MFP Cycling Club

Options

Replies

• megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Your right, the hills and gravel on the trails, and when we go off the trails is completely different then when we ride the paved trails. I like to do both as it really gives you a great workout, plus a great ride.

My husband put different grips on my bike. I loved my old ones but he insisted I would like these better. I don't, so my hands are sore tonight and because of the wrist I did a lot of one handed riding. Might have to stick the ole brace on again until things improve. And I had a asthma attack. But even with all that it was a lovely lovely ride and I can't wait to ride tomorrow.

Oh, and I would love the recipe for Honey Mustard Lemon Chicken. That looked soooooo yummy.
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hey, does anyone have a good quality bike trainer they would recommend? Due to lack of space, I'm getting rid of my elliptical, and think I want to put a trainer in the garage for rainy days like today. Any input is welcome. :flowerforyou:
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Your right, the hills and gravel on the trails, and when we go off the trails is completely different then when we ride the paved trails. I like to do both as it really gives you a great workout, plus a great ride.

My husband put different grips on my bike. I loved my old ones but he insisted I would like these better. I don't, so my hands are sore tonight and because of the wrist I did a lot of one handed riding. Might have to stick the ole brace on again until things improve. And I had a asthma attack. But even with all that it was a lovely lovely ride and I can't wait to ride tomorrow.

Oh, and I would love the recipe for Honey Mustard Lemon Chicken. That looked soooooo yummy.

What kind of grips did he get you?

I got these grips.....

gr401a01_____lrg__twst.jpg

I had to hunt around a bit to set them up right, set them up a bit for more support of your wrists.

I then put butterfly barends on too, to give me several hand positions, important for them long rides, and the bar ends are great for pounding uphill!

here is the link to the recipe http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113202-honey-mustard-lemon-chicken
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Hey, does anyone have a good quality bike trainer they would recommend? Due to lack of space, I'm getting rid of my elliptical, and think I want to put a trainer in the garage for rainy days like today. Any input is welcome. :flowerforyou:
    I have a CycleOps, but GIANT makes a really nice one too, quieter than mine. You can get a decent one for around $150.00 American. Hope that helps. :smile:
  • skywalker
    Options
    I'd love that chicken recipe too, Stu! :bigsmile:

Well, I'm checking in for the week. I had planned (with 2 friends) to do a 60+mile ride today, but mother nature had other plans. We set out this morning and got in about 25 miles before it started raining. We put the bikes in the garage thinking, maybe it's just a passing shower and we can get back out. Well... the sky opened up and POURED! Then, it kept pouring all day. It's still drizzling now, 12 hours later. :grumble: All was not lost though. We decided to go for a late breakfast and when I got home, I set my bike up on my trainer and pedaled away for another 26.5 miles to end my day at 51.5. I think I can live with that. :laugh:

My total for the week is 111.26miles. I'd like to improve on that next week. :smile:
    Happy pedaling, everyone! :drinker:
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hello All!! I am Jill. Rob and I just bought our very first bike 2 weeks ago. We went to a bike shop and got fitted. I got the Trek 7.1 ladies bike, but I have 30 days to switch out if I am not satisfied. I am considering taking it back and getting a man's bike- 7.3. No reason really other than I think I like the way the men's bike looks. I am sure that there are differences and I will probably change my mind after trying out a man's bike...who knows. Anyway, for the ladies out there...do you have the ladies or men's bike. If you have a man's bike is there any particular reason you chose it over the ladies bike. Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, I could also use some cycling friends to learn from. I have been mostly a runner up until now and I am trying to appreciate both sports. ~Jill~
  • skywalker
    Options
    Hello All!! I am Jill. Rob and I just bought our very first bike 2 weeks ago. We went to a bike shop and got fitted. I got the Trek 7.1 ladies bike, but I have 30 days to switch out if I am not satisfied. I am considering taking it back and getting a man's bike- 7.3. No reason really other than I think I like the way the men's bike looks. I am sure that there are differences and I will probably change my mind after trying out a man's bike...who knows. Anyway, for the ladies out there...do you have the ladies or men's bike. If you have a man's bike is there any particular reason you chose it over the ladies bike. Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, I could also use some cycling friends to learn from. I have been mostly a runner up until now and I am trying to appreciate both sports. ~Jill~
    There are certain aspects of a women's bike that are better. Usually the handlebars are not as wide (since, in general our shoulders are not as broad) and a women's seat is different. If you haven't read through this whole thread, back track a bit and there is some info concerning saddles. That being said, if you prefer the men's frame, handlebars and seats can be swapped out. I tend to like the men's colors better. In fact my road frame is a men's, but I have women's handlebars and saddle. My old mtn. bike was men's, handlebars and all. I actually took the grips off and sawed an inch off each side and put the grips back on. :laugh: Could have used a better seat though. Unfortunately, I don't have it anymore and am looking to get a new one by next summer.
    Anyway, welcome to the club and I hope that info helps. :happy:
  • Christine0111
    Options
    HI everyone... just looking around and I fell into your group I love cycling and try to do about 15kms per day. I have registered to do a long ride next June (2011) callled "Conquer Cancer" I think its a great cause and helps me get in shape in the meantime. The route will be from Toronto, Ontario to Niagra Falls, Ontario (200kms) in two days. Should be a blast!

Christine
  • gwynh
    gwynh Posts: 160
    Options
    I had a house full of young 12 year old boys for the past day and a half, so I couldn't go for a ride this morning as I wanted. :grumble: But after church, I was able to drag my son with me on a short 30 min 6 mile ride. Better than nothing.

I am happy to see all the new "posters". Welcome to our motivational club.

I weighed myself to only find that I had not lost any weight this week. :mad: I bet it is water retention. (female time... ewwww)

Also, I have not eaten well this week with all the birthday cake both hanging around my kitchen. If it is in the house, I have to eat it. Or so I think. That is why I don't buy that stuff. But the kids like it.

