At the end I would always try to come up with a game to play because to me swimming needs to be fun.
    Most of all try to find an instructor your girls like and understand her/his instruction. It is great they are learning this skill.

Last year I did post some info about drowning. Here in Minnesota we have too many preventable drownings. Learning how to swim is a valuable skill that may save your life. One of local T.V. showed that drowning are not always the typical thrashing about it the water. Sometimes what happens is head gets tipped back and their lungs fill with water so they cannot call out. Even it there are life guards on duty it is important to watch your own children or grandchildren. Every minute a child is under water in a drowning situation can be the difference between complete recovery and not so good an outcome.

:heart: MNMargaret

We had that on the news too. The movies have always portrayed a drowning as thrashing, so I was educated by that. I taught all three of my sons, and they didn't even realize it. We were fortunate to live in an apartment complex that had a pool, and I remember using hotwheel cars as modivation. "Ok the wheel fixing area is on the third rung here, hold your breath and get that tire fixed." I also played the part of "momma whale".. (one of the good things of being a big mommy). So I would have them on my back and tell them to be a submarine...and close all the hatches. I would tell them if they need to resurface, just let go and float up, and they would. Sad to state and notice throughout the years is that most scared kids not wishing to swim have parents that aren't willing to get into the water. It was embarrassing to see the kids begging for them to go in. Im my head I would be screaming PUT DOWN the cell phone and pay attention!

You also have to watch out for things such as floaters, boat jackets, and now something that 'some' people think are cute (mermaid bottoms); but have been related to drowning (because they float and the baby's head goes under water) because they flip over. We had a life jacket that had a pillow behind the head of the child; but, I found that quite often it was easy to turn over and the child's face would be under the water. We bought a new kind; maybe mine was just a 'fluke' or something; but, it is also important that they have straps that go between the legs so they won't slip down.

I, too, taught swimming at a city pool. One child, in particular was always such a problem, mainly because his mother insisted on staying and if I tried to get him to let go of the side of the pool, he'd scream bloody murder and his mother would come over and get him out. I finally told her that 'if' she wanted him to learn how to swim, she'd have to stop coming. If that child did not learn to swim, one thing he was going to do is 'learn how to tread water and float on his bad'. I'd probably be very upset if someone had done this to my child; but, I walked him around the pool and he walked closest to the pool. We talked about what it meant to know how to swim (fun); but, more important 'what to do' if he found that someone was horsing around and he got in the way or he got pushed in the pool. Explained to him the importance of not panicking. Then I took him by both arms and threw him into the middle of the pool (where I knew I could still stand up without it being over my head). I went in right behind him and swam up to him, told him to 'shut his mouth and stop screaming', and to move his arms and legs so that he could tread water; when he did this I told him to roll over on his back by trying to put his head on his back; he rolled over and floated. This was extreme and doesn't work on most children. From that day forward I had no problems with his listening to the instructions of the other kids. He learned how to swim and then I could not keep him out of the deep end. He still remembered it 40+ years later and wasn't traumatized by it.

Teaching children to go under without holding their noses - is also important if you expect them to ever learn how to swim. They can't swim if they are holding their noses. Most 'baby swimming' classes teach babies how to hold their breath, come up and float on their backs. Children that are able to get into a pool where the water comes up to their necks are in a pool deep enough to teach them how to swim. Most children learn how to swim by swimming like a frog (under water). Learning to do the American Crawl is something that comes easier to an older child (say about 7 or 8). Before that they really do not grasp the concept of doing it.

Sorry that your daughter was embarrassed by her teacher about crawling out of the pool. Actually, they should learn that they can do 'hand over hand' and get to the nearest ladder. That is the safest way to get out of the pool, instead of possibly being in a position to fall back and hit their head or chin on something (like the side of the pool).

All of my grandchildren know how to swim, they might not be the most proficient at their technique; but, they can get to the side or to a point they can stand up and the water not be over their heads. All children should be supervised. Even ones that know how to swim pretty good. Horse playing around the pool should NOT be tolerated (that and running). What they hate most is being 'called out of the pool' at the first sound of thunder; but, you can hear thunder and still be electrocuted by lightening. Even if the sun is still out. Lightening can strike 10 miles away. Get 'em out (or they don't get to swim for a certain number of days). That was the rule at the city park.
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Quick hello. I'm on the final of four back to back business trips. I won't be able to come back here to read the 1000+ posts I've missed until I get back home on Sunday. Know that I am thinking of you and carry you in my heart every day, every meal, every workout. Stay well, friends.

Rori
    from Westchester County NY
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    BTW I forget who said they refer to our group as "fat chat' lol I love it, doesn't bother me and its easy to roll off the tongue :)

doesn't bother me but i'm not fat, at least haven't been for a few years now :0/

Well I'm not in the "morbidly obese" category any longer, down to "over weight". I think the two ugliest words in the English language are morbidly obese. I'll take being called "fat" over that any day. :)

janetr
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Meg In Omaha - thanks for the sweet words about our little one.

I have family in Omaha.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    BTW I forget who said they refer to our group as "fat chat' lol I love it, doesn't bother me and its easy to roll off the tongue :)

doesn't bother me but i'm not fat, at least haven't been for a few years now :0/

Well I'm not in the "morbidly obese" category any longer, down to "over weight". I think the two ugliest words in the English language are morbidly obese. I'll take being called "fat" over that any day. :)

janetr

that has got to b so exciting for you!! i agree, those aren't very nice words
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    B)
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,
    Was trying to keep up but now on vacation in Collingwood, Ontario for the week and internet is not as reliable and now I am so far behind I will never catch up.
    Getting in lots of walking so hopefully it is offsetting the restaurant good. We are trying to eat as much in the condo as possible and packing our lunches.

Will try to read back and respond to the posts.

Tina from MD now in Ontario, Canada
  • janetr7476
    Options

janetr

that has got to b so exciting for you!! i agree, those aren't very nice words

Thanks Pip, it is exciting and feels so good. I have so much more energy and am in the best physical shape I have been in years and years. Jack calls me skinny minnie all the time. I always say " thanks, I'm not skinny but I love hearing that" lol He has been such a terrific supporter and cheer leader.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    :) I finally made the meatless stew that's one of my goals this month.....made entirely from ingredients in the freezer and spices from my cupboard....Jake loved it.

<3 Barbie

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:
    18,000 steps
    three hours of dog walking in beautiful spring weather
    3 minute plank