WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Jen, wishing you nothing but “zen” for your vacation. That’s how they all should be.

Janetr, congrats on getting your house cleaner back. What perfect timming!

Lillian, glad you had a better day. I hope you get rain and stay safe from the fires.

Katla
    , I hope all goes well at the reunion. Getting to use that gym is good so that you now really appreciate how nice yours is.

Joyce, when DH said he didn’t remember the way he had talked to you last night, was that the end of the discussion? dunno.gifGuess there wasn’t a lot more to say when he didn’t know what had happened. I’m glad your phone was still there. Be sure to let us know if you see a difference after going back on your meds.

Rosie, why is DD looking at Chicago for college? Do they have better schools for her major? Gosh that’s a long way off. Do you have other kids? When my DD (only child) went off to college I was shocked at just how much I missed her. She had always been s independent and gone places for weeks at a time, but I felt almost like there had been a death in the family. smiley-sick002.gif Of course, she was fine and having a ball.

Allison
    , I can’t wait to see the finished kitchen. I’m sure you will be happy when it’s done, as well.

Barbie, you have arms?? smiley-love008.gif Aren’t you inside with AC? I’d think you would heat up enough in all your line dancing, to be able to wear short sleeves.

Heather, what an interesting story about DH and his twin. I hope you all enjoy the visit together.

Peach, I hope you have better luck with giving the Pom his pills. At least yesterday I didn’t have a margarita.

Gawworthington, welcome to the forum. Wow, you have lost 25 since April? That is a lot in a short time. You will find that this is a very supportive group of ladies. Please sign each post with the name you want us to call you and also a location, be it general or specific. Come often and join right in. Feel free to share more about yourself to help us get to know you.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

A different take on a serenity prayer:

God Grant me a vacation to
    make bearable what I can’t change.
    A friend to make it funny and the wisdom
    to never get my knickers in a knot
    because it solves nothing and
    makes me walk funny.

I hope you all have a happy and healthy day.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

I Love you All, smiley-love018.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I think I'm still in the cycle... I was so snarky to the SO this morning that he's giving me the silent treatment. Maybe he's getting a little pay back. :( I am in my office and hope that I can stay in solitary for most of the day. have a great weekend all.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Alive and out of surgery.

Carol in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,714 Member
    Options
    hey there peep-e-ners -

I tell you, it was really nice riding to work this morning!. nothing like seeing someone on a bike off in a distance on a hill and seeing if you can catch up to him. and YES I did and I PASSED him!!! BOOO-YAHHHH!!!
    he passed me at some point, I stayed right behind him and when we got to another incline, I PASSED HIS *kitten* AGAIN! this time he stayed behind me :0) in his defense, he didn't have a road bike and the organ donor didn't have a helmet on, had he had a better bike and skinnier tires he probably would have been good competition for me. I ended up getting to work quicker because of him LOLOLOL.

fanncy - cool beans on your $500 buck score!!
    exermom - thanks for the tip but i wouldn't have fallen for that :0/
    yannie - you crack me up!
    janetr - yeay for getting your house cleaner back.!
    lilymay - take care with all those fires roin round!
    annr - lmao!! u funny too! boldy go where no chick has gone b4
    jmkmom- take care of yourself!
    when are you going to vegas italy!! we'll be at the signature!
    grandmallie - let me get you the protector for your ipad for your bday!!! you'll just have to tell me what color, size of ipad you have and your address tho
    sluts - you're such a good girl!! yeay for your self control!
    sluts - you shouldn't dick around w/your meds
    peachstategal- i do my pill giving w/pb
    welcome to the group gawworthing ! chime in whenever, we're here for ya!

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    MNMargaret - this is for gastric bypass surgery patients. The way the surgery works your body no longer absorbs much of the nutrients from your food intake. Also the new "pouch" (stomach) is very small and tolerates very little food at once. I'll take vitamin and mineral supplements for the rest of my life. As for fiber we are encouraged to eat low carb veges and limit fruit to once a day.

Good luck on your children's book.
  • janetr7476
    Options
    DJ - great to have my cleaning lady, and good friend, back. We talked for the first 45 min she was here. Mainly regarding nutrition and healthy eating. She actually needs to gain some weight after being ill.

Love the "different" serenity prayer.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    nccarolb wrote: »
    "Alive and out of surgery."

Glad it is done & over. Now be good to yourself & follow Dr's orders.Pat

Carol in NC

• janetr7476
    Options
    nccarolb wrote: »
    Alive and out of surgery.