@Skywalker, isn't riding a trainer super boring, staring at the walls?? I guess that is like riding on a stationary bike. I think that is boring. But, good that you added an extra 26 miles or so.
  • skywalker
    Options
    HI everyone... just looking around and I fell into your group I love cycling and try to do about 15kms per day. I have registered to do a long ride next June (2011) callled "Conquer Cancer" I think its a great cause and helps me get in shape in the meantime. The route will be from Toronto, Ontario to Niagra Falls, Ontario (200kms) in two days. Should be a blast!

Christine
    That ride next year sounds great! Welcome to our group! :drinker:
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Welcome Christine, Jill and Rob, glad you found us!

Christine, that ride sounds like a lot of fun!

Well today, my legs were a bit stiff, but not bad, I did my C25K run/walk Week1 Day2, it was not easy, but it was not hard!

My cycling clothes came!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

The shorts are a bit tight, and so are the jerseys, but not for long I hope!

The new shoes are SO VERY comfortable, and I got a mirror thingy for my helmet, should make traffic riding much safer!:happy:
  • Matt_S_1978
    Matt_S_1978 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I have a rusty, saddle wobbling mountain bike with full mountain bike tyres but I am still commuting to work by road 3 days a week on it. Averaging about 3.2 miles (5.14km) each way. To work is all downhill and back home is uphill. So far since choosing the bike to get to work I have done 19.50 miles (31.38kms)

Next payday I am hoping to buy a proper hybrid bike with road tyres and start going out for rides for a long time and distance.

Will check back again soon :)
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    Well I wasn't aching after my ride on saturday but boy am I aching now! Could barely get out of bed this morning, it's all in the left side of my neck/shoulder/shoulderblade, could it be cycling related? I don't know how else I could have done it.

I'm taking the day off, it's that bad (I have quite a physical job and drive a lot, can't turn my head to the right so not really safe!). I'm gonna walk to the shops and back for exercise (about 3 miles), had a hot bath already, hoping it'll ease off. It's bad enough for me to yelp when I move my head too much...my boyfriend is 8 years younger than me and thinks it's hilarious how I sound like an old lady :mad:

Apart from that I am avidly searching for a bike on ebay and in the classifieds, i'm determined to get one! I've worked out that for extra exercise I could cycle to the riding school (4 miles away), swimming pool, and indoor climbing (when I finally start doing it). There's probably a yoga class in cycling distance too! Can't wait, I have no car (only a work-only van) so it'll be great to have free transport :)
  • lauz45
    Options
    Just got my timechip results from saturday's ride, did it in 1hr 16mins, 10 of us did the fun ride distance and I beat the others by an hour, amazing! I'm hooked now :) There was 150 in total, don't know if i'll ever be ready for the 80 mile one!
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    @skywalker, thanks much for the trainer suggestions. I'll check them out.
    @lauz, it's very possible that your neck and shoulder pain is from cycling. I have had a lot of luck with some basic yoga to relieve that.

And now for the moment you've all been waiting for, yes, the moment when you learn which saddle I picked! (Because I know each of you is very concerned for the comfort of my derriere.)
    Specialized Ruby!
    I rode it for an hour this morning (got a break in the rain), and was really pleased with it, so will take my bike into the shop tomorrow and have them set it up properly. I set up the demo seat myself, but think it probably needs to move back a bit, and maybe raise the seat height a very small amount. The search is over! Finally! :bigsmile:
  • lauz45
    Options
    Thanks :smile: i'll attempt some yoga later and see if it helps (I used to go to classes).
    That saddle is really nice!
  • Maureenkm
    Options
    I am 55 years old women and broke my neck about 8 years ago in a car accident - I am now walking without pain, :love: :love: I can't do much excercise, but I found I can ride my bike without pain.

I LOVE CYCLING!!! Best thing ever!! I just got a trek 7000 last month - I've been riding 5 days a week and ride 25 - 30 miles a day - It's been helping me with my weight lose. My goal is to reach 50 miles a day - YEAH!!!!
  • tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    I am 55 years old women and broke my neck about 8 years ago in a car accident - I am now walking without pain, :love: :love: I can't do much excercise, but I found I can ride my bike without pain.

I LOVE CYCLING!!! Best thing ever!! I just got a trek 7000 last month - I've been riding 5 days a week and ride 25 - 30 miles a day - It's been helping me with my weight lose. My goal is to reach 50 miles a day - YEAH!!!!

Welcome and congratulations on overcoming the accident and finding cycling. Hope to hear more about your rides.
  • shari253
    shari253 Posts: 202
    Options
    OK, here's the "afraid" person back again, lol.

I started the couch to 5k running program this morning and it felt great. It made me want to cycle. So my new plan is to do C25K M-W-F, and bike T - Th.

SOOOOO... tomorrow is the big cycling kickoff day!! This time I will do it. I'm too scared to ride near my house, as we are on a county road with gravel shoulders, hills, and speeders. So I think I will throw my bike into my mini van and drive down to an off-road paved trail that is nearby. Today I will check my bike out and see if it needs air or whatnot.

I will report back! Wish me luck!

shari.
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Great to see so many new faces here. I can tell you from experience that your butts aren't going to be so happy for a while :laugh:
    @lisa AT LAST !!!
    @mat_lock I love your picture. Is this really you?
    @shari go for it.

I haven't been posting my cycling news because I haven't got any. I'm on a holiday at a greek island and it's too windy to ride :grumble: On the bright side the beaches are awesome, I swim a lot and I've completed the c25k. I can officially run for half an hour non-stop :glasses:
    As soon as I start riding the bike I'll keep you posted. Have a great week