Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    hey there peep-e-ners -

sluts - you shouldn't dick around w/your meds

Maybe something I said gave you the wrong impression - I do NOT dick around with my medications; maybe I did not proofed my posting very well. I was telling someone not to dick with theirs. Just because you are 'feeling' good' does not mean you can come off them. Being Bipolar and having a 'seizure disorder' is much like having diabetes in that you constantly have to make sure you have the proper dosage. I'll be going to my MD who Rxs meds for my Bipolar disorder on the 13th. I think he will be very pleased that I have lost the weight that I have; and, I will get weighed-in when I go there; but, only the day after at my weight loss MD's office. I always wear the same outfit to be weighed in there and that is what I go by. I just don't know if he will try to lower any of my meds. I've been very sleepy lately; this morning was the worst. I had gotten up when Louis did to get a cup of fresh coffee; but, was so unsteady on my feet that he told me to sit back down and he'd bring it to me. Had to hold it with 2 hands so I would not spill it. I hate that feeling of 'being drunk' and bumping into things and not able to get up and walk.

my bad!!!!!!!!!! when I was on anti-depressants I got off of them cuz I THOUGHT I felt fine.. BAD MISTAKE, so I know what you mean, you THINK you're ok but no go Charlie!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    safe travels csofled!!

cityjane - YOU GO GIRL!

kATEKY - SO sorry to hear about your tire issue. i have been BLESSED to only have one flat by myself in all my years of riding. one time and that was on one of my MS rides. i didn't know what it felt like but it felt weird. we were on our way back and it was my 1st time doing the 80mile route on day one. we stopped at the rest stop and they fixed it got down the road and i GOT ANOTHER ONE ON THE SAME TIRE!!!!!!!!!! I ONLY HAD 10 more miles to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to make the 80 miles!!!!!!!!!!!! a support truck picked me and the bike up while my husband kept riding. if i was smart i should have had him take me back to the rest stop so he could fix it again and i would have finished the 80 miles. oh well.
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Janet – Hang in there. I’m confident the change in protein will start showing up in your numbers. I’ve noticed a renewed downward trend in the scale since I have been much more careful to get all my protein and only eat carbs once all my other nutritional goals are met. I also noticed a slight uptick in my energy level when I started to eat more protein. My doctor had warned me that it is possible to eat too much protein so I was making sure I did not go over their recommendation only to discover that I needed even more than the normal recommendation. Those 3 month blood workups are a right royal pain, but I sure am glad to know they are keeping close track to ensure I get the correct nutrients.

LOL! I just noticed that I wrote that I eat between 800 and 100 cal. per day. Um, nope. That would be 800-1000.

Mia in MI

June goal - log food every day
    Word of the month – persevere

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Even though we haven't heard whether our appraisal for our house is okay our realtor and closing agent are still setting us up as if they are. Today hopefully we will get the rest of our things packed. Tomorrow we will have help from a friend and his son moving our large furniture. Today I did my strong lift 5X5. I am glad that we will be home instead of at the hotel because I was worried about being able to do my weightlifting.

Carol in NC - I am glad that you are out of surgery! I hope everything went well and you improve quickly.

Heather-very interesting about your DH and his twin. Have a good visit!

MNMargaret- when you mentioned Como Park that brought back a lot of memories. Did you ever go on the pony ride? My dad got free tickets from his friend for the rides there. my DB and DSIL got married there. Do you remember the giant tortoise?

Pip - you're so competitive! Good for you kicking his butt! No wonder you're in such good shape.

Grits - that is so good to hear about your DGD it is amazing how well she turned out with the odds that she was facing.

Terri - have fun at the concert! I was at a concert in Oshkosh one time a long time ago I can't remember what it was called the Rockfest I think.

Yvonne - thanks for the info on the appraisal. We are being patient and hopefully we will be moved in to our new house and out of our old on Thursday.

Kate- well it sounds like you had quite the experience on your bike rides. Hopefully next time it will be a good one! Although they say it always happens in threes.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,094 Member
    Options
    Janetr and Miathanks for the info on the diet. I too would have a hard time getting that much protein in a day without using protein powder or something like that. I can see you have an extra challenge, but worth the surgery and new diet to become healthy.