Carol in NC

Good news.. at least it's over and the healing process can begin. Take care of yourself.

• ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Mary - I really feel for you with regard to the appraisal. We went through that ourselves recently and ran into a hitch with the appraisal that almost prevented us from closing on our new home. Hang in there and think of how much fun you'll have settling into a new place!

Meg - I got a laugh out of your not-so-romantic story about meeting your husband!

DJ - Loved your thought about tossing and turning at night! Now, where is the database entry for that?! (I spent part of yesterday pulling up carpet, and that's not in the database either!)

Heather - It's hard to understand how siblings could be separated like that, especially twins, but I'm happy to hear that your DH and his sister found one another.

Carol - Alive and out of surgery is good! Hope you have a quick recovery.

-Yvonne in TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,714 Member
    Options
    just looked at my app - so far 63.8miles for the week and I still have to ride home.
    just noticed it kept track of some past weeks - I gotta look at this thng a bit closer:

WOW, I HAD NO IDEA! you get a different perspective when you see it on print!

apr 6- 12th = 2hr 58min, 1847ft = 36.3mi
    apr 13-19th = 4hr 50min, 2838ft = 59mi
    apr 20-26th = 5hr 40min, 3232ft = 68.9mi
    apr 27-My 3 = 6hr 4min, 3104ft = 75.1mi

APR - 239.3 MILES

may 4-10th = 5hr 40min, 3202ft = 70mi
    may 11-17th = 1hr 57min, 1145ft = 23.4mi
    may 18-24th = 5hr 22min, 2835ft = 69.3mi
    may 25-31st = 5hr 45min, 2723ft = 68.4mi

MAY - 231.1 MILES

june 1-7th = 4hr 49min, 2943ft = 58.3mi
    june 8-14th = 6hr 47min, 3675ft = 83.8mi
    june 15-21st = 6hr 9min, 3232ft = 76.3mi
    so far this week 63.8mi

JUNE SO FAR 218.4 MILES

SO FAR 688.8 MILES !
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    ydailey wrote: »
    Mary - I really feel for you with regard to the appraisal. We went through that ourselves recently and ran into a hitch with the appraisal that almost prevented us from closing on our new home. Hang in there and think of how much fun you'll have settling into a new place!

Meg - I got a laugh out of your not-so-romantic story about meeting your husband!

DJ - Loved your thought about tossing and turning at night! Now, where is the database entry for that?! (I spent part of yesterday pulling up carpet, and that's not in the database either!)

Heather - It's hard to understand how siblings could be separated like that, especially twins, but I'm happy to hear that your DH and his sister found one another.

Carol - Alive and out of surgery is good! Hope you have a quick recovery.

-Yvonne in TX

Maybe use rowing as the exercise for pulling up the carpet; since you would be moving your arms up and back to do it.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,356 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Margaret - forgot to say I LOVE that painted desk! <3 and chair.

All chores done! Paid a first instalment to the conveyancer. Just relaxing now while the butternut squash is roasting. DH has to have something green with his meal so I've topped and tailed a few beans.

I'm not going to do my machines in the morning as I have to leave the house by 9.15 all showered, blow dried and face on. I will do my 20 mins strength and weight training and rely on lots of walking about in London to burn off the calories! ! ! :laugh: For those new to this thread, my DH bought 3 machines when we retired and moved out into the countryside. He had always gone to the gym all his life, but thought it would be easier and eventually cheaper to dedicate a spare bedroom to machines. We bought a house with that in mind. Every day, unless we are away, we work together on the machines, switching round as we go. We listen to some very interesting BBC Radio 4 programmes while we are doing it, so we get a very good education at the same time. Yesterday it was Astrobiology! ! ! ! I do 265 calories on the rower, which takes me around 30 mins, then 135 cals on the elliptical at 15 resistance, which takes me around 20 mins, then 136 cals on the bike, for around 30 mins at 15 resistance. I then do strength and weight training for 20 mins which is 64 cals, making 600 in all. The joy is I can just enter "copy yesterday" on the mfp calculator. The rower overestimates calories I'm sure, as that was a cheaper machine, but the two others are top of the range and seem to be accurate enough. It has worked for me anyway.
    I am 65, and built up very gradually to that level of fitness. For a long time I thought I would bust if I went over 200 cals! The strength, flexibility and stamina I have developed never fails to surprise me. Three years ago I was a wreck and could barely walk 50 yards on the flat without getting out of breath. I had really terrible knees.
    I still don't enjoy exercise, but I LOVE the results and I LOOOOVE to eat, so I'm stuck with it for the rest of my life. The joy of the machines is that they are always close by and available in any weather. Nor do they hurt my knees. :love:

Nearly time for my nightly Pernod! ! ! :laugh:

Heather in the UK
    27681614.png
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,
    I hope you are all happy and well. I knew I should not have gone on yesterdays bike ride. I managed the hill, going up it. Coming back down it, I got a nail in my tire :( The hill is the half way point! 4 miles. Luckily for me we had a spare tube with us even though it was the wrong size we put it on. While changing the tire, I was bitten to pieces by the mosquitos. 7 Large bites! Im one of those people that react badly to bites. I have 7 hard round lumps on my leg the size of a 50p or dollar. The one on my bum is really itchy and Im trying not to scratch. To top it all, I got saddle sore riding home on a nearly pumped tire. I felt every bump as I went over them. Still I got back on the bike and rode it. Funny last week I had the bike with no brakes. Im starting to get a reputation for the one who has problems lol. Cant wait for my next ride.
    Kate
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Fitbitter – I’m not yet 70 so I cannot speak from personal experience about what limitations I’ll have when I am 70. However, I am hoping that by exercising and getting stronger now, that I will be less limited as I age. However, I do anticipate there will be some form of limitation. I know several people at my gym are over 70 and they all have different limitations so I’m afraid the true answer is you’ll need to discover/determine what your’s are as you go along.

I hope your doctor can help you with that process. Be aware that some doctors are not really current on the aging process and what are limitations that are truly age related and what can be overcome with the right approach. My beloved and sorely missed internist passed away in a car accident 2 years ago. I had to fire the first doctor I tried afterwards because he kept telling me my age and weight were what was causing a problem that I knew had another source. Sure enough, the second doctor that I tried (and am still with and am trusting more each visit) looked past the weight and found the source of the problem and worked with me to get it fixed.

So, some examples of limitations and how I see my elders working past/around them:

I know a man who has problems raising his right arm due to shoulder problems. If he lifts weights the shoulder is sore for days afterwards. So he does resistance exercises for his arms in the pool which don’t hurt and he is slowly seeing an improvement with his shoulder. He will probably never raise his arm in one position all the way, but the pain is improving.

I know a 93 yr old who walks a mile around the track every day and then she rides a stationary bike for ½ hour. She does this while waiting for her 71 yr old son to finish his routine. He lifts weights, does squats and I cannot list what else. I just know his strength training routine is much more than I can handle. He also credits his exercise routine for his remarkable recovery from the stroke he had last year.

One man cannot pedal a bike due to knee problems so he uses a machine that has arm pedals.

One woman uses all of the machines including the leg press but has everything set at the lowest weight possible.

I guess I’m saying you find what you can do and do it and don’t worry about what you cannot do.

Lenora I’m a murder mystery buff as well. Do you know which author you are going to pursue after you finish Grafton? Grafton and Patterson are more of what I think of as “hard core” mystery writers and I love them both. Do you also like “cozy mysteries” like Diane Mott Davison or humorous authors like Janet Evanovich? Right now I’m working my way through a historical murder mystery series set in the 1880s in Egypt by Elizabeth Peters. I love discovering new to me authors because those dang writers never write faster than I can read. Fortunately there are more authors than there are of me so I’ll never run out.

Meg from omaha – I love your story on how you met your DH. Priceless! Made me chuckle.

Michele in NC – DH will eat zucchini, corn and potatoes. That’s it. His mom and I darned near fell out of our chairs one Easter when my dad made carrot soup (Dad was a gourmet cook and made all of our holiday meals) and DH ate his entire bowl! I immediately got the recipe from Dad and DH refuses to eat it when I make it. Go figure. I on the other hand have met only 3 veggies I don’t like – peppers, leeks and fennel. Since I have had surgery I have discovered that I now like peppers (isn’t that odd?). I haven’t tried leeks or fennel yet.

Beth – I’m so sorry to hear about the headache and stomach cramps. Hope you are much better this morning. At least you know the culprit so that you can avoid aspartame in the future. Good luck to your son. I hope he finds the help he needs and can stick with.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan – I find the idea of fires so close to my home very scary. Stay safe. Sending you “Rain soon” thoughts.

Joyce, Indiana – I’m so glad you had a talk with Charlie about how he treated you. I’m both glad and sad to see he didn’t remember the conversation. Glad because it is most likely that he didn’t mean it. Sad because if he cannot remember he might not be able to change the behavior. I am very glad to read you are taking steps to take care of yourself. Put your own oxygen mask on first.