The yellow desk has its original paint on it. For me that is part of its charm. It has never been refinished and it is well over 100 years old. I had a distant relative in the early 1900's who collected antiques before it was fashionable, because my grandmother was in India when she past away her brother got the more priceless antiques. I found out she is the one who painted the daffodil painting. My mother who is having trouble remembering much of anything remembered that painting. Because I had posted it here on this site when I was in St. Louis I was able to show her what a wonderful job Laura did restoring it. Made my day.

The company I used did not seem to have a good tracking system to find out where the damage took place, so I did write a review that reflected that.

Simple pleasure today when I saw a Monarch caterpillar on one our our Milk Weeds in our Garden. They are having a hard time in the U.S. If this one makes it. It will be one of the super Monarchs that do not lay eggs, but fly all the way back to Mexico. I learned that at our Science Museum in a film called Flight of the Monarchs. I like to think of our group like those butterflies. We have lived strong lives to enable us to tackle the problems we have. Our struggle with weight is one such example. We can do this together.

My word for this year is Strength. Seems fitting.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    Janet – Hang in there. I’m confident the change in protein will start showing up in your numbers. I’ve noticed a renewed downward trend in the scale since I have been much more careful to get all my protein and only eat carbs once all my other nutritional goals are met. I also noticed a slight uptick in my energy level when I started to eat more protein. My doctor had warned me that it is possible to eat too much protein so I was making sure I did not go over their recommendation only to discover that I needed even more than the normal recommendation. Those 3 month blood workups are a right royal pain, but I sure am glad to know they are keeping close track to ensure I get the correct nutrients.

LOL! I just noticed that I wrote that I eat between 800 and 100 cal. per day. Um, nope. That would be 800-1000.

Mia in MI

June goal - log food every day
    Word of the month – persevere

Thanks for the info and the encouragement. That's about where I am calorie wise. Maybe closer to the 1000 most days.

Janetr OKC
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone... ((((group hugs now))))).. There has been posts on medication, and I thought I would chime in. I am my husbands weekly med's organizer. It involves filling the week container, then counting pills to see if I have a full week of other meds. Today for example, I counted out his anti-rejection med Tacrolimus, and he only had 5 days worth, after filling his week container. So then I have to call the pharmacy at the hospital in Portland to order it for the week after next. They always give me grief because Tricare won't cover a prescrip so soon, but his doctor hasn't bothered to change the dosage of the perscription so it is always short 20 pills, which is 2 days worth. We are doing our part and emailing doc, but still shows old prescript. When its a mail order thing I have to be so bossy or it just doesn't get sent on time, and we CANT afford to miss days of the medicine. Its frustrating. But I get my chiefs wife knickers on and get it done. Its just tiring to do it most every month....

Nice start to the morning watching Elk move across the field by our apartment, eating my cereal out on the balcony while the coastal fog moving through the air. Could hear my Bald Eagle couple squalking back and forth high in a certain tree they sit together on. Sometimes they sit together on a certain larger branch, sometimes one is on one branch the other higher up. Even Eagles need their alone time from their mate...

Today I am having homemade bean soup that is simmering. Filling but a lot of sodium. For dinner just boiling some peeled sweet potato pieces and mashing it with applesauce. Snack is walnuts. Yes, I eat really simply, but right now its freeing to not make myself complicated recipe foods. I make my family meals, don't get me wrong, but I am just playing chef then. Its not really what I want to have. I have come to the realization that its not my job to change their eating habits....working on mine is hard enough! The Navy killed my husbands taste buds....REALLY!!! My teenager I throw great food at, but he is picky. At least once a week I do make KILLER huge breakfast meals....my sons favorite food. So eggs, bacon, tea and toast...and he pigs!

my motto for the day.... The Most Important Key in Food Preparation is my MOOD!
    Becca by the beach feeling blessed. :smile:
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Mia in MI last time I had the lab work done (first time since being on Medicare), Medicare wouldn't cover the cost of all the lab work. I ended up paying almost $300. I was thinking I might see if my primary care doc could order them. They told me Medicare didn't pay because the doc put Obesity as the diagnosis and they don't conver obesity. Ugh
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Mia in MI last time I had the lab work done (first time since being on Medicare), Medicare wouldn't cover the cost of all the lab work. I ended up paying almost $300. I was thinking I might see if my primary care doc could order them. They told me Medicare didn't pay because the doc put Obesity as the diagnosis and they don't conver obesity. Ugh

I can relate to you...... Once I went in for a "well checkup". We talked about hormone replacement therapy, obesity, how great my blood pressure was, life in general... and what did the doc put down as a reason I had an appointment? You guessed it...obesity...which Tricare didn't cover....I yelled at them to change it and they did!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    fancy - I think I am competitive with myself, not against anyone that I know. if we were running together, I wouldn't have a thought of "I want to make sure that I can run faster than you or that I finish first" I dunno the biking thing I think of myself as a slow rider. Kirby and I ride a lot together and I have told him when we first started this, I don't want to be faster than you because I will never be faster, I just want to be a bit better and to be able to keep up with you so I don't slow you down and make it a boring ride for you. even now, i'm better but I am only as good as I can be and I don't want to be a speed demon, I just want to be able to keep up
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Oh my word! The dinner I have just eaten was sooooooo delicious! If I had eaten it in a restaurant I would be back there the next day to have it all over again. I forced myself to NOT lick up the oil on the plate, so saved 50 cals! :laugh:

Heather UK
    And of course you never shared what you actually ate lol. I too had deliciousness for dinner. Home made butternut squash and spinach soup. Added chili and onion for some heat and cumin and turmeric for some spice. Added water but some people add stock to their soups. Learnt the hard way you bake the squash before peeling it. I recon it was a good work out to peel it before cooking lmao.
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    fancy - I think I am competitive with myself, not against anyone that I know. if we were running together, I wouldn't have a thought of "I want to make sure that I can run faster than you or that I finish first" I dunno the biking thing I think of myself as a slow rider. Kirby and I ride a lot together and I have told him when we first started this, I don't want to be faster than you because I will never be faster, I just want to be a bit better and to be able to keep up with you so I don't slow you down and make it a boring ride for you. even now, i'm better but I am only as good as I can be and I don't want to be a speed demon, I just want to be able to keep up
    Thats how biking makes you, you dont want to be the fastest, you just want to have fun and keep up.
    Annr, if you poached the egg and grilled the bacon and had a wholemeal piece of toast, that isnt that bad calorie wise. What do you put in your bean soup? I having been making bean chili because I love spicy hot food. I use quorn mince to keep it low cal.
    Kate
  • fanncy0626
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Help! I am cleaning up my kitchen cupboards. I don't know if you remember me telling you are not that my husband is in food sales. I am finding all sorts of goodies in the cupboard. Do you remember that huge chocolate bar that I said that if I went berserk I might be sitting in the middle of the floor gnawing on it! I would like to throw half of what I found away. But I am to thrifty. I think I need to give it away.

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    janetr7476 wrote: »

I can relate to you...... Once I went in for a "well checkup". We talked about hormone replacement therapy, obesity, how great my blood pressure was, life in general... and what did the doc put down as a reason I had an appointment? You guessed it...obesity...which Tricare didn't cover....I yelled at them to change it and they did!

Tricare paid for my gastric bypass and they have covered all other blood work. I'm now on Tricare for Life because I turned 65 in November. My husband will be 65 Sunday and they got his Medicare messed up and Tricare stopped June 1 cuz he was going to turn 65 so now no coverage til Medicare kicks in. They said they have approved it and all just have to get the cards done etc, but in the mean time he was supposed to go to physical therapy and can't yet. It's always something lol

• pipcd34
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Help! I am cleaning up my kitchen cupboards. I don't know if you remember me telling you are not that my husband is in food sales. I am finding all sorts of goodies in the cupboard. Do you remember that huge chocolate bar that I said that if I went berserk I might be sitting in the middle of the floor gnawing on it! I would like to throw half of what I found away. But I am to thrifty. I think I need to give it away.

Mary from Minnesota

give it away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T YOU DARE EAT IT!!! DON'T MAKE ME GO OVER THERE!!!
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Am here - been reading, but still in recovery from the DD, DSIL and the grands. Found this from another poster, and it's interesting--poking holes in a lot of the mythology around weight loss/maintenance and metabolism. I agree with the vast majority of it, thought y'all might find it interesting. Please note, not mine, so I didn't correct the typos.