Carol in NC – May you have a speedy recovery. Sending prayers for steady hands and excellent skills to your surgeon. [I just got to your post that you are out of surgery. Hoory! On to the swift and complete healing part of this journey.]

MNMargaret - I’m not JanetR but I’ll chime in here... Bariatric patients need more protein than most people need due to the changes in how we digest our food. Typically, we are told between 60 and 80 grams of protein a day. However, different patients may have different needs. For example, when I eat 70g of protein daily my protein levels in my bloodwork are too low so I have been told to make sure I eat 80-100g daily. When eating 800-100 Cal. per day that comes up to somewhere just under 50% for me.

Mia in MI

June goal - log food every day
    Word of the month – persevere

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    hey there peep-e-ners -

I tell you, it was really nice riding to work this morning!. nothing like seeing someone on a bike off in a distance on a hill and seeing if you can catch up to him. and YES I did and I PASSED him!!! BOOO-YAHHHH!!!
    he passed me at some point, I stayed right behind him and when we got to another incline, I PASSED HIS *kitten* AGAIN! this time he stayed behind me :0) in his defense, he didn't have a road bike and the organ donor didn't have a helmet on, had he had a better bike and skinnier tires he probably would have been good competition for me. I ended up getting to work quicker because of him LOLOLOL.

fanncy - cool beans on your $500 buck score!!
    exermom - thanks for the tip but i wouldn't have fallen for that :0/
    yannie - you crack me up!
    janetr - yeay for getting your house cleaner back.!
    lilymay - take care with all those fires roin round!
    annr - lmao!! u funny too! boldy go where no chick has gone b4
    jmkmom- take care of yourself!
    when are you going to vegas italy!! we'll be at the signature!
    grandmallie - let me get you the protector for your ipad for your bday!!! you'll just have to tell me what color, size of ipad you have and your address tho
    sluts - you're such a good girl!! yeay for your self control!
    sluts - you shouldn't dick around w/your meds
    peachstategal- i do my pill giving w/pb
    welcome to the group gawworthing ! chime in whenever, we're here for ya!

Maybe something I said gave you the wrong impression - I do NOT dick around with my medications; maybe I did not proofed my posting very well. I was telling someone not to dick with theirs. Just because you are 'feeling' good' does not mean you can come off them. Being Bipolar and having a 'seizure disorder' is much like having diabetes in that you constantly have to make sure you have the proper dosage. I'll be going to my MD who Rxs meds for my Bipolar disorder on the 13th. I think he will be very pleased that I have lost the weight that I have; and, I will get weighed-in when I go there; but, only the day after at my weight loss MD's office. I always wear the same outfit to be weighed in there and that is what I go by. I just don't know if he will try to lower any of my meds. I've been very sleepy lately; this morning was the worst. I had gotten up when Louis did to get a cup of fresh coffee; but, was so unsteady on my feet that he told me to sit back down and he'd bring it to me. Had to hold it with 2 hands so I would not spill it. I hate that feeling of 'being drunk' and bumping into things and not able to get up and walk.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Barbie and Lenora ~ I just can't eat a salad without dressing. I have tried the lite creamy ones but they still have a lot of calories. Lately have opted for Kraft Olive Oil Mayo cause it just has 35 calories per Tbs.

Gave the Pom his first allergy capsule yesterday and he immediately upchucked all of his dinner. This morning I pushed it down his throat and it must have gotten stuck because he kept gagging. But, I think it stayed down. He wouldn't eat it in a hot dog bite. May try peanut butter.

Carol/Peach

Carol, try ordering the dressing on the side; and dipping eat bite of salad into it that way; you won't use nearly as much as if you poured it over the salad. I probably only dip out 1/2 Tbsp; and I think at a restaurant they come in a 2- or 3-ounce container.
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Pip - wow for sure. No wonder your lookin so good girl!! :)
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Mia in MI -Thanks for the help in explaining that. I've been working on increasing my protien as I have gotten very lax in paying attention. I think it's helping hunger wise, hopefully it will begin to show in # lost.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Half way to Chicago! Boy will I have a lot to read tonight! Hope everyone is having a great Friday! Laters...
    Cheri :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,356 Member
    Options
    Oh my word! The dinner I have just eaten was sooooooo delicious! If I had eaten it in a restaurant I would be back there the next day to have it all over again. I forced myself to NOT lick up the oil on the plate, so saved 50 cals! :laugh:

Heather UK