1. Sugar is bad. No, sugar is not bad for you. Sugar is just something that make food taste good and provides energy in short bursts. Sugar is not addictive, sugar does not prevent weight loss, and it is not satan reincarnate. You can eat sugar be in a calorie deficit, and you will lose weight; consequently, you can restrict sugar, be in a calorie surplus, and you will gain weight. Sugar is just sugar, and fruit sugar is not superior to added sugar.
    2. Clean Eating. Aside from being an ambiguous, undefinable term, it is also unnecessary for weight loss, or any other goal that you may have. If you want to lose weight and be healthy then just hit your micro/macro/calorie targets for the day.
    3. Good/Bad foods. There are no good or bad foods. Food = food and it's purpose is to provide nutrients and energy. Assigning moral judgements to foods is going to set one up for an unhealthy relationship with food. Again, concentrate on hitting macros/micors/calorie targets and your overall diet will be one that is healthy.
    4. No carbs after 6 pm. This is utterly ridiculous and has no bearing on weight loss or any other goal. It is a total myth.
    5. You need to eat five to six meals a day to keep metabolism going. No, you don't. Eating one meal, four meals, or 24 meals every hour has nothing to do with metabolism.
    6. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. No, it is not. And you don't need to eat breakfast to get your metabolism going.
    7. My metabolism died. No, it did not. If you are alive then your metabolism is still going. Can you suffer a lower metabolism through chronic undereating, yes, but that does not mean that it died. Consequently, you can also not "kickstart" your metabolism, there is no such thing.
    8. Starvation Mode - If you eat under 1200 calories, or skipped snack four of six, you are NOT in starvation mode. In order to be in starvation mode you would need to eat almost nothing for a prolonged period of time, lets say one month, and then you may go into starvation mode where your body starts to turn on itself for fuel. See the minnesota starvation experiment.
    9. You are not eating enough, and that is why you are gaining/can't lose weight. Again, totally ridiculous. If this was the case then why do people die of starvation? Or why are starving kids in Africa skinny, and not obese.
    10. I am not losing weight, I must be gaining muscle. Probably not. If you are eating 1200 calories a day and not engaging in some kind of progressive overload training, then you are not going to gain muscle in a deficit. The exception to this would be untrained beginners who can build muscle in a deficit when they engage in a heavy lifting program with progressive overload build into it.
    11. I need a detox cleanse to kickstart my diet. No, you don't. Your body already naturally detoxifies itself, and detoxes are just a way to cleanse your wallet.
    12. Dr Oz Said…Ignore everything that comes out of the mouth of that charlatan.
    13. CICO does not apply to me. Yes, it does. Just because you think you are outside of the realm of math and physics, does not make it so. Are there complex factors that must be factored into the CI and CO side, yes, but that does not negate the formula. Even those with medical conditions follow the basic pricing of calories in vs calories out.

At the end of the day, it really just boils down to this:
    • Enter your stats into MFP.
    • Set it for x amount weight loss
    • get a food scale and weigh all solid foods
    • make sure you use accurate MFP database entries
    • Realize no foods are bad, and that yes, you can eat pizza, etc; however, make sure that the majority of your calories are nutrient dense.
    • Make sure you hit your micro/macros targets
    • Find a form of exercise that you enjoy and do it.
    • Repeat until you hit your goals….

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    Hidee ho ladies,still at work,my girlfriend sent me a 16 pg article on secondary hyperparathyroidism, Holy Cr-- is it scary....she is a nurse at Davita Dyalisis
    But I will get through it with grace and dignity ...
    Pip,your so sweet ,I re ordered another cover for mine....but please PM me your address please .will check in when I get home.
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Annr wrote "Nice start to the morning watching Elk move across the field by our apartment, eating my cereal out on the balcony while the coastal fog moving through the air. Could hear my Bald Eagle couple squalking back and forth high in a certain tree they sit together on. Sometimes they sit together on a certain larger branch, sometimes one is on one branch the other higher up. Even Eagles need their alone time from their mate..."

Where are you living that you see Elk and hear Bald Eagles in the morning. Sounds great.
    Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    edited June 2015
    Options
    o85ieap0an46.jpg
    This is only part of what I am talking about! I agree with Pip it must go!!
    Sorry it is upside down! But you get the idea.

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    Options
    FANNCY - ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    The story that I told you about my first date with my DH on his motorcycle took place six years ago today! And I would still ride on the bike!

Mary from Minnesota